"The last fight these two were in is now legendary. That battle closed out the previous tournament and brought new meaning to the word 'stamina'. Tien Shinhan was the victor by a narrow margin. Both men have endured three years of training since then, so we can expect three times the power, three times the danger, and three times the excitement. Get ready for some serious fireworks, folks. Because when these two titans clash, there's no telling what may happen."
"Rematch" (激闘ふたたび!悟空VS天津飯 Gekito Futatabi! Goku Tai Tenshinhan, lit. "Another Fierce Fight! Goku vs. Tien Shinhan") is the seventeenth episode of the Piccolo Jr. Saga and the one hundred thirty-ninth episode in the Dragon Ball series. This episode first aired in Japan on December 21, 1988. Its original American airdate was November 4, 2003.
The episode continued with the match of Yamcha and the mysterious Hero. Yamcha uses his signature move, the Wolf Fang Fist. However, Hero finds that this technique leaves Yamcha's legs wide open for attack and blocks Yamcha's attack while kicking his legs. After Hero unleashes a series of counter-attacks, Yamcha uses a powerful new technique, the Spirit Ball. The energy blast misses Hero and travels underneath the stadium to come back up, knocking him off guard. However, Hero easily recovers from his fall and knocks Yamcha out of the ring. Gaining a new respect for Hero, Yamcha asks of Hero's true identity. Hero tells him that his identity will be revealed in time. As Hero and Yamcha walk back into the back room with the other contestants, Hero winks at Goku, aware that he has discovered his true identity as Kami.
The next match pits Tien Shinhan against Goku. The crowd grows anxious, as they are aware that the two faced each other in a momentous final fight from the last tournament. Even Piccolo Jr. is eager to see how Goku fights. As Goku and Tien fight, seemingly equal, the fans and even Master Roshi are surprised at their improved strength and speed. After a lot of fisticuffs and kicks, Goku seems to have the upper hand. However, Piccolo Jr. notices how much tired Tien has become, while Goku is not even short of breath. Master Roshi sees this as well.
Will Goku finally win against Tien, or will Tien prove to be too much for him?
- Hero defeats Yamcha in Match 4.
- Hero is revealed to be Kami.
- Match 5 commences between Goku and Tien Shinhan.
- Yamcha vs. Hero
- Goku vs. Tien Shinhan
Differences from the Manga
- Bulma and her group commenting on Yamcha and his fight after it finishes with Bulma saying that it would be nice to see someone other than Goku make it to the final for a change is exclusive to the anime.
- The scene in between the two matches with Chi-Chi wiping the sweat from Goku's forehead with a towel is exclusive to the anime.
- This is the last time Yamcha uses the Wolf Fang Fist besides flashbacks (Gotenks uses the Wolf Fang Fist in Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!).
- Kami, in Hero's body, tells Yamcha that he is an alien using the body as a vessel. However, Kami does not even learn that he is not from Earth until Dragon Ball Z. The same mistake occurred in "Changes", when the Narrator called Piccolo Jr. an alien presumably an oversight by Funimation who forgot that they just learned this in The Darkest Day. The Japanese version has Kami tell Yamcha that he's "not exactly human" to which Yamcha asks "Then what are you? An alien or something?"
- The old monk who does the opening announcements for the preliminaries is not voiced by James T. Fields here. Instead, it is Sonny Strait, Krillin's actor, providing the voice.
|Piccolo Jr. Saga|
|← King Piccolo Saga||Raditz Saga →|
|123 • 124 • 125 • 126 • 127 • 128 • 129 • 130 • 131 • 132 • 133 • 134 • 135 • 136 • 137 • 138 • 139 • 140 • 141 • 142 • 143 • 144 • 145 • 146 • 147 • 148 • 149 • 150 • 151 • 152 • 153|
|162 • 163 • 164 • 165 • 166 • 167 • 168 • 169 • 170 • 171 • 172 • 173 • 174 • 175 • 176 • 177 • 178 • 179 • 180 • 181 • 182 • 183 • 184 • 185 • 186 • 187 • 188 • 189 • 190 • 191 • 192 • 193 • 194|
|14 • 15 • 16|