"Paragus: It looks as though he's managed to transform somehow, taking on the incredible strength the Saiyans have whenever they become Great Apes. Only he's remaining in his human form, retaining his speed and agility.
This state allows the user to access the powers of the Great Ape but without the transformation itself.
The Wrathful form has two stages. In its initial stage, Broly appears the same as in his base form but with yellow eyes and a green, sparking aura. In the second stage, his hair spikes up like that of a Super Saiyan and he gains increased bulk and height.
Usage and Power
According to Paragus, it is a utilization of the Great Ape form's power, physical strength, and durability in humanoid form. Although, it is extremely difficult to control. This means that the combatant's power is multiplied by a factor of ten but without losing any agility or maneuverability due to the large size of the Great Ape form. A drawback of this state is that using this form also hurts the user due to the constant eruption of their power, with the growls Broly lets forth in this form being due to pain rather than fighting spirit.
Simply powering up into the first stage of the Wrathful form caused Broly to put forth as much power as Super Saiyan God Vegeta's God Heat Flash, and he took a blow to the face from the prince without flinching. Upon taking on the complete second stage of Wrathful, Broly proved to be around equal in power to Super Saiyan Goku. His power eventually reached the point where he was able to thrash around Super Saiyan God Goku, but reached his limit after Goku went Super Saiyan Blue to gain the edge.
In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Broly first shows signs of this state against Daigen, with his eyes briefly flashing yellow when strangling the combatant. When increasing his power while fighting Super Saiyan Vegeta, Broly's eyes briefly turn yellow once more.
Broly utilizes the initial stage of this form against Super Saiyan God Vegeta after losing to him the first round of their fight. In this state, Broly is able to quickly overwhelm Vegeta in their rematch before Goku steps in. In his subsequent battle with Goku, Broly takes on the full version of the form and despite his inferior fighting skill, he was able to easily keep up with, and eventually, force Goku to transform to Super Saiyan and moments later Super Saiyan God. He proceeds to easily overpower Super Saiyan God Goku to the point of him having to turn Super Saiyan Blue. Even though Goku is using Super Saiyan Blue, Broly proceeds to be somewhat of a challenge to him, although Broly's eventually overpowered.
Variations and advanced levels
- Super Saiyan C-type - In Broly, the result of a Wrathful Saiyan going Super Saiyan.
- Legendary Super Saiyan - The fully-powered Super Saiyan C-type form.
Video Game Appearances
The form debuts in Dokkan Battle as Broly (Wrathful). In Legends, it is known as Broly: Fury. In FighterZ, Wrathful appears as the default form for Broly (DBS).
- There have been several other occurrences of Saiyans seemingly using the power of Great Ape without changing forms:
- In the end of the King Piccolo Saga, Goku appeared to gain the power of the Great Ape in his base form - with an image of the Great Ape appearing after his potential was unlocked and when he finished off King Piccolo.
- In Dragonball Evolution, Goku taps into the power of Oozaru while retaining his base form, during his final battle against Lord Piccolo. He is briefly shown with red eyes, and he roars in the same vein as an Oozaru, but remains in control after doing so.
- When facing Raditz in Dragon Ball Legends, Shallot appeared to summon the power of Great Ape in base form as his eyes turned red and the image of a Great Ape's face appeared in his aura.
- The Wrath State shares some traits with Super Saiyan 4 introduced in Dragon Ball GT, both transformations utilize the power and strength of a Great Ape without taking on the giant monkey form. However, while users of Super Saiyan 4 are conscious of their actions, those in the Wrath State such as Broly become feral and uncontrollable.
- The golden eyes and power restraint aspect of the Wrath State also bears great resemblance to the appearance of Sun Wukong, whose eyes were a fierce yellow color after an attempt to distill him into an elixir failed.