"Broly's Great Ape Form. It has spiky golden hair like a Super Saiyan and boosts his power to a terrifying degree."
It is referred to just as Great Ape (大猿 Ōzaru, lit. "Great Monkey") in all media.
The Legendary Super Saiyan Great Ape form appears the same as a Golden Great Ape; however the color of its fur is emerald, like that of the Legendary Super Saiyan form after Broly broke his crown, and his head hair is spiked upwards.
Usage and Power
Broly is shown attaining this form by absorbing Blutz Waves emitted from a green orb that appears in Hell during the Reborn Broly Saga in Dragon Ball Heroes. He later transforms back into the form after escaping to the Sacred World of the Kai, before mastering the form and further transforming into a Super Saiyan 4. The JM7 trailer for the game instead depicts Black Smoke Shenron transforming him into a Great Ape off-screen, though he immediately masters the form and transforms straight into Super Saiyan 4.
When he is accidentally summoned to the Timespace Rift by Pilaf in Dragon Ball Fusions, Broly utilizes this form when Towa transforms him into it to get revenge on Time Patrol Trunks by collecting energy for Mira by having Great Ape Broly fight Kid Trunks and the rest of Tekka's Team. Broly faces Tekka and his team but is defeated, and then after trying to attack once more is easily sent flying by a ki blast from Beerus, which forces Towa & Mira to flee. Interestingly, Broly is shown to retain his reason in this form as he is capable of speech in Dragon Ball Fusions.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Great Ape Broly is a non-playable S-Rank giant boss character which puts his power on par with S-Rank Legendary Super Saiyan 3 Broly, Great Namekian King Piccolo, Baby Hirudegarn, Janemba (first form), and combined Pilaf Machine, though he is weaker than the G-Rank Beerus, Champa, Whis, Vados, Janembu, Ultra Pinich, and Golden Great Ape Ultra Pinich.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
- Even though the Great Ape Broly form is several times larger than even his Legendary Super Saiyan form, he is still seen wearing much of his attire, implying that the outfit he wears is made of a similar material to the Battle Armor. This makes sense given that Broly himself is a Saiyan so it is likely that he (or his father Paragus) had them made of similar materials. Broly's clothes share this trait with Gogeta's Metamoran clothes and Super Baby 2's armor.
- Although Great Ape Broly does not make an appearance in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, it was alluded to at one point in that game: shortly after Bardock used Frieza Saga Vegeta's Power Ball to transform into a Great Ape, he promptly destroyed it and Vegeta cited his reason for doing that is so he can make sure Demigra-possessed Broly doesn't attempt to use it to transform into a Great Ape.
- Although the revised version of Broly in Dragon Ball Super was not known to utilize this particular variation, he was nevertheless able to transform into a standard Great Ape as a child, and was able to retain it to an extent with his Wrathful state despite his tail being removed (with it being implied that the latter state was what aided Broly's eventual transformation into a Legendary Super Saiyan).
- Broly's Legendary Super Saiyan form is a "different evolution" from the main Super Saiyan line, and thus results in a different hybrid form from Great Ape or Golden Great Ape when utilized alongside in combination with Great Ape