- This article is about the form. For the good Ancient Saiyan subspecies, see Super Saiyan God (race).
Super Saiyan God (超サイヤ人ゴッド Sūpā Saiya-jin Goddo) is a Saiyan transformation that grants the user godly ki, providing them with a power boost beyond Super Saiyan 3 and its predecessors. It is initially obtained through a ritual involving six righteous Saiyans or special divine training.
Trained users can further combine this form with the first Super Saiyan transformation, attaining the more powerful Super Saiyan Blue or Super Saiyan Rosé form (depending on the user's status and ki).
Concept and creation
According to interviews with the Battle of Gods character designer, Tadayoshi Yamamuro, the original concept for Super Saiyan God, had the form being more muscular, wearing a cape, and with a hairstyle in-between Super Saiyan 3 and Super Saiyan 4. The series' original author, Akira Toriyama, came up with a picture of Super Saiyan God that was completely different than Yamamuro's own initial muscular, cloaked design. They went back and forth like this a bit before settling on the final design, and Toriyama was insistent on the form not being too different from Goku's regular appearance, specifically not being really muscular.
The Super Saiyan God form
The "Super Saiyan God" is the legend among legends of the warrior race, the Saiyans. The power of six good-hearted Saiyans must be infused for one of them to achieve this legendary form. As Shenron explains to the Dragon Team and company, a Super Saiyan God once appeared on Planet Vegeta to stop the evil Saiyans but he failed because of the form's time limit. The Namekians were aware of the Super Saiyan God and wrote of the method to achieve the form in their book of legends. When in this form, the Saiyan's general appearance has only slight differences: the most notable change is the slight pink skin tone (similar to the usage of Fury) and hair that is a shade of red.
In this form, Goku possesses magenta-red hair (identical to his fur as a Super Saiyan 4) while Vegeta possesses crimson red hair. The hair retains its natural style but becomes more refined (losing any stray hairs). The Saiyan's eyes become more detailed and the irises become red (appearing as more relaxed even in battle until sufficiently angered). The overall body structure appears to become younger and thinner in frame and build. The aura of the Super Saiyan God resembles a raging fire.
A Saiyan becomes cool-headed when in this form.
In Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, the ritual is needed in order to achieve the Super Saiyan God transformation. It requires five righteous Saiyans to perform and a sixth Saiyan to channel the ritual and ki into. But the ritual instructions are easy to misinterpret as only requiring five Saiyans, which is why it failed the first time Goku attempted it. Six righteous Saiyans hold hands in a circle and transfer their ki into the Saiyan who is becoming the Saiyan God. After this process, a blue fiery aura will appear throughout the circle, signifying the ritual is working. The Saiyan who is becoming the Super Saiyan God will ascend and transform into the Super Saiyan God.
In Dragon Ball Super, to perform the ritual, the six righteous Saiyans gather in a circle, all holding hands in the process. The selected Saiyan to ascend will have the two Saiyans next to the target place their palms on the user's back, while the user faces away from the group. Next, instead of concentrating their ki into the body, they must "pour their heart" (inner light in the dub) into them. Blue aura appears around the group, shrouding each individual in the ritual. If done correctly, a yellow flame-like beam emitting from the group - in the dub, Beerus states it to be "divine energy" - shoots up into the sky, and golden colored clouds start to emerge. They began to spread across the blue sky, eventually covering it completely after a few minutes. The sea changes into a golden hue as well, becoming violent and forming huge whirlpools. At this point, the user begins to experience a significant amount of pain. A blue aura starts to appear from one of the Saiyans, eventually transferring it into the Saiyan who is about to become god through the other five Saiyans. After this, another beam shoots up from the one who absorbed the blue aura, which causes some of the clouds to dissipate and leave an enormous hole. The weather changes over and over in a matter of seconds, changing from rain, to hail, to a thunderstorm, to clear, during which a few days appear to pass, to snow, and clear again. The user rises up and becomes a pinkish-red silhouette of themselves. Next, the user becomes a shadowy figure, before emitting a huge light and appearing again in their natural form. The end result is the user's ascension into the Super Saiyan God form.
As shown by the ritual that allowed Goku to achieve the form, Earthling/Saiyan hybrids or even female Earthlings pregnant with a partial Saiyan child can take part in the ritual if there are not enough pure Saiyans available (as Vegeta, Goku, and Tarble were the only known surviving pure Saiyans in Universe 7 at the time and Tarble himself was unavailable at the time the ritual was performed). If a pregnant female Earthling takes part in the ritual, their hair will change color and cause them to briefly take on Super Saiyan-like form despite not being Saiyans themselves (presumably this form is the result of them being pregnant with a Saiyan child and/or a side effect of them taking part in the ritual).
In the anime, doing the Super Saiyan God ritual can drain a participant's energy. Gohan and Goten notably couldn't fly because they used most of their energy during the ritual.
In the Dark King Mechikabura Saga, Xeno Goku, Xeno Vegeta, Xeno Gohan, Xeno Goten and Xeno Pan unintentionally perform the ritual on Xeno Trunks to turn him into a Super Saiyan God. While giving him energy, they were unaware of the ritual's existence due to the Dragon Team never experiencing the events of the God of Destruction Beerus Saga in the Xeno world timeline.
In the Tournament of Time, Shallot aims to do the ritual with Cabba, Caulifla, Teen Gohan, Teen Future Trunks and an additional pure-hearted Saiyan. Kale was originally going to be the fifth but lost too much energy defending Caulifla from Super Buu. Goku instead takes her place, which allows the ritual to be completed and Shallot to become a Super Saiyan God.
In the anime, it is said that Super Saiyan God can be achieved without the ritual - as Vegeta did during his training with Whis.
Unlike the fighting style of a Super Saiyan Blue, which is more about bulldozing an opponent with brute force, the unique fighting style of Super Saiyan God focuses on predicting and dodging opponent's blows and prioritizes godly techniques over raw power.
This form possesses the Aura of a God. It allows the user to sense and possesses godly ki which can only be sensed by those who know how while simultaneously preventing most entities from sensing the user.
Godly techniques displayed exclusively in this form by a mortal Saiyan include absorbing and thus nullifying enemy attacks after contact, and using it's aura for paralyzing foes and self-healing. A user of this form also gains the ability to focus excessive power in their palms to release invisible power blasts.
Using the Autonomous Ultra Instinct ability in conjunction with this state makes it more accurate compared to usage in base form.
Usage and Power
At the time of its debut, Super Saiyan God was "a being that surpasses everything". The power of this form is great enough to allow Goku to compete against the non-fully-powered God of Destruction Beerus, who effortlessly defeated Super Saiyan 3 Goku, later the combined effort of Potential Unleashed Gohan (Potential Unleashed Super Saiyan Gohan in the original movie), Good Buu, Piccolo, Android 18, Tien Shinhan, and Gotenks (Super Saiyan in the movie, Super Saiyan 3 in the manga, and base form in the anime), and even a one-on-one assault from a enraged Super Saiyan 2 Vegeta. The sheer power of Goku and Beerus' fists colliding sent ripples throughout the universe, with Old Kai commenting that just three punches could wipe out everything in the universe without proper control. The Broly light novel notes that Super Saiyan God possesses a far superior dimension of power compared to the Super Saiyan form.
This powerful form, however, has drawbacks: it requires some time for the user to fully tap into its power and it drains the user's energy reserves fairly quickly. Super Saiyan God also has a short time limit, to which it will seamlessly disappear. However, even after Goku's time limit ran up, his actual power did not decrease, allowing him to continue fighting the God of Destruction on his level in his base and Super Saiyan form. Beerus speculated that from Goku's experience and adapting to the feel of Super Saiyan God, he was instinctively able to imprint on it, allowing him to subconsciously access its power to an extent, seemingly negating the power drain. After his battle with Beerus, Goku continued to work in its residual effect and ultimately mastered this form's power.
Later, Goku and Vegeta displayed the ability to transform into this form at will with its full capacities and no known time limit, to which (in the manga) was noted to possesses a power greater than a Super Saiyan Blue at less than 10% power. In his Super Saiyan God state, he is a match for Hit at full power. During the final fight against Goku Black and Future Zamasu, Vegeta was able to attain the form and access it at will much like Goku. The two Saiyans also reveal that in addition to mastering this form, it is also able to overcome the stamina issue associated with Super Saiyan Blue. So essentially this form is able to be used to supplement Super Saiyan Blue, by changing between the two forms in an instant. This is done because Whis states Super Saiyan God is faster than Super Saiyan. With Super Saiyan God used for motion and Super Saiyan Blue for attacking and defending. By doing this, Vegeta was able to keep up his stamina much easier than Goku Black, being able to keep up with him and gain the upper hand later in their fight. Goku noted that this could only be accomplished through extreme training. This also happens in the anime, presumably through the same process, in the Tournament of Power when Goku teamed up with the assassin Hit. Whis reveals that Super Saiyan God is Goku's second-fastest form and uses far less stamina then Super Saiyan Blue, which was why he used it against Dyspo, only using Blue for defense or occasional attacking. While Goku was still slower than Dyspo, he possessed enough speed to read his movements and counter him by powering up to Super Saiyan Blue for a brief moment to attack. Using this, Goku was able to effectively fight back and push back Dyspo until Hit took over in his place.
It is shown in Dragon Ball Minus that the legend of the Super Saiyan God was one of the reasons why the tyrant Frieza committed the Genocide of the Saiyans. Thirty-nine years before the events of the God of Destruction Beerus Saga, the Oracle Fish foretold the appearance of a Super Saiyan God to Beerus the Destroyer. This revelation is what hastens the Destroyer God's awakening in the film and the genesis of the events of Battle of Gods.
Goku utilizes the Dragon Balls to ask Shenron how to reach the Super Saiyan God form in order to battle with Beerus. The dragon reveals that they need the power of six righteous Saiyans for one of them to reach the form.
The form gives Goku the power to resist Beerus, but, in the movie and anime, he reverts to his regular base form due to the form's time limit. However, he learns the form's godlike feeling, which allows him to use Super Saiyan God's power against Beerus even in his regular Super Saiyan form. Goku did not quite like Super Saiyan God because he could only reach that level of power with everyone else's help rather than on his own, so Goku feels content becoming able to fight at a level not too far removed from Super Saiyan God all on his own. The two seem to be equally strong at some point with Goku having an edge, but Beerus eventually wins when he uses his Sphere of Destruction in an attempt to take down Goku. Goku is able to stop Beerus' energy sphere, barely holding it back, and then he briefly transforms to Super Saiyan God once again and outputs a large amount of energy to dispel the massive sphere. In the manga, Goku never reverts to his Super Saiyan or base form. He stays a Super Saiyan God throughout the entire fight with no mention of him absorbing that power. Before he runs out of power, Goku destroys Beerus' energy sphere with a Limitbreaker Kamehameha.
In every version of the story, the fight ends with Goku completely exhausted and Beerus spares the planet, impressed by the Saiyan's potential. Beerus states that the Super Saiyan God was not that strong and the Oracle Fish's prediction was a little exaggerated. Beerus then claims he is too worn out from his fight with Goku to destroy the Earth, and he later states that Goku and Vegeta (who says will also become a Super Saiyan God next time) may become truly formidable one day.
Later, in the Dragon Ball Super manga, during the semi-final match of the Tournament of Destroyers, it is revealed that Goku can now access this form under his own will instead of performing the ritual, being able to power up further as a Super Saiyan to access the form. This form proves to be stronger than Vegeta's weakened Super Saiyan Blue form, allowing Goku to repel Hit's Time-Skip and overpower the assassin, choosing not to go straight to his own Super Saiyan Blue form in order to save stamina. Hit responds by using his full power, which only could last a minute, to close the gap between them and appears to freeze Goku in time. However, Goku simply transforms into a Super Saiyan Blue, making him stronger than Hit once more and completely negating his Time-Skip.
After the return of Future Trunks and during Goku's sparring match against him, Goku used this form for a brief instant (although it was off-panel), powering up to it from a Super Saiyan 3 to dodge Future Trunks' attack and knock him down from behind with a single hit.
Later, in the Dragon Ball Super manga, when fighting against Goku Black and Future Zamasu for the second time, Vegeta showcases the ability to transform into a Super Saiyan God at will, just like Goku can. The two Saiyans also reveal to have the ability to switch back and forth between Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue in an instant. This enables them to move around as a Super Saiyan God, and attack and defend as a Super Saiyan Blue - allowing for more concentrated and powerful attacks while heavily minimising recieved damage. Vegeta's usage of this tactic managed to overwhelm Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black. Shin recognizes it as the strategy Goku used when he fought Hit in the Tournament of Destroyers. However, while Goku only went Blue once, Vegeta is doing it numerous times and his power hasn't dropped at all.
When Goku uses the Evil Containment Wave to seal away Future Zamasu, who is invunerable to physical damage, he discovers that he had left the talisman at Kame House, allowing the immortal god to escape from his sealing jar. To fight the enraged Future Zamasu, Goku becomes a Super Saiyan God, noting that after using the Evil Containment Wave, he doesn't have enough stamina to endure his Blue form, but he should be more than powerful enough to defeat the corrupt god. Goku swiftly dodges Future Zamasu's Paralysis, landing powerful blows on him, ignoring his claims that he is immortal. While Goku overwhelms Future Zamasu, he notes to him that Vegeta is about to finish his fight with Black, and asks him what he expects to do by himself, taunting him that Black is using him. Future Trunks notes that Future Zamasu is taking psychological damage. When Goku pushes Future Zamasu back, the immortal Core Person angrily confronts Black about having obstacles in their path. Vegeta plans to finish the two off while they are bickering, but Black calms Future Zamasu down and reminds him about their last resort, before taking off his Potara. Goku immediately recognizes what he plans to do and tries to tell Vegeta to finish them off, before trying to attack them himself. However, the two deities dodge the attack and merge into Fused Zamasu. As Goku and Vegeta are about to attack, Fused Zamasu suddenly moves behind them, easily defeating them with punches to the stomach hard enough for the duo to drop out of Super Saiyan God.
In the manga version of the Zeno Expo, Goku and Top fight each other to demonstrate a mortal battle as the God of Destruction battle royale was too intense for the two Zenos to enjoy. The Zenos find Goku's transformations to be cool and wonder how many he has. The Grand Minister asks Whis how many times Goku can transform and responds by saying that he has five transformations. Whis instructs Goku to use all of his transformations in front of the Zenos. After all of his regular Super Saiyan forms prove useless against the Pride Trooper, Goku remarks that he has no choice but to transform again but warns him that now he will be on an entirely different level before transforming into a Super Saiyan God. The other Gods of Destruction are shown to be impressed by Goku's new power. Top remarks that Goku possesses divine power now and suitably powers up with the Aura of a God as well. The battle resumes and Goku flies up into the air to dodge one of Top's attacks, but the Grand Minister warns him that flying is prohibited. This distracts Goku, who is unable to dodge another attack, almost knocking him off the stage. The battle between the two becomes relatively even and the two Zenos are amazed at the fight. Once again, Beerus orders Goku to transform to finish off his opponent and Goku complies by becoming a Perfected Super Saiyan Blue.
Goku uses this form again during the Tournament of Power in a battle against Dyspo and K'nsi while teaming up with Hit after seeing him struggle. Afterward, when Goku was measuring Jiren's power, he briefly transformed to Super Saiyan God, though all his blows were blocked by Jiren using just one finger. The transformation saw yet another use when Goku took on both Kale and Caulifla and proved powerful enough to allow Goku to be in control of their battle, even though Kale had just perfected her berserker state, making her even more powerful. The difference in power was so great that Goku, while not fully powered up, could resist a close-range full power blast from Kale's controlled state with no harm whatsoever, with the Supreme Kai deeming Goku to be in a different league from them. Once the two Universe 6 Saiyans fused into Kefla, however, even the fused warriors base form was able to surprise Goku with her speed. After Agnilasa is born and starts attacking Team Universe 7, Goku uses this form before ascending to Super Saiyan Blue again.
In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, Vegeta uses the Super Saiyan God form to easily dispatch base Broly after his Super Saiyan form is overwhelmed. However, once Broly achieves his Wrath State, he quickly overwhelms Vegeta, although the latter still survives with only minor injuries from Broly's attacks. Goku shows greater power and skill by being able to fight reasonably even with Broly and even restrain him up until Broly fully transforms into his Wrathful form, at which point Broly easily overpowers and badly beats Goku, although he quickly regains consciousness and stands up, albeit with difficulty. Realizing he needs more strength, Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan Blue.
Later, during the first conflict against Moro on New Namek, Vegeta resorted to use this form when the regular Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 forms proved unable to make headway through Moro's telekinetic powers. Vegeta was able to easily steer clear through Moro's special moves at the same time dispelling his various psychic throw attacks, quickly closing the distance between them to land some good blows forcing the wizard to retreat and employ his magic to manipulate the planet's life energy, sending it towards Vegeta to overwhelm and catch him off-guard. Still Vegeta was able to easily sustain some damage and withstand the pressure long enough to make Moro talk, seconds later Vegeta powers up even further again, tilting the tide in his favor once more.
While facing a horde of Galactic Patrol Prisoners, Perfected Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta revert to Super Saiyan God when Moro starts to absorb their energy. Goku attempts to charge Moro, but is reverted to Super Saiyan 3 by Moro and punched away by Saganbo. Vegeta, whose strength is also being sapped, begins to struggle and reverts to normal.
During a sparring match with Merus to gauge his power, Goku relentlessly attacks the Galactic Patrolman but is unable to land a blow, even as a Super Saiyan 3, due to the agent being an angel and a user of Ultra Instinct. Annoyed, Goku upscales to Super Saiyan God and his increased power causes the training room to start breaking apart, forcing Goku and Merus to stop the session.
Goku uses this form in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. In the manga, he utilizes it alongside Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta in order to knock down the Evil Saiyan Cumber, the sight of the form causing him to destroy his restraints. Oolong also shape-shifts into Super Saiyan God Goku briefly to distract Cumber. In the anime, he uses it to fight the unrestrained base Cumber one-on-one, but is eventually defeated. In the manga version of the Universal Conflict Saga, Goku uses this form to fight Hearts while Vegeta uses it against Oren.
Variations and advanced levels
- Super Saiyan - In the movie and anime, Goku displays the ability to utilize the Super Saiyan God power in his Super Saiyan form following his battle with Beerus.
- Saiyan beyond God - The result of a Saiyan becoming able to use the raw might of Super Saiyan God without having to transform into the form itself.
- Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan - A hybrid Super Saiyan form which is the result of a Saiyan combining the power of Super Saiyan God with the first Super Saiyan form. The color of the resulting form differs depending on whether the user is mortal or an actual deity when obtaining the form.
- Super Saiyan Blue - This form is the result of a mortal Saiyan combining the Super Saiyan God form, or the power of Super Saiyan God with the first Super Saiyan form. The first Super Saiyan form can naturally lead into this form when a Saiyan achieves a high enough power.
- Perfected Super Saiyan Blue - The state where the user has learned to harness the full power of Super Saiyan Blue for an extended period of time. It only appears in the manga.
- Super Saiyan Blue Kaio-ken - The powering up of the Super Saiyan Blue state via the application of the Kaio-ken.
- Super Saiyan Blue Evolved - The result of a Saiyan evolving their Super Saiyan Blue form by breaking their limit, achieving a form far more powerful than Super Saiyan Blue.
- Super Saiyan Blue Berserk - The result of a Super Saiyan Blue being powered up by the Evil Aura from an Evil Saiyan.
- Super Saiyan Blue Controlled Berserk - The state that a Super Saiyan Blue Berserk manages to overcomes the Evil Aura and transform it into their own power.
- Super Saiyan Blue Barrier - A state of the Super Saiyan Blue enhanced by Vegito's Saiyan Shield.
- Super Saiyan Rosé - The Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan form of a Saiyan who is an actual deity in the manga or the result of a Saiyan who is an actual deity transforming into the first, standard Super Saiyan form in the anime.
- Super Saiyan Blue - This form is the result of a mortal Saiyan combining the Super Saiyan God form, or the power of Super Saiyan God with the first Super Saiyan form. The first Super Saiyan form can naturally lead into this form when a Saiyan achieves a high enough power.
- God Broly - The Saiyan God form achieved by the Legendary Super Saiyan Broly.
- Super Saiyan God (Dark Ki Third Stage) - A corrupted form utilized by Giblet from being brainwashed by Zahha.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball: Ultimate Swipe
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden
- Dragon Ball Discross
- IC Carddass Dragon Ball
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Dragon Ball Legends
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
In Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Vegeta's profile in Dragon Ball Fusions, it is said that Vegeta became a Super Saiyan God.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Super Saiyan God Vegeta is a playable character in Ultra Pack 1. The upcoming update and Legendary Pack 2 will also give the Future Warrior his Super Saiyan God form.
In Dragon Ball Heroes, Goku and Vegeta: BR both have cards using the form. Xeno Trunks is able to become a Super Saiyan God from UM11, making him the first Saiyan-Earthling hybrid to acquire the form.
In Dragon Ball Legends, the Ancient Saiyan Shallot can acquire his Super Saiyan God form after being sent by Whis in a quest to train his normal form and collect five pure-hearted and righteous Saiyans which resulted in Shallot achieving the Super Saiyan God form. When in his Super Saiyan God form, the fur on Shallot's tail turns the same red color as his hair. Giblet, Shallot's twin brother, is also shown to have achieved the Super Saiyan God form through unknown means.
In World Mission, Beat can utilize the Super Saiyan God forms of any Saiyan race Avatar (type or gender) after achieving God Class via a wish to Super Shenron. Note reaches God Class upon reaching Bond Lvl 50. Their Super Saiyan God forms are permanent as long as they remain in God Class (Beat and Note can lose it if they upgrade to Super God Class, Beat can also lose it if he changes race which causes his Avatar to lose all class upgrades).
Although not fully featured in Dragon Ball FighterZ, the Super Saiyan God form briefly appears in the Dramatic Finish between Goku and Beerus. Goku briefly regains the form and dispels Beerus' Sphere of Destruction before it can hit the Earth. "Super Saiyan God" is also an obtainable rank title for online players.
- In an interview, Akira Toriyama states the power differences between the Battle of Gods characters. Super Saiyan God Goku is about a "6", Beerus a "10", and Whis about a "15".
- The original design of the Super Saiyan God have him wearing a cape, and the original Super Saiyan God fighting evil Saiyans on Planet Vegeta are very similar to the Guardian of Planet Vegeta (god wearing a cape) wanting to destroy the Saiyans because of their evil behavior as described in King Kai's story about the destruction of Planet Vegeta.
- The form's slim, thin young physique could be noted as similar to that of most other deity characters in the franchise, as most of these characters, like Beerus and Shin, are consistently portrayed with slim, taller and thin physiques and narrow musculature, rather than burly or muscular like most big characters like Jiren.
- Frieza mentions the Super Saiyan God transformation at one point in the 2014 manga Dragon Ball Minus, which is surprising as even the Saiyan Prince Vegeta was originally unaware of the form's existence.
- In the Xenoverse series, due to Goku's short time as a Super Saiyan God and retaining its power in the God of Destruction Saga, he became immune to Demigra's Dark Magic, as the villain's evil magic does not work on deities. According to God of Destruction Beerus from one of the Parallel Quests, the Future Warriors can unlock certain powers of Super Saiyan God (skills from defeating Super Saiyan God Goku). In Ultra Pack 1 of Xenoverse 2, the Future Warrior 2 can obtain Vegeta’s Super Saiyan God skills in additional Parallel Quests. However, they do not have access to transforming into its god form, yet are still besting Beerus and other deities in combat. Additionally, the Future Warrior 2 can unlock "Super Saiyan God" as a nickname for their Play Data profile.
- In Adventure Mode of Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, Goku is told he requires the power of a Legendary Saiyan to stop Omega Shenron's negative energy from warping time and space. Goku later learns from Grand Elder Guru that the Legendary Saiyan is simply another name for the Super Saiyan God.
- Later Goku obtains the form with the help of Vegeta, Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Future Trunks and fights Beerus who comes searching for the Super Saiyan God. After Omega Shenron acquires enough negative energy to create the Ultimate Minus Energy Power Ball, Beerus decides to use Omega Shenron to test Goku's Super Saiyan God power and has Whis awaken the hidden power contained in Goku and Vegeta's subconscious and the two face Beerus, Whis, and Omega Shenron in battle. This causes Goku to reacquire the Super Saiyan God form and its ki manages to seal both the Ultimate Minus Energy Power Ball and Omega Shenron's negative energy in the Ultimate Dragon Balls restoring Universe 7 to normal.
- In the villain scenario of Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, Goku attains the Super Saiyan God form with the help of Vegeta, Gohan, Gotenks, Nappa, and Bardock. The latter is the one responsible for telling them about this transformation and how to achieve it.
- The form was once referred to as "Super Saiyan Red" by Goten, as a reference to Super Saiyan Blue.
- Xeno Trunks received this form instead of Super Saiyan 4 because the creators couldn't decide to give the latter form purple or black hair.
- Though Beat is revealed to be a Earthling Saiyan hybrid descendant of Goku in World Mission, he is only able to achieve Super Saiyan God through his pure Saiyan (Male or Female) Hero Avatar (who's race and type are customizable) which Beat can turn into via his Hero Switch, thus it is unclear if Beat could achieve the form in his natural Earthling Saiyan hybrid body like his mentor and fellow hybrid Xeno Trunks.
- Though Shallot's tail fur turns the same color as his hair, the tails of Saiyan Avatars in the Dragon Ball Heroes series fur remains brown. However it should be noted that the Beat, Note, Erito, Viola, Basaku, and Forte are all Earthlings who use technology to transform into pure Saiyan game Avatars (through Dragon Ball Heroes machines in Victory Mission and the Hero Switch in World Mission) and their tail fur stays brown regardless of their form, while Shallot's tail fur is the same as his hair (as his his hair and tail fur are black in base and Rage Power-up state, while in his fur and hair are golden blonde when he is in his Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, and Super Saiyan 3 forms, and red while in his Super Saiyan God form) in Dragon Ball Legends.
- Dragon Ball Super chapter 51, "To Each Their Own Plans"
- Weekly Shōnen Jump #14, 2013
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse, 2015
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden, 2015
- Dragon Ball Legends, 2018
- Tadayoshi Yamamuro interview. okstars.okwave.jp.
- Different SS God Color. shueisha.
- Cipher's tweet on the Broly anime comic
- "Let's Keep Going, Lord Beerus! The Battle of Gods!"
- "The Earth Explodes?! A Decisive Kamehameha!"
- Reddit post on Nagamine interview
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, 2013
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly, 2018
- Dragon Ball Super episode 11, "Let's Keep Going, Lord Beerus! The Battle of Gods!"
- Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Light Novel)
- OKStars Interview with Yamamuro
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (2013) Official Trailer 2 [HD 1080p]. youtube (February 11, 2013).
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Anime Comics - "Akira Toriyama-sensei Godly Interview". kanzenshuu.
- Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- V-Jump #4, 2013
- Dragon Ball Z episode 20, "Goku's Ancestors"
- Dragon Ball Minus Chapter 12, The Departure of the Fated Child
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden 3DS English: Part 9 - Z Story - Bad Guys Saga. Youtube (November 14, 2015).
- Dragon Ball Super, chapter 13 The Winning Universe is Decided!, page 14