"We do not learn martial arts to pick fights or to impress girls who will say "Oh beefcake, you're so strong, I want you." Heh. Muah. (does a kissing motion) Do you understand what I am saying? We must master the art of peace in addition to the art of war. We achieve victory by the art of war, victory is won through strategy, strategy is derived from the art of peace. However, if somebody evil threatens you or any other good innocent people with unethical force, it is your duty to defend!"
Main article: Master Roshi's Training
The first two known members of the school are Grandpa Gohan and Ox-King. Other known students of the Turtle School include Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha. The special moves which are taught to the students are the Kamehameha and Jan Ken.
Upon the completion of the student's training, Roshi would enlist them into the World Martial Arts Tournament as a test to their strength. However, he would also enlist himself under the alias as "Jackie Chun" in order to ensure his students do not win the championship, in order to prevent them from growing overconfident and neglect their future training.
Dragon Ball Online
Main articles: Dragon Ball Online and New Turtle School Master Roshi has officially retired, though Krillin founded the New Turtle School. In-game, members of the Spiritualist class may obtain the status of a Turtle Hermit through the New Turtle School. Krillin decided that the New Turtle School should put emphasis on teamwork, whereas in the anime, Master Roshi had Goku and Krillin work against one another.
Techniques of the Turtle Hermit master class are Krillin's Scattering Bullet and Goku's Super Kamehameha. Martial Artist class techniques are Jan Ken and Wolf Fang Fist, and also obtain a concentrated Kamehameha technique.
The graduates of Master Roshi's training often include 亀, the for "Turtle" (Kame), on their dogi. Characters related to Goku always seem to wear the Turtle School colors of orange and blue in homage to Goku yet do not wear the insignia. This is possibly a sign of respect for him or that the creator Akira Toriyama wished for the viewers to the visual likeness between him and his sons. First, his son Gohan is given a replica of Goku's gi in the early and later arcs of Dragon Ball Z, except that Gohan wears Piccolo's "demon" kanji rather than the Turtle School insignia during the Saiyan Saga. Had his father not abandoned the Turtle School's insignia, Gohan too would have worn it in his battle against Bojack and later Super Buu. Future Gohan also wears his father's colors (but with a replaced kanji) after his death, though it is worth noting that Future Gohan did not attend nor graduate from the Turtle School.
Goku's second son, Goten, also does not sport the Turtle School insignia despite wearing the Turtle School colors, and in adulthood (the last episodes of Dragon Ball Z), abandons the blue undershirt and keeps a similar kanji-less gi (in a similar fashion worn by Goku during his battle with Raditz). Neither of his sons have been students of Master Roshi, despite knowing the Kamehameha. This could be due to Goku and the other Z Fighters surpassing Master Roshi and taking it upon themselves to train the younger generation of warriors.
By the end of Dragon Ball Z, Goku has abandoned the orange and blue colors completely, however, Goku's granddaughter Pan wears an orange gi during the same period. In Nekomajin, Goku's disciple, Neko Majin Z, always wears his colors in the same fashion, yet wears a different symbol, "ne".
In Dragon Ball Online, the central cast of Dragon Ball Z had become famous through Gohan's book, "Groundbreaking Science". In Age 1000, earthlings still wear the Turtle School gi/colors (though it sometimes personalized with black and orange, rather than blue and orange), but it is generally associated with the offensive melee class (Martial Artist) rather than Spiritualists, which become Turtle Hermits.
- "Curvy Lady" – According to Dragon Ball: Origins, this muscular woman came with Goku at Kame House to become a student of Master Roshi.
- Launch – In one episode only. Trained only because Roshi wanted to see her in a more revealing outfit.
- Tien Shinhan – Never officially graduated.
- Chiaotzu – Never officially graduated.
- Chi-Chi – Never actually trained under Master Roshi but was taught the style from her father, the Ox-King who once was Master Roshi's student.
- Gohan - Though originally trained by Piccolo, Gohan has trained with Krillin and was later taught the style by his father.
- Goten - Never actually trained under Master Roshi but was taught the style from his mother and later his father after the Majin Buu Conflict.
- Pan - Never actually trained under Master Roshi, but was taught the style by her grandpa Goku.
- Uub - As Goku's student, Uub was taught this style like Gohan, Goten, and Pan before him.
- In Dragon Ball Online, Spiritualist players may branch off to become Turtle Hermits.
- In Xenoverse, the Future Warrior receives training from three students of the Turtle School Krillin, Goku, and Yamcha. They can also learn and utilize several techniques associated with the school such as Rock, Scissors 'N' Paper, Turtle Style Last Resort, Sleepy Boy Technique, and Kamehameha.
- In Xenoverse 2, the Future Warrior receives training from three students of the Turtle School Krillin, Yamcha, and Goku. Additionally, they can take part in special training lessons such as Milk Delivery run by Krillin and Turtle Stone Hunting run by Yamcha both of which are directly inspired by Master Roshi's training regimen.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Kamehameha - Master Roshi's signature ki wave technique which is also considered the signature technique of the Turtle School.
- The Original Kamehameha - The original version of the Kamehameha, it involves many arm sweeping movements before cupping the hands together.
- MAX Power Kamehameha - This is simply a Kamehameha performed after ki is gathered into all parts of the body, causing a far more muscular build than normal. This causes a much more powerful blast than normally possible. Capable of destroying a planetary body about the size of Earth's moon. It is Roshi's most powerful version of the Kamehameha and was the strongest Kamehameha technique until Goku invented the Super Kamehameha.
- Kamehame Fever - One of the Turtle School's secret techniques. A triple Kamehameha team attack performed by Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha. They used it in Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might. In their attempt to destroy the Tree of Might, but to no avail.
- Master-Student Kamehameha - A Multiple Kamehameha variation performed by Master Roshi, Goku, and Krillin against Dr. Wheelo in Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest.
- Turtle Style Last Resort – The most potent and powerful attack used by Master Roshi (disguised as Jackie Chun) in which he shoots a lightning blast towards the target using both hands, and traps the opponent within an electric field. The attack is extremely lethal and dangerous, and as such, Roshi prefers not to use it. Before Goku, Master Roshi had only needed to use the attack once before while sparring with Grandpa Gohan. In Dragon Ball Super, Jingshi MAX Power Roshi uses it on Tien Shinhan knocking him down. Master Roshi used it while training with Yajirobe for the Tournament of Power where he would later successfully use it to restrain Za Priccio allowing Tien to defeat him with his Neo Tri-Beam. Also used by Grandpa Gohan in Dragon Ball: Origins.
- Hypnosis Technique – A technique that was used by Master Roshi at the 22nd World Martial Arts Tournament against Man-Wolf. It can be used to hypnotize and control the mind of the opponent.
- Sleepy Boy Technique – Used by Master Roshi at the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament (as Jackie Chun). Basically this is a hypnosis move used to put the opponent to sleep, by using hand motions and weird voice sounds.
- Bōjutsu - The art of fighting with a staff or cane. Several Turtle School practitioners are shown to have some proficiency in this weapon-based fighting style, as Master Roshi is known to have wielded the Power Pole in his youth before passing it onto his student Gohan who passed it onto his adoptive grandson, Goku. During the Emperor Pilaf Saga, Yamcha recognized Goku's Power Pole as having belonged to old hermit Gohan who lived on Mount Paozu indicating that before Goku, the Elder Gohan was strongly associated with the Power Pole. Despite no longer having the Power Pole, Master Roshi is shown to be able to fight wielding his cane. During Frieza's Revenge, Master Roshi is shown to be able to wield his cane, even while in his Max Power form.
- Jan Ken - This is Goku's signature attack in early Dragon Ball, but is soon replaced by the Kamehameha. The user shouts Jan-ken, then a name corresponding to the attack. Jan-ken-gu, equals rock and will be a strong punch. Jan-ken-choki, equals scissors and will be a poke in the eyes. Jan-ken-pa, equals paper and will be an open palm strike. The same technique was taught to Goku's grandfather by Master Roshi. It is unknown whether he is the inventor of the technique although it is likely to be the case as he taught it to Grandpa Gohan.
- Turtle School Ultimate Fist – Master Roshi's Blast 2 rush attack in his Max Power form in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Turtle School Tranquility – Grandpa Gohan's Ultimate Blast in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3. Grandpa Gohan kicks his opponent into the air and flies toward the enemy and kicks them down. While the opponent is falling, Grandpa Gohan performs the Jan Ken technique on them.
- Turtle School Four Virtues – A rush attack used by Grandpa Gohan. First, Grandpa Gohan says "Got you now!" as he kicks the opponent into the air. Then, he jumps behind the opponent and dashes to punch their feet making them fall. Finally, he hook kicks them away
- Evil Containment Wave - A technique originally developed by Master Mutaito to seal King Piccolo. After Master Mutaito's death, Master Roshi was the only Earthling capable of using the technique as he was the only one of Muiatio's students to witness its use against King Piccolo making it a technique exclusive to the Turtle Hermit (though Kami was able to utilize it by the time of the 23rd World Tournament and Piccolo learned the technique thanks to its repeated use on King Piccolo and developing a method to counter it as well), though after Roshi's own death as a result of his failed attempt to reseal King Piccolo, Tien (who had left the Crane School by that point) managed to learn the technique via Mimicry of Roshi's usage. Goku would later seek to learn the technique himself from Master Roshi in order to seal the immortal Future Zamasu. By the time of the Tournament of Power, Master Roshi would eventually master the technique to the point he could use it without perishing. Due to Piccolo developing Evil Containment Wave Reflection to counter the one technique his father feared and his eventual fusion with Kami, the Evil Containment Wave can also be considered a technique of the Demon Clan Style as in the anime Piccolo ends up teaching the technique to Future Trunks via a video Bulma recorded with her phone just in case (Future Trunks was originally trained by Future Gohan in a manner very similar to how he was trained by Future Piccolo).
Training Gear and Uniform
- Turtle School Uniform - The signature uniform of the Turtle School.
- Turtle School Uniform (?) - A "uniform" Master Roshi tricked the naive Good Launch into wearing. In reality it was just black and pink lingerie which he convinced her to wear by claiming it was a Martial arts uniform wearing one himself and forcing Goku and Krillin to wear one as well to maintain the illusion it was indeed a training uniform. However his plan was ruined by Launch sneezing and switching personality to Bad Launch who immediately realized it was lingerie resulting in violence. Named in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.
- Ultimate Turtle Hermit Costume - A luxurious gi featuring the Turtle School's insignia that can be worn by high-ranking Earthling & Saiyan martial artists (such as Time Patroller Choke, the Future Warriors in the Xenoverse series. The Ultimate Turtle Hermit Costume slightly resembles the formal black Gi Master Roshi wore as Jackie Chun and in the film Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest.
- Turtle Shell - A heavy turtle shell worn as part of Master Roshi's Training.
- Turtle Suit - A more advanced form of of the Turtle Shell training where one wears a heavy turtle costume that restricts movement even more than the standard Turtle Shell. Worn by Goku when sparring with Krillin in Dragon Ball Super with the intent being that it handicap the God-like Saiyan to the point it would be fair to Krillin who was rusty and trying to get back in shape. Unfortunately the suit weights less than the Weighted training suits Goku used during his training under Whis' thus Goku wasn't really hindered by the Turtle Suit causing Master Roshi to end the sparring session to prevent Goku from potentially killing Krillin with his god-like strength substituting it with their training in the Forest of Terror.
- Turtle School Training Manual - A training manual containing various objectives and activities to act as daily training. Master Roshi gives this to Goku and Krillin during their reunion during the Saiyan Saga in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot after overhearing that Goku and Krillin have been neglecting their training recently due to living in more peaceful times (at the time they receive it Raditz was still on his way to Earth). The manual fits in with the Turtle School's philosophy that training should be a daily exercise using everyday activities as a form of training.
- Bob & Margaret - A controversial adult book used by Master Roshi to teach Goku how to read during the basic education he received under the Turtle Hermit as part of his Martial Arts training (with said education training the students' minds as well as their bodies). Mentioned in Dragon Ball Online.
- When paired up in Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team, Krillin and Yamcha say: Yamcha: "Krillin! Let's show 'em the pride of the Turtle Hermit!" Krillin: "Yeah! Let's do this!"
- Due to his rivalry with Master Shen, Master Roshi refuses to learn Flight, as it is a signature technique of the Crane School developed by Master Shen known as Sky Dance. This explains why Master Roshi has never learned Flight, despite his students Goku, Krillin, and Yamcha having all learned to use their ki to fly.
- Despite his own refusal to learn it, he has no problem with his students using it (Tien and Chiaotzu already knew it from their time as students of the Crane School).
- Master Roshi is also aware of the Tri-Beam technique (which in the anime is shown being used by members of the Mutaito Training Academy during the King Piccolo wars) that Master Shen taught Tien, which Roshi despised his rival for due to the potentially self-destructive nature of the technique as it drains the user's life force which can kill the user as demonstrated by Tien's death as a result of using the Spirit Tri-Beam against Nappa.
- Ironically, Master Roshi would use a variation of the MAX Power Kamehameha during the Tournament of Power called Life Force MAX Power Kamehameha which like the Tri-Beam utilizes the user's life force though this was primarily due to the extreme stakes of the tournament and Master Roshi's determination to defeat Ganos. Fortunately, Goku was able to resuscitate him with Kiai Defibrillation.