Yamu is a simple Earthling before being brought under Babidi's Manipulation Sorcery, making his appearance presumably change drastically and giving him unnatural powers. He also became very pale and brutish in nature. He is not nearly as big as his partner, but his muscle mass is still incredibly high.
Yamu seems more intelligent and sane than Spopovich due to being able to control his power. As such, he also does not tolerate senseless carnage especially if it's not part of his immediate agenda, as evidenced by his telling Spopovich to spare Videl.
Dragon Ball Z
Majin Buu Saga
Yamu is paired up with Spopovich and sent to the 25th World Tournament to gather energy for Babidi, the evil wizard. The energy they are sent to gather is needed to awaken Majin Buu. Just as Spopovich was about to murder Videl, Yamu then angrily orders him to stop fooling around.
After Kibito and Shin ask Gohan to turn into a Super Saiyan 2, Yamu and Spopovich enter the ring and drain all of Gohan's energy with the Energy-Suction Device, with Shin deliberately paralyzing Gohan, so Shin could later follow them. Then they fly off to their master, while unknown to Yamu and Spopovich, Shin and some of the Dragon Team are following them. After Yamu and Spopovich give the energy to Babidi, the wizard decides to kill Spopovich, feeling he is no longer useful. When Yamu sees this, he tries to escape but is killed by Pui Pui, one of Babidi's head cronies, using his Pui Pui Nice Shot.
- Manga and Anime
Yamu is weaker than Pui Pui, being easily killed by him, and is close to Spopovich in power.
- Video games
In Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury, Yamu is stronger than Spopovich.
In World Mission, while empowered with Villainous Mode Yamu with assistance of an empowered Spopovich is able to steal energy from Great Saiyaman 3. However in his normal Majin Fighter state he is no match for the combined might of Beat, Note, Tapion, and Minotia despite the aid of Hoi, Spopovich, Pui Pui, and Dabura. Additionally, Beat, Note, Tapion, and Minotia are able to defeat Dark Yamu despite him having support from Dark Pui Pui, Dark Spopovich, Dark Yamu, Dark Dabura, and Post-Transformation Hirudegarn.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki, after being put under Babidi's spell.
- Ki Blast – Yamu is able to perform ki blasts in Dragon Ball Heroes and World Mission.
- Energy Drain - A Energy Absorption technique where Yamu stabs the opponent with his Energy Absorber and drains their energy to inflict damage. His Super Attack in Dragon Ball Heroes, World Mission, and Dokkan Battle.
- Majin Buu Resurrection – First, Spopovich charges at the opponent and back hand punches them away. Then, he flies after the opponent and again back hand punches the opponent away. Next, he shouts "I win!", as Yamu appears and the two chase after the opponent. Spopovich grabs the opponent by the neck, and Yamu stabs and drains health with an Energy Absorber. When finished, Yamu takes the energy container out of the opponent and flies off as Spopovich lets go and stomps the opponent down into the ground, inflicting very painful damage.
- Energy Absorber - A device provided to him by Babidi to used to collect energy for Majin Buu's revival. Used as part of his and Spopovich's Majin Buu Resurrection team attack against Gohan in the manga and anime. In Dragon Ball Heroes and World Mission he uses it as part of his Energy Drain Super Attack.
Forms & Power-Ups
Main articles: Manipulation Sorcery and Unlock Potential After falling under Babidi's control due to the evil within his heart, Yamu's latent potential is drawn out increasing his muscle mass (albeit to a lesser degree than his comrade Spopovich who was already pretty muscular before having his latent potential drawn out by Babidi's magic) and causing an "M" mark to appear on his forehead. Like Spopovich, the form grants Yamu superhuman abilities such as Flight, Ki manipulation, and greater durability. However Yamu is more calm and level headed. Additionally, Yamu retains some of his humanity and decency, despite his evil nature.
This is his primary form during the Majin Buu conflict and in most video game appearances. In World Mission, it is called Yamu (Normal).
In World Mission, Majin Yamu can utilize the Villainous Mode power up during Chapter 2, Sub Chapter 2, "Hero Town in Danger!". In this state, he gains a dark purple aura that produces purple lightning and glowing red eyes. He also retains the appearance of his Majin Yamu state.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
In Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Yamu makes a cameo appearance during Spopovich's Ultimate Blast.
In World Mission, the Yamu, Spopovich, and Dabura of the game world escape into reality and attack Hero Town while seeking out energy for Majin Buu's resurrection. It is revealed that they detected Beat and Note's high power levels which Great Saiyaman 3 concludes had increased due to their physical battles in the game world (unlike Great Saiyaman 3, Beat and Note lack more advanced ki manipulation abilities outside the game world thus are unable to suppress their ki while in their normal reality). Since Beat and Note can't fight in their own reality, Great Saiyaman 3 confronts the three villains himself to protect Hero Town, Beat, and Note.
- Japanese: Naoki Tatsuta (DBZ), Yasuhiro Takato (DB Kai)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Wellington Lima (DBZ), Ramon Campos (DBZ Kai)
- Latin American Spanish dub: Ricardo Brust
- Catalan dub: Ramon Hernández
- Both Spopovich and Yamu have some similarities with Nappa and Vegeta. First of all, Nappa and Spopovich have similar looks; they are both bald, big, and muscular fighters. Also, both fighters enjoy making their victims suffer (Spopovich toys with Videl at the tournament in a way similar to how Nappa toys with the Z Fighters). Similar to Vegeta, Yamu tries to calm his partner down during this fight. For example, Vegeta gave the Z Fighters some time to wait for Goku and Yamu stopped Spopovich from killing Videl at the Tournament. Also Yamu seems to be the stronger fighter, which also applies to Nappa and Vegeta (he is also the smaller one). Interestingly, in the Ocean dub, Yamu and Spopovich are voiced by Brian Drummond and Michael Dobson, the voice actors of Vegeta and Nappa.
- Unlike Spopovich who's normal human appearance during the 24th World Martial Arts Tournament was shown in a flashback, Yamu's appearance before falling under Babidi's control is unknown.