"There is a rule in my family that the strongest member holds all the power. By extension, we must become the strongest family in the universe."
— Frieza explaining the rule of the Frieza Clan in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
The Frieza Clan is known by many alternative titles, such as the Strongest Clan in Space/Wicked Bloodline in Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle, the Cold Dynasty by King Cold in Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, and the Lineage of Evil in Dragon Ball Legends.
The first and most notable member of the Frieza Clan to appear in the series is Frieza himself. He set the standard for the rest of the members of his family who appear in the manga and anime as a villainous character. The series would soon go on to debut Cooler, and soon after King Cold. Later several other members would appear.
All of the clan members are noted as being very powerful, however Frieza and Cold are stronger than the rest due to being mutant members of their race, with Frieza alone being a unique prodigy who possesses immeasurable dormant power. Frieza and King Cold seem to in fact be a part of a hybrid species that came into existence as a result of an accidental spontaneous mutation that first appeared "in our grandfather's time" according to Akira Toriyama. In the Xenoverse series, Frieza and King Cold's mutation is said to have caused them to become evil and Cooler is stated to be a mutant as well within the Xenoverse series continuity.
Little in known about the race's history, other than the clan's ancestor Chilled was the leader of a band of space pirates that would one day become the Frieza Force. In Broly, it is revealed that King Cold led the Cold Force which discovered the Saiyans and began the Occupation of Planet Vegeta before King Cold retired handing control of the Cold Force to Frieza, with the Cold Force being renamed the Frieza Force. It also implies with their respective titles that the current ruling member of the Force, and presumably the entire clan was crowned Emperor, while those not currently in power such as due to retirement take up the title of King. In the English dub, Frieza also implies that the clan spoke their own language, with one phrase, "Aloevi vi vivial", specifically meaning "let's get down to business."
During Granolah the Survivor Saga, it is revealed that the Frieza Clan are business partners with the Heeters, a family of intel brokers. However the partnership is not equal due the resurrected Frieza's strength, causing the Heeters to concoct a plan to usurp control over the Frieza Force by pitting the vengeful Cerealian survivor Granolah against Frieza and the surviving Saiyans, Goku and Vegeta as the Saiyans (including Goku's father Bardock) were responsible for the Cerealian genocide.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, Frieza explains to the Warrior that his family has a rule that the strongest member holds all the power within the Frieza Clan and by extension they must be the strongest family in the universe.
In Dragon Ball Legends during the Tournament of Time, Frost (Age 780, post-Tournament of Power) takes control over a majority of the Frieza Force members participating in the tournament by convincing them he is a transformed Frieza (which works due to most members being unaware of what Frieza's final form looks like) convinces them that the real 1st Form Frieza is a fake. This Frieza commands a small faction of Frieza Force members though most are wiped out by Saiyan in Red who Frieza and his remaining men mistakenly believe to be the amnesic Ancient Saiyan Shallot who Frieza offers to form an alliance with after his ally Bulma (Youth) is kidnapped by Frost's ally Turles who acts as his second-in-command. Secretly a member of Team Beerus, Shallot is ordered by Beerus to ally himself with Frieza's faction in order to rescue Bulma. Eventually Frieza and Shallot learn that Frost is leading the rogue faction, with him revealing he did so in order to take revenge on him for his present counterpart's betrayal during the Tournament of Power. Thanks to Turles, Frost is able to empower himself and his troops with Fruit of the Tree of Might supplied by Turles through his ally Dr. Gero. However Frieza discovers that it is unwise to consume too much of the fruit which is imperfect as Dr. Gero has yet to perfect growing the fruit artificially with Turles keeping all of the perfected fruit for himself. This results in Frost being defeated and killed, with Frieza taking over both the Frieza Force and Frost's alliance with Turles and Dr. Gero, while betraying his former Saiyan allies (Shallot, Vegeta, and Nappa). However his murder of Shallot's mentor Vegeta, causes Shallot to transform into a Super Saiyan allowing him to finally kill the tyrant with the Frieza Force scattering into various factions once more, with one being lead by the Frieza allied with the Mastermind's group. In addition to Frieza and any of his counterparts participating in the tournament, both Chilled and Cooler participate in the tournament as well. During the Super Cell Games created by New Cell (who possesses the genes of Frost, in addition to those of Frieza & Kind Cold like his counterparts), the Cooler allied with the Organization of Babidi joins New Cell's team along with Boujack who was also allied with the Organization of Babidi which through Dabura was secretly supplying aid to New Cell as Dabura allied himself with the Bio-Android after aiding him in absorbing the Androids 17 & 18, due to the amount of Kili that New Cell and his games could provide Babidi. Cooler joins primarily to avenge his family's honor by defeating the Super Saiyan Shallot. However Shallot receives help from Bardock who decides to take part after a brief encounter with Frieza's elder brother and his subordinate Thouser shortly before the Super Cell Games, which foils Cooler's attempt to destroy the Earth with Supernova Cooler which causes New Cell to kill his teammate for attempting to end the games prematurely by destroying the planet. New Cell is eventually killed by the combined might of Super Saiyan 2 Shallot and SSJ2 Gohan (Youth, post-Cell Games). Additionally according to the Frieza that Shallot briefly allies with, no counterpart of Frieza would oppose another incarnation themself, when Shallot suggests that one of his counterpart's may be leading the rogue faction (due to them both being unaware of Frost masquerading as the "true" Final Form Frieza at the time) as they would naturally work together to gain an advantage due to their narcissism which is demonstrated by the Super Dragon Ball Heroes Mecha Frieza (and King Cold) joining forces with the anomalous Frieza (Final Form) and his Ginyu Force to take revenge on their world's Goku and the Dragon Ball Heroes team in Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission.
Main article: Transformations of Frieza's race
The members of the Frieza Clan are the only members of Frieza's race in Universe 7 to have demonstrated the ability to naturally create or unlock new transformations, implying it is possibly unique to this family. However, Frost of Universe 6 also displays this ability.
Frieza possess the most forms, as he created three power suppressing forms due to his power being too great, and he later achieved his Golden Frieza form thanks to his status as a prodigy. Alongside having created at least two suppression forms, Cooler was the first to obtain the heightened Fourth Transformation and later achieved the "Golden Frieza" form himself. Frieza's son Kuriza also possessed one power suppressing form. The Frieza Clan members in Dragon Ball Heroes are capable of utilizing the Class-up, Super Class-up, and God Class-up states in order to achieve their own heightened forms. In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, after taking control of the Frieza Force from either Frieza or Cooler, Frieza will assist the Frieza Race Future Warrior in obtaining their Turn Golden form along with his brother Cooler.
- King Cold/Future King Cold
- Cooler/Future Cooler/Meta-Cooler
- Frieza/Future Frieza/Xeno Frieza
- In Dragon Ball Heroes, the Frieza's race avatars are said to be of the Frieza Clan.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, the Frieza Race Future Warrior is also referred to as a "Frieza Clansman".
- The Bio-Android Cell contained cells from both Frieza and King Cold, technically making him and his offspring members of the Frieza Clan. The same holds true for his counterparts the Cells, Present Cell, Future Cell, Xeno Cell, and New Cell (who also contains the genes of Frost).
- An army of duplicates of Cooler, referred to as Meta-Coolers, were produced by the Big Gete Star.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors, Dr. Gero creates a Clone Frieza which he sends against Future Trunks though it is defeated and killed. In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 21 creates several fast grown Clone Friezas as well as Clone Cells all of which are genetically related to the Frieza Clan.
- The Demon Realm race Bio-Android Mira is strongly implied to have had Frieza's DNA incorporated into him by Towa as he can utilize Frieza's techniques, facial features, and survivability. If he does indeed possess Frieza's DNA, then both Mira and his biological son Fu could be seen as members of the Frieza Clan.
- Android 21 has Frieza's cells, along with Cell's (and thus King Cold's cells also) thus, making her and her fissions members of the Frieza Clan as well.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, when Omega Shenron states that Frieza is the one responsible for his existence, Frieza acknowledges that this effectively makes him Omega Shenron's "momma" (parent), and considers making Omega Shenron his minion.
- In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, the Frieza Race Future Warrior is considered an honorary member of the Frieza Clan after they manage to take control of the Galactic Frieza Army away from Frieza and his brother and manage to obtain their Turn Golden form while training with Frieza and Cooler.
- In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, when King Cold is revived after the Majin Buu Saga and Gohan defeats his subordinates, Cold will bestow upon Gohan the "honor" of being his new son in place of Frieza.
- In Dragon Ball Legends, Frost briefly masquerades as the "true" Final Form Frieza in order to lay claim to leadership over the Frieza Force during the Tournament of Time.
- Though only evil members of the Frieza Clan appear in the main series, other media such as video games show heroic members such as the Frieza Race Future Warrior and Jierra. In fact, Jierra is shown to be disgusted by Chilled's evil behavior to the point of wanting to kill him.
- However, Jierra's willingness to kill his own kin is not uncommon among the Frieza Clan, as Frieza and Cooler wouldn't hesitate to kill each other or their father if given the opportunity and Frieza admitted to Roh and Sidra he had no problem with the souls of his family being erased as long as Frieza himself survived. Ironically, despite his evil nature Chilled cared enough about his family to warn them of the Super Saiyans.