This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Main Page article.
|Archive 1||October, 2007 - July, 2009|
|Archive 2||July, 2009 - August, 2010|
|Archive 3||August, 2010 - January, 2012|
Does anyone else think Goku should've kept his tail throughout the series?
Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
Is the Ultimate Tenkaichi template going to be replaced by a Dragon Ball Z For Kinect one?
Something Occured To me
It occured to me: If someone starts roleplaying on other Canon Wikis, they usually have a link to a Roleplaying Wikia on that particular subject on the Main Page, listed as an affliate. You've got one to the Fanon Wiki for fan fiction, but not a Wiki for roleplaying. And I've seen Chat Moderators get really annoyed when people start roleplaying in chat. So I was wondering, perhaps you could put the Goat City Wiki on the front page, and send people there if they start annoying everyone else with roleplay. I'm not trying to advertise; I'm wondering if perhaps you could add Goat City to the main page as an affliate. Wow-Wow-Wow-wow 18:16, June 14, 2012 (UTC)
- Dragon Ball Fanon Wiki has a chat, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind role playing there. Using Goat City Wiki isn't necessary. — N (t • c) 18:46, June 14, 2012 (UTC)
Re-release the entire original dragon ball series in dragon box format.
It's time for a change in the dragon ball seires we already know about the dbz kai music plagarism scandal and ote bull, Funimation need to recall all of the dragon ball seires dvds and re-release them all on dvd and blu-ray in its original dragon box quality format to give the fans a whole new atomosphere like myself the original opening and closing of dragon ball dbz and dbgt as well as the next episode previews completes the entire original dragon ball series.—This unsigned comment was made by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) Please sign your posts with ~~~~ next time!
Cluttered main page
Hello, the main page is cluttered with the stuff on the side, can the administrators help me find the problem? Please, thank you. IloveJeice 01:42, July 25, 2012 (UTC)
- Can you please be more specific? I don't see anything wrong with it. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:11, July 25, 2012 (UTC)
Super Saiyan Confusions...
Alright so here's the thing: I can't recall where I heard this, but I believe I heard that the only reason Pan couldn't transform into a Super Saiyan because she was only a quarter Saiyan... Yet, Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. go Super Saiyan even at young ages. How does this happen? Vegeta and Goku Jr. would only be one sixteenth Saiyan provided the Saiyans mated with humans. Can someone help me understand this?
Sexy new main page
- Sure, I'll do that today. By the way, using the date like in a regular signature posting is very helpful for the readers. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 20:15, August 30, 2012 (UTC)
- To vote, simply click on the circle to the left of the option you like most. Then click the button at the button that says "Vote!" -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 21:28, August 31, 2012 (UTC)
- Oh sorry, okay. You just use four tildes ~~~~ to use the signature you have set up in your preferences plus the time/date of the post. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 05:56, September 2, 2012 (UTC)
About the name of 孫悟空
You know 孫悟空, Son Gokū . What does it really means? 孫 is like last name. 悟 is like middle name， 空 is like first name. 孫悟空 is a chinese name. It's really english name that is Monkey king. and more. 悟 means that understand your mind and know yourself. 空 means that nothing, but it include anything and everything. So the name of "Son Gokū" that is WRONG name, WRONG translation.
- There was indeed a global wikia update. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:19, October 3, 2012 (UTC)
Quote of the day
How exactly is the quote of the day picked and who is it picked by?
I just had an idea for a goku quote from episode 137 of Dragonball "Sometimes my brain doesn't know what my mouth is saying. Good thing my heart does. Will you marry me?"220.127.116.11 03:36, October 19, 2012 (UTC)WortWortWort117
- PrinceZarbon picks and posts the quote of the day, you can give him suggestions on his talk page. -- .10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 00:44, October 20, 2012 (UTC)
Girl Super Saiyan
Did you know that if that women can become Super Saiyans but they got to work harder than the other men Saiyans.—This unsigned comment was made by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs) Please sign your posts with ~~~~ next time!
Quote of the day - Spelling.
- Ah, yes, there's numerous alternate spellings for that. I'll alter it for the featured archives per this request. - 01:15, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
How to create a custom signature?
Hello. i've noticed a lot of people (folks like PrinceZarbon and 10xKamehameha) have cool custom signatures with designs and everything on here. i would like to know how i can make one for myself. problem is that i don't know how and didn't understand the directions all that well. any help would be appreciated thanks! SSJ Sean x20 (talk) 17:40, December 29, 2012 (UTC)
- Thanks! Have you tried the tutorial linked at the top of my talk page? -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 02:29, December 31, 2012 (UTC)
Why does Recoome and other aliens throughout the series look like caucasion earthlings?---- Heche(SSJ)
- Aliens in the series look like all sorts of things. Evolutionarily speaking, humans are a shape that can survive, so it makes sense that some other aliens would evolve the same features. One could also speculate that they share an ancestor with humans and were somehow brought to another planet. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 04:41, April 21, 2013 (UTC)
- I suggest that you ask Nonoitall. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 18:11, May 12, 2013 (UTC)
What's that "retrieved from ..." at the very end of the page?"
if goku have the godlike feeling after he first turn ssj god. so after that when he turns in his normal state and then go super saiyan he put up a good fight. so if he go super saiyan 3 he will be able to defeat bills with ease right? —This unsigned comment was made by SuperSaiyan3 goku (talk • contribs) Please sign your posts with ~~~~ next time!
- You should probably make a forum or blog. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:46, June 13, 2013 (UTC)
I have a couple of proposed changes to the arrangement of the Main Page. I think the "orbs" should be further down, closer to the "Navigation" section, expecially considering how similar they are. This allows for actual Wiki News to be higher. I also think the Power Poll should be higher, above the forum, since the top of the page also has a forum link under the "Community" tab. That's basically it. Shakuran13ThisendsNOW! 06:31, July 23, 2013 (UTC)
- Sounds fine to me. Whatever looks good and provides info. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:45, July 23, 2013 (UTC)
Needing some AssistanceI am currently in the process of determining which supporting characters will receive "orbs" and a spot on the main page. There is a possibility of 16 total characters, 8 in each row. I'd like to get the general consensus of the community to see what you all think. Thanks!
- There are currently 32 total characters. Are you trying to remove 16 to make it look neater? -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 15:50, August 3, 2013 (UTC)
movie villans icon
20:02, September 28, 2013 (UTC)
- Agrees, because everyone already agreed Bills' not a villenan 20:06, September 28, 2013 (UTC)
- I vote for Broly because his power is maximum 23:35, September 28, 2013 (UTC)
I support Broly because he has the most movies. Garlic Junior having a saga about him is nice and all, but it's irrelevant to the movies. In fact, that actually seems like more of a detracting point because it makes him also an anime villain. Also, Broly is incredibly popular, possibly more than Cooler. One can't really argue about which movie villain is the most villainous, but Broly is no slouch in that regard either. Shakuran13ThisendsNOW! 23:48, September 28, 2013 (UTC)
- Broly having the most movies is a good point. Only 2 for Cooler and 1 for Garlic, but Broly has 3. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 01:26, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Actually, Garlic Junior has 2 votes right now; myself and User:DalekSupreme13 both feel he's the primary as this discussion was already had here: Portals discussion. I disagree with popularity having any level of importance when it comes to deciphering which characters are featured as the source. We need to concentrate on the actual importance minus personal bias. - 02:58, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
Come to think of it, voting implies some level of personal bias as well. We should strive for a consensus with our full effort because resorting to that. I think that on the main page, popularity does play a role in our decision, since we want to get people to click, and they are probably more likely to click on something that they are more familiar with. So we have Broly who has the most films and is the most popular, Cooler who has performed the most genocides, and Garlic who gets the most screen time and dialogue but is not exclusively a "film" villain. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 04:44, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, since we have those three and can't decide on just one, I have an even better idea. See how the icons for the Ginyu Tokusentai, Shadow Dragons, and Red Ribbon Army are? All we have to do is make a single icon and have Broly, Cooler, and Garlic Junior all appear on that icon the same way and still call the icon "Film Villains". That would seem to work. Unless of course someone else feels that Lord Slug, Android 13, Bojack, Janemba, Hirudegarn, etc. should be on the icon. I feel the icon can incorporate Broly, Cooler, and Garlic Junior and that would be fine for all the primary audience in terms of satisfying popularity but staying true to actual importance as well. - 17:11, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- i agree with prince Zarbon we Should put all 3 of them (Broly,Cooler and Garlic Jr.) I am GokuBrolyVegeta.
17:16, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Here's a rough draft of how nice it would look in a trio image; of course, we'd need User:SSJGoku93 to do it as he made all the other ones currently up. - 17:20, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
17:25, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
Should be Cooler, not Meta Cooler (there's a difference). But seems nice enough17:28, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
Yeah all three of them such as Broly and Cooler and Garlic Jr should be there. They have the longest films and Garlic Jr has a saga. I say we go for three.Teengohanrocks (talk) 19:19, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
I realize this is just a rough draft, but I would like to suggest deleting the background for each of them, so that they look a little more uniform together. --Mr. Steal-Yo-Gurl (Talk) 19:34, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- As long as we can clearly see everyone's faces. Those orbs are kind of hard to see faces in as is. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 20:45, September 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Well, it appears everyone likes the idea of having a trio icon; I have been unable to contact User:SSJGoku93 of recent; 10X, can you maybe email him too to make sure he gets the message. - 03:44, September 30, 2013 (UTC)
- If you guys could provide me with an image you'd like me to use, I'll make it tonight. Thanks!
The images provided did not exactly work with the orb format as well as I'd have liked. As such, I went with the image below. While it may be Cooler's final form, it fit well and looks nice. What do we think?
- They're all good choices in my opinion lol. PZ? -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 05:01, October 8, 2013 (UTC)
I mean once the image was re-sized, it looked goofy. The image of Cooler you posted on my talk page looked skewed once re- sized, and the "tri" image didn't work at all haha :P
- I posted another one on your talk page; check this one out and see if you can resize it to your liking; I think it just needs some trimming on the edges to make it better for your round shape. - 17:17, October 8, 2013 (UTC)
Portals for "other" characters.
I would like to add two more rows for "supporting" characters of the series to the orbs. Examples include Bulma, Videl, Chi Chi, Mr. Satan etc. etc. If you guys would be so kind as to come up with a list for me and even provide some images I'll be one happy fella. Thanks!
- I think there are enough as is. We want the main page to be eye-catching snapshots, but not a list of all the characters. If we had a way to check, some orbs (Pilaf Gang, Yajirobe, Pan) already feature characters that are only of very minor interest. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 05:29, October 8, 2013 (UTC)
- I think it looks great as is; if there's too much then it might be too long to scroll through. I think we got most of the primary heroes and villains up there. If you were to include Bulma, Mr. Satan, etc. you can add another third section entitled "Other", this would make it easier for them, but I honestly feel that once we get this trio image done of the movie folk, it's pretty much perfect. - 17:20, October 8, 2013 (UTC)
Instead of the Dodoria/Zarbon portal having two separate links, shouldn't it just say Frieza's Elite? also the Majin Buu link needs to be changed to Kid Buu, as that is what the image displays.--Neffyarious (talk) 14:30, October 19, 2013 (UTC)
- No, because Frieza's elite entails numerous others who aren't as consequential. It is imperative to maintain that they are separate characters and separately list Zarbon and Dodoria as such. And the Majin Buu area makes sense as it is supposed to be relevant to all "forms" of Majin Buu, albeit portraying Kid Buu's image. - 22:49, October 19, 2013 (UTC)
The DB Wiki FaceBook Page
Please click the link below if you're interested in a job adminstrating the wiki's FaceBook page.
http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:SSJGoku93/A_job_offering_for_2_good_users_-_Access_to_the_DB_Wiki_Facebook_Page —This unsigned comment was made by SSJGoku93 (talk • contribs) Please sign your posts with ~~~~ next time!
Sometimes, numbers are written out in words, like forty-five, or one thousand and twenty-five, but others might be written in the style of say, "The 3rd one came along" or "His power increased 1000 times over". I'm not sure if there is a rule, but since the wiki wants to have consistency (having the same name of a character on all their related pages, despite translation differences), I figure we should stick to one thing.14:53, November 30, 2013 (UTC)
The Manual of Style dictates that we use American English grammar. That means that yes there are rules, and yes we should correct pages to be consistent with them. For numbers less than 10, or if the sentence starts with a number, the whole word should be written out. For numbers 10 or greater, the number should be used. When there are combined instances of numbers greater than 10 and less than 10, the rule used for the first instance should be used for all instances in that sentence. Second is treated as a word, and 2nd is treated as a number.
Grammatically correct sentences:
- There were two Saiyans fighting. Number less than 10 rule.
- There were 10 aliens attacking the planet. Number 10 or greater rule.
- Twenty villains approached the man. Sentence starting with a number rule.
- The three friends went fishing on a fourteen day trip. Number less than 10 rule, first instance rule.
- Goku knew that he had 30 minutes to win, and initiated his 3rd assault on Frieza. Number greater than 10 rule, first instance rule, treat 3rd as a number.
Exceptions can be used if they are absolutely needed. If the number is huge and unwieldy like 234,234,654,678 then it should be written as a number no matter what. For amounts of money, the number should almost always be used, so $40 is better than forty dollars. If you come across a case where an exception is needed that conflicts with one of the grammatical rules, then be smart, and try and reword the sentence or break it up into two sentences that do not require exceptions.
Sentence requires an exception (number is very large and should never be written out in words):
- The seven Dragon Balls became inert for the next 236,221,563 years.
Smart rewrite that does not require an exception.
- The seven Dragon Balls became inert. They remained this ways for 236,221,563 years.
Quotes in Articles
Most of the quotes in articles are directly linked to the FUNI dub of the anime. However, the articles involve the manga and the anime. On Videl's page, it takes an exact quote from the FUNi dub about her developing romantic feelings for Gohan, and the quote is much more blunt in the manga english translation ("I'm going to ask you out"). So, I was wondering, should quotations be taken out of articles directly, and make them slightly more open and vague to make it easier for all kinds of viewers of Dragon Ball? I'm not honestly too bothered, but some articles contain a few quotations from characters, and others don't.23:20, December 11, 2013 (UTC)
- I do not think anyone is going to be confused by where the quote came from as long as we continue to put the source of the quote with its use. Whenever an episode is quoted, the name of the episode is at the bottom of the quote box. Viz manga quotes are perfectly acceptable too! The anime just seems to be a lot more popular for English fans, so that is what gets edited onto articles most often. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 05:53, December 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Just type in the path to the article that you want to create, and make an edit. The page will exist from then on and will be visible to others. If you give me the name of the article you would like to create, I can do it for you the first time to help you get started. Remember that articles should only be about official, licensed information of an encyclopedic nature. Vegeta = yes. Vegeta vs. Goku who would win = no. SS7 Ultra Vegeta = no. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 18:54, March 13, 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, several times during Dragon Ball Z. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 19:08, August 10, 2014 (UTC)
- Hi Zack, welcome to the site. When posting a new item of discussion on a talk page, please make sure to start a new topic. Also, always sign your posts, that way I know who to respond to. Yes, both Kami and Nail died with Piccolo in GT. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:45, October 22, 2014 (UTC)
I thought Ultimate Shenron died because with Piccolo death the black star ball cease.
- Right, Ultimate Shenron goes away with Piccolo and Kami's deaths. Smoke Shenron goes away, but it's unclear if he is "dead". Presumably, with more good wishes he might return. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 03:42, October 26, 2014 (UTC)
Bulma as a main page portal
Something that I have found strange about the portals on the main page is that Bulma is missing yet characters who appeared and did less like Yajirobe, Uub, Chiaotzu and honestly Android 18 are.
Bulma was literally the second main and important main character from the start, she was the one who started everything (and unwittingly help stop every villain ever by doing so). She built the Dragon Radar, She was crucial in defeating General Blue and the Invisible man and kept safe the dead fighter bodies in the King Piccolo saga. She gathered the Dragon Balls to resurrect Goku, she built the ships in both Freeza saga and GT. She had entire filler arcs devoted to her, she built the remote device and rebuilt Android 16. She gave birth to both Trunks and Bra & is the wife of Vegeta. She has appeared in more media then most of the main page characters and as the top 100 poll showed, is considered more relevant and popular then all the characters I mentioned in the first paragraph except Android 18.
- She's a main character, but not really a "hero" as that listing states. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 22:27, October 31, 2014 (UTC)
- He doesn't die: they merge, sort of like when Kami and Piccolo merge. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 01:49, November 4, 2014 (UTC)
Is Ninja Murasaki died?because in the filler episode with Dr. Flappe goku throws android 8's bomb away witch lands on his face. That close range explosion would have killed him! Zackgood (talk) 18:43, November 5, 2014 (UTC)
- It's unclear. One user claims "According to a special Jump, he resides in the world of the dead, so he is confirmed deceased.", but they did not provide a real source. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 01:15, November 6, 2014 (UTC)
- No, that's speculation. Please don't speculate in articles. -- 10X.Ka.me.ha.me.ha.....talk.....contrib. 05:51, November 18, 2014 (UTC)
Canon and non-canon
Since Disney revealed the new Star Wars canon, the Star Wars wiki opted for having two versions of most articles, a "Canon" one where only things from the movies and the recent TV shows are mentioned and "Legends" where all the other material is also mentioned.
I thought we could use a similar system for this site by diving things that were directly written by Toriyama (The manga, 2008 OVA, BoG, Revival of F, Jaco, etc.) and things that although may have involucrated him, weren't (GT, most movies, anime filler, etc.) I apologize if this isn't the right place for this, I'll move it if it's so. MatiuxFox (talk) 02:26, December 15, 2014 (UTC)
I find that the problem with this is that to me it is hard to so easily define what is and isn't canon.
You say that the manga and 2008 OVA are canon, but what about the Episode of Bardock, is that canon? It's written by Naho Ooishi who also did a manga based off the 2008 OVA. Also, the 2008 OVA wasn't written by Toriyama as far as I know but I could be wrong. Is the One Piece x Dragon Ball crossover canon because it was written by Toriyama? Isn't GT the series that was written specifically to be a continuation of the Dragon Ball story? Shouldn't that make it more canon? If Battle of Gods is a movie, wouldn't that make it non-canon? It's not like anyone official has come out and said anything about canonicity and Akira Toriyama certainly doesn't care; he barely even remembers the details of Dragon Ball.
I find it is much better to just present information and let people interpret the matter rather than come out with an official statement on it that is only created by us. 03:57, December 15, 2014 (UTC)