"There is a rule in my family that the strongest member holds all the power. By extension, we must become the strongest family in the universe."
— Frieza explaining the rule of the Frieza Clan in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
They are named the Strongest Clan in Space in Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle, while in Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, King Cold refers to it as the Cold Dynasty while in Dragon Ball Legends, the clan is referred to as Lineage of Evil.
The first and most notable member of the Frieza Clan to appear in the series is Frieza himself. He set the standard for the rest of the members of his family who appear in the manga and anime as a villainous character. The series would soon go on to debut Cooler, and soon after King Cold. Later several other members would appear.
All of the clan members are noted as being very powerful, however Frieza and Cold are stronger than the rest due to being mutant members of their race, with Frieza alone being a unique prodigy who possesses immeasurable dormant power. Frieza and King Cold seem to in fact be a part of a hybrid species that came into existence as a result of an accidental spontaneous mutation that first appeared "in our grandfather's time" according to Akira Toriyama. In the Xenoverse series, Frieza and King Cold's mutation is said to have caused them to become evil and Cooler is stated to be a mutant as well within the Xenoverse series continuity.
Little in known about the race's history, other than the clan's ancestor Chilled was the leader of a band of space pirates that would one day become the Frieza Force. In Broly, it is revealed that King Cold lead the Cold Force which discovered the Saiyans and began the Occupation of Planet Vegeta before King Cold retired handing control of the Cold Force to Frieza, with the Cold Force being renamed the Frieza Force. It also implies with their respective titles that the current ruling member of the Force, and presumably the entire clan was crowned Emperor, while those not currently in power such as due to retirement take up the title of King. In the English dub, Frieza also implies that the clan spoke their own language, with one phrase, "Aloevi vi vivial", specifically meaning "let's get down to business."
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Frieza explains to the Warrior that his family has a rule that the strongest member holds all the power within the Frieza Clan and by extension they must be the strongest family in the universe.
Main article: Transformations of Frieza's race
The members of the Frieza Clan are the only members of Frieza's race in Universe 7 to have demonstrated the ability to naturally create or unlock new transformations, implying it is possibly unique to this family. However, Frost of Universe 6 also displays this ability.
Frieza possess the most forms, as he created three power suppressing forms due to his power being too great, and he later achieved his Golden Frieza form thanks to his status as a prodigy. Alongside having created at least two suppression forms, Cooler was the first to obtain the heightened Fourth Transformation and later achieved the "Golden Frieza" form himself. Frieza's son Kuriza also possessed one power suppressing form. The Frieza Clan members in Dragon Ball Heroes are capable of utilizing the Class-up, Super Class-up, and God Class-up states in order to achieve their own heightened forms. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, after taking control of the Frieza Force from either Frieza or Cooler, Frieza will assist the Frieza Race Future Warrior in obtaining their Turn Golden form along with his brother Cooler.
- King Cold/Future King Cold
- Cooler/Future Cooler/Meta-Cooler
- Frieza/Future Frieza/Xeno Frieza
- In Dragon Ball Heroes, the Frieza's race avatars are said to be of the Frieza Clan.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the Frieza Race Future Warrior is also referred to as a "Frieza Clansman".
- The Bio-Android Cell contained cells from both Frieza and King Cold, technically making him and his offspring members of the Frieza Clan. The same holds true for his counterparts the Cells, Present Cell, Future Cell, Xeno Cell, and New Cell.
- An army of duplicates of Cooler, referred to as Meta-Coolers, were produced by the Big Gete Star.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors, Dr. Gero creates a Clone Frieza which he sends against Future Trunks though it is defeated and killed. In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 21 creates several fast grown Clone Friezas as well as Clone Cells all of which are genetically related to the Frieza Clan.
- The Demon Realm race Bio-Android Mira is strongly implied to have had Frieza's DNA incorporated into him by Towa as he can utilize Frieza's techniques, facial features, and survivability. If he does indeed possess Frieza's DNA, then both Mira and his biological son Fu could be seen as members of the Frieza Clan.
- Android 21 has Frieza's cells, along with Cell's (and thus King Cold's cells also) thus, making her and her fissions members of the Frieza Clan as well.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, when Omega Shenron states that Frieza is the one responsible for his existence, Frieza acknowledges that this effectively makes him Omega Shenron's "momma" (parent), and considers making Omega Shenron his minion.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, the Frieza Race Future Warrior is considered an honorary member of the Frieza Clan after they manage to take control of the Galactic Frieza Army away from Frieza and his brother and manage to obtain their Turn Golden form while training with Frieza and Cooler.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, when King Cold is revived after the Majin Buu Saga and Gohan defeats his subordinates, Cold will bestow upon Gohan the "honor" of being his new son in place of Frieza.
- Though only evil members of the Frieza Clan appear in the main series, other media such as video games show heroic members such as the Frieza Race Future Warrior and Jierra. In fact, Jierra is shown to be disgusted by Chilled's evil behavior to the point of wanting to kill him.
- However, Jierra's willingness to kill his own kin is not uncommon among the Frieza Clan, as Frieza and Cooler wouldn't hesitate to kill each other or their father if given the opportunity and Frieza admitted to Roh and Sidra he had no problem with the souls of his family being erased as long as Frieza himself survived. Ironically, despite his evil nature Chilled cared enough about his family to warn them of the Super Saiyans.