Saiyan beyond God (神を超えたサイヤ人 Kami o koeta Saiya-jin, lit. "Saiyan who has surpassed a God"), also called God-like Saiyan, is an empowered state undertaken by a Saiyan who gains the ability to utilize the power of Super Saiyan God without having to change into the form.
Concept and creation
This state first appears in Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, a pamphlet for the movie explained its nature.
When the Saiyan beyond God state is activated, the user does not suffer from any significant change in appearance beyond the constant presence of a white aura while they fight; however, Goku Black is a minor exception to this, as he possessed a dual dark purple and black aura.
Usage and power
Goku was able to obtain this state by taking on and then dropping out of Super Saiyan God. He is able to access god-like strength without changing forms. When a Saiyan beyond God attempts to transform into a Super Saiyan, they instead become a Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan.
In the anime, while training inside Whis’s Staff, it is noted by Vegeta that to retain this state, the Saiyan must raise their energy while also controlling it so it does not leak out - it is noted by Goku that initially it is very demanding to keep all the energy inside, with Vegeta realizing that this is the secret to divine energy, calling it intense, and thus, like the Super Saiyan Blue form, this state requires absolute ki control to maintain it. In the Dragon Ball Super anime, the Saiyan beyond God state does not possess godly ki, but it raises the user's energy to the same power level of Super Saiyan God and allows the user to sense godly ki.
The form is used by Goku and Vegeta in the Resurrection ‘F’ movie and manga, and also appears in the Golden Frieza Saga of the anime. However, Goku and Vegeta return to using the Super Saiyan God form in the manga version of Dragon Ball Super and later in the anime's Universe Survival Saga as well.
The power of the God-like Saiyan state was such that Goku was able to fight against the trained Frieza's true form. In the movie, Goku clearly outmatched the tyrant. In the manga and anime versions, Frieza's power was on par with Goku in this state. Vegeta also used this form during the events of Frieza's revenge.
Duplicate Vegeta, Vegito, and Gogeta possess this state, as they can become Super Saiyan God Super Saiyans. Goku Black also possesses this state, as he can take on the divine variant of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan: Super Saiyan Rosé.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Legends
This state was named Saiyan beyond God by an ability used by a Goku card introduced in God Mission 1 of Dragon Ball Heroes that allowed him to transform into the state. The form was later replaced by SSGSS after the release of Resurrection ‘F’, and is no longer in the game.
When Super Saiyan Blue Goku is selected in Extreme Butōden, he will briefly appear using it at the beginning of the fight and will return to it at the end of the fight.
In Zenkai Battle, the state functions as Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta's base form in-game.
In Xenoverse 2, the state appears as a form for Goku and Vegeta in their Whis Symbol outfits. It also appears as Goku Black's DLC base form. Vegito briefly appears in this state before transforming into a Super Saiyan Blue in a Super Pack 4 DLC Parallel Quest. Though it does not appear as an actual form or power-up, the Saiyan Future Warrior can also be considered a God-like Saiyan in their base form after they acquire the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Awoken Skill from Whis.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, it appears as a form for Goku (Super), Vegeta (Super), and Goku Black in his base form.
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, Beat achieves his natural Saiyan beyond God form as an Earthling-Saiyan hybrid as a result of achieving his Super Saiyan Blue form through the power provided by his seven Earthling Dragon Ball Heroes teammates during their final confrontation with Sealas (Fused), however, he never uses it in battle as all Saiyan Hero Avatars are classified as pure Saiyans who are unable to use God-like Saiyan due to SDBH game mechanics involving the Hero Avatar Super God Class-up which grants all Saiyan Hero Avatars a permanent Super Saiyan Blue form as an attribute of Super God Class.
In Dragon Ball Legends during the Tournament of Time, Goku Black is revealed to have grow strong enough over the course of the tournament that his Saiyan beyond God state can go up against Super Saiyan Blue Goku (post-Tournament of Power) and Majin Buu Era Ultimate Gohan (after being freed from the Tournament of Time's incarnation of Super Buu and facing a vengeful Basil and Lavender to aid Shallot). Even Super Saiyan God Shallot is surprised by Goku Black's strength as a Saiyan beyond God, though he manages to hold his own against him causing Black to reward him by transforming.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, the Saiyan Future Warrior was referred as a God-like Saiyan; during the "Parallel Quest 67: Power of a Super Saiyan God", the Future Warrior was told by Beerus to hurry up and unlock their Super Saiyan God power (which is the Super God Fist skill that can be obtained right after Goku drops from his Super Saiyan God form to Super Saiyan 2). After this Parallel Quest, Goku carries the Super God Fist more often throughout the other Parallel Quests in his Saiyan beyond God state and in his Super Saiyan Blue form. Though it is descriptively clear, the Saiyan Future Warrior can use the Super Saiyan God power (skills from Goku and Vegeta) without changing into the god form itself.
- Though the Saiyan Avatar users Beat, Note, Viola, Forte, Erito, and Basaku acquire Super Saiyan Blue via achieving Super God Class in Dragon Ball Heroes and is available to Note and Beat (who can select any Saiyan Hero Avatar) upon achieving Super God Class in World Mission, they are unable to utilize the Saiyan beyond God state as their Super Saiyan Blue form is essentially a permanent transformation for them that is tied to their class just like their Super Saiyan God form which is tied to God Class.
- However in World Mission, Beat is an Earthling-Saiyan hybrid descendant of Goku who achieves his natural Super Saiyan Blue form which allows him to achieve Saiyan beyond God as well though he doesn't utilize his natural God-like Saiyan state in battle due to his Hero Switch granting Super Saiyan Blue Beat access to the Super God Class Hero-type Male Saiyan Avatar by default.
- Can transform into Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan, which according to promotional material for the Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ movie refers to Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan as a "Saiyan who has the power of Super Saiyan God, then proceeds to transform into a Super Saiyan".
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, 1.09.00 Update DLC
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, 2019
- God-like Saiyan. shonengamez (2015).
- Battle of Gods Anime Comic: Toriyama interview. kanzenshuu.
- Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’, 2015