"What's wrong? Oh wait, don't tell me. I think I know what you need. A nice trip to the afterlife. One way, of course."
Nappa (ナッパ Nappa) is a mid-class Saiyan warrior from Planet Vegeta, and Vegeta's partner in combat. Prior to the destruction of Planet Vegeta, Nappa was the general of the Saiyan Army and aid/partner to the young prince, Vegeta. After his race's demise, he, along with Vegeta and Raditz, worked as soldiers directly under Frieza, which led him to Earth.
Nappa is the secondary antagonist of the Vegeta Saga.
Nappa is a tall and muscular man. Though his Saiyan genes give him the appearance of someone in their mid-30s, Nappa is approximately 50 years old when he is first shown in the series. At this time, he looks identical all the way to the time of his death; though his structure in his younger years shows him to be a bit slimmer. His thin mustache tends to change with each part in his life; as at middle age of 30's his mustache smaller in comparison than it is now; by the range of the Saiyan Saga, Nappa's mustache is slightly larger, longer, splits into two sections (noting he tends to shaves his facial hair on occasion) and then it grows back fully during the year one radius to Earth. In Dragon Ball GT, Nappa's skin tone is given a noticeable reddish-pink tan. His mustache has grown slightly thicker and noticeably longer. It is also split into two sections again, but noticeably has peach fuzz in the middle noting he shaved it sometime while he was dead and it is growing back. He has hair in Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku (although it seems to be a small patch, lacking sideburns of any kind). Like most Saiyans, Nappa wears a scouter.
Nappa has quite a destructive personality and loves demolition to an extreme level. When arriving on Earth, the first thing he asks Vegeta is if he can destroy a town. When taking time off to wait for Goku, Vegeta allows him to destroy as many things and places as he wants (in the anime only), as long as he does not waste enough energy to break a sweat. Nappa proceeds to demolish an entire Navy fleet division as well as an aerial raid, smashing through many jets and helicopters before leveling a slew of ships. Despite this, however, he usually congratulates his victims when they utilize attacks that come close to killing him, as evidenced when he congratulates Tien Shinhan on his use on a Spirit Tri-Beam that shattered his Battle Armor, citing that, had his aim been better, it would have severely injured him.
Nappa also has a very cocky personality, as he enjoys toying with his opponents. Nappa is somewhat sadistic, and his sadism is strongest by far towards Goku, and he repeatedly voices the intention to kill Goku's friends and son before his eyes as revenge for his treason towards his own race (by siding with Earthlings instead of the Saiyans). He tends to fight first and makes use of his brawn more so than his brain. However, his great ego would immediately vanish the second someone causes him a bruise or scar, and would decide to kill them slowly and painfully as a result. He is, in this instance, vain to the extent that he feels his appearance should remain unscathed (though in the Japanese dub, his rage against Krillin is fueled by the blow to his pride over being wounded by a much weaker opponent). However, he would still eliminate anyone as quickly as possible when losing patience with them.
Oftentimes, he allows his anger to get the best of him, becoming extremely enraged and infuriated and unable to think properly, which results in Vegeta constantly reminding or, in some cases, ordering him to calm down. Whenever Vegeta tells off Nappa for acting asinine, or not listening, Nappa apologizes to Vegeta, usually in a slightly fearful state, and then proceeds to claim he was not thinking straight, showing his respect for Vegeta. In the Japanese dub, Nappa normally addresses Vegeta in a casual manner. In Bardock - The Father of Goku, this is alluded to be Vegeta's preference when he orders Nappa to "quit bootlicking". However, whenever chastised by Vegeta, he always addresses him with very polite language, as one would normally address a superior. It is only when Vegeta decides to kill him that Nappa abandons all respect for him, even calling Vegeta a "dirty rat" (though only in the Ocean dub) and challenging him in Dragon Ball GT. Despite many years of loyalty, Nappa also seems to never like working with his those superior to him such as Vegeta possibly due to the fact that Nappa doesn't like being in servitude (as that is a common trait among Saiyans working under Frieza) and is capable of going as far as killing a superior he dislikes if given the opportunity. This is evidenced in the fact that in a what-if scenario in Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden, Nappa defeats Goku under orders from Vegeta and decides to rebel against Vegeta. Both combat each other and Nappa defeats Vegeta, afterward killing Vegeta with his Volcano Explosion attack similarly like how Vegeta killed Nappa with his Galaxy Breaker in the original. Nappa also calls Frieza a jerk in Dragon Ball FightersZ after being scolded by him showing that despite his loyalty, he still thinks low of his superiors though still maintains some form of respect toward them.
An anime-only flashback in the Frieza Saga, shows a more sympathetic side to Nappa. He appears to be shocked when Vegeta claims not to care about the death of his father and the rest of the Saiyan race, and his overall dialogue seems to imply that he does not kill when there is nothing in it for him, once even nearly attacking Frieza, Zarbon and Dodoria when they mocked them in how long it took to take out Planet Shikk instead of rewarding them for their task, with only Vegeta stopping him. Also, when Nappa and Vegeta learn about the Dragon Balls and their wish-granting capability, Nappa's first suggestion is to bring Raditz back to life, demonstrating that despite his ruthlessness, he cares for his friends and comrades. In the manga and anime Nappa's ideal are often geared toward the greater good when put into thought, this is shown to where he suggest on putting priority in repopulating with the people of Earth in hopes of cultivating a new Earthling/Saiyan Hybrid race however Vegeta opposes to the idea much to Nappa's dismay (though ironically Vegeta himself would later settle down on Earth and ended up having a hybrid son with Bulma and later a daughter as well, though Nappa himself is hostile towards Vegeta's son as well as his son from the future in various video games due to them being related to the backstabbing Vegeta). Within a filler episode, Nappa is interested in being titled "A hero" by the remaining Arlians and doesn't feel it bad to do a good deed (possibly even considering to spare Arlians their planet), however Vegeta opposes which revealingly disappoints the Saiyan.
Despite all his banter and intimidating/ferocious nature, Nappa is quite timid and becomes easily nervous when confronted by his superiors like Vegeta. It has been shown several times for when scolded by Vegeta he shows signs of fear and even in Dragon Ball GT, Nappa (for a short time) becomes nervous and trembles to hear the sound of Vegeta's voice again. In a what-if of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi, Nappa even shows great fear in trying to fight Frieza and tries to mask this in showing he is brave enough to fight the tyrant. Nappa throughout his appearance seems to show a plight of stating his opinion, but are often denied by Vegeta, though gradually he accepts this, much to his disappointment this seemingly places him in a corner to let his comrades speak for him. Despite being highly loyal to his superiors, Nappa is shown to be rebellious, often ignoring or questioning the orders given to him, this even goes beyond the point that he'll attack his superiors or disobeys them if he is insulted or he disagrees to the ideals of his superiors than his own.
When in battle, Nappa often gets very excited and in a sense treats his opponents in an animalistic view point, referring them as his "toys" or "prey", this is demonstrated in Dragon Ball Xenoverse where, if the Future Warrior trains under Nappa, he'll refer to the Future Warrior as his "prey" and would prefer the warrior gives him a good performance instead of "breaking" them too soon. This enthusiastic brutally often stalls his fight so he may find pleasure of making the opponents suffer longer which makes him lose sight in his mission. However his enthusiasm for demolition and the need to fight, much like anger, often gets the best of him, usually having Vegeta refrain him from continuing as exampled in his fight with the Z Fighters and the following fight with Goku. In Xenoverse 2, he treats the warrior as his new punching bag at first though is careful not to break his new "toy" while training them. However his treatment of them changes as they continue to improve and at the end of his training considers them comrades. He is also shown to be knowledgeable of the Super Saiyan legend and believes that with enough training either he or Vegeta could make the leap to Super Saiyan and believes he would look awesome as a Super Saiyan. Ultimately this belief is proven to be well founded as he can eventually acquire the form after unlocking it as an Awoken Skill through Partner Customization. Though a brute at times, he is smart enough to train his tail in order to overcome its weaknesses and even tells the Future Warrior about Raditz skipping tail training which he uses as an example of the importance to train to overcome such weaknesses as Raditz's lack of training cost him showing he is a good teacher who recognizes the importance of training which is likely due to being an experienced mid-class soldier who has survived many battles. He is also slightly insulted when the Warrior gives him a toupee as a gift, though takes it anyway (unlocking it as a Special Costume) indicating he is sensitive about going bald due to his age.
Nappa seems to be very knowledgeable about Saibamen; he knows how to grow them and seems to enjoy planting them. He even shows some slight compassion for them, as he is shocked when Vegeta kills one of their own after it failed to kill Tien. He is also shown coaching the Saibaman who fights Yamcha and is angry that its fight ends in a draw, saying that settling for a draw is pathetic. After Krillin and Piccolo kill the four remaining Saibamen, Nappa begs Vegeta to let him kill the five remaining Z Fighters. He is also hostile towards Android 17 when the Park Ranger kills several of his Saibamen for endangering the local ecosystem in a Extra Pack 2 DLC Parallel Quest, indicating Nappa cares about the Saibamen he grows (with the exception those that he grows for training purposes).
Due to Vegeta killing him for bring crippled by Kakarot despite years of loyal service to the Saiyan Prince, he is shown to hold a grudge against him after his death and seeks to take revenge on him when revived in Dragon Ball GT and various video games. He is also shown to be willing to work under Frieza again after bring resurrected in Dragon Ball FighterZ though he does take offense to being called a low class warrior, proudly proclaiming himself to be a mid-class Saiyan soldier. He also notices the uncharacteristic behavior of the Ginyu Force when they fail to pose or show loyalty to Frieza indicating he is aware of their normal quirk for posing and devotion to Frieza. After he and Frieza free them from the artificial souls controlling them he wonders if they were better off before after the Ginyu Force return to their original personalities and start posing again though Frieza doesn't mind their annoying habit as long as they are loyal and willing to do his bidding. Nappa himself even competes with the Ginyu Force over who will get the chance to kill a Clone Vegeta as they all want revenge for being killed by the Saiyan Prince. It is implied that Nappa follows Frieza mainly out of fear and due to his grudge against Vegeta and Kakarot which is shared by Frieza and the Ginyu Force.
His hatred for Vegeta extends to his son Trunks and Future Trunks. He also dislikes Gotenks in FighterZ when the hybrid Saiyan fusion curiously asks to see Nappa Super Saiyan form which forces Nappa to reveal his inability to transform which he is sensitive about in FighterZ and claims there must be something wrong with them given that Super Saiyans were only spoken of in legend during his previous lifetime and being unaware of how the transformation is triggered. Its also possible he attributes Goten, Trunks, and Gotenks use if the form to their status as hybrids as he was originally under the impression that reproducing with humans could produce Super Saiyan offspring (unaware it is their power and in the case of Goten genetics that enable them to acquire it).
Nappa was born into a noble family, and thus has a high ranking and power level compared to other Saiyans, automatically making him an upper level warrior. At a young age he battled alongside his Saiyan comrades during the Saiyan-Tuffle War. Eventually, he was assigned to the same group as Raditz, later Vegeta was added to the group too. Nappa was the direct subordinate to Prince Vegeta. At the time when Planet Vegeta was destroyed Nappa was in his 20s or 30s, he and the rest of Vegeta's group were away on a mission and did not return from the mission even when called back as Vegeta chose to ignore the message. When they received a message that Planet Vegeta was destroyed by a meteorite, Nappa wondered about Raditz and Vegeta's younger brothers but neither of them cared.
A few days before the destruction of Planet Vegeta, in Age 737, Nappa is seen watching the young Vegeta fight a group of Saibamen on monitor screens, and afterwards having a conversation about Frieza.
In an anime only flashback in the Frieza Saga, Nappa, along with Raditz and Vegeta return from their conquest on Planet Shikk. However, they are met with insult rather than congratulations by Dodoria, Zarbon, and Frieza. Nappa nearly loses control of himself and tries to attack Frieza, Zarbon and Dodoria, but Vegeta orders his comrade to calm and stand down, knowing that they would not stand a chance against them. Afterward, he then informs Vegeta that there was talk that, contrary to the reports about an asteroid collision blowing up the Saiyan race, it had in fact been Frieza who was responsible for Planet Vegeta's destruction, although Vegeta dismissed it, citing he didn't care and implied that the Saiyan race as a whole was weak for perishing.
Eventually, the three Saiyans come across a planet which they wish to conquer in order to sell for a high price, but the inhabitants prove to be much stronger than they had anticipated, so they temporarily abort the mission. However, they soon discover the location of Raditz's long-lost younger brother, Kakarot, who has been raised on Earth. While Raditz heads for Earth to intercept Goku, Nappa goes on to conquer another planet with Vegeta.
Dragon Ball Z
"Do you think I was trying too hard to impress them, Vegeta?"
While sitting near a fire, they receive a distress call from Raditz, who has been defeated by Goku and Piccolo. Raditz relays Piccolo's explanation about Earth's Dragon Balls to Nappa and Vegeta in the hopes that they will come to use the balls to revive him. Nappa does briefly consider wishing Raditz back to life, but Vegeta instead decides to use the balls for them to wish for immortality, also adding that Raditz deserved to die for foolishly underestimating his opponents. They also take note of the high power level displayed by Goku's Earthling-Saiyan hybrid son, Gohan. Nappa briefly suggests merely taking over Earth so that they may mate with its inhabitants and produce a race of powerful half-breed Saiyans, who may eventually become Super Saiyans and re-establish Saiyan dominance in the universe, but Vegeta fears that they may become more powerful than the two of them, and merely settles on immortality (though the dialogue about producing an army of half-breed Saiyans is omitted in the Funimation dub) as they depart for Earth.
In anime filler, Vegeta and Nappa stop by Arlia for a short time in February of Age 762 while they are traveling to Earth. While there, they make quick work of the planet's strongest warrior, Yetti, along with the planet's king, King Moai. After this, Vegeta destroys the whole planet.
After arriving on Earth, Nappa does a power demonstration by blowing up an entire city just with his Volcano Explosion technique. After Vegeta warns him not to do so or he will kill him (because it could destroy any Dragon Ball nearby), they head off to seek out the Dragon Balls, heading directly to where Gohan, Piccolo and Krillin are, looking for the one who killed Raditz, arriving moments before Yamcha, Chiaotzu and Tien Shinhan.
Nappa reads the fighters power levels and mocks them, however Vegeta drops his scouter, claiming that the fighters can hide their true power levels, making the readings useless. Nappa plants six seeds into the earth's soil, and a group of Saibamen grow. Tien is the first to take on a Saibaman, defeating it without much effort, shocking Nappa, as each of the creatures' power levels were equal to Raditz. After Yamcha was killed by a Saibaman, and after Krillin and Piccolo destroyed the rest of them, Nappa charges up and demonstrates his sheer power over the Dragon Team, by brutally breaking Tien's arm in one clean punch. After Nappa uses his Blazing Storm attack on Krillin, Chiaotzu disappears, with everyone thinking he was caught in the blast. However, Chiaotzu flew on Nappa's back and self destructed, but it was in vain, as not even Nappa's Battle Armor was damaged much. Angry over his best friend's death, Tien uses the last of his energy to attack Nappa with a Spirit Tri-Beam, which proves to be in vain as well since he falls to the ground and dies immediately afterwards, while Nappa survives again with no serious injuries. After the demise of Chiaotzu and Tien, Piccolo develops a plan to destroy Nappa with a team attack, but Gohan becomes too afraid to attack during the part where he was supposed to blast him. Before the fight can continue, Vegeta decides to pause it for three hours to allow Goku to show up, finding it amusing that Krillin, Piccolo and Gohan have so much faith on such a low level Saiyan warrior as Kakarot. In filler, to keep himself occupied, Nappa destroys the news crew that had been reporting on the battle, and then easily decimates the military forces, consisting of battleships and aircraft carriers, that were en route to stop the Saiyans (albeit with enough effort regarding the latter that he admitted he may have come close to sweating from the last attack, causing him slight concern as Vegeta had given him permission to go on his destructive rampage under the condition that he not waste enough energy to cause him to sweat afterward.). After that, he destroys another city with his Exploding Wave technique.
After three hours have passed with Goku not appearing, Nappa takes off his armor so there is nothing holding back his power and the fight resumes. Piccolo devises a plan that involves him grabbing Nappa's tail to weaken him, but Nappa had already become immune to this and does not suffer any pain, unlike Raditz did. When Piccolo attempts this plan, Nappa elbows Piccolo on the head, knocking him out. Once again, the Saiyan demonstrates his might, clearly injuring Piccolo, torturing Krillin, and bullying Gohan. In a gamble, Krillin decided to throw a Destructo Disc at Nappa, which he barely dodged after Vegeta urged him to, getting out with just a scar on his left cheek.
This was enough to make Nappa stop making Krillin suffer, and just want to kill him. However, before Nappa can deliver the finishing blow, Piccolo launches a Ki Blast at him just in time, which makes Vegeta laugh at Nappa's incompetence on destroying these fighters. Nappa almost kills Piccolo, but decides to bully Gohan again, smacking him around, then deciding to take his time to relax by sitting on him while Gohan is laying face up. Nappa is eventually caught off guard for the first time during the fight when Gohan loses patience and kicks him in a rage, throwing him into a nearby rock formation. This only makes Nappa angrier. In the end, Nappa ultimately kills Piccolo when the Namekian uses his body to shield Gohan from a potentially fatal attack. Enraged by this, Gohan uses all his power in one last blast called the Masenko, an attack that Nappa parries almost easily, though he admits that it had made his arm numb.
"I gotta hand it to ya, pretty sneaky move there getting me all worked up. That's not gonna fly from here on out though. From here on out, i'm a machine!"
Just as Nappa is about to finish off the exhausted Gohan by stepping on him, Goku arrives, with the Nimbus carrying Gohan. Nappa claims Goku would not have a chance of beating him, and even after Vegeta reads his power level, Nappa attacks Goku, but Goku easily dodges his punch. Their fight carries on, Goku obviously dominating the battle. At Vegeta's insistence, Nappa eventually calms down and begins to attack with much better technique, but he is still hopelessly outmatched. Desperate, he fires his ultimate attack, which Goku effortlessly counters, stunning Nappa. When Vegeta loses patience with Nappa and orders him to stand down, Nappa decides to take the humiliation out on Gohan and Krillin, charging at them with the intention of finishing them off with his Break Cannon mouth blast. Goku had to use his Kaio-ken to stop him and attacks Nappa with the Kaio-ken Finish to his back, breaking it.
Defeated, Nappa is tossed at Vegeta's feet by Goku. Nappa begs for Vegeta to help him get up, and Vegeta grabs his hand, pretending to help him but then as a punishment for his failure, Nappa is quickly thrown in the air by the Saiyan Prince, as a Saiyan who cannot move is "useless", according to Vegeta. After he begs Vegeta for his life, Nappa is ultimately destroyed by Vegeta's Galaxy Breaker energy blast. Upon entering the Other World, he joins Raditz after being sent to Hell by King Yemma. Daizenshuu 7 states that he was in his 50's when he died.
Main articles: Androids Saga and Imperfect Cell Saga Goku's fight with Nappa is shown to be one of the times Dr. Gero has been tracking him. In the Funimation dub, Cell claims that Nappa's cells had also been used during his creation.
Majin Buu Saga
Main article: Kid Buu Saga Nappa makes an appearance in a flashback of when Vegeta and Goku first met.
Dragon Ball Super
"Future" Trunks Saga
Main article: "Future" Trunks Saga
When Goku and Krillin were sent into a forest to retrieve a special herb for Master Roshi, an illusion of Nappa and many other villains from the Z-Fighters' past show up to challenge the duo. Even though Nappa didn't kill Krillin, his appearance still terrified him, and Krillin ended up being surrounded by multiple illusions of Nappa. He tried to fight them by using the Solar Flare and Destructo Disc, but it didn't work. Krillin did see a specific energy from the bisected Nappa before it reformed, and Krillin made all of the illusions of Nappa freeze by conquering his fears. After beating one Nappa, they all disintegrated as Krillin had finally conquered his fear of the past.
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
Nappa escapes from Hell with the rest of the evil departed thanks to Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu's dimensional hole. One of his first acts upon resurrection is to destroy an entire city (like he had done when he first landed on Earth in Dragon Ball Z). Nappa suddenly encounters Vegeta, to which the latter cites him as "still the brainless idiot who knows only how to destroy." Although Vegeta gives him a chance to escape while threatening to kill him again, Nappa furiously lunges at Vegeta in an attempt to avenge his own death only for Vegeta to easily kill Nappa once more with an Energy Wave. He is later seen in Hell alongside General Blue, Staff Officer Black, and Major Metallitron approaching Piccolo, who presumably defeats them.
Shadow Dragon Saga
Bardock - The Father of Goku
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku In this movie, Nappa is fairly young and appears around his mid-30s, possessing hair as opposed to his well-known baldness that he is famously known for in the series. He is watching a young Vegeta training and fighting against a few Saibamen that Vegeta effortlessly defeats. After Vegeta's training, a guard is astonished about Vegeta's level of strength and wonders how Vegeta will turn out to be when he gets older but Nappa replies that it is unknown but advises the guard to stay on the prince's good side. As Vegeta exits out of the training room, Nappa gives Vegeta his armor and remarks the prince as the best but Vegeta tells him to quit bootlicking. Later, Vegeta tells Nappa that someday he will put an end to Frieza and his reign over the Saiyans, and Nappa replies that he would love for that to happen. After this conversation, Nappa is not seen again through out the rest of the movie.
Main article: Dragon Ball Super: Broly
Nappa is seen in another planet after having conquered it along with Prince Vegeta, a young Raditz and two other Saiyan survivors. One of the unnamed Saiyans receives the information that the planet Vegeta was destroyed by a meteor via his scouter, shocking the other Saiyan and Nappa. They rush to where Vegeta and Raditz are and Nappa asks about Vegeta's brother, to which the latter wonders if he got caught in the explosion, but at any rate, he does not care.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Dragon Ball SD
Main article: Dragon Ball SD
With Raditz and Vegeta, Nappa briefly appears in chapter 5 of Dragon Ball SD, at the start of the Emperor Pilaf Saga. He asks Vegeta if he caught a cold after Vegeta sneezed when, on Earth, Bulma mentioned her wish to marry a handsome prince.
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
"Eheh heh heh... The tables have turned."
— Great Ape Nappa after transforming in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
In Xenoverse 2, in an altered history of the Saiyan conflict, Great Ape Nappa and Great Vegeta manage to defeat Gohan and Krillin, allowing them to gang up on Goku, who is left to their mercy. In order to prevent the change in history, the Future Warrior from Age 852 is sent back in time to correct history. When they arrive they engage Nappa alongside the Z Fighters (including Yamcha), however are called off to help Goku who was being held up by Turles, who was working with the Time Breakers to disrupt history. This allows Nappa to kill Yamcha, Tien, and Piccolo restoring that part of the original timeline. After dealing with Turles, the Future Warrior returns with Goku just in time to save Krillin and Gohan. While Goku fights with Vegeta, the Future Warrior takes on Nappa. Eventually, Vegeta is overpowered and launches his Galick Gun, beginning the epic energy clash between it and Goku's Kaio-ken Kamehameha. Meanwhile, Nappa tries to finish off the Future Warrior with his Bomber DX, but the Warrior guards and survives the blast, then attacks Nappa with a Final Shine-like energy wave just as Goku overpowers Vegeta's Galick Gun with the 4x Kaio-ken Kamehameha. However both Nappa and Vegeta survive and Vegeta creates a Power Ball transforming both himself and Nappa into Great Apes. While Goku battles with Great Ape Vegeta, the Future Warrior focuses on defeating Great Ape Nappa. Eventually, after a hard fought battle, the Future Warrior manages to defeat and kill Great Ape Nappa, restoring his death in the timeline.
Dragon Ball Fusions
Main article: Dragon Ball Fusions In Dragon Ball Fusions, Nappa and Raditz end up in the Timespace Rift created by Tekka and Pinich's wish to Shenron. At some point after entering the rift, Nappa and Raditz encounter Goten and Trunks. After receiving Ziku from Bulma, it detects two powerful ki signatures which it mistakes for Goten and Trunks. However the ki signatures turn out to be Nappa and Raditz, who decide to play around with Tekka instead of killing them. They ask Tekka if they are a Power, Speed, or Technique type (which effects the type of standard Ki Blast technique Tekka uses). Nappa reveals himself to be a Power type, which is stronger than Technique types, while weaker to Speed Types. Nappa and Raditz continue to play around with Tekka until they choose a single type twice, resulting in Nappa and Raditz becoming bored with them. They are about to kill Tekka, when Goten and Trunks appear and save them. Trunks, Goten, and Tekka manage to drive off Nappa and Raditz. After Tekka's Team manages to recruit Kid Goku who had entered the Timespace Rift as well, Nappa and Raditz confront them. They reveal that they had managed to learn how to perform the Fusion Dance after mimicking Goten and Trunks' use of the technique during their early encounter. Nappa and Raditz then use the technique to fuse into Natz, forcing Goten and Trunks to fuse into Gotenks to help Tekka and Kid Goku defeat Natz, causing Nappa and Raditz to defuse.
Main article: Dragon Ball FighterZ
Nappa is turned into food by Android 21 and consumed though she finds the taste lacking due to his low power level compared to the other villains.
Nappa's fate is not shown though presumably he is eaten by 21 or killed by the Z Fighters before they teamed up with the Good 21, Android 18, and Android 17 after the death of Android 16.
- Manga and Anime
When first arriving on Earth, Nappa demonstrated his power by incinerating an entire city instantly. In his fight against the Z Fighters during the Vegeta Saga, Nappa is easily able to overpower their various tactics. He emerged unfazed by Krillin's Scattering Bullet, resist Chiaotzu's Farewell, Mr. Tien, and even survive Tien's Spirit Tri-Beam, only damaging his armor (albeit Vegeta noted that it probably would have killed Nappa if he hadn't seen the attack coming). He was also able to easily repel Krillin and Piccolo's team attack while both using the Tri-Form and knock away Gohan's rage-induced Masenko which even Vegeta warned him to be careful of. Against Goku, while initially beaten around in a humiliating fashion, once calming down Nappa proved able to compete against the improved foe. Despite this, he still was unable to harm Goku. Ultimately, Vegeta told Nappa to stand down, convinced that Nappa couldn't defeat Goku. When Nappa decided to entertain himself by killing Krillin and Gohan, Goku unveiled his Kaio-ken, which let him beat Nappa with one attack.
- The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha
Nappa's power level is equal to his mainstream counterpart, but due to Yamcha's earlier training with Nail on Planet Namek, he was easily outmatched and killed by the Earthling (whose potential was unlocked by Grand Elder Guru and according to Vegeta, had a power level that was noted to be over 10,000).
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
- Video Games
Nappa's power level is 7,000 in Dragon Ball Z: Goku Hishōden, 4,500 in Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game, 4,000 According to the video games Dragon Ball Carddass, Dragon Ball Z: Kyōshū! Saiyan, Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu, and Dragon Ball Z: Scouter Battle Taikan Kamehameha - Ora to Omee to Scouter and 4,800 in a free-fight after his defeat.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Nappa when enchanted with dark magic is powerful enough to take on the Future Warrior, Piccolo, and Gohan though they were all tired from defeating the Saibamen, Tennenman, and Jinkouman. Nappa refuses to fall despite begin overpowered by the combined might of Gohan, Krillin and the Future Warrior, causing Future Trunks to call Nappa "one tough guy" and possessing the power of a Pure Saiyan. However the Future Warrior proves to be more than a match for Nappa and is ultimately defeated.
In the altered history of the Super 17 Saga, it is revealed that he had powered up in Otherworld, becoming the leader of the Neo Ginyu Force and is able to fight against the Future Warrior with the assistance of Recoome, Burter, Jeice, and Guldo. After Super Saiyan GT Trunks takes out Jeice and Guldo, Nappa still manages to put up a decent fight against Super Saiyan Trunks and the Future Warrior, with the aid of the Recoome and Burter. However, despite the odds being in Nappa's favor he was defeated by the Future Warrior and GT Trunks along with the rest of the Neo Ginyu Force. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, Nappa can unlock his Super Saiyan form via Partner Customization, allowing him to transform into a Super Saiyan, increasing his power 50 times his base power level granting him even more power than his Great Ape form.
Nappa's power level in Bardock: The Father of Goku is 3,200 according to Carddass.
In the story mode of FighterZ, Nappa is strong enough to be of use to Frieza (whom wouldn't hesitate to kill off anyone he deemed weak), and was debilitated like everyone else. Nappa proudly proves his power/worth to the other fighters (some of whom seem to doubt his abilities), but he was shown to fear Android 21 and her actions throughout the game. Although, he is easily the weakest Saiyan character compared to Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks, and Gotenks, all of whom possessing the basic Super Saiyan form and has reached even greater heights.
- Flight – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Ki Blast - The most basic form of energy attack.
- Power Up - A technique used to amplify one's ki.
- Volcano Explosion - Nappa rises his right hand with his index and middle fingers up, releasing a white Exploding Wave.
- Blazing Storm - The user raises his right hand with his index and middle fingers up. Then, he brings his right arm to his left side and finally, he moves his arm back to the right and unleashes a huge Exploding Wave.
- DUAL Giant Storm - A two person team attack version of Giant Storm that appears as Nappa's Dual Ultimate Attack skill in Xenoverse 2. After the 1.09.00 Update, it can be added to his custom skillset via Partner Customization for no cost. He can also teach it to the Future Warrior allowing them attack together with Giant Storm as a team after both successfully complete the an initial start up attack and a secondary assist follow up attack. The power of this skill increases as Nappa's Partner Gauge level increases.
- Arm Break – Nappa powers up and then charges at the opponent to deliver a powerful punch to their arm, capable of severing it, causing excruciating pain and major damage to the opponent.
- Bomber DX – Nappa holds his hand out and charges a fierce pulsating white energy sphere in his hand. When it is ready, he reels back and tosses a large, pure white energy sphere at the opponent that creates an enormous explosion on contact.
- Eye Lasers – The user shoots laser-like beams from both eyes.
- Finger Beam – The user holds out their index finger and releases an energy beam from their fingertip.
- Break Cannon – Nappa powers up and opens his mouth to charge a energy sphere. Then, he fires the energy sphere in the form of an energy wave at the opponent, inflicting a huge amount of damage. Nappa notes it as his ultimate technique.
- Breakstorm – It consists of him unleashing a powerful barrage of punches and kicks at an extremely fast rate, before ending with a powerful kick to the face, launching the opponent backwards and inflicting a large amount of damage.
- Giant Attack – Nappa kicks the opponent up in the air, and then punches them and kicks them down again. Used in the Budokai series.
- Megaton Throw – Nappa grabs the opponent's head, then he jumps up in the air while swinging them over his head, and when he gets high enough up in the air, he rushes to the ground and violently smashes the opponent's head to the floor. Used in the Budokai series. Nappa uses a similar one-handed throw in Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu, picking up the opponent by his skull to slam them at the nearest wall.
- Earthquake Slam – Nappa leaps into the air and kicks the opponent into the ground, causing a huge shockwave. Used in Taiketsu.
- Giant Buster – A rush attack used by Nappa in Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden. Nappa grabs the opponent and uppercuts them into the air. Then, he teleports and piledrives them into the ground. Finally, he foot stomps them in the stomach.
- Power Tackle - Nappa's signature attack in the Raging Blast Series.
- Hyper Guard – Nappa creates an almost impenetrable defense. Used in Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z.
- Saiyan Soul – One of Nappa's Blast 1 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa uses his hidden Saiyan energy to power up his melee and Blast 2 attacks.
- Pump Up – One of Nappa's Blast 1 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa pumps up his power, enhancing all his stats.
- Super Explosive Wave – One of Great Ape Nappa's Blast 2 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa releases all his energy to create a huge energy field around him, with anything caught in the path destroyed.
- Gigant Rock Throw – One of Great Ape Nappa's Blast 2 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa picks up a large rock, then hurls it at high speed at the opponent.
- Chou Makouhou – Great Ape Nappa's Ultimate Blast in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa fires an enormous and incredibly destructive purple energy wave at his opponent, inflicting a huge amount of damage.
- Explosive Wave – One of Great Ape Nappa's Blast 1 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa creates a weak burst of energy, to protect him from incoming attacks, such as ki blasts (but not Blast 2 attacks) and rush attacks.
- Energy Charge - A ki charging technique used by Nappa in the Xenoverse series.
- Full Power Charge - A ki charging technique that charges even faster than Energy Charge used by Nappa in the Xenoverse series. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Howl – One of Great Ape Nappa's Blast 1 in the Budokai Tenkaichi series. Nappa roars loudly, which puts him to MAX power mode, along with adding a melee and Blast 2 damage boost. In the Xenoverse series, it acts as a defensive explosive wave used by Great Ape Nappa as his Evasive Skill.
- Super Guard - Nappa creates an energy shield to protect himself which appears as a Super Skill in series Xenoverse series.
- Break Strike - A common defensive explosive wave technique in the Xenoverse series that sends the opponent flying straight up. One of Nappa's Evasive Skills in the Xenoverse series.
- Fighting Pose A – Nappa takes this pose as part of the Neo Ginyu Force in the GT Saga (First Half) DLC story of Xenoverse. It is also one of Nappa's Super Skills in his fourth DLC Skillset.
- Together We Are The... Neo Ginyu Force! - Nappa joins the Neo Ginyu Force in their signature team pose, by performing Ginyu's portion of the pose.
- Milky Cannon – One of GT Nappa's Super Skills in Xenoverse which appears in his fourth DLC Skillset as part of the GT Pack 1 DLC.
- Genocide Shell - One of Nappa's Super Skills in the Xenoverse series where he fires 4 unmoving energy spheres forward which explode if they come in contact with an opponent.
- Murder Grenade - An Energy Sphere technique where Nappa throws sphere of energy which creates a pillar of energy after hitting the ground or an opponent. One of Nappa's Super Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Full Power Energy Wave - Common yet powerful quick firing Energy Wave technique used by Nappa as one of his Ultimate Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Full Power Energy Blast Volley - A common energy barrage technique which appears as an Ultimate Skill in the Xenoverse series. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 15 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Meteor Burst - A powerful energy wave technique originally used by the Saiyan Army deserter Turles. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 15 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Double Sunday - A double energy wave fired from both hands originally used by his Saiyan comrade Raditz. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Shining Friday - A close range energy sphere attack capable of destroying ki blasts and damaging nearby opponents originally used by Raditz. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Super Afterimage - An advanced version of the afterimage technique which allows the user to create an afterimage as they move around which appears as a Super Skill in Xenoverse 2. After the 1.09.00 Update, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Charged Ki Wave - A stamina charging Super Skill in Xenoverse 2 which uses ki to quickly regain stamina. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Rise to Action - A common technique were the user smacks their cheeks to restore Stamina. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Spread Shot Retreat - An evasive Energy Barrage fired while moving backwards. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, it can be added to his custom skillset after it has been purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Brainwash Attack - A mind control technique used by Dark Great Ape Nappa when fought in the first Expert Mission Tutorial in Xenoverse 2.
- Gigantic Ki Blast - A massive Energy Sphere technique used by Dark Great Ape Nappa in Expert Missions in Xenoverse 2.
- Mimicry - Like most Saiyans, Nappa is capable of learning techniques after seeing them used at least once. He uses Mimicry in the main story of Dragon Ball Fusions to learn the Fusion Dance after witnessing Goten and Trunks use the technique to fuse into Gotenks.
- Fusion - Nappa can use several different types of Fusion in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Fusion Dance - Learned via mimicking Goten and Trunks, Nappa can perform the Fusion Dance with Raditz to fuse into Natz. Used in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- EX-Fusion - By wearing a Metamo-Ring and performing the Fusion Dance with Raditz, Nappa and Raditz can fuse into Rappa. Used in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Five-Way Fusion - A five person fusion dance technique invented by the Ginyu Force who teach it to Tekka's Team in Dragon Ball Fusions. Nappa can utilize this technique after joining Tekka's Team which allows him to fuse with any four members of Tekka's Team.
- Fusion Dance - Learned via mimicking Goten and Trunks, Nappa can perform the Fusion Dance with Raditz to fuse into Natz. Used in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Nappa's Rampage - Nappa's special attack in Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden.
- Great Ape
Main article: Great Ape
"It was fun, boys... but it's time to bring out the big guns!"
Nappa does not actually become a Great Ape in the manga or anime; however, he has a tail, which indicates that he is able to transform. Nappa makes an appearance as a Great Ape in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. He is able to speak and control himself normally, like Vegeta and King Vegeta. His bald head translates into something of a receding hairline/larger forehead in Great Ape form.
- Super Saiyan
Main article: Super Saiyan
"We have a legend that a Super Saiyan will appear once every thousand years. We don't even know how much power a Super Saiyan would be packing, but they'd be the universe's strongest being for sure! Heh heh heh... If Vegeta and I keep training, one of use might be able to make that leap. Just imagine how awesome I'd look as a Super Saiyan..."
— Nappa's thoughts on the form in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 after the 1.09.00 Update, Nappa can be customized to have the Super Saiyan transformation in his custom skillset after the Awoken Skill has been purchased for 15 TP Medals in Partner Customization (it is located in Nappa's Awoken Skill slot). In this form, Nappa's eyes become green as a characteristic of the form and his eyebrows and goatee becomes golden. He also gains a golden Super Saiyan aura. Before the update while serving as the Future Warrior's Instructor, Nappa alluded to his eventual acquisition of the form in Xenoverse 2 when he mentions the Super Saiyan legend and states he or Vegeta might be able to make the leap to Super Saiyan if they continue to train and thinks about how awesome he would look as a Super Saiyan. Interestingly if Nappa's Toupee Special Costume is worn when he transforms his Toupee is removed while utilizing his Super Saiyan form though returns when he reverts to base form (similar to certain accessories worn by the Future Warrior disappear when they use Super Saiyan 3).
However in Dragon Ball FighterZ, it is noted that he has yet to achieve the form which he is very sensitive about due to Super Saiyans being more commonplace (which Cell refers to as a Super Saiyan Bargain Sale in a Special Event conversation with Nappa) when he is revived along with several other villains by Android 21.
- Super Saiyan 3
Main article: Super Saiyan 3
As a Super Saiyan 3, Nappa's goatee grows and becomes a spiky beard and his eyebrows vanish as a characteristic of the form. Nappa attains the Super Saiyan 3 transformation in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced in the second mission of the original series (SDBH2).
Main article: Natz
The EX-Fusion of Raditz and Nappa that first appeared in Dragon Ball Fusions. Rappa heavily resembles Nappa, though with Raditz's long hair and wears a Metamo-Ring on his left arm. Due to EX-Fusions being weaker than fusions create by Metamoran Fusion, Rappa is weaker than Natz in terms of power, however he has the advantage of lacking a time limit, as he can remain fused as long as he wears his Metamo-Ring and can defuse at will by removing it.
Appearences in other media
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z: Kyōshū! Saiyan
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Son Goku Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Goku Hishōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Kakusei-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Taiketsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Sagas
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle Taikan Kamehameha - Omee to Fusion
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle Taikan Kamehameha 2 - Ossu Omee Gokū Tenkaichi Budōkai
- Dragon Ball Z: Scouter Battle Taikan Kamehameha - Ora to Omee to Scouter
- Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
- Dragon Ball Online
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Dragon Ball Legends
- Japanese: Shōzō Iizuka (DBZ and Heroes), Kiyoyuki Yanada (DBGT), Tetsu Inada (DB Kai and Broly)
- Latin American Spanish dub: José Luis Castañeda (DBZ, DBGT, DBS Broly), Héctor Reynoso (DBZ Kai), Gustavo Ciardullo (DBS Broly) (Argentine redub)
- Spanish dub: Angel Corpa (DBZ), Rafa Cuevas (DBZ ep 104; TV Special 1), Jorge García Tomé (GT)
- German dub: Gerald Paradies
- Hebrew dub: Micha Morim
- Italian dub: Riccardo Lombardo
- Portuguese dub: Ricardo Spínola
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Guilherme Lopes, Alexandre Marconatto (DBGT)
- Croatian dub: Kruno Belko
- Catalan dub: Amadeu Aguado
- Thai dub: Ittipol Mameeked
- Valencian dub: Salomo Sanjuan
- French dub: Georges Atlas, Eric Peter
- Serbian dub: Nenad Nenadovic (Old Serbian dub), Sinisa Maksimovic (New Serbian dub)
- Greek dub: Giannis Papaioannou, Manos Venieris
- Tagalog dub: Montreal Repuyan
- Galician dub: Xoán Diéguez (DBZ), Matias Brea (DBZ Kai)
- Basque dub: Ramón Fernández de Castro (DBZ), Joseba Etxebarria (DBZ Kai)
- Vietnamese dub: Gia Trí
- Dragon Ball Z
- Nappa and Vegeta vs. Yetti (anime only)
- Nappa, Vegeta, and Saibamen vs. Krillin
- Nappa vs. Piccolo
- Nappa vs. Chiaotzu, Tien Shinhan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Gohan
- Nappa vs. Tien Shinhan
- Nappa vs. Piccolo and Krillin
- Nappa vs. Earth's Military (anime only)
- Nappa vs. Piccolo, Gohan and Krillin
- Nappa vs. Goku
- Dragon Ball Super
- Nappa (illusion), Tambourine (illusion), King Piccolo (illusion), Vegeta (illusion), Ginyu (illusion), Burter (illusion), Jeice (illusion), Recoome (illusion), Guldo (illusion), Frieza (Final Form) (illusion), Cell (Perfect Form) (illusion), Super Buu (illusion), Dabura (illusion), Raditz (illusion), Bulma (illusion), and Super Shenron (illusion) vs. Goku (Base/Super Saiyan/Super Saiyan 3/Super Saiyan Blue) and Krillin (anime only)
- Dragon Ball GT
- Nappa vs. Vegeta
- Nappa, General Blue, Staff Officer Black, and Major Metallitron vs. Piccolo (unseen)
List of characters killed by Nappa
- Yetti - Killed after a brief struggle with Nappa. He is vaporized by a Bomber DX.
- Earthlings - Thousands of civilians are killed after Nappa and Vegeta's arrival to Earth, when Nappa destroys a large portion of East City with a Volcano Explosion. Before the battle with the Z-Fighters, and during the 3 hour wait, Nappa also kills several reporters who were reporting the fight. During his brief return in Dragon Ball GT, Nappa kills thousands of humans with Volcano Explosion as he blows up a city. They were all later revived with the Dragon Balls.
- Earth's Military - A large fleet of submarines and fighter jets are destroyed by Nappa during the 3 hour wait, attempting to assault the Saiyan. They were later revived with the Dragon Balls.
- Piccolo - Killed by Nappa with a Bomber DX, however the attack was intented for Gohan, and Piccolo stepped in front of the attack to protect him. He was later revived with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
- Chiaotzu: Self-destructed in an unsuccessful attempt to destroy Nappa. Was later revived with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
- Tien Shinhan: Used up all his energy in a Tri-Beam, which he shot at Nappa. Nappa survived, but Tien died from using up all his energy. Was later revived with the Namekian Dragon Balls.
- His name is a pun on a type of Chinese cabbage.
- Alternately colored versions of Nappa and Vegeta actually appear earlier in a brief cameo appearance in "Reunions" alongside Raditz.
- Nappa's scouter is the only scouter, outside of filler, not known to be destroyed: he removed it before his fight at Vegeta's advice and was not seen picking it back up prior to his death.
- In the anime, Nappa destroys another city while waiting for Goku to arrive. During this, he is suddenly wearing his scouter again, despite taking it off hours earlier. This is because the parts of the footage from the scene was reused from when the first city was destroyed.
- Nappa's Scouter model appears as an accessory in Dragon Ball Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 under the name Scouter (Blue).
- Like Vegeta and Kid Goku after the Red Ribbon Army saga yet before it was removed by Kami, Nappa is insusceptible to the pain a typical Saiyan experiences when having their tail mistreated.
- In Xenoverse 2, while training the Future Warrior he will mention that Raditz always skipped Tail training day and criticizes Raditz's decision to not train his tail in order to overcome his weakness, like Nappa and Vegeta did.
- In the beginnings of Dragon Ball Z, Nappa appeared with a different colored armor from the one he appeared with when he came to Earth. This is because Toei didn’t know how to color Nappa at the time they were doing the Dragon Ball Z anime as the corresponding manga chapters with him weren’t in color yet. Unlike Vegeta, Nappa's color scheme was not corrected in his pre-Earth appearances in Dragon Ball Kai. It is important to note however that Nappa's colors were not changed as drastically upon landing on Earth compared to Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z, only changing his armor colors to an overall lighter shade.
- The only Z Fighter Nappa technically kills is Piccolo; Yamcha is killed by a Saibaman, Chiaotzu destroyed himself in a sacrificial explosion, and Tien used every ounce of his energy in an attack, draining him of his life. When meeting Goku, however, he does admit that Chiaotzu was not actually killed by him due to his aforementioned self-destruction.
- Nappa is the very first villain injured by Goku's Kaio-ken.
- Nappa is the second villain to be killed by Vegeta, with the first being the Saibaman that failed to defeat Tien Shinhan. He is also the first villain to be killed by Vegeta after being defeated by Goku (as Vegeta would later kill Recoome and Burter after they were defeated by Goku in the Captain Ginyu Saga).
- As a result, Nappa has a grudge against his backstabbing former comrade which is shown when he is revived in Dragon Ball GT and various video games such as Dragon Ball FighterZ.
- The Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game card "Nappa Restored" implies that Nappa was resurrected by the wish on the Dragon Balls to revive those killed by Frieza's men, receiving Saiyan Power in the process. This is somewhat technically true since at the time of the Saiyan Saga, Vegeta was still under Frieza's command, not having betrayed him until the Namek Saga.
- In Budokai Tenkaichi 3, in the versus mode screen, Nappa thinks about what he would look like as a Super Saiyan and says "Think if I went Super Saiyan, my goatee would grow?".
- In Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Nappa remains bald upon transforming into his Super Saiyan 3 form and humorously his goatee does indeed grow out, ironically conforming to Nappa's musings from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (it is possible that the developers may have designed his SSJ3 form in such a manner as a reference/homage to his humorous comment about the nature of his Super Saiyan form from BT3).
- Presumably, one possible explanation why Nappa remains bald as an SSJ3, yet Bald Saiyans in Xenoverse 2 do not is due to Nappa's baldness apparently being the result of aging which may prevent him from growing hair as an SSJ3, while bald Saiyans in Xenoverse 2 may simply have shaved heads.
- In Xenoverse 2, it is finally revealed that his goatee does not grow when he transforms into his standard Super Saiyan form however it does turn golden blonde along with his eyebrows, while his head remains bald like all bald Super Saiyans do in Xenoverse series.
- In Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Nappa remains bald upon transforming into his Super Saiyan 3 form and humorously his goatee does indeed grow out, ironically conforming to Nappa's musings from Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (it is possible that the developers may have designed his SSJ3 form in such a manner as a reference/homage to his humorous comment about the nature of his Super Saiyan form from BT3).
- As of Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Nappa and Raditz are the only Saiyans known to have jumped past both the first two levels of Super Saiyan and straight to Super Saiyan 3.
- However he gains his Super Saiyan form in Xenoverse 2 though lacks his Super Saiyan 3 form from Super Dragon Ball Heroes.
- In Burst Limit, when Nappa is fighting against Vegeta in multiple rounds and Vegeta wins two, Nappa will say "That's Vegeta for ya!"
- In Raging Blast, Nappa has special dialogue with the Ginyu Force, despite never actually meeting them in the series (however like its possible that he may have met them previously while working under Frieza as Vegeta is known to have met Guldo before their encounter on Namek).
- Ironically, Nappa becomes leader of the Neo Ginyu Force in Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- In Dragon Ball FighterZ, it is obvious that Nappa had met the Ginyu Force previously as he notes it is odd (for them) not to pose in the Enemy Warrior Arc when he and Frieza encounter the Ginyu Force who are being controlled by Android 21's artificial souls. Nappa is shown to find their posing annoying and even notes to Frieza that he thinks they were better off before after defeating the Ginyu Force restores their original personalities. Nappa will also note his dislike for their posing if teamed with them after wining a battle telling them they have to do something about it. Ironically he has no problem with posing as a member of the Neo Ginyu Force in Xenoverse.
- The human character Rock heavily resembles Nappa.
- In the French dub, Nappa states that the Saiyans exist for over 1.000.000 years.
- ↑ Toriyama Saiyan interview part 3.
- ↑ Daizenshuu 6, 1995
- ↑ Interview with Nagamine during the Dragon Ball Super: Broly segment of Dragon Ball Heroes 8th anniversary event
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super: Broly, 2018
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Bardock - The Father of Goku, 1990
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 5, "Gohan's Rage"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 11, "Terror on Arlia"
- ↑ Dragon Ball GT episode 43, "The Resurrection of Cell and Frieza"
- ↑ Weekly Shōnen Jump #31, 1989
- ↑ http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/db-full-color-saiyan-arc-02/
- ↑ Dragon Ball Xenoverse, 2015
- ↑ Dragon Ball Xenoverse, GT Pack 1 DLC
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 20, " Time's Up!!"
- ↑ http://www.cda.pl/video/2557614f