"The Dark Prince Returns" (破壊王子ベジータ復活!! 武闘会乱入 Hakai Ōji Bejīta Fukkatsu!! Butōkai Rannyū, lit. "Vegeta, the Prince of Destruction, is Revived!! Intrusion at the Tournament") is the ninth episode of the Babidi Saga and the two hundred twenty-eighth overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series (and the 213th episode of the original dub). This episode first aired in Japan on May 25, 1994. Its original American airdate was October 29, 2001.
Now that Dabura has retreated from the fight, Goku, Gohan and the Supreme Kai Shin wonder what Dabura meant by a "new recruit." Vegeta, though, is absolutely furious. He begins yelling at Gohan, harshly criticizing him for his inexcusably underwhelming performance despite having Saiyan blood, claiming that he's weak and should have destroyed Dabura by now.
Vegeta further chides Gohan, claiming that had he fought Dabura instead of Gohan, Vegeta would have killed him with no effort and then Piccolo and Krillin would be un-petrified. As Gohan laments this realization, Goku tries to vouch for him, but Vegeta soon aims his ire at him too, blaming Goku for making Gohan soft. With the last of his patience being worn down to nothing, Vegeta prepares to blow up the ship.
Shin tries to stop Vegeta, reasoning that such an attack would definitely produce enough energy to revive Majin Buu, stressing well the catastrophic consequences that would befall the Earth and it's people. Irritated by the Kai's interfering, Vegeta refuses to listen and threatens to kill the Kai as well, saying that he doesn't care about what happens to Earth as he goes on another "survival of the fittest" tirade. Having enough of Vegeta's irrational behavior, Goku steps in, grabbing his hand and stops the attack as he sternly tells Vegeta to stop, to which he reluctantly agrees. The Supreme Kai then realizes in horror that Vegeta is the "new recruit" Dabura was talking about after realizing that the new recruit is standing right in front of them.
Babidi decides that Vegeta will be the latest victim of his mind control due to the darkness that still remains in his heart. When Vegeta feels Babidi's influence start, he screams in pain and tells the others that something is "attacking" him, to which they reply they can not see anything. Vegeta says that whatever is attacking him is attacking "from inside" and he transforms into a Super Saiyan.
Shin deduces that Vegeta's pain is Babidi's work, and tries to support Vegeta, telling him to fight Babidi off. He explains to the others what is going on, and they all join in, telling Vegeta not to give in. Gohan asks if Babidi is killing Vegeta, but Surpreme Kai tells them that Babidi is taking over his mind and enslaving him to make become one of his men. Vegeta throws his head back and screams, and a red aura surrounds his body as he powers up to Super Saiyan form. His pain seems to stop, and he sinks to his knees, panting. Everyone thinks Vegeta has beaten Babidi off, but Supreme Kai points out how wrong they are and tells them that it's too late. Vegeta is now controlled by Babidi, having the same Majin symbol on his forehead just like Dabura.
Succeeding despite Vegeta's intense struggle to resist, Babidi then warps the four to the location of the World Martial Arts Tournament, which is still celebrating Mr. Satan's victory. the announcer tells him that the match is already over, but tells them that there is always next year.
They appear in the ring, greatly surprising Chi-Chi and Bulma, and the rest. Majin Vegeta blasts away a portion of the stadium, killing many, enraging Goku, and causing Bulma to faint. Goku says that the Vegeta he knew would never do that. As they strike fighting stances, the rest of the group up in the stands still wonders what is up. After many years, Vegeta is once again Goku's mortal enemy.
- Babidi uses his magic to put Vegeta under his spell.
- Goku, Gohan, Vegeta and Shin are transported back to the World Martial Arts Tournament.
- Vegeta kills many innocent people in the stadium.
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "16 Rips Off Cell's Tail" - When Supreme Kai notices Vegeta is the one Dabura and Babidi are about to use.
- "Vegeta's Red Power" - When Babidi turns Vegeta into his servant.
- "Babidi Casts Spell" - When Babidi mind controls Vegeta and Vegeta screams in pain.
- "Vegeta's Theme" - When Majin Vegeta turns around towards Goku before launching his Ki Blast at him which ends up destroying the World Martial Arts Tournament Stadium.
- "Vegeta Powers Up" - When Majin Vegeta launches his Big Bang Attack at Goku which the latter tries to block before destroying the World Martial Arts Tournament Stadium.
Shunsuke Kikuchi Tracks
- M1411 - Babidi finishes his process of making Vegeta one of his Majin minions.
- M1313-B - Camera pans up to the Majin symbol on Vegeta's forehead.
Differences from the manga
- In the anime, after Vegeta and the others are brought back to the ship, Vegeta continues his burst of anger, shouting at Gohan for being weak, almost blowing up the ship and even aiming his blast at Shin before he is eventually placed under Babidi's magical spell. In the manga, this does not happen.
- Mr. Satan showboating for the crowd before losing all confidence when he see's Android 18 standing there eyeing him is exclusive to the anime.
- In the anime, when Vegeta fires his blast at Goku, Goku struggled against it as it slowly pushes him back and then away. In the manga, Vegeta simply fired the blast and it knocked Goku away immediately.
|← World Tournament Saga||Majin Buu Saga →|
|220 · 221 · 222 · 223 · 224 · 225 · 226 · 227 · 228 · 229 · 230 · 231|
|446 (253; Z) • 447 (254; Z) • 448 (255; Z) • 449 (256; Z) • 450 (257; Z) • 451 (258; Z) • 452 (259; Z) • 453 (260; Z) • 454 (261; Z) • 455 (262; Z) • 456 (263; Z) • 457 (264; Z) • 458 (265; Z) • 459 (266; Z)|
|38 (22; Z)|