"The gates of hell has been opened, and I will bring forth a torrent of evil from this world."
Hell Fighter 17 is essentially identical to Android 17 from the Android Saga.
While being a Machine Mutant, he bears only the Red Ribbon insignia and lacks the Machine Mutant's cross-hairs in his eyes.
Hell Fighter 17 acts similar to Android 17 during his time as a delinquent in the Android Saga, and also made Android 17 act like this when possessing him. However, different from Android 17, Hell Fighter 17 displays respect and loyalty towards Dr. Gero, referring to him with the honorific "sama" in the original Japanese version (though this trait is ultimately dropped after he becomes Super 17, partly due to Dr. Myuu making him loyal to him alone).
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
A joint effort between Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu, Hell Fighter 17 was designed to locate his android counterpart Android 17 and fuse with him in order to become Super 17. He is the one who brainwashed and influenced the real Android 17 into attacking Trunks and his driver, and killing Krillin and the other people on the highway.
When he arrives on Earth, before fusing with Android 17, he fights Vegeta in his base form and is promptly beaten. Vegeta is initially unimpressed with Hell Fighter 17's power until Dr. Myuu and Gero reveal that 17 is using only half of his strength. Followed closely by the Dragon Team, the true Android 17 arrives and the two merge into Super 17.
Hell Fighter 17 is the one in control of Super 17 due to having brainwashed Android 17 and thus the merged android is still evil. However Android 18 and Goku try to break through to Android 17 during the battle, eventually allowing him to hold Super 17 back, Super 17 finished off by Goku, eliminating Hell Fighter 17.
In the Funimation dub, Dr. Myuu states that Hell Fighter 17 has equal power to the original Android 17. Hell Fighter 17 is shown to hold an advantage over a suppressed base Vegeta in battle, until he powers up, quickly overpowering 17. Myuu also notes that Hell Fighter 17 possesses half the power of Super 17, who in turn states that he is twice as strong as Android 17.
- Video games
When in Villainous Mode, Hell Fighter 17 is able to fight against the Future Warrior in their brief battle, once after the empowered Machine Mutant had easily defeated Trunks with a single attack.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Hikou – The ability to fly without the use of ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave. Used in Dragon Ball Heroes and the Xenoverse series.
- Possession - Hell Fighter 17 is able to control Android 17 from anywhere, even controlling him all the way from Hell. Hell Fighter 17 can also exert control over Android 18 through Android 17, though this ultimately fails thanks to Krillin's intervention, who also nearly freed 17 from Hell Fighter 17's control.
- Telepathy - Hell Fighter 17 can telepathically communicate with Android 17 in order to control him.
- Portal Opening – A technique used with Android 17 in order to open a portal between Earth and Hell.
- Merge - Hell Fighter 17 is able to initiate a merge with Android 17 when he has him under his control, fusing them into the perfected Android 17: Super 17.
- Absorption - While most media refer to Super 17 as a fusion, Heroes refers to Super 17 as being the result of Hell Fighter 17 absorbing Android 17 through this ability. He can then attain "Further Evolution" by absorbing other Red Ribbon Androids to get even more powerful. Additionally in Xenoverse 2, Hell Fighter 17 is forced to absorb Android 17 when he breaks free of his control in New Parallel Quest 144: "Super 17's Super Plan" as part of the Ultra Pack 2 DLC.
- Hell Breaker – His Super Attack in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Rage Saucer – A technique used by Villainous Mode 17 in Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
- Side Bridge – A technique used by Villainous Mode 17 in Xenoverse.
- Freedom Kick – A technique used by Villainous Mode 17 in Xenoverse.
- Energy Field – A technique used by Villainous Mode 17 in Xenoverse.
- Super Electric Strike – Villainous Mode 17's ultimate attack in Xenoverse.
Forms, Transformations and Fusions
Super 17 (Imperfect)
Main article: Super 17
One of the Android 17s appears as Super 17 without having fused with the other 17 in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi scenario "The True Ultimate Android", however he is said to be weaker without the other 17 and refers to himself as imperfect.
The result of Hell Fighter 17's Fusion with Android 17 is the powerful Machine Mutant/Android hybrid, Super 17. Super 17 is much taller than both 17's with an athletic build. His hairstyle and clothing are slightly altered to give him a somewhat more mature appearance. His voice remains the same as Android 17, however. Hell Fighter 17's personality is dominant in the fusion, thanks to his brainwashing effect on Android 17. This form is powerful enough to fight Super Saiyan 4 Goku at the height of its power and possesses the ability to absorb energy through a special barrier.
While most media refers to Super 17 as the fusion of the two 17s, in Dragon Ball Heroes, it is said that Hell Fighter 17 possess the "Further Evolution" ability, which he uses to absorb Android 17 to become Super 17, and can then absorb Android 16 (or Android 19) and Cell to go even further, gaining the "perfect physical body". Additionally, he can absorb Android 18 independantly to achieve an empowered form resembling a fusion of the two.
As part of the Ultra Pack 2 DLC in Xenoverse 2, in New Parallel Quest 144: "Super 17's Super Plan", Android 17 breaks free of Hell Fighter 17's control forcing him to seek to absorb Android 17 instead of fusing indicating that Hell Fighter 17 can resort to absorbing Android 17 to become Super 17.
Main article: Villainous Mode
Main article: Cell 17
"Android 17 and Perfect Cell's fusion. The ultimate machine mutant & the ultimate android combine as the ultimate man-made warrior!"
— Cell 17 profile in Dragon Ball Fusions
The EX-Fusion of Android 17 and Perfect Cell, Cell 17's bio implies that Hell Fighter 17 is the Android 17 who merged with Cell to create Cell 17.
Video Game Appearances
Hell Fighter 17 also appears in Xenoverse and Dragon Ball Fusions, though simply as Android 17 and not as his own unique in-game character.
As part of the Ultra Pack 2 DLC for Xenoverse 2, Hell Fighter 17 appears as an NPC supporter in New Parallel Quest 144: "Super 17's Super Plan" and is even identified as Hell Fighter 17 (though Android 17's character model is used).
- Japanese: Shigeru Nakahara
- Italian dub: Paolo Sesana
- Latin American Spanish dub: Genaro Vásquez
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Figueira Jr.
- Greek dub: Tzimis Apergis
- Dragon Ball GT
- Hell Fighter 17 vs. Vegeta
- This is Dr. Gero's second co-creation, the first one being Android 8 with Dr. Flappe, back in Dragon Ball (even though it was only stated, not actually shown).