Portal Opening (ポータルオープン Pōtaruōpun) is a technique used by many fighters to manipulate reality in order to suit their use.
Most users create small, combat-oriented portals in order to catch their opponent off guard or evade incoming attacks. In Dragon Ball GT, two users can create a gate between worlds by creating an interconnecting energy beam to each other.
In the Dragon Ball Super, the Grand Minister utilizes portals to warp from one realm to another realm. During the Tournament of Power Agnilasa can create portals like Fused Zamasu and Janemba as part of his Hyperspace Punch technique.
In the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga, Seven-Three kills several members of a species that possess the ability to create "Warp Portals" and copies this ability from one of them, using it to get himself, Shimorekka, and Yunba to Earth. He then uses the ability to get behind Piccolo to copy his abilities, and one more time to get himself and his allies back to Moro.
In Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone and the Garlic Jr. Saga, Garlic Jr. can open a portal to another dimension called Dead Zone though both times its use ends up backfiring as he ends up getting pushed into the portal after Garlic Jr. opens it by Gohan. As Garlic Jr. is Immortal this technique ends up being his greatest weakness as it means the Dragon Team can use his own technique against him to seal him away and the second time it is for good as Gohan destroys the Makyo Star that is the source of his power.
Piccolo and Dende use the technique to get Goku out of Hell to rescue his friends from the mighty Super 17. Piccolo states that this technique is a fusion of the mind between two Namekians. After Goku questions whether or not Piccolo can get him out of Hell, Piccolo contacts Dende at the Lookout to create the interconnecting energy beam to each other, which creates a gate between Hell and Earth after several attempts.
In Dragon Ball Super: Broly, the Energy Clash between Super Saiyan Gogeta's Super Kamehameha and Super Saiyan C-type Broly's Gigantic Omegastorm was so powerful that it shattered the boundaries of time and space, causing the two Super Saiyans to be transported to a Dimension of Strange Swirling Lights. It should be noted that the Energy Clash functioned in a manner similar to how Piccolo and Dende performed Portal Opening in Dragon Ball GT, though in the case of the film it was an unintended side effect of the sheer power generated by the energy clash.
During the Supreme Kai of Time Saga in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, the former Supreme Kai of Time Aeos is capable of opening portals to remove attacks from the local space-time which she uses to stop the Future Warrior in Black and Super Saiyan God Xeno Trunks' attacks.
- Dead Zone - A technique where Garlic or his son Garlic Jr. open a singularity to the Dead Zone.
- Illusion Smash - An attack where Janemba utilizes portals in order to fire punches at his opponent from a distance.
- Hyperspace Punch - A variation of Illusion Smash used by Agnilasa. Named Subspace Punch in World Mission indicating that in SDBH the portals are connected to the same subspace dimension as Subspace Summons.
- Dimensional Hole - One of Janemba's portal techniques where he creates a portal to absorb his opponents' ki blast, and then opens the portal elsewhere to launch it at them.
- Vice Shout - A technique where the user yells out extremely loudly, cracking dimensional walls and creating a portal.
- Energy Clash - A phenomenon where two energy based techniques collide which if sufficiently powerful has the potential to unintentionally effect the very fabric of reality.
- The Power of the Dark - A technique where Evil Bardock opens a portal to the edge of time and space.
- Gate - Devices used by the Time Patrol that connect two separate areas via interconnect portals allowing them to travel quickly between different location. Used by Time Patrollers in Dragon Ball Online and the Xenoverse series.
- Wormhole - Specially timed magic-based wormhole technique developed by Demigra that caused several time distortions following Demigra's defeat in the Crack of Time. Capable of infecting various people with Dark Magic and transporting beings through time, to further Demigra's plans.
- Burst Ki - In the Timespace Rift, this technique allows Tekka to open holes in timespace allowing people to come through or peer into other eras. Can be used by Tekka in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- The Work of the Gods - A rift in space-time created when Goku Black used the Sickle of Sorrow energy blade to attack Vegeta. The energy slash used in attempt to attack Vegeta, as well as some assistance of Goku Black's Time Ring, was powerful enough to tear open reality to create this rift. This rift spawned several clones of Black, all from seconds in the past. The rift can generate more duplicates if destroyed or the clones can regenerate on their own.
- Hell Gate (portal) - A type of space-time portal utilized by Demon Gods in Super Dragon Ball Heroes. Xeno Trunks' Key Sword created by Robelu has the power to open and seal Hell Gates.
- Hell Gate Slasher - A offensive variation of Hell Gate and Hell Slasher used by Demon God Dabura and Demon God Buu (Demon God Dabura Absorbed) as their Super Attack in Super Dragon Ball Heroes and World Mission. The user summons Demon God Darkness Swords from multiple Hell Gates that fly out and hit the opponent. The exact color of these portals is dark-black with a violet-purple and magenta outline.
- Subspace Summons - A type of CAA Super Ability in Dragon Ball Heroes and World Mission where the user summons an object like Frieza's Spaceship or character(s) from Subspace to either attack a enemy or enemy team depending on the type of summons. All Subspace Summons require the Hero Avatar card to be in the user's deck to activate the CAA Super Ability with most having the Hero Avatar open the Subspace portal even if the CAA Super Ability belongs to another character.
- Time Cutter: Black Hole - A technique using Time Cutter to slash open a portal in space-time.
Video Game Appearances
In the story of Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Janemba's messing with reality creates holes in time and space that connect multiple dimensions and timelines together, which displaces people in time and allows the dead to reclaim their living bodies and return to the living realm.
- Dragon Ball Super episode 64, "Worship Me! Give Praise Unto Me! The Explosive Birth of a Merged Zamasu!"
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse, 2015
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Legendary Pack 1 DLC
- Daizenshuu 7, 1996