The "Super Saiyan God" (超サイヤ人ゴッド Sūpā Saiya-jin Goddo) is an ancient Saiyan who could transform into a Super Saiyan God long before Goku could with the help of the spirit of Yamoshi and five other righteous Saiyans.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Biography
- 3 Film appearances
- 4 Other Dragon Ball Stories
- 5 Power
- 6 Techniques and Special Abilities
- 7 Transformations
- 8 Battles
- 9 Trivia
- 10 References
- 11 Site Navigation
While only appearing as a silhouette, the Super Saiyan God bears a striking resemblance to Vegeta, even seemingly wearing the same clothing as him. The Super Saiyan God in the Super Saiyan God form, as shown in his silhouette, does not look as physically buff as Goku or Vegeta.
Super Saiyan God Legend
According to Shenron's story about Yamoshi from the Namekian Book of Legends, six righteous Saiyans came together on Planet Vegeta to transform one into the Super Saiyan God. However, while the Super Saiyan God overwhelms the evil Saiyans, his power vanishes as quickly as it came, and as such, he and his comrades are wiped out.
Dragon Ball Super
God of Destruction Beerus Saga
Main article: God of Destruction Beerus Saga When Super Saiyan God Goku is battling Beerus and believes he has reached the limit of Super Saiyan God's power and is going to lose, the "Super Saiyan God power" speaks to Goku and tells him to keep on pushing - allowing Goku to tap into more power and continue the battle.
Battle of Gods
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
After being asked by Goku how to attain the Super Saiyan God transformation, Shenron tells the Dragon Team, Beerus, and Whis the story of the Super Saiyan God. The original Super Saiyan God's spirit appears during the Super Saiyan God ritual, turning Goku into a Super Saiyan God to battle Beerus.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Dragon Ball Legends
Main article: Dragon Ball Legends
Shallot and Giblet are eventually revealed to be members of the Ancient Super Saiyan God subspecies living in a time period after the demise of the original Super Saiyan God, with the righteous twin brothers battling against the Evil Ancient Saiyans of their time. At one point, Giblet explained to Shallot that the power they needed to obtain to defeat the evil Saiyans was Super Saiyan God, explaining to Shallot that they both possess the potential to become Super Saiyan Gods, due to possessing the same righteous will, declaring them the rightful successors due to the blood of the original Super Saiyan God running through their veins, indicating they may be descended from the original Super Saiyan God and seek to carry on his legacy of opposing the evil Saiyans. However, as Saiyans of the modern era are descendants of the evil Saiyans who killed the original Super Saiyan God, Giblet sees his mission as to kill all modern Saiyans to restore the true Saiyan way.
In Shenron's telling of the Super Saiyan God from the Namekian Book of Legends, the Super Saiyan God is incredibly powerful, he is seen battling against Great Apes and dodging most of their attacks, proving his immense power, but his power ran out "as quickly as it came".
The Super Saiyan God power is utilized much later by Goku through the Super Saiyan God ritual, skyrocketing him to a level of strength where he can give Beerus a satisfying fight, and afterwards Goku is able to make this power his own even though it should have disappeared when the effect of the ritual wore off.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Saiyan Power - A genetic trait that continually lets a Saiyan increase in performance against adversity, either by recovering from great injuries or enduring great struggle in battle.
Main article: Great Ape As this Saiyan possesses a tail, they are capable of the Great Ape transformation.
Super Saiyan God
Main article: Super Saiyan God
The original Super Saiyan God was able to achieve the form through the Super Saiyan God ceremony carried out with five other righteous Saiyans guided by the spirit of Yamoshi, which is most likely why he briefly appeared in Goku's ceremony to become a Super Saiyan God.
- According to legend
- Super Saiyan God vs. Evil Saiyans (Great Apes)
- The original design of the Super Saiyan God having him wearing a cape, and the Original Super Saiyan God fighting evil Saiyans on Planet Vegeta are very similar to the Guardian of Planet Vegeta (god wearing a cape) wanting to destroy the Saiyans because of their evil behavior and described in King Kai's story about the destruction of Planet Vegeta.
- He looks strikingly similar to Vegeta, this is uncommon among most Saiyans and it may suggest that Vegeta could be related to him (this further implied through Vegeta saying that only he should have the potential to become a Super Saiyan in his internal monologue about the Super Saiyan legend). Strangely, in the scene of Goku turning Super Saiyan God during the ritual, he even appears to be wearing the same clothing as Vegeta.
- It's been speculated that the Evil Ancient Saiyan Cumber may have some history with the Super Saiyan God. His reaction to Goku's usage of Super Saiyan God implies that Cumber is one of the evil Ancient Saiyans who fought the original Super Saiyan God.
- Dragon Ball Legends, 2018
- Whis: "Five righteous Saiyans join hands and channel their power into a sixth righteous Saiyan. Thus the god of Saiyans, the legendary Super Saiyan God, is created.", Dragon Ball Legends
- Giblet: "You and I, brother... We are its rightful successors! The blood of the Super Saiyan God runs through our veins!" - Dragon Ball Legends
- Toriyama Saiyan interview. pbs.twimg.
- Dragon Ball Super chapter 4, "Battle of Gods"
- Dragon Ball Super episode 12, "The Universe Will Shatter? Clash! Destroyer vs. Super Saiyan God!"
- Dragon Ball Legends, 2018, Part 8: The Truth Revealed - Book 1, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMs8tmT97Us
- Tadayoshi Yamamuro interview. okstars.okwave.jp.
- Dragon Ball Z episode 20, "Goku's Ancestors"