This article is about the
Beginning as an inbetweener at Seigasha, Naoki Tate was quickly promoted to a key animator role where he worked under Masahiro Shimanuki for Dragon Ball Z, and onward into GT. Despite producing reasonably nice work under the Dragon Ball brand, it wasn't until his work on One Piece that he began to develop his trademark style, and eventually morph into one of Toei's most prolific animators. Heavily inspired by the work of Sushio and Hiroyuki Imaishi on Mamoru Hosoda's One Piece Movie 6, Tate developed a loose and somewhat abstract form of animation; expressions and poses are wildly exaggerated and contorted to hugely emphasize the intended emotion or movement. The results are eye-catching, but have caused controversy among the uninitiated or those fonder of more conservative styles. Regardless, his reputation within the animation industry has landed him a number of high-profile episodes on Dragon Ball Super.
Tate's character designs are often much less daring than what's found within his action animation, and bear more resemblance to his work during Dragon Ball Z. Keep an eye out for thick, arched eyebrows, upturned noses, and rounded ears and faces. Keep in mind that, due to Super's rushed production and the number of cuts Tate does per episode, the overall polish often varies from episode to episode—his work may seem looser or more polished depending on the episode's circumstances.
Dragon Ball Super
- God of Destruction Beerus Saga
- 5: Showdown on King Kai's World! Goku vs. Beerus the Destroyer!
- 11: Let's Keep Going, Lord Beerus! The Battle of Gods!
- Golden Frieza Saga
- 18: I'm Here, Too! Training Commences on Beerus' World
- 26: A Chance Appears in a Tight Spot! Launch a Counteroffensive, Goku!
- Universe 6 Saga
- 32: The Matches Begin! We're All Off to the Planet with No Name!
- 38: The 6th Universe's Mightiest Warrior! Engage the Assassin Hit!
- "Future" Trunks Saga
- 47: SOS from the Future: A Dark New Enemy Appears!
- 56: Rematch with Goku Black! Enter Super Saiyan Rosé
- 65: Final Judgement? The Ultimate Power of an Absolute God
- 72: Will He Strike Back? The Unseen Killing Technique!
- Universe Survival Saga
- 79: The 9th Universe's Kicking Basil vs. The 7th Universe's Majin Buu!!
- 86: First Time Exchanging Blows! Android 17 vs. Goku!!
- 95: Most Heinous! Most Evil! Frieza's Rampage!
- 103: Gohan, Get Ruthless! Showdown with the 10th Universe!
- 110: Son Goku Wakes! New Level of the Awakened!!
- 118: Accelerated Tragedy Vanishing Universes...
- 123: Body and Soul, Full Power Release! Goku and Vegeta!!
- 127: The Approaching Wall! The Final Barrier of Hope!!
- 130: The Greatest Showdown of All Time! The Ultimate Survival Battle!!
- AnimeAjay: Dragon Ball Super Animation Supervisors - Ep. 2 - Naoki Tate on YouTube.
- An example of Naoki Tate's animation (Episode 103) on YouTube.