"Paragus: It looks as though he's managed to transform somehow, taking on the incredible strength the Saiyans have whenever they become Great Apes. Only he's remaining in his human form, retaining his speed and agility.
This form allows the user to access the powers of the Great Ape but without the full-body transformation, instead remaining in humanoid form.
The Wrathful form initially grants Broly a golden aura that quickly becomes a vibrant and sparking green color, as well as yellow eyes. Upon the full manifestation of the form, his hair also spikes up like that of a Super Saiyan, acquiring exponentially-increased muscle mass and height as well as a much larger aura pressure.
Usage and Power
According to Paragus, it is a utilization of the Great Ape form's power, physical strength, and durability in humanoid form. Although, it is extremely difficult to control. This means that the combatant's power is multiplied by a factor of ten but without losing any agility or maneuverability due to the large size of the Great Ape form. A drawback of this form is that using it also hurts the user due to the constant eruption of their power, with the growls Broly lets forth in this form being due to pain rather than fighting spirit. Another, more serious downside to the form according to Paragus is that, largely because of the nature of this power, it also leaves the user unable to control their actions, causing them to lose any sense of themselves, leaving them feral.
Simply powering up into the first stage of the Wrathful form caused Broly to put forth as much power as Super Saiyan God Vegeta's God Heat Flash, and he took a blow to the face from the prince without flinching. Upon taking on the complete second stage of Wrathful, Broly at first proved to be around equal in power to Super Saiyan Goku. His power eventually reached the point where he was able to thrash around Super Saiyan God Goku but reached his limit after Goku went Super Saiyan Blue to gain the edge.
In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Broly first shows signs of this state against Daigen, with his eyes briefly flashing yellow when strangling the combatant. When increasing his power while fighting Super Saiyan Vegeta, Broly's eyes briefly turn yellow once more.
Broly utilizes the initial stage of this form against Super Saiyan God Vegeta after losing to him the first round of their fight. In this state, Broly is able to quickly overwhelm Vegeta in their rematch before Goku steps in. In his subsequent battle with Goku, Broly takes on the full version of the form and despite his inferior fighting skill, he was able to eventually force Goku to transform to Super Saiyan and moments later Super Saiyan God. He proceeds to easily overpower Super Saiyan God Goku to the point of him having to turn Super Saiyan Blue. Even though Goku is using Super Saiyan Blue, Broly proceeds to be somewhat of a challenge to him, although Broly's eventually overpowered.
In Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero, Broly takes on the initial stage of this transformation when training with Goku to be able to control his power and drops out of it when Goku tells him to calm down.
Variations and advancements
- Legendary Super Saiyan - The resulting transformation when the Broly of Dragon Ball Super transforms into a Super Saiyan whilst having already been in his Wrathful form. In the film, when this state reaches its Full Power the user's hair becomes green.
Video Game Appearances
The form debuts in Dokkan Battle as Broly (Wrathful). In Legends, it is known as Broly: Fury. In FighterZ, Wrathful appears as the default form for Broly (DBS).
"A wig modelled after Broly's hairstyle when he is overcome with rage in the movie "Dragon Ball Super: Broly.""
— Broly Wig (Rage) Accessory description in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, there is a wig accessory called Broly Wig (Rage) based upon the hairstyle Broly has in the state which in Xenoverse 2 referred to simply as Rage. Broly Wig (Rage) can be worn by the Future Warrior regardless of race or gender. after obtaining it from the Raid Quest: "Stop the Legendary Super Saiyan! (Lite)" event.
- There have been several other occurrences of Saiyans seemingly using the power of Great Ape without changing forms:
- In the end of the King Piccolo Saga, Goku appeared to gain the power of the Great Ape in his base form - with an image of the Great Ape appearing after his potential was unlocked and when he finished off King Piccolo.
- When using the game-only technique Spirit of Saiyans, an image of a Great Ape is projected over Bardock and his eyes turn red.
- In Dragonball Evolution, Goku taps into the power of Oozaru while retaining his base form, during his final battle against Lord Piccolo. He is briefly shown with red eyes, and he roars in the same vein as an Oozaru, but remains in control after doing so.
- When facing Raditz in Dragon Ball Legends, Shallot appeared to summon the power of Great Ape in base form as his eyes turned red and the image of a Great Ape's face appeared in his aura. Additionally, while he retains his reason, he becomes extremely hostile towards Raditz and tells him that if he came for a fight, it won't be as Shallot boldly notes their confrontation will be a "Massacre".
- Additionally, an alternate Character Illustration for Gohan (Kid) (DBL01-06H) depicts Gohan's eyes turning red in Dragon Ball Legends, which may be a reference to Gohan's habit of losing his temper, which is similar to Broly's Wrathful state.
- During the Saiyan Saga, when Gohan briefly looks at a holographic version of the moon produced by Goku's Saiyan Space Pod, he briefly ends up undergoing similar mannerisms to the Wrathful form, including fighting Piccolo in a berserk manner. It is heavily implied in that case it was due to a delayed effect in transforming into a Great Ape.
- The Wrathful form shares some traits with Super Saiyan 4 introduced in Dragon Ball GT, both transformations utilize the power and strength of a Great Ape without taking on the giant monkey form. However, while users of Super Saiyan 4 are conscious of their actions, those in the Wrath State such as Broly become feral and uncontrollable.
- The golden eyes and power restraint aspect of the Wrath State also bears great resemblance to the appearance of Sun Wukong, whose eyes were a fierce yellow color after an attempt to distill him into an elixir failed.
- The Wrath State shares some traits with Pseudo Super Saiyan, including the skyward untransformed hair, increased muscle mass, and uncontrolled berserker nature.