The New Cell, always referred to as just Cell (セル Seru), is a Bio-Android created by Dr. Gero during the Tournament of Time. He was created from the same bio-essence as his original counterpart, with the addition of new sources including Captain Ginyu, Frost, Nappa, Cabba and Shallot.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 4 Power
- 5 Techniques and Special Abilities
- 6 Forms and Transformations
- 7 Video Game Appearances
- 8 Voice Actors
- 9 List of characters killed New Cell
- 10 Trivia
- 11 References
- 12 Site Navigation
The new Cell is identical to the previous Cell.
The new Cell is arrogant, considering himself far superior to the original Cell.
New Cell is also shown to be willing to take dangerous risks in order to achieve greater levels of power, which is shown when he admitted that his plan to use the Super Cell Games to achieve his Super Perfect Form was risky as their was no guarantee that he would survive.
Like the original Cell, he sees himself as superior to others to the point he treats them as little more than playthings. Even his own allies don't mean anything to him and his has no problem killing Cooler for attempting to blow up the Earth, as it would end his "games" too early. However before acquiring his perfect form, he is willing to work with Dabura (and by extension the Organization of Babidi) especially after the King of Demon Realm assists him in absorbing Android 18 and agrees to host the Super Cell Games as a way to pay his debt to Dabura, even though New Cell has his own reasons for hosting the games.
As he has data on the original Cell, he is aware of what lead to his counterpart's downfall. As a result he is aware of the true power of Gohan (Youth) whom he seemingly wishes to surpass and defeat to prove that he is superior original Cell, by doing what he could not. He also able to tell that Zahha's Locational Phasing Spell is a form of teleportation that is different from Instant Transmission. He also seems to have knowledge of Gohan and Goku's genetic heritage as his data reveals Bardock to be Goku's biological father when he accesses it upon encountering Bardock during the Super Cell Games. After Bardock works with Shallot to successfully stop Final Form Cooler from destroying the Earth, New Cell acknowledges Bardock and even praises him for it.
However he underestimates both Hercule and Zahha's magical abilities, which ultimately leads to his downfall when Hercule carries Zahha to Shallot so he can heal him, allowing Shallot and Gohan to finish him off.
Additionally like Shallot, Goku, Vegeta, Nappa, Cabba, and Piccolo, New Cell was fooled by the Mastermind Zahha's undercover "good guy" persona, never realizing that he was the true Mastermind that was secretly responsible for New Cell's creation via influencing Turles, Dr. Gero, and Babidi via the Dark Ki.
Dragon Ball Legends
Main article: Dragon Ball Legends Finding that obtaining the bio-essence of the numerous strong warriors participating in the Tournament of Time was the ideal way to create a Bio-Android superior to the original Cell, Gero did this, creating this New Cell in his Imperfect Form from the get-go and programming him to absorb 17 and 18 to obtain his Perfect Form. While he was initally troubled by Shallot, Zahha, and Cabba, Cell eventually manage to capture Androids 17 and 18 and attain his Perfect Form thanks to the intervention of Dabura. Deciding to return the favor, Cell decided to start the Super Cell games to create chaos.
He mass produced Cell Jr. to wreak havoc in order to "train" people in the week leading up to the Super Cell Games. Due to the number of Tournament of Time participants on Earth, New Cell makes the Super Cell Games a team battle royale. As a result, he forms his own team consisting of Frieza's brother Cooler and the leader of the Galaxy Soldiers Boujack, both of whom were provided by Dabura.
At the Super Cell Games, the Pre-Cell Games Hercule attempts to take on New Cell much like how his present counterpart had with the original Cell during the Cell Games. Eventually, Cell split himself using the Multi Form Technique so he could fight multiple opponents at once. One of his copies fought Gohan while one fought against Shallot & Cabba. During their battle with the clone, Shallot and Cabba manage to achieve Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan forms respectively. Their newfound power allows them to defeat the clone. Boujack is eliminated from the Super Cell Games when the repaired Android 16 decides to use his Last Resort which Bulma (Youth) didn't notice so the bomb wasn't removed, allowing 16 to heroically sacrifice himself to take Boujack out of the tournament, allowing Cabba and Shallot focus on assisting Gohan. During his battle with Shallot, Final Form Cooler attempts to destroy the Earth with a Supernova, but the attack is stopped by the intervention of Shallot's ally Bardock. New Cell proceeds to injure Cooler using his brother's Death Beam technique, then destroys him for daring to destroy the Earth, as it would end the Super Cell Games prematurely. With his allies out of the way and the other participants dealt with, Cabba, Gohan, Shallot, Zahha, & Bardock focus on taking down New Cell. However despite managing to seemingly destroy him, New Cell survives and returns stronger than ever in his Super Perfect Form, revealing that was his goal behind creating the Super Cell Games. New Cell admits his plan was a gamble on his part as their was no guarantee he would survive and comeback stronger like the original Cell did during the Cell Games, though he is pleased with the results.
Fortunately, Hercule comes to the rescue by helping to carry Zahha to Shallot and Gohan, so he can use his healing magic. Enraged by how New Cell treats people like their his playthings, SSJ Shallot & SSJ Gohan combine Gohan's Super Kamehameha and Shallot's Wild Cannon into a powerful energy wave strong enough to destroy New Cell, putting an end to the so-called "Ultimate Warrior" and his Games once and for all.
However it is later revealed that Shallot's twin brother Giblet and the Organization of Babidi were behind New Cell's creation in addition to Dabura convincing him to host the Super Cell Games so they could gather more Kili. However Babidi himself was ultimately being manipulated by the true Mastermind behind the Tournament of Time with Giblet revealed to be part of the Mastermind's group. Ultimately Zahha turns out to have been working as a double agent and reveals himself as the true Mastermind behind the Tournament of Time thus was the one responsible for manipulating Babidi, Dr. Gero, Turles, and Giblet with the Dark Ki. Zahha did this in order to collect Kili for the Omnificence Crystal, a failed prototype Super Dragon Ball the fragments of which Zahha had placed within Shallot and Giblet in order bring the Omnificence Crystal to completion so he can carry out his ultimate goal of destroying Universe 7.
In his Imperfect Form, the new Cell is far stronger than Cell, being strong enough to outmatch Piccolo and easily take down base Cabba.
With his Semi-Perfect Form, he is able to outmatch Super Saiyan Shallot and goes on to evenly fight the upgraded Android 16.
It is said by Piccolo that if this new Cell reaches his Perfect Form, his power will be far beyond what the original Cell's power ever was. Zahha is scared of the possibility of the new Cell reaching his Perfect Form.
Later, after absorbing Android 18 and achieving his Perfect Form, he is able to take Super Saiyan Shallot’s attacks without any harm and easily take him down with one strike while holding back. He is also noted by Gohan to be on a whole other level than the previous Cell was. While his power was split by Multi-Form, his main body fought Super Saiyan 2 Teen Gohan and was on the losing end. One of his clones was able to overpower Super Saiyan Shallot and base Cabba, but was defeated by Super Saiyan 2 Shallot and Super Saiyan Cabba, another fought Goten and Trunks, another fought Bardock and the last fought Krillin, Tien and Zahha.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight - The ability to fly through the use of ki.
- Ki Blast - The most basic form of energy wave.
- Rapid Movement - The use of high-speed movement to create an illusion of teleportation.
- Full Power Charge - Like every other playable character in Dragon Ball Legends, New Cell is capable of charging his Ki.
- Saiyan Power
- Absorption - Like other incarnations of Cell, New Cell can absorb the life essence of others. He must also absorb incarnations of Android 17 (or his future counterpart) and Android 18 (or her future counterpart) in order to achieve his perfect form.
- Galick Gun - Vegeta's signature Kamehameha-like energy wave technique. Inherited from Vegeta's cells. Used by New Cell in his Imperfect Form during his first encounter with Shallot, Zahha, 17, and 18.
- Kamehameha - The signature technique of the Turtle School and Goku. Inherited from Goku's cells.
- Solar Kamehameha - A powerful variation of the Super Kamehameha used by New Cell which he inherited from his counterpart due to him containing the original Cell's bio-essence.
- Solar Flare - A Crane School technique where the user produces a blinding flash of light to momentarily blind their opponents. Inherited from his counterpart due to him containing the original Cell's bio-essence.
- Wild Cannon - Shallot's signature technique where the user creates an energy sphere in one hand then punches it with the other to produce an energy wave. Used by Perfect Cell during the Super Cell Games revealing to Shallot and Cabba that he possesses Shallot's cells.
- Vocal Mimicry – He displayed this ability by mimicking Android 17's voice like his counterpart. Used in an attempt to convince Shallot to let Cell absorb Android 18, but Shallot saw through New Cell's deception.
- Multi-Form - Cell, just like his normal timeline counterpart, can use this technique. He displayed this ability by making multiple clones of himself during the Super Cell Games.
Forms and Transformations
The form that this Cell was born in. Even in this form, his strength far surpasses the previous Cell's.
Main article: Form Change The new Cell achieves this form after absorbing Android 18. While powerful he was defeated by the combined strength of Bardock, Super Saiyan Cabba, and Gohan and Shallot in their Super Saiyan 2 forms.
In-game this form is known as Perfect Form Cell.
Super Perfect Form
Main article: Super Saiyan 2 The New Cell set up the Super Cell Games in order to have fighters strong enough to annihilate him show up so that he could regenerate into his Super Perfect Form like his predecessor had. He is however defeated by the combined energy wave of the rage empowered Super Saiyan 2 Gohan and Super Saiyan 2 Shallot.
In-game the Super Perfect Form of New Cell and the original Cell is simply known as Perfect Cell.
Video Game Appearances
List of characters killed New Cell
- Multiple Earthlings and Tournament Participates - Absorbed by New Cell in his Imperfect Form.
- Cooler - Killed by New Cell during the Super Cell Games for attempting to destroy the Earth; New Cell first uses Frieza's Death Beam technique to injure Cooler, then finishes him off with a powerful blast that destroys the Super Cell Games Arena.
- Due to possessing Shallot's cells, New Cell is genetically a partial member of the ancient Super Saiyan God subspecies, in addition to modern Saiyans due to possessing the cells of Goku and Vegeta. Additionally he is also genetically related to Giblet due to him being Shallot's twin brother. Additionally like the Saiyan twins, New Cell is apparently genetically related to the Original Super Saiyan God.
- He also possesses Universe 6 Frieza Race DNA due to possessing Frost's cells.
- Oddly, despite possessing Shallot's genes and inheriting his Wild Cannon technique, New Cell shows no signs of possessing Shallot's heightened olfactory sense that allows him to determine one's power level via scent alone. One explaination is that the neo-Saiyan (a term Giblet uses in reference to modern Saiyans like Goku, Vegeta, & Nappa, as well as Evolved Saiyans like Cabba) cells prevents Cell from inheriting genes related to Ancient Shallot's olfactory sense simply due to New Cell having a higher percentage of neo-Saiyan cells compared to Ancient Saiyans.
- Alternatively, New Cell does indeed possess the same heightened olfactory sense as Shallot, but simply never got a chance to demonstrate it.
- Due to his death during the Super Cell Games, it is unknown if New Cell could achieve his own equivalent to Shallot's Super Saiyan God form, though given his lack of a righteous heart, it is unlikely he could achieve it via the ritual.
- New Cell is ironically one of the few villains to defend the Earth from potential destruction by another villain as he kills Cooler after his attempt to destroy Shallot and the Earth with a Supernova failed due to the intervention of Bardock (with Cell even complementing the biological father of Goku) though his motives are self-serving as if Cooler blew up the Earth then the Super Cell Games would have ended prematurely.
- Cell also points out that both Bojack and Cooler's services were supplied to him by Dabura, indicating that they were unknowingly being used by both Babidi's Forces (as Dabura was serving Babidi's interests) and New Cell himself (for the Super Cell Games as he needed a team due to it being a team battle royale).
- Ironically, New Cell himself was created by Zahha through his control over Babidi and Dr. Gero via Dark Ki. Though ultimately Zahha was simply using New Cell as a pawn to encourage his "allies" (Shallot and his allies) growth and to collect Kili for the Omnificence Crystal. Zahha also healed Shallot in his role as double agent, allowing Shallot and Gohan to ultimately defeat New Cell. Thus unbeknownst to New Cell, he was ultimately nothing but another pawn of the Mastermind.