Mortal Level (人間 レベル, Ningen Reberu, lit. "mortal level") is the score that Zeno and Future Zeno use to rank the twelve universes. It is a measuring of the average development, or "quality", of the mortals existing in a universe. The Mortal Level of a universe is directly related to the effectiveness of the jobs of its Supreme Kais and Gods of Destruction (allowing and promoting the creation and development of adequate civilizations and elimination of inadequate ones).
A universe with higher Mortal Level does not necessarily possess stronger fighters than a universe with a lower Mortal Level, since strength represents only one of many measured mortal aspects, with factors like kindness being taken into consideration. Universe 7, despite its many powerful warriors, has a notably low Mortal Level. This is due to the poor management of Beerus and Shin, who allowed the number of planets with advanced civilizations in Universe 7 to drop to 28, significantly weakening its standing.
The Mortal Level was introduced in Dragon Ball Super as a means used to rank the twelve universes from lowest to highest. All the universes with Mortal Level lower than 7 were planned to be erased, but after the suggestion of Goku to perform the Tournament of Power, they were given a chance to avoid erasure by winning. Universes with Mortal Level of 7 or higher would be exempt from entering the tournament. Universe 9 is stated to have the lowest Mortal Level, and Universe 1 is stated by the Grand Priest as having the highest.
From higher to lower in their Mortal Level, the Universes are ranked as:
- Mortal Level of 7 or higher (Exempt from erasure)
- Mortal Level lower than 7 (Planned for erasure)
- Rank #5: Universe 11
- Rank #6: Universe 2
- Rank #7: Universe 3
- Rank #8: Universe 10
- Rank #9: Universe 4
- Rank #10: Universe 7 (Mortal Level: 3.18) (Manga)
- Rank #10: Universe 6 (Anime)
- Rank #11: Universe 7 (Mortal Level: 3.18)
- Rank #11: Universe 6 (Manga)
- Rank #12: Universe 9 (Mortal Level: 1.86)
- Twin universes are ranked similarly in Mortal Level.
- The 4 Universes with the highest Mortal Levels are 1 and 12, and 5 and 8.
- The 4 Universes with intermediate Mortal Levels are 2 and 11, and 3 and 10.
- The 4 Universes with the lowest Mortal Levels are 9 and 4, and 6 and 7 (but not in that order).