Gadzilla Norimaki (則巻ガジラ Norimaki Gajira), known as Gatchan (ガッチャン Gatchan) for short, is an Angel that was adopted into the Norimaki family and split into two beings referred to as Gatchan #1 and Gatchan #2 with both having no distinct differences and often follows Arale Norimaki around.
Gatchan is an Angel born from an egg placed on Earth by the Kami of the galaxy during the prehistoric ages, to prevent further development of the human civilization seeing that other civilizations eventually destroyed themselves and the planets they lived on. Gatchan's ability to replicate as well as its fondness of metal should have ensured that humanity would remain primitive and innocent.
Gatchan hatched from an egg brought home by Senbei Norimaki from a time traveling trip. Later on, it inexplicably replicates into a second one. Gatchan eats almost anything, except for rubber, and particularly likes to eat metal. She/He can also shoot rays from his/her antennae. Gatchan speaks in his/her own language consisting primarily of sounds like "Koo pee pee poo" that Arale Norimaki somehow seems to understand. However, in the manga, Gatchan has said a few words in Japanese/English. Being a baby, Gatchan also imitates what others do (most of the time, what Arale does). Gatchan does not physically age. Gatchan later splits into two beings.
When the Kami that placed them on Eath sees that Gatchan failed in the mission they were originally sent to do (due to Senbei's time traveling intervention), God was about to destroy humanity. However, after seeing the life of Penguin Village, he changed his mind and left Earth as it is.
General Blue Saga
Main article: General Blue Saga
The Gatchans accompany Arale during the time Goku arrives in Penguin Village when trying to chase General Blue for the Dragon Balls. Goku who was amazed by Arale's strength when beating General Blue gets surprised when the Gatchan's demonstrate their strength as well by zapping a tree.
Gatchan was shown to have split into at least eight separate beings by Age 759 during a look at the cast of Dr. Slump five years from the time the main series took place, however this may have been undone due to Akira Toriyama discovering that he was a homeless beggar, and declaring he was changing the future.
Dragon Ball Super
"Future" Trunks Saga
Main article: "Future" Trunks Saga Gatchan's #1 and #2 follow Arale to a world invention conference in West City that Senbei was receiving an award at. They eat the entire building while Arale was fighting Goku outside.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Flight – The Gatchans have the ability to fly using their wings.
- Antenna Beam – The Gatchans can shoot rays from their antennae. They first used this technique in Dr. Slump chapter 27, "Kids Gone Wild". They also uses this against General Tao in Dragon Ball: Mystical Adventure, as well as in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 as part of Arale's Playing Pro-Wrestling technique and in J-Stars Victory Vs.
- Metal Consumption - The Gatchans can consume and digest metal. This ability was originally meant by the Kami of the Galaxy to keep the humans of Earth primitive and innocent by impeding their technological development. However their removal from prehistoric times to Penguin Village prevented them from fulfilling the plan.
- Transformation -
Appearances in other media
Video Game Appearances
The Gatchans appear in Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu, Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen, Jump Ultimate Stars, Dr. Slump: Arale-Chan, and Dragon Ball: Origins 2. One of the Gatchans can be seen in the audience of the World Tournament stage in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2. Gatchan 1 & 2 are featured in Arale's Ultimate Blast in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Playing Pro-Wrestling, shooting the enemy with their Antenna Beam after Arale says "The Gatchan are really strong too". Gatchan also appears using his Antenna Beam to attack for Arale in J-Stars Victory Vs. Gatchan is a supporting character in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Japanese: Seiko Nakano (1980's series), Chie Sawaguchi (1997 series), Kumiko Nishihara (DBS)
- Funimation dub: Mike McFarland (Mystical Adventure), John Burgmeier (DB)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Fernanda Bock (DB), Giulia de Brito (Gatchan #1 - DBS), Agatha Paulita (Gatchan #2 - DBS)
- Polish dub: Aleksandra Kowalicka (both Gatchans - DBS)
- Gatchan's real name is a combination of the names of Gamera and Gojira, who is known as Godzilla in the West; hence s/he is known as "Gadzilla" in the English version. The name was given by Arale after her suggestions of "Gamera" and "Godzilla" were rejected by Senbei.
- On the cover of the 11th chapter of the spin-off manga Dr. Slump Returns, But Only For a Little While by Takao Koyama and Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, a Gatchan is shown dressed up as Piccolo and the other is dressed as Teen Gohan, while Arale is dressed as Goku.
- The failure of the Kami of the Galaxy's plan to use the Gatchans to impede Earth's technological development was ironically a good thing as had Earth remained primitive it would have likely negatively effected the Mortal Level of Universe 7 as civilization level of planets within said Universe is one of the factors that is considered. Additionally it would have prevented the development of the Dragon Radar and other technologies used by the Dragon Team resulting in a very different history for both Earth and Universe 7 had it succeeded.