Fusion (合体 Gattai, lit. "Union") is the process of merging two or more separate beings into one, combining their attributes, from strength and speed to reflexes, intelligence and wisdom. When properly fused, the single being created has an astounding level of power, far beyond what either fusees would have had individually. So far, it has been shown that there are at least six different ways to fuse and there are many types of fusion.
Types of fusion
Main article: Namekian Fusion
Namekian Fusion (融合 Yūgō, lit. "Assimilation") is the first biological fusion that appears in the series (mechanical merging having already appeared with the Pilaf Machines' combination ability). A special technique unique to the Namekians, it is more of an assimilation than a fusion, as one Namekian absorbs the energy, strength, memories, and intelligence or thought pattern of another. Both participants must willingly consent to fuse in this manner and usually the pair agrees to the stronger of the two to serve their body as the host. The agreed host places his hand over the chest of the other one and through unknown means, they merge with a blinding flash. After the fusion, only the body of the host remains, and the non-host ceases to exist as a body. It is also possible to merge with more than two Namekians.
This technique is used twice in the series. When this happens, the Namekians can choose who's form the new being will be based on. Both times, Piccolo fused with Nail, the last Warrior-Type Namekian and then with Kami. Both times, Nail and Kami agreed they would not combine their individuality with Piccolo's due to his pride and for their own individual reasons. Nail simply wanted to make sure Frieza is beaten. Kami agreed to defeat a new threat, they had to reunite. However, Piccolo does notice some personality changes before adjusting to them and returning to his old self. During the second fusion with Kami, Piccolo briefly stated he's not Kami nor Piccolo but a Namekian who has long since forgotten his name. Later on however, he went back to referring to himself as Piccolo. On both occasions, Piccolo gained enough power to defeat the current villain before they powered up.
The resulting fusion causes a massive power boost; prior to fusing with Kami, Piccolo (who had trained for the arrival of the Androids and had fused with Nail) had fallen by one punch to the stomach by Android 17. However, after fusing with Kami, Piccolo is able to even the odds and even overpower the Android at times. Both the host and his partner maintain separate consciousnesses: while the host has control of the body, the partner can watch from inside and is capable of talking with the host's consent; during his fight with Imperfect Cell, Piccolo gives Kami credit for coming up with the idea of playing possum in order to extract information from Cell.
In Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu, Piccolo can decide to fuse with the Namekian warriors Maima and Tsumuri when he arrives on Namek. Dende can also be part of this fusion if desired. In Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors, Piccolo absorbs King Piccolo (making him truly complete), and the absorption is enough to increase his strength to the point of being an equal with Super Buu. In Dragon Ball Heroes, the Namekians, including players' avatars, have the ability to use this technique. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Percel mentions patrolling a timeline where King Piccolo fused with Kami.
- Known users
- Piccolo + Nail = [Piccolo's body]
- Future Piccolo + Future Nail = [Future Piccolo's body]
- Piccolo + Maima & Tsumuri (& Dende) = [Piccolo's body] (Saiya Densetsu)
- Piccolo + Kami = [Piccolo's body]
- Piccolo + King Piccolo = [Piccolo's Body] (Supersonic Warriors)
- Namekian avatar + Piccolo = [Namekian avatar's body] (Dragon Ball Heroes)
- Any Namekian in the Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game = [Any of the Namekian's bodies]
- King Piccolo + Kami = [King Piccolo's body]
- Saonel + Several Namekians = [Saonel's body]
- Pirina + Several Namekians = [Pirina's body]
Main article: Fusion Dance
A fusion (フュージョン Fyūjon) performed using the Fusion Dance, a dance developed by an alien species called the Metamorans which Goku learned in the Other World. It was first introduced when the threat of Majin Buu emerged. The dance results in a completely new merged being with characteristics from both mergers. The newly fused body is dressed in Metamoran attire; a dark colored vest lined with light colored linen, white pants with a cloth belt and boots. The Fusion only lasts 30 minutes, after which the fusees separate back to normal.
In the manga, it was stated that there are certain requirements to the Fusion Dance as opposed to the Potara Earring fusion, such as the mergers need to have equal power and roughly similar height, but in recent interview, Akira Toriyama said that it is possible to merge no matter the conditions, as long as it all goes well and it is even possible for a larger number of people to merge. Each character stands six paces from each other, side to side. They hold their arms out so each person's arms point away from their partner, palms open and facing forwards. While saying "Fuuuu..." each person shuffles their feet sideways towards their partner. Both people must take exactly three steps at this time. While doing so, each person swings both arms over their head so each of the two sets of arms point to their partner's. Then, while saying "sion..." each person swings their arms across their body, turning them so their palm faces the floor and closing their fists. At the same time, they must bring outer leg up so it is at a right angle, with their shin facing their partner and their foot level with their knee. Finally, each person shouts "Ha!" and leans their torso over so it is slanted towards their partner. The series of movements leading up to "Ha!" are important for syncing the two people up and also concentrating their minds. But once you get really good at it, it's also possible to merge with just the "Ha!". They bring their arms up over their head so they point "upwards" (in relation to themselves) with their index fingers out. They must then fully extend their outer legs. At this point each person's fingers should touch their partner's fingers. If both characters do this exactly right, the fusion will be successful.
They must always mirror the other merger otherwise it would result in a faulty version. The whole process is rather short despite the long description. The limits of the Fusion Dance is very great in comparison to others. For instance, the fusion only lasts 30 minutes at most and that can be cut down further to as little as about five minutes if too much power is needed to sustain the form or damage is taken in. Another weakness is its unreliability; for example, in combat, when two fighters decide to fuse and one of them fails to mirror the other, the resulting fused character would most probably find himself desperately clinging to life, as it would result in an extremely weak obese version of the fusion with not even the ability to scamper around without catching its breath, or a sickly, skinny old version that can barely stand on its two feet and a retry cannot be attempted until the fusion ends after 30 minutes. However, in Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, Goten and Trunks seem to somehow have de-fused themselves immediately after accidentally fusing into Fat Gotenks, contradicting the 30 minute duration.
However, if the fusion does succeed, the new merged being will find the results are well worth the risk. The Fusion Dance creates a being that resembles both people pre-fusion, but can have a dominant side in both their behavior or appearance. Once the fusion is successful and after it expires, the two fusees will not find themselves able to fuse again without an hourly resting period, as shown by Goten and Trunks' inability to resume their Gotenks state after they separated against Super Buu. However, this one hour resting period does not seem to apply to failed fusions, as Goten and Trunks appear to have been able to fuse again immediately after their fat and skinny states diffused.
In the Dragon Ball manga, the only characters to use the Fusion Dance are Trunks and Goten. Their first attempt results in a fat Gotenks, the second in a skinny, old Gotenks, but the third attempt produces the true Gotenks, who fights Majin Buu. He later fights Super Buu in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber and again, as Super Saiyan 3, on The Lookout. This quick unlocking of the state and its usage however shortens the time that they could stay fused tremendously.
In Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn, Goku persuades Vegeta to do the Fusion Dance with him to form Gogeta and destroy Janemba. Their first attempt, however, results in a fat Gogeta named Veku, as Vegeta had his fist clenched when his finger was supposed to be extended, from only just having seen the dance from Goku. The Fusion Dance is also used in Dragon Ball GT, when Goku and Vegeta fuse into Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta to fight Omega Shenron, though the fusion wears off before Gogeta can destroy him.
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Yamcha and Tien Shinhan can do the Fusion Dance and become Tiencha. This and all "fan fusions" are strangely removed from its acclaimed sequel, Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3. However Tiencha returns as a fusion for Tien and Yamcha in Dragon Ball Fusions. Additionally Piccolo and Krillin can fuse into Prillin in Dragon Ball Fusions.
Fusions can also be terminated if the fusion takes on too much damage. In Dragon Ball Z: Wrath of the Dragon, Goten and Trunks fuse to fight Hirudegarn and during the battle, the monster hits Gotenks with sufficient force to separate Goten and Trunks far before the 30 minute time limit is reached.
"Hehe! I can stay like this for as lonnnnng as I want! Pretty sweet, huh? I mean, it'd be pretty bad if my fusion ended right in the middle of a lesson, right? So Supreme Kai of Time made it so my fusion never ends! This way I can always be at my strongest! Hahahahaha!"
— Gotenks explaining his lack of a time limit in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
In the Xenoverse series, it is revealed by Gotenks that Chronoa made it so that Metamoran fusions last indefinitely while within Toki Toki City and later Conton City. In Xenoverse 2, Gotenks explained Chronoa made it that way so his fusion doesn't time out so he can train members of the Time Patrol. This indicates that Chronoa's power over time can remove the Metamoran Fusion time limit. However the Time limit is apparently restored if they leave either city indicating that Chronoa's negation of the time limit is only effects certain areas or that her powers have a limited range as she rarely leaves either the two cities or the Time Nest.
- Known users
- Goten + Trunks = Gotenks
- Goku + Vegeta = Gogeta/Veku (fat Gogeta)
- Goku + Piccolo (demonstrated the technique without actually fusing)
- Krillin + Piccolo (demonstrated the technique without actually fusing; appears in Dragon Ball Fusions) = Prilin
- Tien Shinhan + Yamcha = Tiencha (in Budokai 2 & Dragon Ball Fusions only)
- Future Goku + Future Vegeta = Future Gogeta (in Budokai Tenkaichi only)
- Piccolo + Dr. Mashirito = Unnamed fusion of Piccolo and Dr. Mashirito (in Jump Super Stars only)
- Raditz + Nappa = Natz (in Dragon Ball Fusions only)
- Burter + Recoome = Recooter (in Dragon Ball Fusions only)
- Jeice + Guldo = Gulce (in Dragon Ball Fusions only)
- Future Gohan + Future Trunks = Future Gohanks
Main article: Potara
The Potara Fusion is performed using the earrings that the Supreme Kais wear normally. These earrings combine both users into a new being with complete attributes in the final product all the way down to their clothes. This fusion does allow for advanced transformation states such as Super Saiyan forms to be accessed even after the fusion, though the Old Kai comments that while they could technically merge whilst at full power in the state, it will shorten their lifetime significantly from being unable to fall out of the form. Mortals who perform Potara Fusion have a one-hour time limit before they de-fuse, but if a Supreme Kai is one of the fusees, then the fusion will become permanent, being unable to break apart whether the two fusees like it or not. However, there are alternate methods of dissolving the fusion regardless of whoever the participants are, usually by forcing the fusees apart (such as being magically split through a wish on the Dragon Balls).
Using the earrings is very simple, in comparison to the fusion dance. Each person puts on the earrings on the opposite ear of their partner. The orb on the earring glows and both users are thrown together. The new being emerges glowing in green light with the earrings still on each of the two ears.
In the Dragon Ball series, only five of these fusions are accounted for: one with Old Kai with an Old Witch, one with Kibito and Shin to make Kibito Kai, one with Vegeta and Goku to make Vegito, one with Goku Black and Future Zamasu to make Fused Zamasu, and one with Caulifla and Kale to make Kefla. All of these transformations give the new merged being a great deal of power from both mergers, so much that Vegito in his base form finds himself completely dominating Super Buu with Gohan, Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo all absorbed into his body before even transforming into his Super Saiyan form. However, in the manga, Vegito actually immediately transforms into a Super Saiyan to give himself a complete advantage, because in base form he is well near Buu's power.
It would seem that in a fusion with a Supreme Kai, the Supreme Kai tends to be dominant. For example, when Old Kai (who is young at the time) accidentally fuses with the witch, the only real changes to him are his age, his voice (which only sounds older) and the witch's magic-powers. Also, with Kibito Kai, the only real changes are his hair style, (he adopts Kibito's hair) his clothing, (he adopts Kibito's red Kaioshin uniform) and his abilities (he gains all of Kibito's and Supreme Kai's abilities). His voice is completely unaltered from Supreme Kai, and from the way he looks back at Majin Buu's history, he is clearly more Supreme Kai than Kibito. The voices are an effective way to tell the difference between Potara fusions which include a Supreme Kai and those that do not, as Vegito is depicted with a dual voice consisting of both his fusees' voices, similar to Fusion Dance warriors, in both the original Japanese version and the Funimation dub, though he is depicted with one voice in the Ocean dub.
Another aspect of the Potara is that when someone uses the earrings, the fused being will often have a cross between the clothes of the two users (Vegito) or just one set worn by one of the users (Old Kai, Kibito Kai) instead of the clothes worn by the Fusion Dance warriors.
There are some weaknesses to this type of fusion. For those who aren't Supreme Kai the fusion only lasts for one hour. Another, potentially fatal, weakness is that the fusees cannot be transformed before the fusion because they may never be able to power down as stated by Old Kai when Goku asked if he should be a Super Saiyan before fusing. Also, if an Immortal fuses with a mortal the fusion result will start to fall apart becoming purple and gooey.
- Known users
- Yound Elder Kai + Old Witch = Old Kai (Permanent)
- Future Young Elder Kai + Future Old Witch = Future Old Kai (Permanent)
- Shin + Kibito = Kibito Kai (Later unfused due to summoning Porunga to wish the separation)
- Goku + Vegeta = Vegito (Temporary)
- Trunks: Xeno + Vegeta: Xeno = Vegeks: Xeno (Temporary)
- Goku Black + Future Zamasu = Fused Zamasu (Permanent in the anime) (Temporary in the manga)
- Caulifla + Kale = Kefla (Temporary)
Main article: God Fusion
God Fusion is an advanced fusion between multiple people created from a wish from Shenron. Similar to the Five-Way Fusion, multiple people pose the same way as the Fusion Dance in order to fuse, although the main user has to gather energy in order to do so. The result is psychically is similar to that of the Fusion Dance, with the fusion wearing Metamoran clothing. Unlike the Fusion Dance or Potara, it is unnecessary for the users to be equal in power, as shown with Goku's fusion with the audience in the Capsule Corp. ship. It is unknown if fusions created from God Fusion have a time limit, or if they could defuse at will.
- Known users
EX-Fusion is an unnatural Fusion technique created by Capsule Corporation. In order to perform EX-Fusion, the two users must both be wearing special Capsule Corp armlets called Metamo-Rings, and then perform the Fusion Dance. The result is a fusion of the two, physically the result is similar to Potara, as their clothes fuse (and their Metamo-Rings fuse into a single ring worn by the resulting fusion) as well instead of gaining a Metamoran jacket. EX-Fusion allows people of different sizes and genders to fuse as well. It appears in Dragon Ball Fusions. The customizable protagonist Tekka is quite adapt at EX-Fusion as they can fuse with almost anyone provided they are selected as Fusion Target 1. However Tekka's EX-Fusions function more like assimilation as Tekka's EX-Fusions retains Tekka's selected name, select race, selected gender (does not apply to Namekians), voice, and profile description. The gender of the EX-Fusion created by two opposite genders is implied to be determined by who's traits are more dominant as both Android 1718 and Great Saiyaman 12 result in male EX-Fusions due to their male fusee's traits being more dominant. In the case of Tekka their selected gender determines the EX-Fusion gender due to Tekka's traits being more dominant even if they fuse with a Namekian. If Tekka is Namekian, their resulting EX-Fusion will be genderless due to their Namekian hermaphroditic traits being dominant (which cause them to lack binary genders).
- Known users
- Goku + Vegeta = EX Gogeta
- Piccolo + Krillin = EX Prillin
- Tien Shinhan + Yamcha = EX Yamhan
- Goten + Trunks (Kid) = EX Gotenks
- Gohan (Teen) + Trunks (Kid) = EX Gohanks
- Future Trunks + Trunks (Kid) = EX Trunks
- Future Trunks + Jaco = Jacunks
- Future Trunks + Tapion = Tanks
- Future Trunks + Vegeta = Vegenks
- Pinich + Vegeta = Pinita
- Tekka + any playable character = EX-Fusion Tekka
- Tekka + Pinich = Tekka & Pinich's EX-Fusion
- Yamcha + Vegeta = Yamta
- Pan + Bulla = Bulpan
- Pan + Videl = Pandel
- Beerus + Whis = Whirus
- Beerus + Goku = Gorus
- Bardock + Goku = Barlot
- Nuova Shenron + Goku = Sushinku
- Broly + Goku = Karoly
- Broly + Goku Black = Karoly Black
- Krillin + Goku (Kid) = Gorilin
- Krillin + Gohan (Teen) = Krigohan
- Goku (Kid) + Gohan (Teen) = Kuhan
- Goku (Kid) + Zamasu = Gomas
- Piccolo + Pikkon = Picohan
- Piccolo + Gohan = Colohan
- Great Saiyaman + Jaco = Great Jaco
- Great Saiyaman + Great Saiyaman 2 = Great Saiyaman 12
- Great Saiyaman + Mr. Satan = Great Satanman
- Majin Buu + Mr. Satan = Majin Satan
- Chiaotzu + Tien Shinhan = Chiaohan
- Chiaotzu + Guldo = Chiaoldo
- Chiaotzu + Saibaman = Chiaoman
- Kibito Kai + Beerus = Kibeer Kai
- Kibito Kai + Piccolo = Kibicollo Kai
- Raditz + Nappa = Rappa
- Raditz + Turles = Tutz
- Towa + Arale = Towale
- Towa + Gine = Towane
- Dabura + King Piccolo = Demon King Daccolo
- Dabura + Mira = Damira (Super Mira)
- Dodoria + Zarbon = Dodobon (Monster Form)
- Burter + Jeice = Burce
- Recoome + Guldo = Reguldo
- Captain Ginyu + Great Saiyaman = Ginyuman
- Captain Ginyu + Frieza = Ginyuza
- Cooler + Frieza = Fooler
- Cell + Frieza = Cellza
- Cell + Android 16 = Perfect 16
- Cell + Android 17 = Cell 17
- Arale + Android 18 = Arale 18
- Android 16 + Android 17 = Android 1617
- Android 17 + Android 18 = Android 1718
- Android 19 + Dr. Gero = Android 1920
- Janemba + Kid Buu = Janembuu (Pure Majin)
- Mint + Kiclee = Minlee
- Eclain + Kallon = Eclon
- Panna + Kallon = Pannan
- Tirami + Chocora = Tirara
Main article: Freeform Fusion A fusion technique introduced in Dragon Ball Fusions. Though performed using Metamo-Rings and Fusion Dance like EX-Fusion the results surpass even EX-Fusion in freedom of variety. There are over 50,000 possible combinations. Freeform Fusion resembles the absorption ability used by Buu and Namekian Fusion, as the instigator of Freeform Fusion will be the completely dominant fusee - retaining their name and personality once the fusion is complete, though with the addition of "KF" in front of their name. It also resembles Shinjin-based Potara fusion as well. Unlike EX-Fusion, Freeform Fusions do not require the fusee to have affinity to one another, though it only functions via StreetPass.
Main articles: Five-Way Fusion and Ultra Fusion Five-Way Fusion is a more advanced form of the Fusion Dance that was developed by the Ginyu Force that allows five people to fuse in order to create an extremely powerful fusion entity known as an Ultra Fusion (aka Maxi-Fusion). Like Metamoran Fusion, the five fusee must perform dance-like poses in synchronization with one another while saying Fu-sion-Ha! to fuse. The result is an extremely tall fusion with incredible power. Though powerful like Metamoran fusion and non-Shinjin Potara fusion, 5-Way Fusion has a time limit that is even less than Metamoran fusion, meaning the Ultra Fusion produced must use all their power to defeat opponents quickly before they defuse. The fusion's racial appearance is determined by the one who initiates the Five-Way Fusion as it can be either Saiyan, Earthling, Namekian, Alien, or Offworlder. If initiated by a female the resulting Ultra Fusion will be female and if by a male the resulting fusion will be male. A Namekian Ultra Fusions lack gender differences (as Namekians are considered to be hermaphrodites). Interestingly, though it was developed by the Ginyu Force (before they learn how to perform Metamoran Fusion Dance), the clothing of the resulting Ultra Fusion resembles Metamoran clothing in design, though with the addition of scarf-like tassels. Also the vest may differ in design and length depending on the race and gender that initiated the fusion. Saiyan initiated Ultra Fusions take on a form that resembles a Super Saiyan 4 with golden fur and Super Saiyan hair. Earthling Ultra Fusions have blue and green hair. Due to fusion's size, Namekian Ultra Fusion appear to be in their Great Namek state. It appears in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Known Users
- Ginyu Force (Captain Ginyu + Jeice + Burter + Recoome + Guldo) = Alien Ultra Fusion
- Tekka + Pan + Kid Goku + Kid Trunks + Goten = Ultra Fusion (Tekka)
- Pinich + Frieza + Cell + Wanta + Piprika = Ultra Fusion (Pinich)
Absorption (吸収 Kyūshū) is a different form of Fusion, as it usually involves the consumption of an individual, as opposed to a sharing of power. The most famous users of absorption are Cell and Buu. Cell uses his scorpion-like tail to absorb a helpless victim, while Buu uses his flesh to do the job. A similar technique is used by Naturon Shenron to take control of a body and multiply its natural abilities for his own destructive use. Androids 19 and 20 also employ a form of absorption, though theirs only absorbs energy from a target, rather than the target's entire body. Android 13 demonstrated a similar ability to absorb the components of his destroyed comrades, Android 14 and Android 15 into his body in order to transform into Super Android 13.
The technique can be performed by Majin Buu and Uub in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Known users
- Kid Buu absorbs South Supreme Kai = Huge Buu
- Huge Buu absorbs Daikaioh = Innocent Buu
- Imperfect Cell absorbs Android 17 = Semi-Perfect Cell
- Semi-Perfect Cell absorbs Android 18 = Perfect Cell
- Big Gete Star absorbs Cooler's remains = Meta-Cooler Core
- Android 13 absorbs Androids 14 and 15's energy reactors and computer chips = Super Android 13
- Evil Buu absorbs Good Buu = Super Buu
- Super Buu absorbs Gotenks and Piccolo = Super Buu (Gotenks and Piccolo absorbed)
- Super Buu absorbs Gohan = Super Buu (Gohan absorbed)
- Future Evil Buu absorbs Future Good Buu = Future Super Buu (Shin Budokai - Another Road)
- Future Super Buu absorbs Future Cooler & Future Broly = Future Super Buu (Future Broly and Future Cooler absorbed) (Shin Budokai - Another Road)
- Future Super Buu absorbs Gotenks = Future Super Buu (Gotenks absorbed) (Shin Budokai - Another Road)
- Future Super Buu absorbs Gohan = Future Super Buu (Gohan absorbed) (Shin Budokai - Another Road)
- Future Kid Buu absorbs Future Babidi = Future Kid Buu (Future Babidi absorbed) (Shin Budokai - Another Road)
- Uub absorbs Good Buu = Majuub
- Cell absorbs Goku = Overloaded Cell
- Super 17 absorbs Android 16 = Super 17 (Android 16 absorbed)
- Super 17 absorbs Cell = Super 17 (Cell absorbed)
- Super 17 absorbs Android 18 = Super 17 (Android 18 absorbed)
- Naturon Shenron absorbs a mole = Naturon Shenron (Mole absorbed)
- Naturon Shenron absorbs Pan = Naturon Shenron (Pan absorbed)
- Syn Shenron absorbs the Dragon Balls = Omega Shenron
The Pilaf Machines used by the Pilaf Gang are able to merge into stronger mechs: a giant robot or a mechanical ostrich. This type of merge is called Merging Transformation. When undergoing Plan X, the Universe 3 robots Bollarator, Panchia and Koitsukai can also merge into Koichiarator.
The brothers Abo and Kado, who are the main antagonists in Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, use their own form of fusion to create a superior being, Aka.
- Known users
- Bibidi + Bibidi's doppelgangers = Bibidi
- Bibidi + Babidi = Bibidi
- Pilaf Machine + Mai Machine + Shu Machine = Fused Pilaf Machine (giant form)
- Pilaf Machine + Shu Machine = Fused Pilaf Machine (ostrich form)
- Rasin + Lakasei = One singular being
- Hirudegarn's upper half + Hirudegarn's lower half = Hirudegarn
- Abo + Kado = Aka
- Bollarator + Panchia + Koitsukai = Koichiarator
Machine Mutant Fusion
In Dragon Ball GT, the Sigma Force Machine Mutants (Nezi, Ribet and Bizu) fuse to become the Super Mega Cannon Sigma. After Goku destroys the Super Mega Cannon Sigma, General Rilldo absorbs the remains to become Hyper Meta-Rilldo. It is presented in such a way that suggests it is a racial ability of all machine mutant characters.
- Known users
- Nezi + Ribet + Bizu = Super Mega Cannon Sigma
- General Rilldo + Nezi + Ribet + Bizu + Natt = Hyper Meta Rilldo
- General Rilldo + M-2 = Meta-Rilldo
- Hell Fighter 17 + Android 17 = Super 17
Main article: Possession Kami takes control of the body of Hero to fight in the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament in order to face and defeat Piccolo Jr. The Machine Mutant Baby has the ability to possess a person's body; the most prominent possession is when he possess Vegeta's body, but in Dragon Ball Heroes, he can also possess Hatchiyack's body and in Dragon Ball Fusions Hirudegarn's body. In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Janemba can possess Vegeta's body and turn him into Majin Vegeta. Later in the game, his evil energy later influences Gohan into rage, and powers up Frieza. In the spin-off manga Dragon Ball Heroes: Victory Mission, which takes place several years after the events of Dragon Ball GT, several Shadow Dragons take possession of other characters by placing their corrupted Dragon Ball on the character's forehead. Demon God Demigra's Dark Magic is also capable of possessing/corrupting some of histories most powerful fighters and even make them more powerful than they were historically through Villainous Mode, though Demigra does not possess them physically as those under his control are possessed and controlled through his dark magic though God-like Saiyans, deities, and mortals with Godly ki are immune to being corrupted/possessed and some fighters can mentally resist. Beating the possessed person will also dispel the magic freeing them of Demigra's control. Skilled magic users like Chronoa can dispel it before the target is completely taken over.
- Known Users
- Kami + Hero = [Hero's body]
- Janemba's Majin Vegeta + Vegeta = Majin Vegeta (Shin Budokai)
- Super Janemba + Majin Vegeta = [Majin Vegeta's body] (Shin Budokai)
- Super Janemba + Teen Gohan = [Teen Gohan's body; trapped in rage] (Shin Budokai)
- Super Janemba + Frieza = [Frieza's body; 100% Full Power] (Shin Budokai)
- Baby + Vegeta = Baby Vegeta
- Baby + Trunks = Baby Trunks
- Baby + Goten = Baby Goten
- Baby + Gohan = Baby Gohan
- Baby + Unnamed Alien Boy = [Unnamed Alien Boy's body]
- Baby + Alien Doctor = [Alien Doctor's body]
- Baby + Alien Woman = [Alien Woman's body]
- Baby + Hammer = [Hammer's body]
- Baby + Ax = [Ax's body]
- Baby + Dollar = [Dollar's body]
- Baby + Ronge = [Ronge's body]
- Baby + Hatchiyack = Baby Hatchiyack (Dragon Ball Heroes)
- Baby + Hirudegarn = Baby Hirudegarn (Dragon Ball Fusions)
- Oceanus Shenron + Nimu = [Nimu's body with Six-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
- Haze Shenron + Rezok = [Rezok's body with Two-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
- Haze Shenron + Mizore (Fasha) = [Fasha's body with Two-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
- Eis Shenron + Salaga = [Salaga's body with Three-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
- Naturon Shenron + Nico = [Nico's body with Seven-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
- Nuova Shenron + Basaku = [Basaku's body with Four-Star Dragon Ball on forehead] (Victory Mission)
In filler, listening to Goten and Trunks attempting the Fusion Dance over and over again while she is watching Krillin, Master Roshi, and Bulma playing cards, Android 18 mentions that due to constantly hearing the words "Fusion Ha" over and over again she had a dream the night before where Puar tried to use Fusion Dance with the Ox-King. In the same saga, when asked by Krillin who he would fuse with, Master Roshi responds by saying that he would want to fuse with Maron, to which Krillin then says "Bald and Beautiful! So Deadly!"
In the Fusion Saga, Goku decides to fuse with Gohan using the Potara Earrings, but Gohan is absorbed by Super Buu right when he finds the Potara Earring Goku threw towards him. Before Vegeta arrives, Goku decides he can not fuse with Tien Shinhan since he is knocked out and so he imagines what he would look like if fused with Mr. Satan or Dende. Gotan is the potara fusion between Goku and Mr. Satan that was named as a playable character in Budokai 2 (known as "Gokule" in non-Japanese releases of the game, using Mr. Satan's name in the edited Funimation reversioning, "Hercule"). The hypothetical fusion of Goku and Dende, Den-Goku, is also shown imaginary.
In Dragon Ball GT, Naturon Shenron attempts to absorb a bird just before he is defeated by Goku. Uub offers to fuse with Gohan, Goten, or Trunks in order to combat Omega Shenron, but Goku states that he is too injured and should wait until later to fuse. Omega Shenron is later defeated without a fusion between Uub and one of the Saiyans, making this a hypothetical fusion.
In 1995, during this period, the Weekly Shonen Jump issue #13 began a contest where fans were encouraged to come up with their own "dream fusions". To get fans started, Akira Toriyama drew a picture of a theoretical fusion of Piccolo and Krillin. The result was a small warrior featuring Piccolo's ears and Krillin's body structure. Written in the text is the explanation "Piccolo + Kuririn?! Could his name be "PIRIRIN"?!"
The Dragon Ball Z Collectible Card Game "Fusion Frenzy" pack features fusions of several characters. The cards themselves do not depict an original fused character, instead showing the two fusing characters beside each other.
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai, there was one quick fusion in a "What-If?" Sequence, wherein Cell attempts to absorb Android 18, only to have Krillin shove her out of the way. This results in a Cell who takes on the stature of a "Cell Jr." body with Krillin's black and orange color scheme, Xiaolin forehead dots, and the Turtle school symbol across his back.
The Budokai series also features two What-if fusions. Tiencha (Yamhan in the Japanese release) is a dance fusion between Tien Shinhan and Yamcha. In a brief scene in the bonus stage of Z World (based on another of Akira Toriyama's works, Nekomajin) featured exclusively in the Japanese version of Budokai 2, Goku meets Tien and Yamcha (who then fuse together) on the gameplay board. Budokai 2 also features imaginary absorptions for Super Buu. In the game, Buu can use his absorption technique as a normal attack capsule. If successful, Buu absorbs a random character, giving him a new appearance and some of that character's attacks. While he can use his previous absorptions of Gohan and Gotenks, he can also absorb Frieza (giving him Frieza's purple studs and Death Ball finisher), Cell (giving him Cell's black chest stud and green spots as well as the Spirit Bomb), Vegeta (giving him Vegeta's Buu Saga blue muscle shirt and Final Flash attack), and a two-for-one absorption of Tien and Yamcha (giving him Tien's Cell Saga green sash, Yamcha's scars, and both Tien's Volleyball Fist and Yamcha's Spirit Ball attack). Buu never absorbed these characters in the original manga or anime.
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi, one of Future Trunks' scenarios has him facing off against Gogeta (in Super Saiyan 4), who is formed by Future Goku and Future Vegeta during their one-day on Earth in his timeline.
In Jump Super Stars, Piccolo uses the Fusion Dance to fuse with Dr. Mashirito, a villain from the manga Dr. Slump (also written by Akira Toriyama), in a "tag attack". This resulting character uses a mouth cannon to deal damage at the opponent.
- Known users
- Piccolo + Krillin = Prilin (Piccillin in "Fusion Frenzy")
- Goku + Hercule = Gokule (Potara fusion imagined by Goku, playable in Budokai 2 and Dragon Ball Heroes)
- Goku + Dende = Den-Goku (Potara fusion imagined by Goku)
- Nail + Dende = Dailende ("Fusion Frenzy")
- Goku + Broly = Broku ("Fusion Frenzy")
- Vegeta + Cell = Vegecell ("Fusion Frenzy")
- Good Buu + Gohan = Buuhan ("Fusion Frenzy")
- Yamcha + Hercule = Yamcule ("Fusion Frenzy")
- Piccolo + Maima & Tsumuri (& Dende) = (Piccolo's body; in Super Saiya Densetsu only)
- Piccolo + King Piccolo = (Piccolo's body; in Supersonic Warriors only)
- Imperfect Future Cell absorbs Future Android 18 = Semi-Perfect Future Cell (in Supersonic Warriors 2 only)
- Future Semi-Perfect Cell absorbs Future Android 17 = Future Perfect Cell (in Supersonic Warriors 2 only)
- Future Imperfect Cell absorbs Future Android 18 and Future Android 17 = Perfect Future Cell (in Supersonic Warriors, Xenoverse, and Xenoverse 2 only)
- Semi-Perfect Cell absorbs Krillin = Cellin (in Budokai only)
- Tien Shinhan + Yamcha = Tiencha (in Budokai 2 and Dragon Ball Fusions only)
- Majin Buu absorbs Master Roshi = Majin Buu (Master Roshi absorbed) (in Dragon Ball SD only)
- Majin Buu absorbs Krillin = Majin Buu (Krillin absorbed) (in Dragon Ball SD only)
- Majin Buu absorbs Yamcha = Majin Buu (Yamcha absorbed) (in Dragon Ball SD only)
- Majin Buu absorbs Puar = Majin Buu (Puar absorbed) (in Dragon Ball SD only)
- Super Buu absorbs Vegeta = Super Buu (Vegeta absorbed) (in Budokai 2 only)
- Super Buu absorbs Tien Shinhan and Yamcha = Super Buu (Tien Shinhan and Yamcha absorbed) (in Budokai 2 only)
- Super Buu absorbs Frieza = Super Buu (Frieza absorbed) (in Budokai 2 only)
- Super Buu absorbs Perfect Cell = Super Buu (Perfect Cell absorbed) (in Budokai 2 only)
- Kid Buu absorbs Kibito Kai = Kid Buu (Kibito Kai absorbed) (in Dragon Ball Heroes only)
- Kid Buu absorbs Babidi = Kid Buu (Babidi absorbed) (in Dragon Ball Heroes only)
- Future Goku + Future Vegeta = Future Gogeta (in Budokai Tenkaichi only)
- Piccolo + Dr. Mashirito = Unnamed fusion of Piccolo and Dr. Mashirito (in Jump Super Stars only)
- Baby Janemba is the result of Baby attempting to infect Super Janemba, resulting in them fusing together into a parasitic mass of evil. Baby Hatchiyack is similar, being the fusion of Baby and Hatchiyack.
- Saibaking is the result of multiple Saibamen fusing together via an unspecified form of fusion, resulting in a top grade Saibaman that is powerful and more intelligent, to the point it is capable of speaking the common language. The fusion itself is not seen and is only mentioned in Saibaking's character profile in Dragon Ball Fusions.
Names of fused characters
- Vegeta and Kakarotto (Goku's birth name in Japanese) = Vegito (Potara Earrings)
- Vegeta and Kakarot = Vegerot (Viz translation)
- Vegeta and Goku = Veku (failed fusion Dance)
- Goku and Vegeta = Gogeta (correct Fusion Dance)
- Goten and Trunks = Gotenks
- Abo and Kado = Aka
Goku calls the merging of Piccolo and Kami "Kamiccolo" before he is told to simply refer to him as Piccolo, while Piccolo mistakenly calls the fusion of Goten and Trunks "Trunkten". The fusion of Shin and Kibito is not given a new fusion name (and also does not speak with the traditional dual-voices in the anime); this character is called both "Kibito Kai" and "Kibitoshin" in official American and Japanese merchandise after the series' end.
Within the North American releases of the series, a major inconsistency is held with the name of Goku and Vegeta's Potara Earring Fusion, Vegetto. With both FUNimation's and Viz's logical localization of Kakarotto to Kakarot/Kakarrot, the emphasized "to" syllable from the original romanized spelling makes little sense to include in a localized fusion-character's name. FUNimation's original spelling of the name can be seen as Vegetto (in old merchandise such as the PlayStation video game Final Bout), and later standardized to Vegito. No attempt to explain the name is over-analyzed in the English dub's dialogue. On the other hand, to explain the origin of the name, Viz's translation of the manga renames the fused character Vegerot (pulling in their localization of Kakarrot).
Fused Warriors often tend to refer to their Fusees in third person (ex: Gogeta saying "I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!") possibly because they have their own personalities and consider themselves a completely different being. However, it is shown that Vegito retains feelings for both Goku's and Vegeta's families.
- When Goten and Trunks do the Fusion Dance and become Fat Gotenks, they say that they could not remember anything. But when they fuse and become Super Saiyan 3 and then defuse, they both remember becoming Super Saiyan 3. Similarly, when Goku and Vegeta create the failed fusion Veku, they lose their memory of the incident, and when Goku and Vegeta defuse from Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, Vegeta blames Goku for wasting time by using the Bluff Kamehameha.
- The video game Dragon Ball Fusions displays that forms are also capable of fusing together into one new one if the fusees are in two separate forms.
- It is theorized by Akira Toriyama that if a man and a woman do the fusion, maybe they would end up being a drag queen.
- In Dragon Ball Fusions, opposite gender fusions are possible, though the resulting gender vary based on the nature of the fusion. Interestingly, the only opposite gender character fusions involving canon characters 17 & 18's EX-Fusion (Android 1718) and Great Saiyaman 1 and Great Saiyaman 2's EX-Fusion (Great Saiyaman 12) are both male regardless of who initiates the fusion, indicating that 17 and Great Saiyaman's traits are more dominate. However, in the case of Tekka, the players' selected traits are dominant as the resulting EX-Fusion will have their character's gender, race, and voice. If Tekka's race is Namekian, the Namekian traits will be dominate as they will lack a binary gender (due to Namekians being hermaphrodites). This also applies to opposite gender Freeform Fusions as the race and gender of the one who initiates it will be inherited.
- In addition some partial Namekian fusions may have genders if the traits of a gendered fusee are more dominate as Demon King Daccolo (the fusion of Dabura and King Piccolo) is classified as male. However, if the resulting fusion is classified as a Namekian (as hybrids are classified under a single race in Dragon Ball Fusions for simplicity), like Kallohan (Adult Gohan and Piccolo's EX-Fusion), they thus lack binary gender.
- In the Dragon Ball Super anime, Frieza is shown to be aware of fusion as he mentions it after Gotenks defuses in front of him after he had knocked down Tagoma with a headbutt. It is unclear if Frieza himself was capable of the technique or simply knew about its existence due to having encountered various alien races during his time as Emperor of Universe 7. Additionally, two of his top soldiers, Avo and Kado, are shown to be capable of fusing into Aka, so it's possible his knowledge of it comes from them.
- Additionally, it is also possible that Frieza may have encountered Metamorans at some point or heard of them or their Fusion Dance technique.
- In the Xenoverse series, fusions produced by the Fusion Dance can remain fused indefinitely while in Toki Toki City/Conton City and do not time out as shown by Gotenks, who reveals he can stay fused indefinitely while in Toki Toki City, which he is quite pleased with. Presumably, this may be due to the influence of the Supreme Kai of Time Chronoa and/or due to both city's connection to the Time Nest. It is unknown if this would also apply to non-Supreme Kai Potara fusions like Vegito, as he never appears in either Toki Toki City or Conton City.
- In Xenoverse 2, it is confirmed by Gotenks that Chronoa is responsible for the negation of his fusion's time limit. However, in the English localization Chronoa is mistakenly referred to as King Kai instead of Supreme Kai of Time (her title used in the Xenoverse series) in Gotenks' dialogue box text.
- In the American animated children's show, , characters are capable of fusing together by dancing. This is believed to be inspired by the Fusion technique in Dragon Ball.