- This article is about South Kai. For other character, see South Supreme Kai.
He is tall, has light pink skin, and wears white Jackie Ohh sunglasses.
Dragon Ball Z
Majin Buu Saga
South Kai trains his fighters in a defensive manner. Fighters of his quadrant include Caterpy, Froug, and Torbie. Out of the fighters of his quadrant, Froug was able to reach the quarter finals of the Other World Tournament, and Torbie managed to reach the semi finals before being eliminated by Pikkon.
He seems confident that Goku will not be able to lift the far heavier load, but gets baffled when Goku turns Super Saiyan and starts to train with ease. He quickly leaves the scene with Papoi while giving an excuse as to why.
Dragon Ball GT
Shadow Dragon Saga
Main article: Shadow Dragon Saga Years later, in Dragon Ball GT, South Kai is shown when Goku asks King Kai to persuade people across the universe to give some of their energy to form an Super Ultra Spirit Bomb. He is shown training Torbie, Mijorin, Chapuchai, Maraikoh, and Froug, still on Grand Kai's Planet.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn
South Kai once again loses the Other World Tournament when his last fighter, Froug, is defeated by Goku in the semi-finals. When Pikkon defeats Arqua, he cheers for Pikkon just to spite King Kai. He was the one to jokingly suggest that the failed Fusion attempt between Goku and Vegeta should be named Veku in the Fusion Reborn movie, and also commented that Veku was fatter than North Kai.
He has the ability to alter the weight on training weights, as is seen when King Kai instructs him to increase Goku's training weights to ten tons each. South Kai then shoots out a wave, crying out the new weight, as the weights are adjusted.
- Flight - The ability to fly using ki.
- Far-Seeing Arts - As a Kai, South Kai can observe events in the South Area and other lower realms.
- Magic Materialization - South Kai use his Magic Materialization ability to add more weight to the training weights Goku was wearing.
- Sealing Spell - In Bojack Unbound, North Kai reveals he and the other Kais, including South Kai, are capable of casting together a Sealing Spell strong enough to seal mortals as powerful as the Galaxy Soldiers inside a star. However, the seal weakens due to North Kai's death during the Cell Games allowing them to escape and target Earth.
- Gun - A pink handgun apparently based upon the Glock 17 that he uses as a starter pistol during the race between West Kai and Goku in the anime.
Video Game Appearances
In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, the player can buy a picture of him from the shop for his profile card.
South Kai also appears in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, South Kai's Super Soul "40 ton Weights!" appears as an item that can be equipped by the Future Warrior which increases the amount of EXP gained from quests and battles as well as simulates Goku's Weight Training that South Kai assisted with as referenced by his Super Soul's phrase.
- Japanese: Toku Nishio (DBZ), Hiroshi Naka (DB Kai)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Émerson Caperbat
- In the manga, South Kai and King Kai are the only Kais ever shown (with the exception of the Supreme Kais and Zamasu/Future Zamasu the former North Kai of Universe 10 in Dragon Ball Super manga).
- In the original Funimation dub, he was given a small hint of southern accent in his voice. This is likely a reference to the fact he is the "South" Kai.