Team Bardock, also known as Bardock's "Five-Person Land-Shark Team", Bardock's planet elite force, or simply Bardock's Elite, is a crew of low-class Saiyan soldiers led by Bardock under the Saiyan Army.
In the anime, the platoon is comprised of Bardock, as well as four other soldiers: Tora, Fasha, Borgos, and Shugesh. Together, the five main members make a living by traveling to various planets where they decimate the defenses of these civilizations and prepare them for Frieza's Planetary Market under the Frieza Force.
In Broly both the anime original and Minus members of the team are shown.
All members of Team Bardock had some drastic changes in their appearances from Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's original character design for the 1990 special Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku. Akira Toriyama drew the final draft of Bardock's team.
Their original names were Tomā (トマー), Jagga (ジャッガ), Panpukin (パンプキン) and Kōn (コーン). Those names were changed for Tōma (トーマ), Toteppo (トテッポ), Panpūkin (パンプーキン), and Seripa (セリパ). Bardock, Toma (Tora in American dub) and Panbukin (Shugesh in the American dub) are the only three members of the team whose name was not completely changed from Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's design.
In an interview with Akira Toriyama in the Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock Super Kanzenban (February 2014), the author says that Goku's mother Gine used to be a member of Team Bardock which at that time had only four members. Her design was first presented in Dragon Ball Minus: The Departure of the Fated Child, a story present in the collected volume of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (released on April 4, 2014). Dragon Ball Minus was later adapted into the prologue of Dragon Ball Super: Broly.
In the anime, Bardock and his four other companions clear a society on the planet Kanassa. While they are still on the planet, a weakened survivor emerges and, catching Bardock off-guard, instills the Saiyan with the ability of precognitive foresight. This survivor is then killed by Tora. Bardock is still out of commission when the other capable four soldiers are instructed to clear the civilization of Planet Meat.
During their visit to the planet, the group encounters Dodoria (one of Frieza's most esteemed minions) and his elite who, by Frieza's orders, betray and make short work of the Saiyans. Bardock is later informed that his Team has accepted an offer on Meat. Pursuing them, he discovers his ravaged comrades, and to some fortune finds that Tora is still alive but in critical condition. Vowing to avenge the four, Bardock is suddenly assaulted by Dodoria's Elite. Although a low-class Saiyan, Bardock is able to dominate over the elite-class fighters until Dodoria launches a Super Mouth Blast, overpowering Bardock and leaving him for dead.
Bardock barely survives this attack and struggles to return to Planet Vegeta where he immediately begins spreading the word of danger, but his panic only leads bystanders to believe Bardock is overreacting after having finally met his match during a typical mission. Terrified, Bardock takes to the skies where Frieza's Spaceship is orbiting, in a last resort effort to throttle Frieza's plan to eradicate the Saiyans.
Frieza steps out into the orbit of Planet Vegeta where he encounters Bardock, who insists that the Saiyans refuse to be continue being oppressed and commanded by the tyrant. When Bardock attempts to kill Frieza using a Final Spirit Cannon energy wave, Frieza retaliates with by laughing manically as he expands a charging Supernova. Within moments, the Supernova is set free from Frieza's fingertip and careens through numerous bystanding Soldiers en route toward the Planet Vegeta; Bardock is among the first to be consumed by the ball of energy.
In the Granolah the Survivor Saga, it is revealed that Bardock, Leek, and Taro took part in the Frieza Force's invasion of Cereal. A powerful Cerealian, Flayk concentrates all of his power to destroy Cereal's moon, also injuring Great Ape Leek as he does so, however the Cerealian is killed by his teammate Taro.
Muezli attacks Bardock while protecting her son Granolah, damaging his Battle Armor, though Bardock is remained of his own family and in a rare moment of compassion for a Saiyan Soldier, he decides to spare the mother and child, leaving then in the care of Monaito, the Dragon Clansman responsible for the creation of the Cereal Dragon Balls. However Muezli would later be fatally injured by the Heeter, Gas. Team Bardock's role in the Cerealian Genocide would lead Granolah to seek revenge on the surviving Saiyans, though Monaito would eventually reveal Bardock's role in his and his mother's survival.
Members & Allies
- Gine - Bardock's Former Subordinate/Wife after leaving Saiyan Army (Dragon Ball Minus/Broly)
- Fasha - Tora's Subordinate (Broly)
- Shugesh - Tora's Subordinate (Broly)
- Borgos - Tora's Subordinate (Broly)
- Leek - Bardock's Partner/Subordinate (Dragon Ball Minus/Broly)
- Taro - Veteran Member/Subordinate (Dragon Ball Minus/Broly)
- Allies/Affiliated Groups
- Frieza Force - Betrayed during the Invasion of Planet Meat in Age 737
- Saiyan Army - Team is Sub-Group within the Saiyan Army
- King Vegeta III - King/Superior within the Saiyan Army
- Xeno King Vegeta - King/Superior within the Saiyan Army; alternate dimension
- Prince Vegeta IV - Prince/Superior within the Saiyan Army
- Raditz - Eldest Son of Bardock & Gine; Mid-class Soldier within the Army under Vegeta IV
- Kakarot - Youngest Son of Bardock & Gine; Low-class Soldier within Army went defunct after suffering amnesia
- Kakarot (Ultimate Mission X) - Youngest Son of Masked Saiyan Bardock; Low-class Soldier within the Army but did not suffer amnesia; Ultimate Mission X alternate timeline
- Future Kakarot - Youngest Son of Future Bardock; Low-class Soldier within Saiyan Army went defunct after suffering amnesia; alternate timeline
- Xeno Kakarot - Youngest Son of Xeno Bardock & Xeno Gine; Low-class Soldier within Army went defunct after suffering amnesia; alternate dimension
- King Vegeta III - King/Superior within the Saiyan Army
- Team Beerus - A group secretly formed by Universe 7's God of Destruction to investigate and discover the Mastermind behind the Tournament of Time and kidnapping of Shin.
- Beerus - Universe 7's God of Destruction who forms Team Beerus to discover the identity of the Mastermind who kidnapped Shin and threatened the God of Creation's life to force Beerus to set up the tournament.
- Shallot - A righteous Ancient Saiyan who turns out to be member Super Saiyan God race due to being a descendant of the original Super Saiyan God; ended up participating in the Tournament of Time where he encounters the various members of Team Bardock)
- Goku (Adult) - Bardock's adult son Kakarot from the present era of Age 780 during which the Tournament of Time takes place. Secretly a member of Team Beerus who is forced to stay on the sidelines due to his association to Beerus. Though Bardock encounters him around the time of the Super Cell Games, he doesn't recognize his youngest son due to the hyperdimensional nature of the tournament.
- Gohan - The son of Kakarot who comes from the post-Cell Games era and ended up participating in the Tournament of Time fighting alongside Bardock during the Super Cell Games though neither realizes they are related.
- Cabba - An Evolved Saiyan from Universe 6 from a period before the Tournament of Destroyers, who became a student of Shallot's in order to learn how to achieve Super Saiyan form. Fights alongside Bardock during the Super Cell Games.
- Caulifla - The Universe 6 Saiyan Gang Leader who comes from the period after she achieved Super Saiyan 2.
- Kale - Universe 6's current Legendary Saiyan and a member of Caulifla's Gang.
- Chi-Chi - Bardock's future daughter-in-law from the period before the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament. Correctly surmises Bardock's relation to Goku, but Bardock denied it due to mistakenly considering Kakarot and Goku to be separate people. Later fights alongside Bardock, Fasha, and Tora to hold off the Mastermind's group.
Main article: Dragon Ball Super: Broly Members of Bardock’s team appear in a brief cameo when the Cold Force landed on Planet Vegeta for the first time with the Saiyan Army along with King Vegeta gathered for their arrival and also while being scanned when Frieza detected snipers in King Vegeta’s palace through his scouter. Also, according to Toyotarō's interpretation of what may have happened to them during Broly, when Tora is contacted by Leek about the order to return to Planet Vegeta, the members of the squad are with him. They are then killed by Dodoria and his elites. Bardock, Gine, Taro, and Leek are all killed when Frieza's Supernova hits Planet Vegeta despite Bardock's desperate attempt to push it back with an energy wave version of Final Spirit Cannon.
Other Dragon Ball stories
Members of the team appear in various flashbacks during the Frieza Saga in Dragon Ball Z. The team also makes a cameo appearance in the spin-off manga Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock, remembered by Bardock when he accepts to help the Plants in their battle against the space tyrant Chilled and later, in the pages added to the end of the third chapter in the April 2012 issue of V-Jump, when Bardock thinks back to his crew after defeating Chilled.
Team Bardock also appear in the Dragon Ball SD adaption of Episode of Bardock, striking a Fighting Pose like the Ginyu Force. Bardock finds the pose awkward and is angry at Tora for convincing him to do something that embarrassing.
All members of Team Bardock are seen in the video game Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 whenever Bardock does his Spirit of Saiyans technique. The whole team is playable in Dragon Ball Heroes and Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle. In the main story of Dokkan Battle, the dimensional distortion that Future Trunks and the Time Patrol are investigating causes Team Bardock minus their leader to appear on Earth. Future Trunks unaware of their relationship with Goku's father opposes them assuming they are more evil Saiyans like Raditz and Nappa. Upon learning they are on Earth, Bardock's team decides to eliminate Future Trunks and his allies due to their power being too great for young Kakarot to handle unaware that he is now an adult Goku whom Future Trunks and the Time Patrol were searching for. Future Trunks and his allies defeat Bardock's team but the Ginyu Force minus their Captain come to their rescue upon realizing the Saiyans are loyal to Frieza as they come from before their encounter with Team Dodoria thus are unaware of Frieza's betrayal. They join forces with the Ginyu Force but are defeated. Eventually Future Trunks fellow Z Fighters Tien, Chiaotzu, and Yamcha arrive and order him to leave the Saiyans and Ginyu Force to them while he and his partner continue the search for Goku. Later on, Future Trunks encounters Bardock whom he helps recover before Bardock leaves to find Frieza unaware his teammates are also alive due to the dimensional distortion.
Additionally, Bardock and his ex-soldier wife Gine, from Dragon Ball Minus/Broly, appear as a playable team card in the Japanese version. Bardock, Tora, Fasha, Borgos, and Shugesh are also playable in their base and Great Ape forms. Bardock is playable in his Masked Saiyan, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, and Super Saiyan 3 forms as well. On March 17, 2020, the Team Bardock category was added to Dokkan Battle along with a new daily event where the player can acquire cards and special potential orbs for Bardock, Tora, Fasha, Shugesh, and Borgos. If the player manages to unlock each team member's potential by 100% then they can obtain the Grand Opening Team Bardock card which is an Legendary Rare Super INT type card that represents the whole team. Like the similar Ginyu Force daily event, each Team Bardock member has their own event where their card and potential orbs can be acquired while special missions allow the player to unlock their Awakening Medals. If the character appears in their Great Ape form, then the player is certain to acquire their card.
In the Xenoverse series, it is revealed that Bardock and Fasha use the same Scouter model Old Model Scouter (Green) which is revealed in its accessory description.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Fasha's Battle Armor appears under the name Battle Suit (Fasha) as an unlockable outfit for the Future Warrior which can be worn regardless of race or gender. If they speak to Bardock while wearing it he will state that it is a Battle Suit for female warriors and it is an uncommon model before mentioning he had a comrade that wore the exact same model armor they are wearing in reference to Fasha. He states that Fasha had a fiery temper which made her wild in battle but was more reliable than the average warrior scum you see around, indicating he thought highly of her abilities as a warrior despite being a woman. The Future Warrior also asks about his wife and former teammate Gine. Though at first he seems like he will answer their question even referring to his wife by name, he stops himself and tells them he does have to tell them anything. Presumably the memory of Gine is either a touchy subject for him and/or he doesn't want to admit to the Future Warrior how much he loved Gine.
After the 1.09.00 Update, when teaching the warrior his DUAL Ultimate Skill, Bardock notes he and his teammates used to use DUAL Brave Heat in battle just for fun and decides he and the Future Warrior could give it a try sometime.
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, if Bardock triggers a Dramatic Finish on Frieza in the Space stage, Frieza counters with his Supernova and Bardock sees a vision of Goku confronting Frieza on Namek. He begins to smile, but recalls the rage he felt upon seeing his fallen comrades and a vision of him clenching Tora's bloodstained headband, and instead of succumbing to the Supernova, snaps himself out of it with a "NO!". As his body begins to emit bio-electricity, Bardock seethes that he will instead be the one to avenge the Saiyans, finally reaching the breaking point and transforming into a Super Saiyan. Immediately afterwards, he mutters that his next attack will be what changes everything, charging and flinging a Final Spirit Cannon at the awestruck Frieza, who is hit and spun about by the spiralling energy sphere before exploding along with the attack. With the tyrant finally defeated, Bardock takes Tora's bloodstained armband off of his head and raises it in the air, a symbolic salute to his teammates whose memory gave him the strength to overcome Frieza's Supernova and kill him, avenging the Genocide of the Saiyans by his own hand.
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, the team including former member Gine are playable though Gine is a Special Type card that acts as a Support Character. During the Arcade Mode Age Super Bardock Saga, Bardock, Tora, Fasha, Shugesh, and Borgos appear as enemies in the second mission. Though all team members can be captured with a Hero Robo Capture Module, only Bardock can be added to the Capture Log, thus Tora, Fasha, Shugesh, and Borgos must be captured to create Summon Modules for them. With the exception of Bardock and Gine, Tora, Fasha, Shugesh, and Borgos must be created through card customization using their respective character stickers.
In Dragon Ball Legends, the members of the team from the Bardock - The Father of Goku timeline find themselves on Earth in Age 780 during the Tournament of Time though they are scattered and separated. Bardock is revealed to be searching for them though gets side tracked from his search first due to the threat posed by the Saiyan in Red who Bardock heard was going around murdering his fellow Saiyans, before becoming a Ally of Shallot and getting involved in the Super Cell Games during which he unknowingly meets his grandson Teen Gohan and even present Goku though he is unaware that Goku is actually the grown up Kakarot (though present Goku is the son of the Bardock from Dragon Ball Super: Broly due to the Tournament of Time/Super Cell Games occuring after the Tournament of Power), as well as meeting his soon-to-be daughter-in-law Chi-Chi (who is from before she reunited with Goku at the World Tournament) when Shallot is helping her search for Goku though Chi-Chi correctly guesses his relation to Goku even though Bardock still remains ignorant of the fact that Goku and Kakarot are the same individual. Shallot and Caulifla later find Tora and Fasha while looking for Kale and tell them that Bardock is looking for them. Bardock manages to reunite with Fasha and Tora while Team Beerus is busy dealing with the Organization of Babidi. Eventually Babidi sends a horde of Dark Ki enhanced underlings to attack the tournament participants. This horde includes an incarnation of Team Dodoria consisting of DRK Dodoria, DRK Nabana, & DRK Orlen. This DRK Team Dodoria ironically ends up confronting Bardock, Fasha, & Tora resulting in another battle between Dodoria and Bardock's respective teams. However this time, Team Bardock manages to survive the confrontation. Along with several others Shallot had helped, Fasha and Tora later come to Shallot's aid along with Bardock so Shallot can complete the Super Saiyan God ritual. Some time after Shallot achieves Super Saiyan God, Shugesh and Borgos encounter Shallot who fights them over food and it is revealed that they have been forced to work under Dodoria (one Shallot had yet to come into conflict with) who Shallot defeats sickened by the pair's lack of Saiyan pride. The pair later get caught up in his battle with Super Buu. They ultimately choose to flee due to Super Buu's power which was the result of him absorbing both Gohan and Piccolo as well as being empowered with Dark Ki. However Shallot's words about Saiyan pride convinced them to return to help him and his other allies combat Kid Buu ultimately aiding in his defeat.
- DUAL Brave Heat - According to Bardock in Xenoverse 2, he and his teammates would occasionally attack together with this technique just for fun. Both users attack the enemy using Brave Heat. Since it is a two person technique presumably Bardock would perform it together with one of his teammates or two of his teammates may have performed it together without him.
- Rising Rush - In Dragon Ball Legends, any playable member of Team Bardock can perform a Rising Rush if they are on the same team (either as a pair or trio) after collecting seven Dragon Balls. Bardock (Final Spirit Cannon), Borgos, Fasha, and Tora all use Blast type Special Move Arts thus their finisher will take the form of a Combined Energy Wave while Bardock (Revolt Pile) and Shugesh will perform their Strike type Special Move Arts followed by their teammates Special Move Arts (either a Strike type or Blast type, and if both of their teammates have blast type Special Moves, then they'll fire them together as a combined energy wave).
- Daizenshuu 6, 1995
- Saikyō Jump #3, 2014
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle, 2015
- Dragon Ball Legends, 2018
- Daizenshuu 7, 1995
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi (series)
- Toriyama Gine interview
- Son Goku Densetsu, 2003
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Bardock: "Saiyans are a warrior race. We fight because it's in our blood. To hell with all the fancy reasoning and petty justifications! What matters is that you get to go wild out there. Stronger attacks? Who cares about stronger attacks? You get stronger, and your attacks get stronger too. Course... it's not like there's no other way to do it. There was this one thing the others and I used to do for fun. Hmph... I guess we can try it out next time."