- This article is about the technique. For the decision-making game, see Rock-paper-scissors.
In the original version, the user shouts "Jan Ken", then a name corresponding to the attack: "Gu", equals rock and will be a strong punch. "Chyoki", equals scissors and will be a poke in the eyes. "Pa", equals paper and will be an open palm strike. In censored dubs of Dragon Ball, the scissor part is cut.
Goku continues to use the technique up to his first fight with General Blue: he utilizes the scissors portion of the attack on Blue's eyes, preventing him from utilizing his psychokinetic abilities again after being freed by a mouse, and punches him into the cave wall with the rock portion, which knocks Blue out afterwards.
- Scissors Paper Rock Rush EX - A stronger version of Scissors Paper Rock Rush used by Goten, Gotenks, and EX Gotenks in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Scissors Paper Rock Rush SP - A version of Scissors Paper Rock Rush that is even stronger than Scissors Paper Rock Rush EX. One of Goten, Gotenks, and EX Gotenks Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
Video Game Appearances
In Dragon Ball Fusions, it appears under the name Scissors Paper Rock Rush as a special move used by Goten, Gotenks, EX Gotenks, and several minor characters. Additionally it has to stronger versions Scissors Paper Rock Rush EX and Scissors Paper Rock Rush SP. The EX version is stronger than Scissors Paper Rock Rush, while the SP version is stronger than both Scissors Paper Rock Rush and its EX variant.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, it appears as a super skill under the name Scissors Paper Rock in the GT Pack 1 DLC and is one of GT Goku's skills in his third moveset (GT Goku Tailless) along with 2 Power Power-based techniques (all three techniques where used in the original Dragon Ball). The Future Warrior can also obtain this skill as a reward in DLC Parallel Quest Event: "Ultimate Power, Ultimate Saiyan". In the game, the skill triggers a pose where the user must then press different buttons corresponding to each move: Scissor (causes the opponent to be blinded as if hit by a Solar Flare), Paper (can break guards and obstacles and knockback opponents), or Rock (a punch). These attacks can be combined to attack up to 3 times. One example of this skill combos is Scissor (to blind the opponent), Rock (attack the opponent), and Paper (to knockback the opponent). During startup pose, the user is vulnerable and if they are hit they will be unable to finish the technique.
- Rock-paper-scissors, the game the attack takes its name from, is also a very commonly played game in the Dragon Ball universe. It is mainly used to decide who will battle who.
- In edited versions of Dragon Ball, the "scissors" portion frequently ended up cut due to excessive violence.
- During his fight against Jackie Chun, Goku attempted to poke him in the eyes with the "scissors" portion of the technique. However, eye poking is forbidden in the World Martial Arts Tournament.