The Lord Of Worlds (孫悟飯とピッコロ大魔王 Son Gohan to Pikkoro Daimaō, lit. "Son Gohan and Demon King Piccolo") is the eighteenth volume of the original Dragon Ball manga series. It was released on July 10, 1989 in Japan, and in March, 2003 for the English version. It is released in North America as Dragon Ball Z volume two, with the chapter count restarting back to one. It concludes the Raditz Saga and the marks the beginning of the Vegeta Saga.
The Lord Of Worlds
Goku is dead—but his journey is just beginning. Now he must travel through the afterlife along the million-kilometer Serpent Road to find Kaiô-sama, the Lord of Worlds, who will teach him martial arts techniques so powerful they're reserved for the gods! And he'd better hurry, too, because Earth has only nine months until the evil Saiyans, Vegeta and Nappa, will arrive to wipe the planet clean of life. While the archdemon Piccolo trains Goku's son Gohan to reach his full power potential, the alien spaceships rocket ever closer…bearing a power so awesome that even Earth's six strongest heroes may not be a match for it!!!
Son Goku was Earth's greatest hero, but no one knew where he got his strength…until a stranger came from outer space bearing the news that Goku was an alien! The shocking news turned worse when the stranger, Goku's brother Raditz, proved to be a ruthless killer. By teaming up with his old enemy Piccolo, Goku was able to defeat his extraordinarily powerful brother…only to die in the process. Now, Goku has gone to the afterlife, and Earth is in even more trouble…in one year, Raditz's partners will arrive to steal the Dragon Balls and wipe out all life on Earth!!
Volume introduction by Akira Toriyama
"I don't know how many times I've said it—I hate the cold and I hate winter! I wish I could hibernate like a bear. I often get invited to go skiing, but there is no way I would go. Why would I go out of my way to go someplace that's so cold? But on the other hand, I love it when it's hot, in the summertime! I get so excited! That's why it's mostly summer in my manga! I love the summer! Now if there weren't so many mosquitoes…"
Info below is retrieved from Viz Media.
- Son Goku - The greatest martial artist on Earth. Although he looks human, he is actually one of the alien Saiyans. Unlike most Saiayns, he doesn't have a monkey's tail.
- Bulma - Goku's oldest friend. Bulma is a scientific genius. She met Goku while on a quest for the seven magical Dragon Balls, which, when gathered together, can grant any wish.
- Yamcha - A former bandit and martial artist, Yamcha is Bulma's ex-boyfriend.
- Son Gohan - Goku's four year-old son. As a half-human, half-Saiyan, he may be even stronger than a regular Saiyan!
- Tien Shinhan - Three-eyed Tenshinhan is one of Goku's former rivals.
- Kuririn - Goku's former martial arts schoolmate under Kame-Sen'nin.
- Kame-Sen'nin - Kame-Sen'nin, also known as the "Turtle Hermit" or Muten-Rôshi (the "Invincible Old Master"), helped train Goku and Kuririn in the martial arts.
- Vegeta & Nappa - The two Saiyan warriors who will arrive on earth in one year.
- Kami-sama - The deity who watches over the Earth, Kami-sama is the good side to Piccolo's evil. He is assisted by Mr. Popo.
- Piccolo - Goku's arch-enemy, Piccolo Daimaô ("Piccolo the Great Demon") once tried to become the ruler of the world.
|"A Warrior in Hell"|
|"Gohan and Piccolo"|
|"Son Gohan, the Inconsolable"|
|"Deeds Done by the Full Moon"|
|"Goku and Gohan's Training Begins!!"|
|"Masters and Students"|
|"The Hardest Time of His Death"|
|"The Day of the Saiyans"|
|"Let the Games Begin!"|
|"Heroes in Terror"|
- Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, & Gohan vs. Saibamen
- Tien Shinhan vs. Nappa
- Viz Media (May 6, 2003).