"The Cell Games" (超トランクスに弱点！！セル、衝撃の爆弾発言 Sūpā Torankusu ni Jakuten!! Seru, Shōgeki no Bakudan Hatsugen, lit. "Super Trunks Has a Weakness!! Cell, A Shocking Bombshell Declaration") is the thirteenth episode of the Perfect Cell Saga and the one hundred sixty-fifth overall episode in the uncut Dragon Ball Z series. This episode first aired in Japan on November 18, 1992. Its original American airdate was November 8, 2000.
Future Trunks attacks Cell and the tables are quickly turned, with Trunks actually surpassing Cell. For a time, Trunks seems to be the victor. Despite a couple of lucky shots from Cell, Trunks still kept charging at him. But when Trunks realizes he still cannot finish him off yet, he decides to bulk up his muscles more. Cell starts to make a better fight by exploiting Trunks unknown weakness. Cell gets prepared for Trunks. Cell powers up and starts to get a little advantage. Android 16 is watching the battle and wonders where Trunks gets his strength from. Trunks stops to power up, Cell is impressed with his power but still tells Trunks he cannot beat him.
Krillin is flying to Kame House but he sees Vegeta is hurt really bad so he stops on an island. Krillin gives Vegeta a Senzu Bean, which makes Vegeta feel better but he is still angry at Cell. Trunks continues powering up, bulking up his muscles even more than before. At The Lookout, Piccolo and Tien Shinhan sense Future Trunks' power and say that he is even stronger than Perfect Cell now. Back at the fight, Trunks continues to attack Cell but Cell now dodges his attacks too easily.
Goku and Gohan are training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Gohan turns Super Saiyan and starts to train, but Goku is just sitting and watching Gohan. Gohan gets tired and goes back to his normal form. Goku then gets up and tells Gohan to watch him, then transforms to the Super Saiyan Second Grade form. Goku then says he can go one further than this and does so, reaching Super Saiyan Third Grade, which is the same form that Future Trunks is fighting Cell in. Gohan says that he is able to defeat Perfect Cell now, but Goku thinks to himself that there is a weakness in his new form.
Trunks again attacks Cell, but with the same outcome; Cell just dodges him and gives a little laugh. Cell says that Trunks is too slow, but Trunks does not understand why he can't hit Cell. Cell calls Trunks pathetic because he cannot test his full power, so Trunks tries to punch him, but Cell dodges and attacks Trunks a few times. Trunks gets up to attack Cell, but Cell tells him he is wasting his energy. So Cell grabs Trunks' arm and tells him that he cannot beat him. Then he hits Trunks into the ground. Trunks gets up and starts to fly up and he still does not understand why he can't hit Perfect Cell.
Back at the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, Gohan is sure his dad can beat Cell now but Goku says that he cannot. He explains to Gohan that the bulky muscles he has slows him down too much and he needs the speed to defeat Cell, not just strength. Goku then tells Gohan that he knows to turn Super Saiyan, it takes a lot of energy but they need all the energy they can get. So he comes up with a plan to make turning into a Super Saiyan feel natural. He tells Gohan to stay as a Super Saiyan for the whole day so it starts to feel normal.
Cell is unimpressed with Trunks' performance and tells him that he can also bulk up his muscles. So Cell powers up and shows him, then he says it is easy to do and that this form has no use if the opponent has more speed. Cell powers down and Trunks realizes that Vegeta stopped getting stronger because he knew about the transformation slowing him down. Trunks then realizes he cannot win, so he powers down and accepts defeat.
Krillin gets worried about Trunks because he cannot feel his power anymore and thinks Cell defeated him. Vegeta is happy and wants Cell only for himself. Krillin tells Vegeta that he is still hurt, but Vegeta does not care and flies off, so Krillin follows him.
Tien and Piccolo realize that Trunks has lost the fight and are very worried. Cell is about to finish off Trunks but does not know what to do. He asks Trunks how he became so strong in such a little amount of time, but Trunks does not answer.
Cell asks Trunks whether he could get stronger if he had more time. Trunks is confused and does not know why Cell wants to know. Cell then asks where Goku has been and Trunks says he is training to defeat him and that he is sure Goku is the one to do it, no contest. Perfect Cell is intrigued at what Trunks said, so he wants to hold a tournament. Piccolo reveals to Tien and the others that Cell is holding a tournament.
Cell announces to Trunks that the tournament begins in 10 days and he will give Trunks a second chance. Trunks does not understand why he wants to have a tournament, so Cell tells him he wants to test out his powers and prove, once and for all, that he has no equal. He then explains the rules of the tournament and says he will fight one by one. Trunks thinks that Cell is up to something but Cell denies it, saying he just wants to get as much as he can out of this planet before he destroys it. Cell then states that he wants to fight Goku and shortly after flies off.
- Future Trunks realizes the risks of using the Super Saiyan Third Grade transformation, and Goku does shortly after attaining the form.
- Goku achieves the Super Saiyan Second Grade and Super Saiyan Third Grade transformations but decides not to use them due to the negative effects in battle (mainly the latter).
- Goku comes up with the idea of mastering the core Super Saiyan transformation itself and decides that he and Gohan practice staying in the Super Saiyan form all day.
- Cell comes up with a tournament starting in 10 days to test his strength.
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan Third Grade) vs. Cell (Perfect)
Bruce Faulconer tracks
- "Hyperbolic Time Chamber (soundtrack 1)" - When Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan, then 2nd Grade Super Saiyan, and finally 3rd Grade Super Saiyan in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
- "The Cell Games (soundtrack)" - When Cell tells Future Trunks that he will hold the Cell Games.
Differences from the manga
- In the anime, Krillin gives Vegeta the Senzu Bean while Future Trunks and Cell are still fighting. In the manga, Krillin gives Vegeta the Senzu Bean after the fight between them is over.
- In the anime, Cell attacks Future Trunks after commenting on how slow he is and before entering his Power Stressed Form. In the manga, he never attacked him and just went straight into his Power Stressed form from the start.
- At one point, near the beginning of the episode, when Future Trunks is powering up in his Super Saiyan Third Grade form, he looks quite similar to how Broly looks in his Legendary Super Saiyan form. Along with the huge muscle mass, Trunks also has no pupils, both characteristics of the Legendary Super Saiyan form. His teeth are also clenched similarly to how Broly grins.
- Krillin gives Vegeta a senzu bean while Trunks is fighting Cell. In the manga, he gives it to him after Trunks concedes to Cell.
- This was Saffron Henderson's final episode as Gohan in the Ocean Group dub. She was replaced by Jillian Michaels for the remainder of the Cell arc.
|Perfect Cell Saga|
|← Imperfect Cell Saga||Cell Games Saga →|
|153 • 154 • 155 • 156 • 157 • 158 • 159 • 160 • 161 • 162 • 163 • 164 • 165|
|374 (180; z) • 375 (181; z) • 376 (182; z) • 377 (183; z) • 378 (184; z) • 379 (185; z) • 380 (186; z) • 381 (187; z) • 382 (188; z) • 383 (189; z) • 384 (190; z) • 385 (191; z) • 386 (192; z) • 387 (192; z) • 388 (193; z)|
|32 (16; z) • 33 (17; z)|