Manipulation Sorcery (操りの魔術 Ayatsuri no Majutsu) is a spell that Babidi can cast over any being in an effort to take control of their mind and transform them into a darker and more powerful version of themself.
An entity who is taken under Babidi's mind control will have all of their evil feelings amplified, causing them to unleash all of the target's hidden power and focus it beyond their natural limits. Once the process is complete, the target undergoes some minor changes in their appearance. Their veins around the body bulge out, a black shadow trim around the eyes and over the eyelids dark lines form, and the Demon Mark (a black styled "M") appears on the target's forehead (uniquely on the chest for Yakon). When used by Mechikabura and Towa the only change in the target is that their eyes turn red.
Someone taken under Babidi's mind control also become nearly unkillable and zombie-like, feeling little to no pain from injuries and are relatively unfazed by what would normally be fatal injuries. Despite Spopovitch having his neck snapped and spun around, he quickly returned to his feet and casually shifted his neck back into place.
This spell is only known to work successfully on targets with evil in their hearts. The attack seems to work on anyone with a single evil characteristic. Even those who are relatively neutral, such as (possibly) Spopovich, are vulnerable. Essentially, anyone who can be destroyed by the Devilmite Beam can be enslaved by the Babidi's sorcery. To which, only people void of any evil tendencies and are ultimately pure good can resist this spell's power thus anyone capable of riding a Flying Nimbus and immune to the Devilmite Beam such as Goku, Gohan, or Goten would be capable of resisting it. However formerly evil individuals such as Vegeta and Piccolo would be vulnerable. In addition, those who are technically considered pure of heart yet commit evil acts are no less susceptible to falling victim to the ability, which is best demonstrated with Goku Black falling to the ability in World Mission despite retaining his purity of heart.
While normally the targets of this power will then usually become loyal to the one who cast the spell, it must be noted that there are times where the spell does not work 100% of the time, even with one evil characteristic, such as on Majin Buu. Notably, despite Vegeta being completely affected by this spell, he ends up being extremely difficult for Babidi to control, even after he casts the spell on Vegeta, and it is implied that he "let" Babidi cast the spell on him just to amplify his power and rival Goku. Thus, it is implied that formerly evil individuals like Vegeta could resist it if their will is strong enough. This is supported by the fact that Majin Vegeta willingly opposed Babidi, and despite the restoration of some of his evil tendencies, Majin Vegeta ultimately chose to sacrifice himself to destroy Majin Buu, all of which imply that Vegeta could have resisted being turned into Majin Vegeta, as even after he was transformed he retained his love for his family and fierce Saiyan pride. Additionally, while Dabura was loyal to Babidi, he retained some free will as he opposed Majin Buu upon recognizing how dangerous Buu was and was too powerful for Babidi to control, though this was mainly due to Dabura realizing Buu was a threat to his Master Babidi who failed to realize it and coldly allowed Buu to kill Dabura having no further use for him, failing to understand loyal Dabura had foreseen the possibility of Buu eventually turning on Babidi. On a related note, Future Broly fully broke free of Babidi's control over him in one scenario of Shin Budokai: Another Road due to his intense hatred of Kakarot.
The only known way for the spell to wear off on its victim is if the caster is killed. This is implied in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 where Frieza and Cell were placed under Babidi's spell after being revived, yet after Buu killed the latter, they retained their independence with no memory of being under control by Babidi.
- Mind Break: An alternate variant of the spell used by people under Babidi's control. In the spin-off manga Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, Prince of Destruction Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta uses it as a Final Impact-like beam in order to mind control Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta. Super Saiyan 4 Vegeta does not gain the Demon mark on his forehead once controlled (like Piccolo, Future Cooler, and Future Broly in video games), but his pupils and irises vanish and he begins to attack his summoner Kagyu. In Dragon Ball Heroes and World Mission, the user takes over the mind of a member of the enemy team and causes them to attack one of their teammates the success of which is determined by a unique Mind Break version of Charge Impact. After the mind controlled enemy attacks or there are no teammates to attack, the Mind Break user creates a large energy sphere which they launch at the mind controlled enemy and the teammate they attacked. In World Mission, it is named Mind Control in the English localization and is a type of CAA Special Ability with several variants that differ only in name and additional effects. All variants utilize Babidi as part of the attack's imagery even when it is performed by other characters such as Bibidi.
- Chaotic Mind Control - A variation of Mind Control used by Bibidi in World Mission. When a Supporter from R2 (Round 2) onward, enter Mind Control Mode after his team's Attack Phase. Successfully perform card action to control 1 enemy & attack their ally. Additionally, permanently randomize controlled enemy CI (Charge Impact) speed only once per battle.
- Destructive Mind Control - A variation of Mind Control used by Babidi in World Mission. When a Supporter from R2 onward, enter Mind Control Mode after his team's Attack Phase. Successfully perform card action to control 1 enemy & attack their ally. Additionally, -2 to enemy team Hero Energy only once per battle.
- Horrific Mind Control - A variation of Mind Control from World Mission. When a Supporter from R2 onward, enter Mind Control Mode after his team's Attack Phase. Successfully perform card action to control 1 enemy & attack their ally. Additionally, -50% PWR LV to controlled enemy only once per battle.
- Malicious Mind Control - A variation of Mind Control from World Mission. When a Supporter from R2 onward, enter Mind Control Mode after his team's Attack Phase. Successfully perform card action to control 1 enemy & attack their ally. Additionally, permanent -1500 GRD to controlled enemy only once per battle.
- Valiant Mind Control - When a Supporter from R2 onward, enter Mind Control Mode after his team's Attack Phase. Successfully perform card action to control 1 enemy & attack their ally. Additionally, permanent -1500 PWR to controlled enemy only once per battle.
- Majin Mark Hero Avatar Transformation - In World Mission, game world Babidi can use Manipulation Sorcery to tap into a SDBH player's latent power to allow them to use game world abilities in the real world by taking on a corrupted form of their Hero Avatar that features the Majin Mark. Babidi uses it on Kabra to allow him to use his Majin Hero Avatar and Kabra Deck 1 against the Dragon Ball Heroes team.
Video Game Appearances
This technique is used on Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, and Dragon Ball Heroes to become Majin Vegeta. While in his Majin state, Vegeta's attacks become stronger and his moves are replaced with more powerful ones. When Janemba's Majin Vegeta and later Super Janemba take control of Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, they turn him into Majin Vegeta.
In the story of Budokai 2, Babidi also revives Frieza and Cell and then proceeds to turn them both into possess them alongside Vegeta. In the story of Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road, Future Babidi uses the technique, first to take control of Piccolo and Vegeta (the latter of whom by that time actually was placed under mind control), and later to take control of Future Cooler and Future Broly.
In Dragon Ball Heroes, Super Garlic Jr., Turles, Lord Slug, Super Android 13, Super Hatchiyack, Bojack, Super Janemba, Baby Janemba and Super Saiyan 3 Broly under Babidi's spell are playable characters introduced in Jaaku Mission 5 and they are called Kings of Destruction while in this state. They themselves can use Mind Break to take control of any of opponents. Garlic Jr.'s Three Lords (Ginger, Nicky, and Sansho), the commanders of Slug's Demon Clan, Dr. Lychee and the Galaxy Soldiers also appear in Majin states in the game, and Hirudegarn appears as an unplayable King of Destruction. Later, Babidi, Bibidi, Yamu, Spopovich, Majin Vegeta (SSJ2 and SSJ3), Dabura, and Kid Buu received cards allowing them to use Mind Break.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Demigra uses Dark Magic-based Manipulation Sorcery to gain control over Piccolo, Frieza, Cell, Kid Buu, Vegeta, Gotenks, Gohan and Future Trunks. Unlike Babidi's Manipulation Sorcery, Dark Magic based Manipulation Sorcery can control a person even if they lack an evil heart as shown by Gohan, Gotenks, and Future Trunks. It also grants the user complete control over the victim's physical body though strong willed victims are still able to resist mentally.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Demon King Daccolo the EX-Fusion of Demon King Piccolo and Dabura inherits Dabura's Majin mark, though it is unclear if he is under Babidi's control and/or if it unlocks his dormant power. However it is implied that their combined evil hearts increase their power, indicating that Majin mark may unlock their potential due to Demon King Daccolo being more evil than either of his fusee.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Majin Vegeta appears as a playable character and in the Extra Pack 1 DLC, Dabura appears as a DLC character in his Majin Dabura incarnation. A version of Dabura free of Babidi's control (with no Majin Mark) appears as a non-playable enemy/boss in the Infinite History Saga (set after Towa manages to prevent his death).
Similar to Manipulation Sorcery, Towa's Supervillain spell can grant certain characters a powerful Supervillain transformation at the cost of shaving off some of their life, which causes a glowing Time Breaker infinity symbol to appear on their forehead, their eyes glow pink, gives them a dark black and white aura, and their body to change color to a shade of white. With the exception of Supervillain Mira, Towa gains some control over them as well. However the infinity symbol body color change only appears as part of the second stage Supervillain transformation, while the first stage acts as a power-up. Unlike Villainous Mode, the Supervillain spell is shown to affect deities and God-like Saiyans. Majin Dabura can utilize the Supervillain Mode power-up in Expert Mission 20: "Harbinger of Doom" showing that one under the control of Manipulation Sorcery can be further empowered with Supervillain Mode.
Additionally there is a special enemy NPC skill called Brainwash Attack which allows enemies in Expert Missions and Raid Quests to put allies and the player under mind control and grant them the Supervillain Mode power-up. The mind control can be dispelled by an ally hitting the victim before the are completely brainwashed, otherwise they will be fully taken over and the character will be trapped inside a mental realm known as the World of Mind Control. They can be freed either by defeating the brainwashed character, or if the player is able to defeat a Supervillain Mode empowered doppelgänger of themselves inside World of Mind Control.
"A mark that appears on the forehead of those with evil hearts when controlled by Babidi."
— Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 Majin Mark description
As part of the 1.07.00 Update, Future Warrior can obtain an accessory called the Majin Mark which can be worn by the Warrior if they are an Earthling or Saiyan. When the accessory is equipped a Majin Mark appears on their forehead just like those under Babidi's control, though like all accessories it is purely cosmetic. The Majin Mark accessory can be purchased from the TP Medal Shop after the 1.07.00 Update. In another update, Majin Vegeta's name was changed to Prince of Destruction Vegeta.
In Dragon Ball Legends, Babidi uses Dark Ki in a similar manner to his Manipulation Sorcery to brainwash and power up Raditz, Turles, Dr. Gero, Ribrianne and Kale, among many other fighters. This ability is later revealed to be given to him by the Mysterious Man, who continues using it after Babidi's death to empower many villainous fighters.
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, Mind Break is localized as Mind Control despite that it is referred to as Mind Break in the game's original audio (as the English localization leaves the game undubbed though the japanese voice cast says certain attack names in English such as Mind Break). Mind Control is a CAA Ability that allows the user to control a member of the enemy team, forcing them to attack their teammates. Additionally there are accessories that can be added to a custom card or equipped onto any card that is not a special type to give that card the Mind Control CAA Ability. It should be noted that there are different variations of Mind Control that have different additional effects on the mind controlled enemy. During Chapter 3, Sub Chapter 1: "Great Saiyaman 4", the game world Babidi is revealed to have used his Manipulation Sorcery to draw out the SDBH player Kabra's latent power allowing him to access game world abilities in the real world by transforming into a corrupted version of his Hero Type Majin Race Avatar which features a Majin Mark on his head tentacle. Unfortunately Kabra is somewhat resistant and gets confused due to his brainwashing contradicting his good nature. However he is unable to fully resist Babidi's control, though his defeat at the hands of the DBH Team manages to weaken Babidi's control to the point he reveals himself, noting he hadn't had this much trouble since Vegeta. Kabra is ultimately fully freed when Babidi is killed by Great Saiyaman 4 and with Babidi's death , Kabra reverts to his normal Earthling self and is convinced to join the DBH Team as a form of atonement due to his role the Organization of Babidi's second invasion of the real world as Hero Town is damaged during the fight.
- In the series , an antagonist named Ebemon is a cyborg alien Digimon who can take control of other Digimons' minds, leaving a distinctive crest on their foreheads, similar to Babidi's. However, it is purple instead of black, and the symbol itself is not a fancy capital "M", but some form of pattern, possibly a letter in a different language.