"You hate the fact that you're powerless to stop me, that you're completely outmatched. Well, imagine feeling the way you do now, all of the time like the people of this planet do! FOOLS, how do you think my master Gohan felt when you ganged up on him in the rain, and HE had no way out? Well, now it's your turn...I hope you enjoy it!"
Future Trunks (未来のトランクス Mirai no Torankusu) is the Saiyan and Earthling hybrid son of Future Vegeta and Future Bulma from an alternate future. By the time Present Trunks was born, the timeline had been altered by Future Trunks' and Cell's trips to the past. Therefore, the two Trunks had completely different lives (as opposed to those who lived before the Time Machines arrived, they lived exactly the same lives as their counterparts until the point at which the two timelines diverge: three years before the androids arrived).
Well-mannered, serious and very cautious, Trunks hails from an alternate timeline in which Future Androids 17 and 18 murdered the Dragon Team and proceeded to create apocalyptic hell on Earth. Trunks is trained by Future Gohan as a teenager and becomes a gifted fighter, swordsman and a Super Saiyan; traits that aid him greatly in the battle against the Androids after traveling back in time in order to save his own future.
Years later, Future Trunks would return in Dragon Ball Super, this time fighting against a mysterious entity referred to as Goku Black (and later his partner-in-crime Future Zamasu) wreaking havoc in the future. In the end, Trunks (with the help of Goku and Vegeta) neutralizes the threat, though unfortunately, Fused Zamasu not only survives the ordeal, but his essence began to merge with the universe itself, to the point that Future Zeno had to erase the future timeline completely. Trunks himself is one of the three survivors and is currently living in another future timeline where another Future Trunks exists - created in the anime by Whis warning Future Beerus ahead of time to eliminate the soon-to-be rogue Supreme Kai, while in the manga Trunks and Mai travel to their timeline's past and prevent Future Shin's death with the blessing of Beerus as it will save his counterpart, thus eliminating the possibility of the Project Zero Mortals.
Trunks is a slim yet well-built young man of below average height and light skin-color; his facial features and skin-tone are inherited from his father. He has blue eyes, and hair colored either lavender, purple or blue depending on the media, that is soft and straight that parts from the top of his head to frame both sides of his face reaching his ears with two loose strands over his forehead; traits he inherited from his mother. In his childhood, his hair parted at his right temple with strands hanging out and the top of his head sweeping to the left. As a teenager-on, his hairline parted at the center of his head.
In his childhood, he wore a white shirt with blue long sleeves and the Capsule Corporation title on the chest along with grey sweatpants and blue boots. When during his first adventure in the present timeline, he is usually seen wearing an indigo jacket reaching his abdomen with the Capsule Corporation logo on the left sleeve, a black tank-top, dark gray pants with a white belt, and golden boots, and computerized watch. His most noticeably accessory is his broadsword hanging on his back and hanging over his right shoulder in a red sheath with a blue strap. Later for his battle against Cell, he wears clothing identical to his father's: a blue skin-tight jumpsuit with a Saiyan Battle Armor, white boots with yellow tips, and white gloves. Following his training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, he grows noticeably taller and muscular, though still somewhat shorter and thinner than Goku. He also sports longer hair reaching past his shoulders, which is later cut back to its normal length.
In Bojack Unbound, Trunks retains his primary attire in the Androids Saga but his indigo jacket has been replaced with an identical vest, and also retains his long hair.
In Dragon Ball Online, the Xenoverse series, Trunks dons clothing inspired by various military uniforms from World War I and II. Trunks wears a World War-esque black trench coat with a fur-lined collar and an olive green sweater underneath, olive green pants with lighter-colored bandages around his shins and brown colored laced boots which. Additionally, Trunks also carries a new sword, while wearing these clothes. Trunks: Xeno retains his original lavender hair color.
In Dragon Ball Super, Trunks' clothes change somewhat from the outfit he initially wore; he wears a periwinkle-colored jacket that reaches his waist with the Capsule Corporation logo on the left sleeve, with a long red scarf around his neck, dark gray pants, and pale-green boots with black tips. Underneath his jacket, Trunks wears an olive green shirt with patches on the shoulders and forearms, reminiscent of British military standard issue jumpers. Noticeably, his hair and eyebrow color is blue in all Super media, just like his mother.
In the Prison Planet Saga, Future Trunks (post-"Future" Trunks Saga) wears a black vest with a Capsule Corp logo on the shoulder, he maintains his red scarf though wears it differently. After being imprisoned he wears a green prison uniform.
Trunks, having never met his father, nor grown up under his influence, combined with the fact that he grew up in an apocalyptic world, is very cautious, broody, and serious (such as when he begged Vegeta not to challenge the Androids without Goku being present or when he did not want Vegeta to trust Paragus), unlike his main timeline counterpart, who had a personality very similar to his father's. Due to living in such harsh times and trying to find any means necessary to destroy the androids, Trunks lacks the arrogance and pride of Saiyans like Goku and Vegeta and uses methods unbecoming of a traditional Saiyan warrior. Examples include suggesting that Goku eat a Senzu Bean during his fight against Perfect Cell and attempting to destroy present Androids 17 and 18 before they could be activated. This contrasts his present day counterpart, who arrogantly stated he intended to fight Goten with one hand on one occasion. Future Trunks clearly fears the Androids, panicking at the introduction of Android 16. He also appears to be afflicted with a degree of as a result of the struggles he faced in his apocalyptic nightmarish world. Nevertheless, Future Trunks is depicted as incredibly respectful to everyone, especially his mother Future Bulma and his master Future Gohan. When he finally meets Vegeta in the past, Future Trunks is seen to be constantly trying to impress him. This is often mixed with disgust and horror towards his father's uncaring attitude towards those around him, especially when Vegeta refused to save Bulma and baby Trunks when Dr. Gero blows up their capsule airplane, forcing Future Trunks to save his present counterpart and mother.
Because he comes from the future and believes he knows what is going to happen, Future Trunks is usually shown thinking that only some things will matter and others probably would not (although he is usually right in the long term). This is shown in, at first, his resistance to do anything unless Goku is present. Other things, such as his surprise that Piccolo's fusion would make a difference, also show this. As such, he is usually surprised at events (on a different layer than the fact that history was different from his recollection). He is even (though very rarely) shown to be cocky, such as when he became a Super Saiyan Third Grade, but when he loses his seeming "advantage" this cockiness dissolves instantly. Molded from his dark timeline, he is very serious and is a determined fighter like his father.
Unlike his father or alternate timeline self, Future Trunks is often shown to be very polite and well-mannered. This is clearly shown in the original version through his speech, as he is often heard using the polite form of Japanese phrases when addressing his allies. However, Future Trunks does have some qualities typical of Saiyans, especially before he went into the past. Before jumping into the past, Future Trunks had little interest in his mother's invention, believing it to be unnecessary and not entirely believing that Goku was the caliber of warrior that was needed to defeat the Androids, but after he got thrashed good and hard by the Androids from his timeline after becoming a Super Saiyan, he finally decided that he was ready to give her idea a try. In the manga, however, he does at one point flip the bird at Imperfect Cell.
After Black appeared on Earth, brought humanity to the brink of extinction, killed his mother, and almost Future Mai, Trunks' began to resurface, when he mistook Goku for Black, and attacked him without thinking, and only stopped after noticing Bulma, realizing he had arrived in the past, and when he was flying to Gohan's house, Trunks began to have visions of his destroyed future instead of the peaceful present timeline. Despite achieving his goal of returning to the past, and seeing all of his friends alive and well, Trunks still could not let go of the traumatic events he had been through, and always had a saddened and uncomfortable look on his face. Only when he met Gohan and his family, Trunks was finally able to lighten up and start enjoying himself in the past.
Another trait of Trunks' personality that was hinted in Dragon Ball Super, was that Future Trunks only desired to become stronger in order to defeat the current threat that appeared before him (the Androids, Future Majin Buu, and Black), and defeating those threats were his only goals. Vegeta told Trunks that he should not just train simply when a new enemy appeared, and his goal in life should be training every day to become stronger, because he would never know when an enemy stronger than the one before could appear, and should always be ready for them, despite being in times of peace. This caused Trunks to finally realize the reason behind Vegeta's desire for excessive training, and also made Trunks promise his father to not only defeat Black, but grow stronger than he ever did before to protect the future. After being defeated by Future Zamasu and Black (even with Goku and Vegeta's assistance), and realizing the rogue Supreme Kai's immortality and the dark entity's ever growing power, Future Trunks felt utterly hopeless on being able to save everyone in his time, but eventually got over it thanks to his Present counterpart.
However even though Future Trunks is very different from his main timeline counterpart he shares one trait with him and that is his ability to create and execute complex battle strategies and attack at appropriate times during battle while battling stronger opponents to gain the advantage and this trait Future Trunks displays on a large number of occasions throughout his appearances in Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super this trait he may have inherited from his father. Trunks first displays this in Dragon Ball Super on his second encounter with Black shooting a Masenko at him to distract Black so Trunks could flee to the past. Another example is when Trunks turns into Super Saiyan Third Grade to cause Vegeta to drop his guard and attack and when Vegeta gets close he powers up to Super Saiyan 2 and was able fight evenly with him for a time while Vegeta was taken aback by the change. This ability once again comes into use during the Saiyan trio's battle against Black and Future Zamasu, with Trunks able to perfectly pick his spots to intervene and deal damage to both Black and Zamasu or isolate them from one another so Trunks can have a one on one fight. During battle Future Trunks is quite easily able to see through and adapt and change tactics, something no other Saiyan displays, even Gohan. This trait shined the most when Trunks stayed behind to fight both Black and Zamasu at the same time, effectively able to learn and adapt to how Zamasu was protecting Black to actually get damage onto Black and was even able to knock Black out cold at one point.
At the end of the Future Trunks Saga, as Future Trunks and Future Mai were about to disappear in the Time Machine, both Gohan and Piccolo appeared to bid farewell, Trunks looks at the former and was saddened that he couldn't save anyone in his timeline. Trunks began to cheer up after Gohan tells him to take care (remembering his old master: Future Gohan), and happily looks forward to protecting everyone in the new timeline.
Relationship to Future Mai
Chronologically the two met as young kids after the Pilaf gang wished for youth to Shenron just seconds before Future Piccolo's death. Both Future Trunks and Future Mai momentarily looked at one-another before the latter departed. Sometime prior to the "Future" Trunks Saga, Trunks and Mai met and became allies that stood in defiance to Goku Black.
Trunks is quite close to Mai and has saved her life on a number of occasions (and vice-versa). When he thought that Goku Black had killed her, Trunks became so enraged that he immediately attacks the dark entity. After returning to his time, Trunks was tearfully relieved when he found out that she was still alive. After returning to the future the second time and learning that Mai had gotten severely injured from fighting off Black, he takes action and heals her with a senzu bean in a kissing fashion. After the deaths of the remaining Earthlings from Infinite Zamasu's assault, Trunks consoles the grief-stricken Mai.
Humorously, whenever other characters mention the possibility of them being in a relationship, both Trunks and Mai deny it while blushing at the same time.
Differences from Present Trunks
Due to living in such a bleak and dangerous future, Future Trunks is very different than his present time counterpart. Due to a hostile and lonely life with nearly everyone dead, Trunks' best and only friend is Future Gohan. They also have quite a bit of personality differences; while Present Trunks is cocky and arrogant like his father, Future Trunks is not, taking more after his mother Bulma. Another large difference is that Future Trunks is able to see through enemy tactics and adapt strategies while in a fight, something his present counterpart while able to do so if he applies himself is far from efficient at. His present counterpart often prefers to charge in head first to fights while Future Trunks prefers to think before acting.
It was unknown how Future Trunks would react to meeting Trunks (until Dragon Ball Super), however this occurs in the video games Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2, Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast, and Dragon Ball Xenoverse. In both Budokai 3 and Shin Budokai, young Trunks states that it is "Just like having a brother", whereas in Legendary Super Warriors and Tenkaichi 2, he does not even realize it is his future self and the two have a sparring match. In Raging Blast, Future Trunks is disappointed that Trunks has become spoiled and arrogant in times of peace. However, he retracts his disdain for the boy after being surprised by the young Saiyan's strength after they battle, most notably at his ability to transform into a Super Saiyan at such a young age. They did meet in the manga and anime, however, when Trunks was still just a baby; once when Future Trunks rescued him and Bulma from Dr. Gero's attack, and once when Future Trunks came to Capsule Corporation before the Cell Games announcement. For a minute, Trunks incessantly pulled on Future Trunks' hair.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, during the 1st half of the GT Saga, Future Trunks, while watching events unfold from the Time Nest, is horrified by the Future Warrior having to face his Tuffle parasite Infected counterpart. He also shows disgust towards the Infected Trunks' underhanded tactics such as pretending to have returned to normal to fool Pan and the Future Warrior, though Future Trunks is able to see through his infected counterpart's lie and warns the Warrior foiling his infected counterpart's plan. However, during the games' Super 17 Saga, Trunks gains Future Trunks' respect after he witnesses his counterpart's willingness to confront the Neo Ginyu Force in place of his father and even cheers on his counterpart. Future Trunks and Trunks (Kid & GT) never actually interact during the game's story, though they have special dialog between them should they encounter each other in battle or in Parallel Quests. If Future Trunks and GT Trunks fight, GT Trunks is confused by the appearance of his alternate future self causing Future Trunks to reveal he is a Trunks from a different future.
However, in Super, both Future Trunks and Present Trunks meet and greet each other when Bulma explains the former's situation. When Future Trunks engaged in a sparring match with Goku, present Trunks cheered for him, also impressed by his power. After Goku Black destroyed the Time Machine Future Trunks was now trapped in the past. Present Trunks tries to make Future Trunks feel better until Bulma found a way back to the future she gets the time machine Cell came in from the Future hoping with everyone hoping it will work. Present Day Trunks slowly began to get jealous of his Future counterpart because Mai was starting to fall for Future Trunks. Present Trunks then starts to win Mai over by acting like his Future counterpart but fails. Eventually when Future Trunks explains his world to Present Trunks, Present Trunks begins to show great care and concern for his older counterpart, loving him as if he was his older brother.
"Gohan, why'd you have to do it, why'd you have to leave me? It's not fair! Oh gosh no... what did they do to you Gohan? You were my best friend, you were everything to me... everything! This just isn't fair! Gohan... Gohan... GOHAN!!!"
Trunks was born in Age 766 and is from an alternate timeline, one in which the Earth had been continuously terrorized by the evil Android 17 and Android 18. By the time we are introduced to the pair of Androids, over three fourths of the world's population has been eliminated due to their spree of destruction. In this future, Gohan and Trunks are weaker versions of themselves without the training of the experienced Dragon Team later on.
In this timeline, Goku dies of a heart virus six months before the Androids arrive, leaving the Z Fighters without one of their greatest heroes. His father Vegeta and all of the other Z Fighters (except Future Gohan) are killed, with the Androids easily outclassing them in power since they were both built to be more powerful than Goku. The Z Fighters are unable to be wished back to life as the Dragon Balls are permanently useless, due to Piccolo's death, which also kills Kami. Over the course of the next thirteen years, Gohan becomes Future Trunks' mentor and trains him in everything he knows, also teaching him swordsmanship. Gohan tries his best to teach Trunks how to become a Super Saiyan as well, necessary for him to compete against the Androids' might. However, with everyone already dead and having not yet felt a certain level of sadness and sorrow, Trunks simply cannot find the motivation to transform (in the manga, Trunks had already achieved the Super Saiyan form at this time).
Trunks is at age 14 at the time. In an amusement park named Super World, Gohan and Trunks face the Androids in battle where Trunks, in his inexperience, is cornered by Android 18. Gohan is forced to sacrifice himself to save Future Trunks, losing his arm in the process which only further demoralizes Trunks and causes his confidence to fall. Trunks tries repeatedly to attain Super Saiyan during training but still struggles with it, unlike his alternate-timeline self who attains it at a much younger age and with relative ease.
Later in Age 780, the pair are drawn into battle against the Androids again, so Gohan knocks Trunks unconscious knowing that if he faces them again he will be killed. Gohan holds his own against the Androids at Pepper Town, being stronger than each individually (only in the anime; Gohan initially lost against Android 17 who was using less than half his full strength, and even after the years of training with Trunks, he is effortlessly defeated by the foe and killed before Trunks awakens) but unable to compete with both of them and their infinite energy reserves. Gohan is defeated and killed, leaving Trunks to find his body lying in the rain. Overcome with anger and grief, Trunks finally transforms into a Super Saiyan (as said above, in the manga, he was able to transform already, but due to his inexperience was unable to even keep up with an arm-less Gohan in his normal state, until his training for the next three years) and spends the next few years training to avenge his fallen allies, but despite all this, he struggles to defeat the Androids.
"You monsters! All those people! And all those children! I won't let you do this anymore!"
After another close escape at Bridgetown in Age 783, Future Bulma reveals her Time Machine to her son, which she hopes he will use to return to the past and save Goku, hopefully altering the future. In this future, Trunks did not know his father Vegeta at all, as he was only an infant at the time he was murdered by the Androids.
Dragon Ball Z
"These androids are ruthless, they delight in causing pain and chaos. Living on Earth in my time is like living in a nightmare... always running and hiding, looking for a way out."
In Age 784, Trunks travels back in time 20 years, in order to warn Goku about the android threat in the near future, as well as to deliver medication that will cure Goku of the heart virus that he is supposed to die from. However, upon arrival he is greeted by Frieza with his father King Cold. They had come to Earth in order to seek revenge upon Goku's loved ones, and to kill Goku himself. Trunks, then seventeen years old, did not look like much of a threat to Frieza, and he freely told him so. Trunks implies his ability to transform into a Super Saiyan, but Frieza, albeit initially shocked, laughs it off along with his father. Trunks, anticipating that Frieza does not believe him, proves it by transforming, to Frieza's horror. Frieza was then given three opportunities to kill Future Trunks, but the young Super Saiyan is able to block and dodge the attacks with ease, and he kills all the soldiers Frieza and his father had brought to Earth.
Frustrated, Frieza fires a Supernova at Trunks. Trunks just catches the attack and tells Frieza that he must have "dropped it," after which Frieza detonates the blast with an Energy Wave (only in the anime, while in the manga Frieza never tried a planet-busting ki attack, and fired this blast immediately instead). Future Trunks then easily remains unscathed and performs what he calls the Burning Attack to have Frieza dodge the blast, which is followed up by his Shining Sword Attack.
Frieza, cut in half, was defeated by having his body hacked to pieces and Future Trunks then followed up with an energy blast, and was soon followed by his arrogant father King Cold, who was killed by a God Breaker. Trunks then guides the Dragon Team congregated nearby to the place where Goku is going to land, and then has them wait for Goku to arrive. He offers the Z Fighters a drink from his capsule cooler. During their wait, Trunks keeps staring at Vegeta (due to it being the first time he actually met his father since he died during the Android attack in his timeline while he was still a baby), causing the latter to demand to know why he is staring at him. In addition, the Bulma notes Trunks' resemblance to Vegeta in facial features and Tien speculates that he must have met Goku during the latter's trip in outer space, although the theory is shot down when Chiaotzu reminds them that Trunks said he never actually met Goku before. After two hours, upon looking at his watch, Trunks informs the Z Fighters that Goku's ship is about to land.
When Goku arrives, Trunks finds out to his chagrin that he interfered with the timeline unnecessarily; although miles away in space, Goku was prepared to step in using his Instant Transmission technique (just as he did in Trunks' original timeline) when Trunks showed up and killed Frieza. Trunks then informs Goku of the future where the Androids arrive and kill all of the Z Fighters in a large battle, also telling Goku not to inform anyone about his parents. However, Piccolo's sensitive Namekian ears pick up the conversation, and as Goku forgot some details about Trunks' telling, Piccolo tells the Z Fighters of the future, inspiring the heroes to train their hardest for the next three years. However, inadvertently, Trunks' revelation of the future alters it slightly.
"I agreed with my mother that I should travel back in time, but I had my own reasons for wanting to go. I had hoped that in the past, with Goku's help, I would find the androids had some weakness. That way I could go back to the future. And even though I still wouldn't be able to bring back all those already gone, I might be able to save the people who are left."
When the androids eventually appear and they face the Z Fighters, Goku had not contracted the heart disease six months prior like he was supposed to, instead he contracted it during the battle against Android 19. Before Goku could be killed, Vegeta saves him, telling Yamcha to take him home and cure him with his medication, and reveals his new Super Saiyan form, killing Android 19 with great ease when he uses his signature Big Bang Attack to reduce him to a smoldering head. Trunks returns to the past to find Android 19's detached head on the Southern Continent and Android 20, two androids he never saw in his timeline and realizes that this timeline is now branching off considerably from his own. When Android 20 (who is, Dr. Gero in reality) releases the real androids of his future, Android 17 and Android 18, they rebel and kill their creator before releasing the previously unknown Android 16.
Because Trunks warned the heroes of the future and they trained to become stronger, the androids of this timeline have been made considerably stronger, to the point where Android 18 is able to even easily take down Super Saiyan Vegeta and Super Saiyan Trunks together. Vegeta fights Android 18 and eventually loses. Trunks rushes to his father's aid, in an attempt to slash her with his sword; however, she blocks the attack (causing the sword to crack, much to his astonishment), and he was struck down by Android 17 seconds later. Moments later, he had recovered and attempts another attack; however, Android 18 caught on to this and throws Vegeta at him. Trunks was then defeated, while returning to his base form. Afterwards, he and Krillin went to Goku's house to evacuate him from the premises, and boards Yamcha's airship.
Eventually, Cell from another alternate timeline is revealed and hatches from his larval state, and he sets about absorbing the androids of the current timeline. After learning from Piccolo how Cell was created and the location at what was Dr. Gero's Lab where Cell was being created, Trunks set out alongside Krillin to destroy the main timeline's incarnation of Cell and the underground lab. During this event, Trunks uncovers blueprints of Android 17, eventually leading to the discovery of the Android's weakness: a Shut Down Remote. Because the androids and Cell are superior in strength to any of the fighters, the heroes go to train again, this time in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
When Vegeta and Trunks train in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber together, Trunks believes he surpasses Vegeta in power (though he fails to see the reason why Vegeta stops increasing his maximum power at the time) by ascending further to the Super Saiyan Third Grade state like Trunks. However, throughout the year that was spent in the Time Chamber, Trunks realized Vegeta's real sense of Saiyan pride and thought it was best to hide his true power level out of fear of upsetting his father, unaware of the fact or reason Vegeta purposely did not ascend.
Trunks had managed to reach what is known as the Super Saiyan Third Grade state, where the Saiyan is still a Super Saiyan, but has greatly augmented their physical strength from even the Super Saiyan Second Grade state. However, due to the overblown muscle mass, the brute force benefit in this form is offset by a gross decrease in speed, a point which Cell proved by toying with him, constantly dodging his every move, then explaining the flaw and proving he could bulk up just the same. It is later realized that Vegeta could have easily reached this same level of power if he wanted, but decided against it due to knowing full well the form's weakness, something Trunks failed to spot during their training due to his inexperience.
"You androids make me sick the way you act like this is all just some twisted game. What you androids did to my world was all too real. And I promise that will not be repeated here!"
Trunks is the second Saiyan to take on Perfect Cell with the intention of destroying him. Although Trunks' power was enough to deal significant damage to Cell, Trunks simply kept increasing his power, unaware that his speed was greatly decreasing and his energy consumption greatly augmented to a point where sustaining the state would prove to be a problem. His body became too bulky and slow from the large quantity of muscle and this gave Cell the upper hand, despite not even having powered up and slightly below Trunks in brute strength. Trunks quickly realized that he was too slow and gave up hope right before Cell's eyes. The battle hungry Cell however, was intrigued at how strong Trunks had become in such a short period of time and posed a challenge to the strongest fighters on Earth (The Z Fighters) to train as much as they could over a period of ten days. Then at the end of these ten days all the greatest fighters of Earth will compete in the Cell Games. Trunks then left the battlefield and spread the word about the Cell Games before taking a position in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, again training for a whole year in one day.
When Trunks emerges from his training his power had seen very little increase compared to last time. Trunks is forced to contend with Cell's smaller but incredibly powerful clones along with the other heroes, slowly and gradually losing the fight. After Cell self-destructs out of fear of Super Saiyan 2 Gohan, a cluster of cells containing the core of his being survives and he uses it to resurrect himself through regeneration, much stronger than he ever had been before. Upon his reappearance, he impales Future Trunks through the chest with a Full Power Death Beam, mortally wounding him (while the Funimation dub states that this was intentional, the original version implies that he was just firing randomly, as evidenced by the line "Who was it that I hit? Trunks?"). While Gohan is preparing to fight Cell again, Trunks uses up the last of his life energy to vomit up blood, and Yamcha and Tien Shinhan rush over to aid him, only to realize he had died that moment.
This act causes a drastic change in Vegeta, who becomes enraged that someone who cared about him has been killed and reveals his affection for his son. Vegeta then gives everything he can give to try and take down Super Perfect Cell although he fails and is overwhelmed by Cell's power, who takes all his attacks without a scratch and severely cripples him with a halfhearted blow, preparing to kill him like he did Trunks (only to have Gohan shield him, but at the cost of the use of his left arm). After Cell's defeat, the dead Future Trunks is taken to Kami's Lookout where he is revived by Shenron. Later, when told how his father reacted to his death by Yamcha, Future Trunks became shockingly proud of his father. After the celebrations for Cell's long-waited defeat, Trunks give Bulma the Time Machine which Cell use to came to that era and Vegeta acknowledges Trunks while he says his goodbyes.
"You think this life is all about you, don't you? What about the others? The ones that you two killed?"
After saying his goodbyes, Trunks returns to his own time to exact revenge on the androids for murdering the Z Fighters. After reuniting with his mother, Bulma, Trunks hears a news update on the location of the androids and he quickly powers up into his powered Super Saiyan form, now greatly augmented by his two years of training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. At Parsley City, the Androids are about to kill another innocent man (in the manga he is killed before Trunks' arrival by being shot in the face by 17), when suddenly Trunks hurtles a very accurate energy attack which narrowly misses 17. The cocky androids foolishly underestimate Trunks and try to rush him. Trunks easily dodges their attacks and punishes them duly, obliterating 18 in a point-blank energy blast. 17 looks on in disbelief and his feelings soon turn to hatred, but he too is terminated with ease in a single blow, before being blown to dust effortlessly.
The completely unscathed Trunks returns home since everything now seems at peace with the Earth, except for one thing: Cell. Three years pass before the determined Bio-Android roams around in his weakest form looking for the now non-existent androids and comes across Trunks and Bulma saying their goodbyes near the time machine. Trunks is age 23 at the time. As Trunks is about to leave for the past one final time to inform them of his success, he senses Cell and sends his mother away. He turns towards Cell and begins to taunt him with his knowledge from the alternate past. He informs him that he has killed the androids from the current time. The cocky Cell approaches the half-Saiyan under the false impression that Trunks is still at the level of power when he initially went back in time and warned Goku, even weaker than the future Androids who are in turn inferior to Cell's strength by a long shot. The fight begins and Cell is clearly outclassed as Trunks hurls him outside of the city with a simple energy wave in his base state. Once outside West City, Trunks then transforms into a Super Saiyan and then proceeds to clobber Cell with great ease.
"The nightmare is over, Cell! DIE!"
When declaring that Cell must die, Cell gets enraged and launches his tail at Trunks. Trunks takes action by grabbing Cell's tail and swinging him around in a circle, building up momentum, and then hurling him high into the air. Cell realizes that he has no hope against the new powers of Trunks, and prepares a Kamehameha large enough to destroy the planet, knowing all too well that he could survive in space. Cell begins the attack but is interrupted when Trunks powers up and unleashes a massive destructive wave of energy which incinerates Cell completely. With the future finally at peace, Trunks is seen looking towards the sky while thanking Goku and his friends in the past one last time.
Several years later, Trunks was invited to the Sacred World of the Kai by Shin to train in preparation for Babidi's arrival. He successfully pulled out the Z Sword and trained with it to increase his strength. Shin and Kibito were both impressed that a human was able to master the Z Sword and so Shin decided to finalize his training by testing the Z-Sword's sharpness by cutting a block of Katchin, the hardest metal in the universe. Before Shin could throw the block to Trunks, Kibito sensed Babidi's movements and so they then went to Earth and Trunks requested for his clothes to return to normal. After they reach Earth they managed to take out Pui Pui and Yakon. Trunks then battles Dabura as a Super Saiyan while wielding the Z Sword.
As he was fighting him, Dabura spit on the Z Sword, and as it was being turned into stone, Shin demanded for Trunks to release the sword. As Trunks released the sword, it was completely turned to stone and broke when it fell to the ground, where Dabura burned it with his fire breath. Aftwards, Dabura delivered a strike to Trunks but Trunks held his blade until he was pushed back. Shin stated that he miscalculated Babidi having the ability to have Dabura as his servant and declared that he will prevent Majin Buu's revival as he charged at Babidi. However, Shin was attacked by Dabura and seeing this, Kibito attempted to assist Shin but Dabura blasted him. Shin was being tortured by Babidi and seeing this, Trunks out of anger transformed into Super Saiyan 2 and fiercely attacked Dabura. While Dabura was defending Babidi, Trunks delivered a powerful kick to Dabura and the impact managed to kill Babidi. Dabura was about to use his spear and throw it at Trunks, but Shin paralyzed Dabura and Trunks was able to kill him with a Burning Attack. Shin was glad that the world was at peace, then he perished.
In the anime, Future Trunks had become much stronger and was able to take on Dabura thanks to instructions he received from Shin. He faced Future Dabura and destroyed him along with Future Babidi, preventing the resurrection of Future Majin Buu.
Dragon Ball Super
Golden Frieza Saga
Main article: Golden Frieza Saga In the anime, while not seen in the present timeline Future Trunks appeared in a flashback killing Frieza when Shenron mention Frieza's death to Sorbet. He would later be mentioned by Bulma as one of the two Saiyans that defeated Frieza. Later when Gotenks showed up and attacked Tagoma and defused. When Frieza first looked at Trunks it reminded him of Future Trunks. After Frieza's death Trunks said next time he sees Frieza he would cut him in two which reminded Goku and Piccolo of Future Trunks.
"Future" Trunks Saga
Main article: "Future" Trunks Saga
Several years after killing Future Dabura and Future Babidi, and nine years after the fall of the Future Cell, Now Age 796 an enigmatic man named Black goes berserk and causes humanity to be on the brink of extinction. Trunks attempts to stop Black, but fails. Bulma suggests that they should receive help from Goku and Vegeta in the past. Six months later, Bulma gathers enough fuel for a one-way trip to the past for the Time Machine, when all of a sudden, Black gets in their way. Future Trunks shields his mother when Black destroys the lab. Future Trunks is shocked to see that Black has Future Bulma. Future Bulma then tells him to go on without her, and that getting back to the past is the highest priority. Black then fires another ki blast, destroying the lab and Future Bulma, much to his horror. He then shakes it off and runs to find Future Mai, knowing that getting back to the past is their highest priority.
Trunks goes to search for Mai, and he is concerned at first when he knocks at her door and gets no answer, yet is relieved when he sees her. Mai asks where Bulma is, then is saddened when she realizes her death by the hands of Black, with Trunks crying over his loss. Trunks reignites the hope of going back to the past as he shows Mai the energy that Bulma sacrificed her life to get, further stating they can go back to the past. Trunks and Mai are seen in the room. Mai asks him if he wants to rest, yet he declines. Mai offers him a can of meat yet declines, as they saw a kitten walk by and they feed him. Trunks then offers half of the can of meat to Mai. Though reluctant, Mai eats up her fill. After she finishes eating, Trunks tells her that they only have enough energy to make a one way trip. They then prepare to leave to Capsule Corporation, and they both see the kitten leave, and that puts a smile on their face, and they run to Capsule Corporation.
Unable to sense Black's ki, Trunks and Mai went forward to the ruined Capsule Corporation building. However, as they approached the building, Black suddenly descends into the scene. He tells Mai to go ahead of him, giving her the energy and drawing his sword as he rushes in to engage Black. In a short skirmish, Trunks was outstripped by Black's unknown powers, and Mai rushed to his head. She volunteered herself as the decoy, telling him he was the one who needed to survive, and winded up critically injured by Black. Holding her unconscious body, Trunks was furious as Black descended and told him the day for him to die has arrived.
Clutching Mai's hand, Trunks started to think quick. Realizing Capsule Corp to be intact and that Goku Black is unaware of the Time Machine's existence, Trunks distracts him. However, infuriated by Black's goading of Mai's presumed death, he rushed Black head-on, and the two engaged in a fierce battle. Pushed to the edge, he uses his sword to stop a ki blast from Black, and blinds him with a Masenko. Trunks managed to flee to his time machine, and escaped from the future just in time, narrowly avoiding Black's Kamehameha.
Future Trunks manages to escape from Black and get the time machine 16 years into the past traveling from Age 796 to Age 780, where his time machine is found by a woman and he is located unconscious inside by his present counterpart. He is then rushed onto a gurney, where Trunks gets to see him, and is shocked by Future Trunks' arrival. He is then with Bulma, Vegeta, Goku, and Trunks, where they see him in his current state, much to their corresponding concern. Trunks eventually wakes up. Upon seeing Goku, Future Trunks begins suffering from PTSD and mistakes Goku for Black. Future Trunks suddenly rushes out of his bed and attempts to attack Goku in anger, much to Goku's confusion. However, Goku halts Future Trunks' attack by grabbing his arm before the attack could land. Future Trunks is snapped out of his trance and learns that Goku was revived long after he returned to future. Future Trunks then meets his Present counterpart who is surprised to meet him before he goes to retrieve his sword, catching sight of present-day Mai in the process.
Bulma later explains the Time Machine to everyone as Future Trunks tells his counterpart they really first met when the latter was a baby. Future Trunks then meets Beerus and Whis learning they come from the world of the gods and that time travel is forbidden enough to permit death as Bulma argues with them. Knowing his mother's attitude means trouble, Trunks begs Whis (who he mistakes as the God) until the latter points out Beerus with Trunks learning he is the God of Destruction. Trunks begs Beerus for forgiveness and he lets it slide after Bulma gives him delicious food.
Future Trunks is later asked why he time traveled as he talks about a new enemy, when asked if it was Majin Buu, he tells them he prevented the villain's hatching. He soon explains the reason why he attacked Goku as the enemy he is facing looks exactly like him and explains what happened to the Future because of him even revealing that Future Bulma was killed by the man they have named Goku Black. Goku, curious to how strong Future Trunks is, asks to have a sparring match with him. Future Trunks accepts and powers up to Super Saiyan 2. Impressed, Goku also powers up to Super Saiyan 2 and then eventually goes farther to Super Saiyan 3. Bulma, fearing for the city, erects a barrier around them so they can fight in peace. Fully powered up, Future Trunks, as a Super Saiyan 2 attacks with his sword. The force from the blow shatters the barrier but Goku as a Super Saiyan 3 caught the blade without much effort then proceeded to overpower the young Saiyan. Goku helps Future Trunks to his feet and tells him that he is impressed with his power and is amazed that he was able to get so far on his own. Future Trunks is then greeted by Krillin and Piccolo, who ask if something happened in the future.
In the anime only, a sudden thunderstorm appears, and Black appears through a portal, which shocks Future Trunks. Future Trunks becomes enraged by Black's appearance in the past and he is ready to fight but is stopped by Vegeta. He watches the fight between Super Saiyan 2 Goku and Black and he wonders why Goku doesn't go all out, and Vegeta explains about Goku's bad habit of not fighting seriously in the beginning. When the fight ends, Black is sucked back into the future, but not before Black destroys the Time Machine. With the Time Machine destroyed, Future Trunks is stranded in the past with no way back to his timeline. He then learns about the Time Ring from Whis and Beerus and asks for one but Beerus tells him that The Time Ring can only be used by the Supreme Kais. Bulma then found a capsule and opens it, revealing the Time Machine that Cell came in from the future. Bulma revealed that before Future Trunks went back to the future after Cell's defeat he gave that capsule to Bulma, and Bulma placed it away and forgot about it over the years.
Future Trunks then meets present day Mai and tells her about her future counterpart. He tells her about her future counterpart and how she was the leader of the resistance against Black. Goku then interrupts the story saying that Future Trunks should rest since he's been pushing himself ever since he got to the present timeline. Future Trunks then takes a nap, but has a nightmare about Black so he wakes up and checks on the progress of the Time Machine, and Bulma says she already has the fuel for the Time Machine, much to Future Trunks' surprise. He then goes outside where Krillin and Piccolo are cleaning up the mess from the battle and asks them where Gohan is, thinking maybe he should take Gohan to the future as well. Piccolo disagrees with Trunks, because Gohan was not as strong as he used to be, and told Future Trunks he "wasn't the same Gohan he knew".
In the anime, Future Trunks then visits Gohan during his conference, and they have ice cream together, while Future Trunks is somewhat shocked and slightly disappointed with Gohan's current power, and feels like he can't recognize him at all. Gohan invites him to meet his family, and they travel to Gohan's house, where Future Trunks meets Videl, Mr. Satan and Gohan's daughter, Pan. While Future Trunks waits for Gohan to finish his work, and Videl to prepare dinner, he babysits Pan, and wonders why is he there doing nothing, and Pan begins a tug-of-war with Future Trunks over his sword, until Gohan arrives to stop Pan. Future Trunks and Gohan then go outside with Pan, and they begin to talk about how Gohan should be stricter with Pan, but can't help himself as he gets "soft" whenever he looks at her. After Future Trunks sees Gohan playing with Pan, he has a vision of how his future would've been if Black hadn't shown up, and realizes the reason why he has to fight Black; in order to allow the people of his future to live happily like Gohan and his family, and is finally able to lighten up after the traumatic events he witnessed. Upon arrival back at Capsule Corp Future Trunks bumps into Krillin and talks for a while and Krillin nervously wants to introduce Trunks to his wife and child to which Future Trunks is excited to meet, a figure stumbles upon them, and it turned out to be Android 18, his former adversary, from his timeline, upon seeing Android 18, Future Trunks instantly recognizes her, calls out her name, and prepares to draw his sword, ready to attack her (thinking she is evil) but Krillin stops him and says that Android 18 is his wife. Initially, Future Trunks is both shocked and confused, however, Android 18 reveals she even has a child with Krillin which surprises Future Trunks even more (apparently unaware that despite being an "android", Android 18 can produce an offspring), Android 18 approaches him and gives Future Trunks a friendly fist, to his anxiety Android 18 tells Future Trunks that she heard about him destroying her future timeline counterpart, and demands Future Trunks to pay, but Android 18 is just joking and rejoins Krillin and their daughter, to his slight relief, Future Trunks looks at Android 18 happy together with her family with an awkward look on his face, and goes on to check on his mother.
In the anime only, on the next day, Vegeta takes Future Trunks to the forest to train and Trunks powers up to Super Saiyan 2 and wants Vegeta to go Super Saiyan 3 like Goku did. Vegeta simply laughs and goes Super Saiyan Blue, which confuses Trunks initially, but Trunks is quickly able to figure out that the Super Saiyan Blue form has godly energy and also figures out Goku uses this form as well and believes that Black can easily be stopped if Goku and Vegeta fight him together. Vegeta begins to mock Trunks and makes a bet with Trunks: if Trunks could land a hit on him, Vegeta would forfeit and award the victory to Trunks. Trunks responds by transforming into Super Saiyan Third Grade while Super Saiyan 2 for a massive power boost which Vegeta mocks and calls a primitive transformation and charges Trunks rapidly moving around him trying to confuse him.
However, Future Trunks is able to follow his father and at the last moment power back down to Super Saiyan 2 and counterattacks and begins to actually push back Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta with Vegeta realizing Future Trunks lured him in with the form. Vegeta is quickly able to regain the upper hand and begins to attack, with Trunks able to hold his own for a time but is eventually kicked through the forest and into a cliff as Goku and Bulma arrive via Instant Transmission. Future Trunks appears to have been beaten and power back down to base form, with Vegeta lifts Future Trunks by his shirt and begins mocking Future Trunks more and telling him that his goal should be to become the strongest in the universe and not just beat Black. Bulma attempts to move in to stop Vegeta but Goku stops her and says it's not over yet. Vegeta lowers his guard thinking he has won but Future Trunks springs to life and reveals he isn't hurt at all and headbutts Vegeta to the ground. Future Trunks begins to laugh at Vegeta and proclaim his victory over him and offers to help him up but Vegeta refuses and storms off. Future Trunks bows to his father and vows once again to not only defeat Black but to surpass him.
These events do not happen in the manga - and as such Black never destroyed Trunks' time machine like he did in the anime. The Z Fighters still have to wait for Future Trunks' time machine to be re-fueled and during this time they play a racing video game, with Future Trunks coming in second. Future Trunks then goes to train with Vegeta in a gravity chamber.
With the Time Machine fixed, Future Trunks then thanks everyone and he, Vegeta, and Goku head to the future. Upon arriving Future Trunks finds Future Mai's hat and Goku is shot at by the resistance thinking that Goku is Black. Future Trunks tells them that Goku is not Black, and they inform him of Future Mai's survival, and they meet the rest of the other resistance and refugees that survived Black's assault (including Future Yajirobe). The trio and Mai then head outside, and the three depart in search of Black.
Future Trunks, Goku, and Vegeta, signaled Black to their location. Future Trunks watches as Vegeta fights with Goku Black as a Super Saiyan Blue, but is shocked to see Goku Black's Super Saiyan Rosé transformation and him easily defeating Vegeta. Future Trunks is also shocked to see Future Zamasu and wonders who Goku Black is if the two are not the same person after all. As the two fight with Super Saiyan Blue Goku, Future Trunks joins in the fight, but the two are eventually defeated, after it is revealed Future Zamasu is immortal. The three Saiyans are saved by Future Mai and Earth's Resistance, and despite Future Trunks' protests, Future Mai sends the three back to the past in the time machine. By the time they arrive, they fall out beaten and unconscious.
Back in the present, Future Trunks and the others lament on Zamasu's immortality as well as Black's Super Saiyan Rosé form, and listens on to Whis' theory on the matter. Outside on a swing, Future Trunks felt hopeless and depressed about any chances of saving his timeline, until his younger version tried to snap him out of it by sparring (the match was completely off-screen). Future Trunks did appreciate Kid Trunks' attempt to get him to persevere. Goku, Beerus, and Whis return to inform everyone of Zamasu's demise. Future Trunks wasn't entirely convinced and suggests going back to the future to confirm Beerus' theory. Future Trunks tells Kid Trunks that despite them being the same person, they had different lives, he tells the latter about the deaths of Goku, Vegeta, and the others, as well as the Android threat. He also reveals that he is from an alternate timeline (and not the actual future).
Future Trunks, Vegeta, Goku, and Bulma (who decides to tag along this time) return to the future, where they are greeted by the resistance and head into the base where the other members and refugees are. Future Trunks learns that Future Mai got injured trying to hold back Black, he immediately rushes over and chews a Senzu Bean to heal her (in a CPR fashion), he leaves with Goku and Vegeta to confront Black and Future Zamasu, he and the others were shocked when learning that Black wasn't created by the Super Dragon Balls, but was another Zamasu that stole Goku's body. Goku tries to attack on his own but was pinned against a wall by Future Zamasu, and is impaled clean through the lower abdomen by Black who used Zamasu's immortal body to hide his attack. Black begins to mock Goku about how after he took his body he killed Goten and Chi Chi. Enraged, the heavily injured Goku breaks free and attacks and overwhelms Black and Future Zamasu for a period but is eventually defeated by Black and is unable to even move. Future Trunks and Vegeta enter the fight with Future Trunks wanting to take on Black. Black and Future Zamasu tell Future Trunks that he is one of the reasons they want to eradicate all mortals due to using the time machine and without him Black openly admits he would have never even sought out Goku's body, calling Future Trunks a sinner. Enraged at their statements, Future Trunks charges at Black, but is quickly knocked out of his Super Saiyan 2 form and falls to the ground. Consumed by his anger, Future Trunks stand back up and takes on a completely new form never seen before, shocking everyone. As he slowly walks towards Black with an enraged expression, Future Trunks loudly exclaims that he will kill Black.
Future Trunks proceeds to battle Black and Future Zamasu, fueled by a blind rage, but they use their teamwork to overwhelm him. However his rage eventually subsides and in his new state, Future Trunks is able to combat both Black and Future Zamasu at the same time. Eventually, Future Trunks lands on the ground and asks Vegeta and the others to escape using the time machine then find a way to defeat Black and Zamasu, while he provides cover fire. Vegeta carries Goku and gives Mai the Senzu beans, while Bulma starts the time machine. Future Trunks manages to prevent Black from destroying the time machine as it disappears, then proceeds to fight against them. Despite his best efforts, Future Trunks is eventually knocked out, but was saved by Mai. After waking up and eating a Senzu bean provided by Future Yajirobe, Future Trunks rescues Future Mai from a combined blast attack from Black and Future Zamasu after she attempts to assassinate Black. Future Trunks quickly devises a plan to separate the immortal Future Zamasu from Black and succeeds, leaving Black to fight Future Trunks in a sword duel. Black mocks Future Trunks' sword as a pathetic tool as he seemingly overwhelms him, but Future Trunks distracts him by throwing his sword before delivering three powerful gut punches followed by a full power Galick Gun. The beam sends Black flying through the forest, through his own hideout and straight into a mountain, where he appears be unconscious.
As Future Trunks attempts to regroup, Future Zamasu returns to try and kill Future Trunks. Realizing he only has one last attack in him, Future Trunks pretends to lower his guard before catching Future Zamasu in a lock. He decides that there must be a limit to Future Zamasu's regeneration, and attempts to blow him up in what appears to be a self-destruct attack, however he is stabbed through the back by Black who had recovered from their last encounter. Before a killing blow can be dealt, Goku and Vegeta return from the past and draw Black and Future Zamasu's attention, allowing Future Mai to save Trunks. After recovering, Future Trunks takes Future Mai to Bulma who orders Future Trunks to fix the Evil Containment Wave jar with super glue, reminding Future Trunks that he is good at puzzles.
Future Trunks fixes the jar and proceeded to learned the sealing technique, while Bulma leaves to distract Zamasu in order to buy time. He and Future Mai headed out shortly after and witnessed Zamasu lifting Bulma by her coat (the same way Black held Future Bulma). Future Trunks powers up and uses it on him, which seemed successful (that is until realizing that Goku forgot the amulet seal). Zamasu had broken free. Trunks and the others watched on as Black and Future Zamasu fused using the Potara earrings.
Future Trunks, Goku, and Vegeta prepared themselves against the merged Zamasu. Future Trunks takes on his new super form after seeing Goku and Vegeta defeated, he charges in, but proved little against the dark god's might. Realizing the desire to protect his world and its people, Future Trunks mustered up a lot of his energy to fire a Galick Gun, causing the fused entity to respond with a ki blast of his own. Future Trunks was slowly losing the beam clash, until Vegeta steps in (and fired a Galick Gun of his own), and the two managed to overpower the evil Shinjin/Saiyan hybrid. They both collapsed, proud of their seeming victory, but their defiance had only served to enrage Fused Zamasu. After Vegeta took a direct hit from the fused god's Lightning of Judgement, Future Trunks watched as Goku fired a strong Kamehameha wave at the enemy.
While watching the battle between Vegito Blue and Fused Zamasu, Future Trunks hears from Gowasu that the fusion of Goku Black and Future Zamasu is unstable; while the body may be immortal, the soul is not, so the Fusion is starting to destroy itself due to the conflict in body and soul. Bulma and Future Mai return with the time machine and what was left of Future Trunks's sword; staring at the blade, Future Trunks begins to hear everyone cheering for him and telling him not to give up. Inspired and with his will to fight returned, Future Trunks channels his ki through his broken blade, generating a long golden blade of energy. Thus rearmed, Future Trunks enters the fight to save the just-unfused Goku and Vegeta from death, engaging Fused Zamasu on his own a humanity's final hope.
"It's not about gods or mortals! You don't believe in anything but yourself and we won't let you win! This is the power of mortals fighting for each other. The power of believing in something bigger than just you!"
During the fight, Fused Zamasu mocks Future Trunks and his "mortal weakness", asking him where he will go for help now, the past of the future. Future Trunks tells him he is not ashamed of his "mortal weakness" and he just wants to save everyone. Future Trunks's allies fervently pray for his victory, causing him to unconsciously channel the energy of everyone who is still alive into a large ball of light. Upon noticing the massive orb and realizing what it is, Future Trunks flies into it and absorbs the energy, transforming his blade into a giant greatsword made of the light energy and making him equal to Fused Zamasu. As he calls for everyone to give him their energy, Goku and Vegeta wake up and give their remaining power to Trunks. Now fully engulfed in an aura of light energy, Future Trunks shatters Fused Zamasu's own ki blade before stabbing the formerly immortal god. Defying the mad god's final claim of superiority, Future Trunks uses his empowered blade to slice Fused Zamasu clean in half, destroying his body and ending the crusade of the fallen god once and for all.
While everyone congratulated Future Trunks for defeating the crazed entity, Zamasu however was shown to have survived and eschews his physical body to become one with the universe. Future Trunks, Goku, and Vegeta rushed to stop him, but to no avail, and the mad Kaioshin unleashes an onslaught of energy beams from the sky to kill all the remaining Earthlings, with only Future Trunks, Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, Future Mai, Shin, and Gowasu left. Future Trunks and the others watched as Goku used the button to summon Future Zeno, as Gowasu and Shin bowed down, while Future Trunks questioned who he was and is surprised to hear from Bulma he is the most eminent god in the universe.
When Goku suggested that Future Zeno erase Zamasu, the latter states he will and decides to destroy the entire future world as well. Hearing this, Goku quickly alerted everyone to run and activate the time machine. The group barely escaped through the time machine as Zeno begins to erase Zamasu along with the future multiverse. Future Trunks and the others arrived back to the present, and tells everyone that his world is no more, he and Goku used the time machine to search for Future Zeno and brought him to the present timeline. Whis and Beerus soon arrived and the former tells Future Trunks that he will go forward in time to warn Future Beerus to destroy Future Zamasu thereby thwarting his ambitions, stating that it will also add another Future Trunks and Future Mai in that timeline. The two future survivors agreed, and prepared to head into the new future timeline where everyone is still alive. Bulma teased the two saying that her future self will soon become a grandmother (much to their embarrassment).
Future Trunks and Future Mai waved their goodbyes, but before they could board the time machine, Future Trunks is suddenly attacked by Vegeta (who was testing his future son's newfound power, and was proud as Future Trunks blocked his attack). As they were about to disappear into the new timeline, Future Trunks is greeted by Piccolo and Gohan (the latter's presence causes Future Trunks to tearfully reminisce his memories with Future Gohan, before Gohan's optimistic words caused him to cheer up and look forward to seeing everyone again in the new timeline).
In the manga side story after the "Future" Trunks Saga, Gohan talks with Bulma after Trunks left and revealed that he was actually wanting to go into the future with them just to visit Future Bulma and see what it was like in the new future world they were going to. Bulma tells Gohan that he still can and that she actually made copies of the time machine and can make one for him to go and visit him. However unknown to Bulma and Gohan, Future Trunks’ original plan was that he was simply going to stay in the present world and him going back into a different future was actually what changed his mind after speaking with Gohan.
Universe Survival Saga
Main article: Universe Survival Saga Later in the manga, when the Tournament of Power was soon to begin, Goku voiced his dismay that Future Trunks had already left, hoping to have recruited him to Team Universe 7.
Super Android 13!
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!
Future Trunks went over with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi to a swimsuit runway, although he ended up regretting the decision when they had to wait until the building opened with Krillin, Oolong, and Master Roshi attempting to sneak a peek in the dressing rooms. He and his group later rendezvoused with Goku, Gohan, and Chi-Chi at the tower restaurant, and explained that they discovered that they mixed up the dates, that the swimsuit runway was not until a few weeks from that day. However, Future Trunks and the various Z Fighters evacuated the people at the restaurant after Android 14 and Android 15 bombed the area from underneath in order to assassinate Goku. Future Trunks later followed Goku to an Arctic area in order to defend Goku from the Androids, with him growing concerned when Goku is getting exhausted from the fight. However, the fight is briefly interrupted when Android 13 arrives, to which after an exchange of words, he fights against Android 14 and Android 15, whereas Android 13 fights Goku. He is having a difficult time fighting them two against one and, when he tries to cut down Android 15, is knocked away by Android 14. Eventually, Vegeta joins the fray and fights Android 15, with Future Trunks focusing on Android 14. Going Super Saiyan, he manages to slice Android 14 horizontally in half, although it has a delayed effect. He later attempts to save Vegeta when the latter is about to be slammed down into the ground by Super Android 13, only to be blasted away. He then attempts a last ditch effort to cut down Super Android 13 as well as distract him while Goku powers the Spirit Bomb, but 13 managed to shatter his sword and knock him out. After Super Android 13 is destroyed for good, Future Trunks is then hospitalized with other Z Fighters.
Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
"If we let this dirt bag live, he'll continue to destroy the entire universe!"
He was attending the hanami picnic, although he was shocked that anyone could think that Krillin's abysmal attempts at singing Karaoke was "good." Afterwards, when Paragus arrived on Earth and requested that Vegeta become the king of the revived Saiyan Empire, and help the South Area by defeating the Legendary Super Saiyan, Future Trunks expressed suspicion, trying to tell Vegeta not to go. When his attempts to tell Vegeta of his suspicions fell on deaf ears, he went over with Paragus to New Planet Vegeta, namely to further attempt to convince his father to not do it. However, his attempt to do so fell on deaf ears. While scouting with Krillin and Gohan the city on New Planet Vegeta, they discover that the "city" was actually a bunch of ruins, and that Paragus was utilizing slave labor to create the palace, and stopped some of the guards from whipping a Shamoian slave. Afterwards, they feed the famished Shamoians and try to garner information. They learn that the Legendary Super Saiyan does indeed exist, and that he was responsible for the destruction of their home planet.
The next morning, Future Trunks, Gohan, Krillin, and Master Roshi revealed to Vegeta of Paragus' deception about New Planet Vegeta, bringing the slaves to confirm it. This, along with Broly, Paragus' son, being exposed as being the Legendary Super Saiyan afterwards, forces Paragus to confess that it was all a set up. When Broly transformed into his Legendary Super Saiyan form, Future Trunks is amazed by his fearsome power but snaps back to reality when he attacks.
Future Trunks then attempts to aid Goku and Gohan shortly after Broly went berserk. He quickly makes it to their destination and transforms into his Super Saiyan Second Grade form but even still they are no match for him. After Broly demonstrated his ruthless by destroying the slave's home planet, Future Trunks stated if they allowed Broly to live then he'd continue to destroy the whole universe. He and the others continued their battle but to no avail as Future Trunks was soon knocked into a wall, and later smashed into a railway by Broly. He was then given Senzu Beans by an arriving Piccolo, and attempted alongside Gohan to fire a double Masenko at Broly, only for him to brush off the attack and fall down the building unscathed. He is then knocked back by Broly alongside Gohan by a clothesline while Broly kicks Piccolo up into the air and blasts him away.
Future Trunks then cheers for Vegeta when the latter gets out of his shock and fights Broly, only to immediately rush to his father's aid and be punched upside the head by Broly. He then transfers most of his ki energy to Goku along with the other Z Fighters in a last ditch effort to stop Broly which is successful. He and the others barely manage to escape from New Planet Vegeta's destruction from Comet Camori.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound
"Watch where you point that thing, I might get the wrong idea. We may be fighting, but this is still a tournament, no killing allowed!"
Future Trunks participated in X.S. Cash's Intergalactic World Tournament along with Gohan, Krillin, Tien and Piccolo. While talking to Chi-Chi, Bulma states that Future Trunks came back to the past one last time to enter the World Tournament. He fights Tien in the semi-finals and defeats him after transforming into a Super Saiyan. Future Trunks advances to the finals of the tournament along with a sumo-wrestler named Doskoi, Gohan, and Krillin. In his Battle Zone, he engages in a fight with a mysterious alien named Kogu. Future Trunks is almost defeated by the swordsman, until he transforms into a Super Saiyan and kills him with a punch to the gut.
Future Trunks is then knocked out by a kick from a mysterious warrior, later revealed to be Bojack. He wakes up while Gohan is facing Bojack's henchmen and joins the fight after Piccolo was defeated. He is almost killed by Bujin and Bido, but is saved by his father. Future Trunks fights Zangya while Vegeta is being pummeled by a transformed Bojack, and is defeated by the latter soon after with a energy sphere to the stomach. After the battle, Future Trunks appears in the hospital with the other Z Fighters in the epilogue of the movie.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’
Future Trunks is referenced several times in this movie. First he appears in flashback when he is shown killing Mecha Frieza, when Sorbet is about to revive Frieza. When Frieza is revived, he announces to his soldiers that he will not be satisfied until Goku and Future Trunks have both been killed, and Sorbet informs Frieza that they haven't been able to locate Future Trunks in all this time. Frieza even notes the absence of Future Trunks between the Z Fighters when the battle starts.
Resurrection ‘F’ - Future Trunks Special Edition depicts scenes prior to the "Future" Trunks Saga of Dragon Ball Super. While he was securing fuel canisters for his time machine, Future Trunks reads over Legend of Dragon Ball. He noticed that Black was able to sense his ki so he began to flee undercover. While cautiously running from Black, Future Trunks is found. He quickly attempted to flee again but Black managed to hit him with a Black Power Ball, destroying the extra fuel cells he had grabbed. While Future Trunks is on the ground, Black declared it was over for Future Trunks as he prepared to kill him. Luckily, Future Mai saved Future Trunks by throwing a flash grenade at Black. While Black is blinded, Future Trunks and Future Mai quickly escaped. While hiding, Future Trunks thanked Future Mai for saving him but Future Mai questioned if he died, who would be able to save them, and Future Trunks then apologized.
Other Dragon Ball stories
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai Due to Janemba messing with the dimensions in the main timeline, Future Trunks finds a strange dimensional portal in his timeline when he is tracking down an energy signature similar to Gohan's Kamehameha. Future Trunks steps through and emerges in the main timeline once again. Before he realizes where he is, he sees Android 18, mistakes her for her future counterpart, and attacks her. Eventually, he realizes that he is in the present timeline and stops attacking Android 18. After he makes sure she is not evil, she explains the current events to him. When Future Trunks heads to find Goku and Vegeta, he is confronted by Gotenks who believes he is a fake created by Janemba. The two begin fighting, but Future Trunks soon wonders why Gotenks attacked him and the fusion then comes undone. Future Trunks discusses things with Goten, Trunks, and Pikkon, and Kid Trunks considers Future Trunks as a "big brother". Future Trunks and the others head to look for Vegeta, who has been possessed, and they follow the largest evil energy signature they can find, but come across Frieza instead. Future Trunks fights Frieza, but Frieza reveals that he was merely distracting them so he could steal the Dragon Balls and the Dragon Radar, and he then escapes.
When Future Trunks and Kid Trunks meet Yamcha and the time displaced Teen Gohan, Future Trunks and Teen Gohan have a friendly fight. Future Trunks and Teen Gohan head off, eventually finding Majin Vegeta who has just been defeated by Ultimate Gohan. Future Trunks eventually witnesses Goku's battle with the Janemba possessed Vegeta, and Vegeta being freed from Janemba's influence. While Vegeta recovers and Goku prepares a Spirit Bomb, Future Trunks holds Janemba off. Future Trunks cannot harm Janemba, but he holds him off long enough for the Spirit Bomb to be prepared. Goku throws the attack, but Janemba holds Future Trunks hostage. Vegeta pushes Janemba and Future Trunks out of the way but is hit by the Spirit Bomb, absorbing its energy. Future Trunks watches the battle between Janemba and the newly powered up Vegeta, and congratulates his father on his victory Janemba.
Future Trunks, Goten, and Kid Trunks head out to locate the Dragon Balls, and finally manage to collect the last one. Future Trunks gives Kid Trunks his watch so that they will always be linked, even when they are in separate timelines. In return, Kid Trunks gives Future Trunks a Time Machine that Bulma had given him so that Future Trunks can go back to his time. Cell arrives and reveals that he wants the Time Machine for himself so he can have endless worlds to destroy. Future Trunks turns Super Saiyan and fights Super Perfect Cell, who believes that Future Trunks will be no match for him. Future Trunks is unable to defeat Super Perfect Cell, and so calls on Kid Trunks and Goten. The three fire a combined Kamehameha at the Bio-Android, who then attempts to escape, but Goten and Trunks fuse into Gotenks and defeat Cell with one attack. Future Trunks, Kid Trunks, and Goten meet with the others and summon Shenron. Piccolo uses one wish in order send Teen Gohan back to his body in the past and, at the same time, Future Trunks uses his new Time Machine to head back to his timeline.
Shin Budokai - Another Road
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
It has been some years since the defeat of Cell, Future Trunks has entered the World Martial Arts Tournament and meets Future Shin and Future Kibito, and has to hold off Future Babidi and Future Dabura, but he knew he could not do it alone. So he goes back into the past and brings Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo, Android 18, Goten, and Trunks to help him stop Future Majin Buu. With Future Broly, Future Cooler and Future Janemba also on the loose, the Z Fighters make Future Dende the future world's new guardian. Gohan also brought the now alive Future Gohan, as well as Future Pikkon and Future Bardock to help them. When Babidi steals the Dragon Balls, Future Mr. Satan stole his wish from conquering the universe and Babidi lashes at Future Mr. Satan, but Future Super Buu takes the blow, and he turns Babidi into candy and eats him. He becomes his pure form after he performs this move. The Z Fighters defeat him and the future world is back to peace once more.
Dragon Ball Heroes
Prison Planet Saga
Main article: Prison Planet Saga
- Prison Planet Gathering Saga
Sometime after the "Future" Trunks Saga, Future Trunks travels back to the present timeline to train with Goku and Vegeta. Not long after coming back to the present, Future Trunks encounters and battles Fu. Future Trunks ends up imprisoned by him on the Prison Planet but is broken out by Cooler where they soon after battle Bojack for possession of a Special Dragon Ball.
Future Trunks later appeared to protect Future Mai from Cunber's ki blast and received his sword and clothes from her. He then prepares to fight off Cunber in order to buy time for Goku and Vegeta to fuse into Vegito, but is easily choked out by the Evil Saiyan.
- Prison Planet Awakening Saga
In the manga, he along with Golden Cooler, follow Majin Ozotto through a portal that he uses to travel to the Chaos Area of the Prison Planet. There they confront the Ghost Warriors, Kid Buu, Bojack, Lord Slug, Turles, and Cell created by a machine belonging to Hatchiyack. When Ozotto gets Hatchiyack to destroy the machine and gathers his Six-Star Special Dragon Ball, Ozotto uses his teleportation abilities to send Trunks and Cooler back to the Green Area.
When the Prison Planet is on the verge of destruction due to the battles involving Cunber. Future Trunks along with the others are teleported back to Beerus' Planet thanks to Goku: Xeno's Instant Transmission where they each say their farewells.
Universal Conflict Saga
Main article: Universal Conflict Saga
- Universal Conflict: Dawn of War Saga
Fuwa, the Supreme Kai from Universe 6, appears on Beerus' Planet and tells Future Trunks and his father of an unknown enemy who has appeared in his Universe and began a war. Future Trunks and Vegeta travel to Sadala to assist Hit, Cabba, Kale, and Caulifla in their battle against the twins Oren and Kamin. Removing his sword from his sheathe and transforming into a Super Saiyan, he engages them in battle.
The two artificial lifeforms enter into the wounds of Kale and Caulifla and possess them, after the Tuffleized Caulifla takes down Hit, she goes after Future Trunks, who asks his father what they should do. When Hit joins back into the battle, he and Future Trunks buy time for Vegeta who powers up a Final Flash which he prepares to fire at the Tuffleized Saiyans. They leave their host before the blast lands on them though it still hits Future Trunks and the others. He along with every one else is then pinned to the ground by a gravitational force belonging to Hearts. When Fused Zamasu appears, Future Trunks is surprised to see him still alive.
- Hearts vs. Jiren! Fierce Battles in Universe 11 Saga
Future Trunks and Vegeta then head to Universe 11 only for his father to be possessed by Oren shortly afterwards. Angry over his father being controlled, Future Trunks transforms into a Super Saiyan and charges Oren but is quickly blasted into the sea when he uses Smash Break on him. Future Trunks returns not long after to take a swipe at Fused Zamasu but misses. He is then taken down for a second time by Oren who prepares to kill him but thanks to the timely arrival of Goku he is saved. Trunks watches as Goku battles both Kamin and Oren. When Hearts uses Lagss power to attack Goku, Trunks attempts to help him but is intercepted by Kamioren, the merger of Kamin and Oren. Trunks is told by his father to get back as he proceeds to watch him battle the merged warrior, amazed when his father evolves even further into Super Saiyan God SS Evolved.
When Lagss attempts to finish off Goku, Trunks saves him and fights her in his place. After charging through her attack he fires a large energy blast at her. Lagss counters with an attack from below ground but Goku pushes him out of the way and takes the attack instead. Soon after he is pinned to the ground by Hearts along with everyone else but Shin teleports into the area and thanks to both he and Goku's Instant Transmission, they are able to get away safely.
He arrives in Universe 7 along with the rest of the Dragon Team when the Core Area Warriors show up. Transforming into a Super Saiyan, Trunks rushes to engage in battle with Fused Zamasu. He asks him why after previously trying to exterminate all mortals before, would he now team up with one but Zamasu refuses to answer him. Shortly after, he and his father join Piccolo and Android 17 in their fight against the newly powered up Kamioren. Despite attacking all together they have no effect on their opponent and Trunks is caught up in Kamioren's energy blast and falls to the ground and out of his Super Saiyan form.
- Manga and Anime
In the manga, during his early days of training, even as a Super Saiyan, Future Trunks was unable to defeat base Future Gohan. Right before Future Trunks heads back to warn the Z Fighters of the Android threat, it is said by Future Bulma that he has become as strong as Future Gohan was.
When Future Trunks first appears on-screen, using his Super Saiyan form, he is able to easily overpower both Mecha Frieza and King Cold. Gohan describes Super Saiyan Future Trunks as having as large a ki as Super Saiyan Goku had on Namek.
While training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Vegeta, Future Trunks achieves the level of Super Saiyan Second Grade. His strength increases drastically to the point Vegeta says that Future Trunks is only a little bit weaker than him. At this point (in the anime only), Future Trunks is able to defeat Semi-Perfect Cell just by using his regular Super Saiyan form, though in the manga he requires his Super Saiyan Second Grade state like Vegeta does. It is later revealed that Future Trunks was holding back a lot of power and is in fact stronger than Vegeta, with Krillin believing that Future Trunks could defeat Perfect Cell. In Super Saiyan Third Grade, Cell says that Future Trunks is stronger than him in his Perfect Form, but can not win because he sacrificed his speed.
Future Trunks trains again with Vegeta in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and they increase in power enough to become the only two Z Fighters capable of holding their own in a fight with a Cell Jr., using their Super Saiyan forms instead of the advanced states they previously used. By the time Future Trunks goes back to the future, he is strong enough in Super Saiyan form to easily destroy Future Android 18, Future Android 17, and Future Imperfect Cell.
Future Trunks became much stronger thanks to continuous training and extra guidance under Future Shin, able to defeat Future Dabura as a Super Saiyan in the anime. In the manga, after Future Shin unlocked his dormant power with the ritual, Future Trunks became able to effortlessly wield the Z Sword. While only able to hold his own against Future Dabura as a Super Saiyan, he completely overwhelmed Future Dabura upon achieving Super Saiyan 2.
Later, when Future Trunks arrived in the past Goku and Vegeta assumed that it was Majin Buu who had defeated him. Future Trunks was shown to be able to fight on par with Super Saiyan 2 Goku in the same form - causing Goku to note that Future Trunks even is stronger than Gohan was at the Cell Games in the manga. In the anime, while he was no match for Super Saiyan 3 Goku, the older Saiyan along with Beerus and Whis are highly impressed with the power Future Trunks has. In the manga, he revealed he could enhance his Super Saiyan 2 power to practically equal Goku's Super Saiyan 3 power.
Thanks to training in the past, Future Trunks' power is greatly increased. Future Trunks as a Super Saiyan 2, proves strong enough to take on Future Zamasu, who was unable to land a single blow in return and would have won the fight had it not been for Future Zamasu's immortality. In the manga, Goku states that strength-wise Future Zamasu is weaker than Future Trunks. Future Trunks was also able to best Goku Black in a sword duel, send him flying back with an attack, and also just survive Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black's fully charged Black Kamehameha.
In the anime, back in the present, in his base state he spars with Super Saiyan Trunks briefly. While Trunks appears to be marked from the battle and exhausted, Future Trunks showed no sign of exhaustion at all.
After achieving Super Saiyan Rage, the power this new form puts out startles both Black and Future Zamasu and allows Future Trunks to begin to gain the upper hand against Super Saiyan Rosé Black, prompting Future Zamasu to interfere. Future Trunks continues to battle both of them at exactly the same time. In the manga, the powered up Super Saiyan 2 Future Trunks manages to hold off Black long enough for Goku and Vegeta to return to the future, with Black powering up to his Super Saiyan Rosé form to take down Trunks - though Future Trunks is unable to fight back.
In his third match against the two (after isolating the pair), Super Saiyan Rage Future Trunks held his own against Black's Super Saiyan Rosé form and eventually pushed him back with a charged up Galick Gun. Considering his remaining energy after dealing with Black, Future Trunks fought evenly and managed to get the upper hand against Future Zamasu using just his Super Saiyan 2 form, and was confident that his next technique can obliterate the immortal being, however he was easily defeated by a flank attack from Black - who revealed that Future Trunks' previous all out attack on him would at most leave a bruise.
During the fight with the Fused Zamasu, upon seeing his father injured, he powers up further with Shin commenting on his huge increase in power but still wasn't able to take him on. He engaged in a beam struggle with Fused Zamasu, and with Vegeta's assistance, they were able to overcome him.
During the final battle after Vegito's fusion broke, Future Trunks creates a newly minted ki blade. With his new blade, Future Trunks lashes out at Fused Zamasu with new filled hope while slowly and unknowingly gathering the ki from all the remaining people left on Earth. After Goku and Vegeta give all their remaining power to Future Trunks, he absorbs this power into himself, transforming his blade into a Sword of Hope. With this new blade and power, Future Trunks manages to shatter Fused Zamasu's ki blade and slices him in half. Before Future Trunks departs to the future, Vegeta says he's proud that his son is now at such a great level of power and Goku states that Trunks is strong enough now to defeat any enemy.
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes
During the Prison Planet Saga, in the anime opening, base Future Trunks is shown to be on par with base Goku and Vegeta in their three way sparring match. In the game, while in his base form and wearing ki-sealing handcuffs Future Trunks is able to defeat final form Cooler.
In the anime, even while wearing ki-sealing handcuffs, Super Saiyan Future Trunks is able to hold an advantage over Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku in battle. Later Super Saiyan Future Trunks is easily defeated by Cunber. Later, alongside his father, Super Saiyan Future Trunks was able to pressure Oren and Kamin, who previously began overwhelming Hit, Cabba, Caulifla, and Kale.
In the manga, Super Saiyan Future Trunks appears to have an advantage over Bojack, however he is almost defeated due to dropping his guard after assuming he killed him. Base Future Trunks is able to briefly hold off restrained Cunber's shadows hands and afterwards Super Saiyan Future Trunks is able to easily take down the Ghost Warrior Kid Buu while also fighting Ghost Warriors Turles and Lord Slug. However, he is unable to put them down for good as the three Ghost Warriors regenerate via Destron Gas.
In Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, Future Trunks (along with Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, and Vegeta) was no match at all against Broly's power. However, the energy that he, Gohan, Piccolo, and Vegeta contributed helped Goku gain more than enough power to defeat the maniacal Saiyan.
In Bojack Unbound, Future Trunks in his base form was able to handle Tien Shinhan while holding back (as Tien wanted to give the fans a good show), before he overpowers him by turning Super Saiyan; during the fight with Kogu, Trunks held his own while on the defensive until he was forced to transform and killed the rogue swordsman. He was easily ambushed and fell unconscious by Bojack himself. Later in the movie after regaining consciousness, he fights Zangya on equal footing, until he was ensnared by Bujin's Psychic Needles, and was later defeated by Bojack's Dirty Criminal technique, in which he does survive (an attack that was implied to kill him after Bojack says "die now").
In Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, Future Trunks easily kills a few demons with a powerful icicle shaped as a blade. Later, he assisted the others in their fight against the Ghost Warrior's (which consisted of Frieza, Turles, Slug, and Cooler); his opponent was Frieza. During the final battle against Hatchiyak, he proved far too powerful for them, until they combined their strongest attacks in a beam struggle against the Tuffle (with Future Trunks performing the Burning Attack).
- Video games
In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road, Future Trunks is able to defeat Future Dabura, and later states that he could destroy Future Good Buu, showing that he had become far more powerful than during the Cell Games. During the game, Trunks was capable of defeating not only Future Dabura, but perfect puppets of Final form Frieza and Perfect Cell in his base form.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Trunks: Xeno's power is shown to have drastically improved over his last appearance. Upon meeting the Future Warrior for the first time Trunks takes all of his attacks and shows no signs of damage or fatigue. Later with the Future Warrior assisting him, Super Saiyan Trunks was able to fight on par with Mira (suppressed), a being whom was confident enough to believe he could beat Super Saiyan 3 Goku and Majin Buu at the same time easily even while suppressing his power. Later while working with the Future Warrior they were able hold off Beerus and Whis - who were testing their power. Shortly after, while he was possessed by Demigra not only was he able to briefly fight the Future Warrior on his own, but he was also able to resist Demigra's control.
Trunks: Xeno has greatly improved in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. In The Ginyu Force Strikes Saga, Captain Ginyu (in Trunks: Xeno's body) noted a very high level of power and decided that his body was worth keeping. In The Galactic Emperor Saga, Trunks: Xeno (in his base form) and the new Future Warrior were able to defeat Lord Slug and Turles (who were powered up from the Demon Realm enhanced-Fruit of the Tree of Might). During the Android Warfare Saga,, Trunks: Xeno was able to help the Future Warrior fight off the Meta Coolers. In the A Desperate Future Saga, he, Future Gohan, and the 2nd Future Warrior were able to simultaneously stand against Mira and overpowered him with their combined might enhanced by their fighting spirit. In the Masked Saiyan Saga Trunks: Xeno and the 2nd Future Warrior were able to fight and beat both the Masked Saiyan and Mira, then afterwards the previous 1st Future Warrior (under Towa's control), and Towa simultaneously. However during the Warrior from the Demon World Saga, he is easily subdued by Mira who had developed a fighting spirit of his own and was enhanced by the Supervillain power up. In the Unknown History Saga, Trunks: Xeno was able to help Future Gohan to finally defeat both Android 17 and 18. In the Epilogue, Trunks: Xeno believes he is stronger than the two Future Warriors as he is more experienced and has been a Time Patroller longer than either of them but Old Kai refutes his boosting noting that being more experienced wouldn't necessarily make him the better fighter.
The Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game states that Future Trunks has a power level of 7,000,000 in base form and 17,500,000 as a Super Saiyan during the Trunks Saga.
- Flight – The ability to fly using ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Ki Sense – An ability that allows the user to sense ki and power levels.
- Godly Ki Sense - An ability that allows the user to sense ki and power levels of deities.
- Saiyan Power - A Saiyan genetic trait that allows their performance to continually increase against adversity, either by recovering from a near death experience, or by fighting a strong opponent.
- Healing - In the manga, due to being a disciple of Future Shin, Future Trunks possess the ability to heal people - a fact revealed to him by Shin and Gowasu. Prior to knowing this, Future Trunks unknowingly kept Future Mai and Gowasu alive on the occasions where they were nearly dead thanks to his healing ability.
- Mimicry — The coveted ability to copy another fighter's technique after seeing it used only once.
- Saiyan Rapid Fire – It is a barrage of blue or yellow Ki Blasts fired from both hands together. Named in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game.
- Continuous Energy Bullet - A combination of many energy waves, much more powerful than the average ki blasts, and fired at a very rapid rate. Named Energy Burst in the Budokai and Xenoverse series.
- Burning Attack – Future Trunks performs a series of rapid arm movements before placing his palms forward, with the thumbs and index fingers touching each other to form a diamond shape. Then, he fires an energy sphere from his palms towards the opponent.
- God Breaker – Trunks extends his hand forward and fires a yellow energy wave at his opponent, inflicting a large amount of damage.
- Buster Cannon – Future Trunks draws his hands back down to his sides and charges two blue energy spheres in his hands. Then, he combines them together in front of him to fire the energy wave at the opponent, inflicting a great amount of damage.
- Super Buster Cannon – First, Future Trunks draws his hands back and gathers up energy. Then, he thrusts his arms forward and discharges a massive golden-yellow beam of energy towards his opponent.
- Burning Storm – First, Future Trunks places his hands forward at a 90 degree angle and charges a blue energy sphere. Then, he fires a barrage of energy spheres from the energy sphere at the opponent, inflicting a great deal of damage.
- Change the Future – First, Future Trunks says "This is for Gohan!" and charges at the opponent, but stops right in front of them with his hand over their face. Then, he charges a yellow energy sphere and fires it in the form of a large blast of energy against the opponent, inflicting a great amount of damage.
- Finish Buster – First, Trunks raises his hands into the sky and charges a large energy sphere. Then, he swings his hands down and fires the ball of energy at the opponent, inflicting a huge amount of damage.
- Heat Dome Attack – First, Future Trunks throws his opponent up in the air and points both his hands up in the air. Then, he charges a large dome of yellow energy around himself. From this energy dome expels a gigantic Finish Buster up at the opponent, inflicting an enormous amount of damage.
- Solar Flare - The user places their hands close to the center of their face with the fingers spread toward their eyes. The user then calls out the name of the technique, which provokes a white light to fire out and blind everything watching except the user, since they are projecting the light. Future Trunks reveals he learned the technique from Future Gohan.
- High Strike – A sword slash attack. Named in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game.
- Deadly Impact – Future Trunks feels immersed in a very great fury, but which can be controlled, and then focus all his physical strength and spiritual in a single stroke that is struck through his fist against the opponent, that at the conclusion ends up having his opponent's gut impaled by Trunk's attack arm. Similar to Quiet Rage, the environment also turns very dark temporarily as he does so. Named in the Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game.
- Shining Sword Attack – Future Trunks flies up and comes down to vertically slash the opponent with his sword. Next, he slashes the opponent multiple times, chopping them up into bits. Finally, Future Trunks draws his hand back and brings it forward to fire a yellow energy wave at what's left of the opponent, inflicting a high amount of damage.
- Rapid Sword Stream – First, Future Trunks says "Excuse me" as he slashes the opponent with his sword. Then, he slashes the opponent multiple times in rapid motions. Last, Future Trunks slashes the opponent with a large amount of force, inflicting a great amount of damage.
- Burning Breaker – First, Future Trunks says, "See if you can take this!" as he charges at the opponent to punch them in their stomach and sends them up into the air. Then, he flies up to the opponent and attacks them with an elbow strike to their stomach followed by a powerful barrage of punches. Finally, Future Trunks punches the opponent twice before front flipping and double axe-handle punching them down to the ground, inflicting a huge amount of damage.
- Blazing Rush – As he shouts "I will defeat you!", Future Trunks punches the opponent in the stomach, knees and roundhouse kicks them, and then knocks them up into the air with a backflip kick. Future Trunks then appears in the air behind the opponent and double axe-handles them down to the ground, inflicting a huge amount of damage.
- Maximum Blow – He punches the opponent in the face with all of his might, then punches the opponent twice to send them flying.
- Another End – Future Trunks charges at the opponent and kicks them away. Then, he jumps up into the air and fires a God Breaker down at the opponent, inflicting a high amount of damage.
- Power up to the Very Limit - A technique which allows the user to instantly regain all of their ki.
- Inexperienced Power Up – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his Super Saiyan Third Grade form in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Masenko – The attack is performed by the user placing both hands above the head with the palms facing the target and one hand in front of the other with the fingers going in opposite directions. When the user thrusts their hands forward, they call the name and fire a beam of yellow, white, or orange energy. It is stated in Future Gohan's data file in Budokai Tenkaichi 3 that he taught Trunks the Masenko. Trunks has the Masenko as one of his Super Attacks in all of his forms in Raging Blast, but he uses this only in his Base (Sword) form in Shin Budokai - Another Road.
- Final Flash - The Final Flash is formed by drawing both hands back while gathering ki. Then, the user place bottom of their palms together, forming a sphere of energy that emits sporadic bolts of electric yellow ki that shoot out in all direction. Finally, the user discharges a massive golden beam of energy with electric ki streaming around it towards his opponent.
- Final Explosion - To begin the attack, Future Trunks gathers his life force and converts it into energy, creating flame-like ribbons of energy that spiral around his body. Both his and his opponent's bodies begin emitting small flecks of golden light, resembling dust blowing off of their skin.
- Galick Gun - To utilize it, Future Trunks curls his fingers and places both his hands together at chest level facing the same direction (so that the palm of one hand is on the back of the other). Then, once enough ki is gathered, he thrusts both hands forward to fire a powerful blast of energy. The result is a powerful, huge, fuchsia-colored ki beam that emanates from his hands and body. It is capable of destroying large planets if enough power is put into it.
- Super Galick Gun - To perform the Super Galick Gun, the user places his hands up to his side and forms energy between his hands, the same as the normal version. Then, he fires a Galick Gun that is bigger and much more powerful than the normal version, inflicting a huge amount of damage.
- Father-Son Galick Gun - A combined technique formed when the two users stood side by side and both fired a Galick Gun together. They were close enough that the two blasts combined into one giant blast.
- Fighting Pose - While trying to learn Evil Containment Wave, Future Trunks performs various fighting poses.
- Justice Finishing Pose - One of the poses performed by Future Trunks while learning the Evil Containment Wave.
- Evil Containment Wave - A technique designed to seal demons away by sucking them into a container with a special "Demon Seal" ofuda on it. The move requires huge stamina and endurance to perform, if user does not have enough life force they will die soon after performing it, despite the success of the technique.
- Light Sword - Future Trunks uses this technique by putting golden energy over his broken sword in the shape of an actual sword.
- Give Me Energy! - By gathering the energy from other beings, Trunks is able to form a Spirit Bomb.
- Spirit Bomb - Users of the Spirit Bomb gather huge amounts of energy from all chosen surrounding life forms and inanimate objects to conduct that energy into a massive sphere of astounding destructive power.
- Spirit Bomb Absorption - This technique allows a person to absorb the power of a Spirit Bomb. Once absorbed the Spirit Bomb will power-up the user.
- Sword of Hope - When the hopes and energies of everyone is gathered like a Spirit Bomb, Trunks then absorbs the power into his body — causing his Light Sword to become far larger and more powerful with his ki embedded.
- Final Hope Slash – After the creation of the Sword of Hope, Future Trunks stabs the opponent and slashes them vertically in half in order to finish them off.
- Blue Wind's Hope Punch - In the special chapter of Dragon Ball SD, Future Trunks attempts to use this attack against Gero but stops doing so.
- Power Charge – Super Trunks produces a red aura that increases his physical abilities. It is one of his Unique moves in Battle of Z.
- Rushing Combo Meteo – Trunks kicks his opponent upwards, then he dashes after them as they fly, pummeling them all the while. It is his meteor attack in Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 2 and Dragon Ball Z: Buyū Retsuden.
- Force Attack (Bakukan-ha) – Future Trunks shoots his hand out and knocks the opponent flying. Used in Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden 3.
- Rushing Combo – A four hits combo used in the Butōden series. Trunks attacks the opponent with an elbow, a punch, a kick, and finishes with an uppercut.
- Blast Attack – A dashing slide kick used in the Butōden series. In the Budokai series, it is a rush attack where Future Trunks kicks the opponent up in the air, and then he kicks and punches them down again (also used by Kid Trunks).
- Kakusan Energy Dan – Future Trunks lets out three ki blasts all at once, one hovering over the other. Used in the Butōden series, where it is also one of Kid Trunks' techniques.
- Energy Fog – Future Trunks fires five energy spheres in five different directions at the same time. Used in the Butōden series.
- Energy Jet – A ground shave energy blade used in the Butōden series. Trunks throws this ki blast down at the ground, and it travels along to ground towards the enemy. It is called Energy Zan in Super Butōden 3.
- Falling Knee Crush – A spinning wheel kick used in the Butōden series.
- Tornado Crusher – Future Trunks punches the opponent, then he flies back a bit and unleashes about 20 very quick blasts. Finally, he jumps up and kicks the opponent in the face. It is his meteor attack in Super Butōden 3.
- Step Ladder – A four hits kick combo used in Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Battle 22.
- Trunks Smash (トランクススマッシュ) – A two hits combo used in Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle. It is an electric punch, followed by a flaming kick.
- Trunks Rush (トランクスラッシュ) – A flip grapple throw used in Super Battle.
- Shining Flash (シャイニングフラッシュ) – Trunks powers up, and an aura that send the opponent up in the air appears around him. Used in Super Battle.
- Kiaitame (気合ため) – Trunks powers up, and a flaming aura appears around him. Used in Super Battle.
- Aura Saber (オーラセイバー) – Future Trunks' ultimate attack in Super Battle. This technique is similar to Goku's Spirit Shot.
- Rapid Fall Slash – A three hits attack performed after grabbing the opponent. Used in the Budokai series.
- Meteor Break – Future Trunks' High Speed Rush technique named in the Budokai series. It is very similar to Kid Trunks' Final Cannon rush.
- Kamehameha – Used alongside Trunks and Goten's Kamehameha's as part of their Friend Kamehameha to destroy Super Perfect Cell in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai.
- Garlic Buster - A team attack performed by Future Trunk sand Vegeta, where Vegeta uses a Super Big Bang Attack, Future Trunks attacks with Rapid Sword Stream and then Vegeta finishes the opponent with a Final Flash in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Super Burning Attack – A more powerful version of the Burning Attack. Used in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors.
- Sword Blast – A wave of energy channeled through his sword. Named in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II, and also used in Super Battle (named Blae Wave), the Budokai Tenkaichi series, and Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Crescent Sword – Trunks slashes with his sword to send a crescent shaped beam down to the opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Flash Saber – Trunks slashes twice with his sword, sending yellow beams of energy at his opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Rush Blade – Trunks slashes down once and sends multiple blue energy blasts up at his opponent. Used in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Buster Blade – Trunks' ultimate attack in Supersonic Warriors 2. He slashes his opponent 30 times with an advanced version of the Flash Saber, and finishes by powering his sword up and firing a final blue Sword Blast.
- Rapid Shot – An extremely fast energy sphere that deals moderate damage. Used in his Super Saiyan form in Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Lightning Sword Slash – Future Trunks swings his sword rapidly, sending waves of energy blades that hit the opponent.
- Burning Heart – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his Super Saiyan form with sword in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Finish Sign – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his Super Saiyan form with Battle Armor in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Afterimage Technique – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with sword the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Wild Sense – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with Battle Armor in the Budokai Tenkaichi series.
- Explosive Wave – One of Future Trunks' Blast 1 in his base form with Battle Armor, his Super Saiyan forms and his 3rd Grade Super Saiyan form.
- Aura Smash – Future Trunks launches himself at his enemy fist first. Used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Crescent Wave – A crescent shaped energy wave. Future Trunks can fires it horizontal with the ground, vertical, or both waves at the same time. Used in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Sword Rush - Future Trunks (Sword) Signature Attack in the Raging Blast series.
- Guard Crush - Future Trunks signature attack in the Raging Blast series.
- Break Strike – Trunks' Evasive Skill in Xenoverse series.
- Bloody Sauce – Used by Villainous Mode Future Trunks in Xenoverse.
- Rage Saucer – Used by Villainous Mode Future Trunks in Xenoverse.
- Darkness Mixer – Used by Villainous Mode Future Trunks in Xenoverse.
- Pressure Point Attack - Used in Xenoverse.
- Baked Sphere – Used in by Villainous Mode Future Trunks Xenoverse.
- Big Bang Attack - An energy sphere technique used by his father Vegeta. Used by Future Trunks' Dragon Ball Super incarnation in his Capsule Corp. Clothes 2 skillset in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
- Dual Masenko – A Super Skill used by Future Trunks' Dragon Ball Super incarnation in Xenoverse 2.
- Fusion Dance - Used in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Phantom Demon Flame Cannon S – An ability used by Future Trunks in Dragon Ball Heroes. It increases the power of Hirudegarn's Phantom Demon Flame Cannon.
- Hyper Galick Gun - Used in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Super Saiyan
In the manga, Future Trunks is already able to achieve Super Saiyan when shown training his mentor Future Gohan, making it somewhat likely he simply is able to transform naturally, as his present timeline self did; he however struggles with even Future Gohan's base state in the form, which may suggest that it was rather recently reached due to its meager power, despite his harsh training. In the TV special The History of Trunks, Future Trunks transforms for the first time after seeing his mentor Future Gohan killed at the hands of the androids in his timeline. The energy involved in the transformation causes Future Trunks' hair to stand on end and turn a golden color. His facial expression is sharpened, and the color of his eyes turns a bright emerald green. When in this state Trunks' power level increases dramatically. Even so, he always maintains his sincere, serious demeanour. He is weaker than his present counterpart as a Super Saiyan, prior to becoming Xeno/Super Trunks, due to inexperience.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, this form is called Future Super Saiyan which is depicted as a variant of the Super Saiyan Awoken Skill which is used by Future Trunks and Future Gohan (and can be obtained by the 2nd Future Warrior after completing the Unknown History Saga). In Xenoverse 2, the Future Super Saiyan form recovers ki faster than any other Super Saiyan form, though the user lacks the ability to access higher forms.
- Super Saiyan Second Grade
Main article: Super Saiyan Second Grade
After their defeat at the hands of Android 17 and Android 18, he and Vegeta underwent severe training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, during which Trunks gained the ability to take this form. When taking this form, Future Trunks' muscles swell, making his body several sizes larger than normal, and his power and speed are elevated beyond his previous Super Saiyan limits. He first used this form to fight against Semi-Perfect Cell, in an attempt to keep him from absorbing Android 18 and reaching completion. This fight scene only happened in a filler part of the anime, while in the manga, he was about to fight Semi-Perfect Cell but was knocked away by Vegeta, and when he struck Vegeta with his energy blast to repel him away in surprise, but was blinded by Cell's Solar Flare and was forced to see Cell complete himself inside a barrier when his vision returned. After witnessing Vegeta's defeat at Perfect Cell's hands, he transformed to Super Saiyan Third Grade, but lost due to his severe speed decrease. As a result, Trunks entered the Hyperbolic Time Chamber a second time to focus on increasing his strength as a regular Super Saiyan to its highest possible point.
- Super Saiyan Third Grade
Main article: Super Saiyan Third Grade
Future Trunks is usually referred to as Super Trunks while in this state. It is another form he gained while training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and he utilizes this state while fighting the recently completed Perfect Cell. In this form, Future Trunks' muscles swell even larger than in his Super Saiyan Second Grade, his hair gets spikier and larger, and his power grows immensely. In this stage, however, the heavily increased muscle-mass comes at a cost of reduced speed and mobility, and because of the massive energy required to maintain this form, it is not sustainable for long periods of time, which ultimately puts him in a life-threatening disadvantage. Future Trunks also temporarily uses this form in order to trick Vegeta in Dragon Ball Super.
- Super Saiyan 2
Main article: Super Saiyan 2
In Dragon Ball Super, Future Trunks first uses this transformation during his spar with Goku after arriving in the present timeline. He returns to use this transformation during his training with Vegeta, and later several times against Goku Black and Future Zamasu. In the anime this form is identical to his Super Saiyan form, other than having Super Saiyan 2's sparks. This is probably an animation error as Goku's Super Saiyan 2 is also seen with the same hair style as his regular Super Saiyan hair style.
In the manga, Future Trunks' hair spikes up completely as a Super Saiyan 2, and is also distinguished by lacking the two thin strands of hair that are present in the lower form. Goku notes that Future Trunks is far stronger than Gohan was previously. It is revealed that Future Trunks first achieved the form upon witnessing the death of Future Kibito at the hands of Future Dabura. This plus the dedication to rid his future world of all evil, as it has been through enough, caused Future Trunks to attain the form, which gave him enough power to overwhelm Future Dabura and destroy him along with Future Babidi with a single Burning Attack. He is never seen to use regular Super Saiyan again after achieving Super Saiyan 2.
Future Trunks originally only displayed this form in various video-games including Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle, Dragon Ball Heroes, and later in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. In Xenoverse 2, Future Trunks' Dragon Ball Super incarnation is unique in that he has a Super Saiyan 2 Awoken Skill that is not stacked with the Super Saiyan Awoken Skill.
Not wanting to settle to his limits as a Super Saiyan 2, Future Trunks displays mastery of the form, with him in the manga being able to power up so much that his strength matches Super Saiyan 3 Goku's, as noted by Vegeta. With this huge power increase, Goku was forced to momentarily become a Super Saiyan God to defeat Future Trunks with one blow. After further empowering his Super Saiyan 2 form, first through training with Vegeta, and then through rage, he became capable of holding off Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black on multiple occasions, albeit for an extremely brief period of time.
- Super Saiyan Rage
Main article: Super Saiyan Rage
"If you call it a sin, then I don't care."
In the Dragon Ball Super anime, Future Trunks achieves an extremely powerful enhancement to the Super Saiyan 2 form. This powered up state is far superior to Future Trunks' standard Super Saiyan 2 form. This state - Super Saiyan Rage - possess upward pointed hair (similar to the Trunks' Super Saiyan 2 form in the manga), electric sparks like a standard Super Saiyan 2 and a golden aura - with a blue part inside the aura. In this state Future Trunks is referred to as "Super Trunks".
Future Trunks attained this powerful transformation during his final confrontation with Goku Black and Future Zamasu, causing Trunks to awaken a new energy inside of him. When Black and Future Zamasu cruelly put the blame on him for altering history, he couldn't accept it because all he wanted to do is save everyone. This pushes Future Trunks's rage over the limit and causes him to transform into Super Saiyan Rage. He gains a much more bulky appearance during his transformation, but at the completion of this state his muscles shrink back to normal size (his footsteps crack the ground below him), his hair grows longer and much more spikier (similar to the Super Saiyan Second Grade form), he has a double gold and blue aura with lightning, and his eyes glow as his irises and pupils are no longer visible. Once fully adjusting to this power, Future Trunks' eyes return to normal and resemble the eyes of Super Saiyan Blue instead of the standard Super Saiyan forms' green. His voice is also temporarily deepened in this form, further representing his changed demeanor.
While powered up in this state, he became powerful enough to hold off both Black and Future Zamasu by himself, a feat that only Goku himself was able to manage when enraged. Goku and Vegeta are confident enough in his new power to travel back to the past temporarily, leaving him to fend for himself against the two opponents while they searched for a way to defeat them. Also, he became a lot more resilient, taking powerful blows from Black and Zamasu and able to put the duo on the defensive on many occasions. By charging up a Galick Gun, Future Trunks was able to knock Goku Black uncounsious (though it was for a short period of time).
Future Trunks also became able to sense the ki of Goku and Vegeta despite them being in their Super Saiyan Blue forms (previously while training with Vegeta, Future Trunks noted he could not sense his ki as a Super Saiyan Blue). Additionally, he displayed the ability to channel his ki through other objects, mainly using this to generate a blade of pure energy from the remains of his broken sword.
In the manga, Future Trunks does not utilize this form, and instead further empowered his strengthened Super Saiyan 2 form, first through training with Vegeta, and then through rage, allowing him to hold off Super Saiyan Rosé Goku Black on multiple occasions.
- Spirit Bomb Super Saiyan
Main article: Spirit Bomb Super Saiyan
When Super Saiyan Rage Future Trunks drew upon the power of everything still alive on the planet, he became immensely more powerful, gaining an aura of light blue energy similar to the Spirit Bomb. His sword also turned into the Sword of Hope - a white sword with light blue edges, larger in size and in the shape of a greatsword. This power was enough to slay Fused Zamasu.
Future Trunks can use this state in Xenoverse 2 by transforming into Super Saiyan 2, and then Sword of Hope.
- Super Saiyan 3
Main article: Super Saiyan 3
Future Trunks achieves this transformation in Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced since the third mission of the original series (M3). In this form, his teen and adolescent versions retain his two long and thin bangs.
- Villainous Mode
Main article: Villainous Mode
In the finale of Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Demigra possess Future Trunks in order to have him fight against the Future Warrior. When fought in game Future Trunks also has Villainous Mode active, however when playable he lacks this additional form. Additionally, when fought during the story he lacks the purple shade he possess otherwise. While Xeno Trunks has no control over his body in this form as he is being controlled by Demigra, he is capable of resisting it mentally as he encourages the Future Warrior to keep on attacking him to dispel Demigra's hold over him.
- Ginyu's Body
Main article: Body Change
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Future Trunks has his body stolen by Captain Ginyu while he was trailing him to find Towa and Mira in Age 762. Due to his blunder, history is altered so that when Goku first encounters Ginyu, he is in Trunks body. Eventually Future Trunks in Ginyu's body joins the fight against Ginyu and Jeice. With the help of Goku and the Future Warrior, Ginyu is forced to attempt to switch bodies with Goku, only for Trunks to jump in the way allowing him to return to his body. Ginyu's Body also appears as an alternate skin/skillset for Future Trunks.
- Super Saiyan Blue
Main article: Super Saiyan Blue In the Goku Black and Zamasu bonus story of Dragon Ball Fusions, Goku and Vegeta decide to train Future Trunks and Tekka's team so they can obtain Super Saiyan Blue. While not shown in the form, Future Trunks notes after the training that he has obtained the form and with it will be able to defeat Goku Black.
- Sword of Hope
Main article: Sword of Hope
In Xenoverse 2 as part of the Super Pack 4 DLC, the Sword of Hope appears as a Ultimate Skill that functions like a transformation for Future Trunks. Future Trunks can use this form on its own, or in combination with his Super Saiyan 2 Awoken Skill.
- Trunks (Ball)
Main article: Transfiguration Beam In Xenoverse 2 during the Hero Colosseum, when Future Warrior and Trunks: Xeno approach Majin Buu while promoting the Hero Colosseum for Bulma, trying to get him to figure battle with the Future Warrior but a stubborn Buu wants to play ball and turns Trunks: Xeno into a Ball using his Transfiguration Beam. In this form is called Trunks (Ball) and ironically is identical to his younger counterpart's ball that Demigra's Mirage used to anger Beerus in Xenoverse complete with a Capsule Corp. C.C. logo. Like Candy Vegito, Trunks (Ball) retains his ability to speak through telepathy and has some control over his ball form though in his case he bounces around constantly. Additionally he is vulnerable to being kicked as shown by the Future Warrior who can chose to kick Trunks (Ball) as their reaction to Trunks: Xeno being turned into a ball. Since only Buu can restore him to normal Trunks (Ball) convinces Buu to have a figure battle with the Future Warrior and if he doesn't like it Trunks (Ball) will play whatever he wants. The Future Warrior defeats Buu who enjoys the game and wants to play more as it is more fun than playing ball. Buu returns Trunks (Ball) back into Trunks: Xeno.
- Future Gohanks
Main article: Future Gohanks
Future Trunks can fuse through the Fusion Dance with his master Future Gohan, resulting in Future Gohanks. He retains Future Gohan's scars on his face as well as Future Trunks' sword. His hair is predominantly black in the upper part of his head, but he also has lilac-colored bangs along the lower part of his head. Future Gohanks appears in Dragon Ball Fusions and is a playable character in Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced in the ninth mission of the God Mission series (GDM9).
Main article: EX Trunks
Future Trunks can fuse with his present timeline counterpart in Dragon Ball Fusions, the fusion takes most of its appearance from Future Trunks with the clothes and even retains his sword but also has blue and purple hair (which is a mixture of Kid Trunks and Dragon Ball Super Future Trunks' hair colors).
Main article: Vegenks
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Future Trunks can fuse with his father thanks to the Metamo-Rings. The fusion takes most of his look from Vegeta, but he also has Future Trunks' coat and jeans. His hair looks like Vegeta's, but also resembles Trunks' purple hair.
Main article: Jacunks
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Future Trunks can fuse with Jaco utilizing the Metamo-Rings.
Main article: Tanks
The EX-Fusion of Future Trunks and Tapion. He resembles Future Trunks from Dragon Ball Z in appearance as he wears Future Trunks' original Capsule Corporation Jacket, though with Tapion's mohawk hairstyle and Trunks' purple hair color.
- Future Trunks' sword - Future Trunks' primary weapon. It is the future timeline's Brave Sword according to some sources.
- Capsule - Capsules for the purpose of making objects compact and easy to transport.
- Time Machine - A machine built by Future Bulma that could be used to go to the future or to the past. It can be converted into capsule when not in use.
- Refrigerator - A small Capsule Corp. refrigerator contained in one of the Capsule cases owned by Future Trunks which he uses during the Trunks Saga to provide beverages for himself and the others to drink while waiting for Goku to arrive.
- Senzu Bean - Mystical beans with immense rejuvenation properties.
- Z Sword - The Future Z Sword, utilized by Future Trunks when he trained with Future Shin, but broken in the fight with Future Dabura. Its destruction while under the effects of Dabura's Stone Spit lead to the death of Future Old Kai who had been sealed within the Z Sword centuries earlier by Future Beerus.
- Potara - Earrings worn by Supreme Kais and their apprentices. Despite being worn so casually, they have incredible properties, allowing two individuals to fuse or permitting the wearer to use the Time Rings.
- Ki-Sealing Handcuffs - When taken to the Prison Planet, Future Trunks is forcefully given ki-sealing handcuffs. With Future Mai's help he removes them.
- Japanese sword - A very long and very powerful sword usable by Future Trunks in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Laser Sword - A very powerful sword usable by Future Trunks in Super Dragon Ball Z.
- Scroll of Eternity - Special scrolls that contain the record of various time periods and eras in the history of the universe. Can also be used to travel through time safely in order to fix alterations made to recorded history. Used by Trunks: Xeno in the Xenoverse series.
Appearances in other media
In the crossover manga Cross Epoch, Future Trunks appears aboard Captain Vegeta's flying ship as a member of the Vegeta Sky Pirates. He is paired with Usopp, and when his team chooses to attend Shenron's tea party, he mentions that they were originally supposed to battle with the Dr. Gero Sky Pirates.
Video Game Appearances
List of characters killed by Future Trunks
Main article: Future Trunks/Gallery
- Like the rest of his family (apart from Vegeta), Trunks' name is a pun on an undergarment.
- Composer for the Funimation dub of the Dragon Ball Z, Bruce Faulconer, stated on his website that Future Trunks was his favorite Dragon Ball character. American voice actor Christopher Sabat has agreed, saying that apart from Vegeta, Trunks is his favorite character from the series. He has liked how his character is "lone survivor of the apocalypse, son of the most angry and the most headstrong characters." He additionally liked Future Trunks' fights, such as the one in which he easily killed Frieza and his father.
- Despite having been officially stated that Goku was the one who defeated Frieza and King Cold in Cell's and Future Trunks' timeline, Cell implies that Future Trunks was as responsible for Frieza and King Cold's defeat in his/Trunks' timeline as he was in the main timeline while telling Piccolo about his origins as well as the cells that were infused to him.
- Trunks and his father, Vegeta, were both killed by a Death Beam through the chest by a major supervillain. While Frieza used a normal death beam on Vegeta, Cell used a Full Power Death Beam on Trunks.
- In the Character Illustrations section of the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series, it is stated that Future Trunks obtained his sword from Tapion, although this is contradicted in every other official source which has discussed its origin. Not to mention, in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3, if Trunks and Tapion fight, they clearly recognize each other, Trunks even says "Long time, no see."
- Future Trunks is referred to as Time Patrol Trunks in Dragon Ball Online and Trunks: Xeno in Dragon Ball Heroes, while retaining his name Future Trunks in the Xenoverse series.
- Super Saiyan 2 Trunks: Xeno is currently a non-playable character in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Due to time travel, Future Trunks has multiple incarnations/counterparts in addition to his main timeline counterpart. It was the Future Trunks from Cell's Timeline who caused other timelines to be distorted.
- The Future Trunks from Cell's Timeline who was killed by Cell.
- Future Trunks from Dragon Ball Super who's timeline was devastated by Fused Zamasu and Erased by Future Zeno, forcing him and Future Mai to live in the future timeline created when Whis warned Future Beerus.
- Future Trunks who lives in the Future Timeline created by Whis' warning Future Beerus. Lives with his timeline's Future Mai. Sharing this timeline with their counterparts from the erased Future Timeline.
- It is implied in the Xenoverse series that this counterpart may have eventually been recruited by Chronoa to be her attendant and works to defend history as a member of the Time Patrol (otherwise known as Trunks: Xeno) as his timeline still exists, however this was disproven in Xenoverse 2's 4th DLC Pack as Trunks: Xeno has zero memory of encountering a 2nd version of himself. It's possible he never met the Future Trunks from Super.
- Future Trunks has a younger counterpart mentioned in Xenoverse 2 who exists in the altered future timeline created by Trunks: Xeno which saves Future Gohan in Age 780.
- It is also implied in Xenoverse 2 that Trunks: Xeno has two alternate counterparts of his own, one being the Trunks: Xeno who obeyed Chronoa and did not prevent Future Gohan from dying and the Trunks: Xeno who prevented Future Gohan's death which may have created a new future timeline provided that Chronoa chose not to erase or fix said change.
- When Future Trunks is tagged out in Budokai Tenkaichi 2, he says "back to the future"; a reference to the time traveling film Back to the Future.
- Trunks is the second to last person to have his power level stated with the use of a scouter, being only 5 because he suppressed his true power to avoid detection and mislead Frieza and King Cold.
- Angelo's hair from Dragon Quest VIII strongly resembles Future Trunks' base form with shorter hair.
- Akira Toriyama was the art director for the Dragon Quest games, so it is highly possible he based his designs on Trunks.
- The Tyler the Great Warrior seems based on Future Trunks. card character
- Future Trunks has killed both villains that killed his father. He killed Frieza in the present timeline and the Androids in his own future timeline, who both killed Vegeta. Also, in killing Frieza he avenged the deaths of his paternal grandfather and the Saiyans killed by Frieza during the Genocide of the Saiyans, which is somewhat fitting considering his royal Saiyan heritage.
- According to the Databooks:
- Trunks' favorite food is convenience store bento.
- Trunks' favorite vehicle is the time machine.
- Trunks has altered the flow of time twice in his life, radically changing events and saving Goku on both occasions. The first is when he went back in time to save Goku from the heart virus and killing Frieza and King Cold as well, drastically altering the course of the future. The second time Trunks saved Goku, he wasn't aware he saved him when he retreated to the past to get help from Goku, Vegeta, and Gohan to fight Goku Black. Trunks unknowingly traveled back to a point to where Goku hasn't met Zamasu yet. Due to Trunks' interference, Beerus and Whis caught wind of Zamasu's evil heart and were able to stop him from carrying out his plans and saving Goku from what was supposed to be his death and the creation of Goku Black.
- Three times if one counts Trunks: Xeno saving his mentor Future Gohan from dying in Age 780 in the Unknown History Saga of Xenoverse 2, though this timeline may have been fixed/erased depending on whether or not Chronoa chose to do so (as her final decision is left ambiguous).
- Trunks has fought with and defeated a version of every major villain from Dragon Ball Z. Upon arrival to the present timeline, he kills Mecha Frieza, along with his father. While in the present, he kills an unborn Present Cell with Krillin, and upon returning to his timeline after the Cell Games, he kills Future Cell. Roughly 7–9 years after this, Trunks fights and kills both Future Dabura and Future Babidi, effectively disabling Future Innocent Buu.
- As of the events of Xenoverse 2, Future Trunks is effectively responsible for killing King Cold and both of his sons, as he kills Cooler in Xenoverse 2 when he reprograms the Big Gete Star to self-destruct, which ends up killing Cooler in his Meta-Cooler Core form.
- In Dragon Ball Fusions in Ziku-kan Quest: "Darkness Cometh", it is shown that Pan thinks more highly of Future Trunks than his main timeline counterpart (which includes Kid Trunks and his adult self from the GT Timeline) and she even passingly refers to him as the "Cool" Trunks.
- In Dragon Ball Fusions, Future Trunks is the first Saiyan/Human hybrid to attain a god form (Super Saiyan Blue).
- Interestingly, in Xenoverse 2 DLC Pack 4, the Future Trunks in Dragon Ball Super is referred to by Chronoa as a different version of Trunks. Trunks: Xeno is stated to be the very same Future Trunks who was present during the Android and Cell saga. The Future Trunks of Dragon Ball Super is stated to have gone through the same events as Trunks: Xeno but was never recruited to the Time Patrol. That would make Trunks, in addition to already possessing numerous incarnations of himself throughout all the timelines, having four very different versions of himself. The original Future Trunks who lost his life from Cell, Future Trunks who exists during the Cell Saga who became Trunks: Xeno, his present timeline counterpart, and the Super version, also from the Cell Saga, who was never recruited by the Time Patrol. Trunks: Xeno also didn't know that Android 18 was married to Krillin and had a child, thus thinking that she is still evil, until being informed by Chronoa.
- Future Trunks from Super is a lot more powerful compared to his other counterparts who only possessed the basic Super Saiyan. Unlike his other counterparts, he unfortunately lost the lives of his family and the people he knew due to Goku Black and Future Zamasu. In order to end the Project Zero Mortals, Future Zeno erased the entire timeline. This would mean he lost the existence of his family and the people, except Future Mai, in his own biological timeline.
- Future Trunks holds the rank of "Commander" by Earth's Resistance in his timeline, and Trunks: Xeno is referred to as both Captain and Commander of the Time Patrol in the Xenoverse series.
- Despite his close attachment to Future Gohan, Future Trunks does not seem particularly concerned with his his present timeline counterpart. For example, when Gohan was beaten senseless by Perfect Cell, Future Trunks does not frantically rush to his aid, only watching the younger version of his mentor suffer at Cell's hands.
- When Future Trunks foretells of the Androids in the manga, he mentions them as Nos. 19 and 20. Because of Akira Toriyama's editor expressing dissatisfaction when they appeared, Toriyama created Androids 17 and 18 to be the androids Future Trunks foretold of, thus creating a plot hole. The plot hole is fixed in the anime, where Future Trunks doesn't mention them by name.
- Future Trunks is the only charachter that face all 3 Cell forms
- The red bandanna Future Trunks wears around his neck in Dragon Ball Super resembles the one Bulma wore in Resurrection ‘F’ and Dragon Ball Super.
- ↑ Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Dragon Ball Xenoverse, 2015
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Dragon Ball Online, 2010
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Dragon Ball: Super Exciting Guide, 2009
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, 2016
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super chapter 16, "Future" Trunks' Past
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks, 1993
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 147, "Time Chamber"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 133, "Nightmare Comes True"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan, 1993
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 139, "Unwelcome Discovery"
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 371, Cell vs. Android 16
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, 2005
- ↑ Dragon Ball Super episode 51 Feelings That Transcend Time: Trunks and Mai
- ↑ Future Trunks Prison Planet bio. pbs.twimg.
- ↑ Scan for ep.57.
- ↑ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CuJ0IITUIAED18X.jpg
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 335, "The Terrifying Message"
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S., 1994
- ↑ Trunks Compendium I, Faulconer Productions
- ↑ DBZ Voice Actor/Director Chris Sabat Interview, Anime News Network. Anime News Network (February 8, 2001).
- ↑ Card Trivia:Tyler the Great Warrior, Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki