"You're on my.... property!"
The Farmer (農夫 Nōfu) is an ostrich farmer. He was the first human to encounter the Saiyan warrior Raditz upon his arrival on Earth, and the first person shown to have a confirmed Power Level in Dragon Ball Z.
Although the farmer's clothing, hairstyle, and even facial features vary from appearance to appearance, his general appearance remains mostly the same: he is a short, overweight, usually bespectacled man with short black hair and a moustache. In his first appearance during the Saiyan Saga, he wears a straw hat with a wide brim, black band, and round crown, a yellow plaid shirt with rolled-up sleeves, blue dungarees, and black-grey boots. During the Cell Saga (as a hunter), he wears a fur "Davy Crockett" hat, a dark blue padded jacket, brown slacks and reddish-brown boots. During the Majin Buu saga, he wears a white shirt, tan boots, and the same dungarees as he wears during the Saiyan Saga. He also wears this outfit in the Kid Buu Saga, although the shirt's color has changed from white to pale green, and his moustache becomes noticeably thicker. During Battle of Gods, he wears a cream "wife-beater" vest. Unlike his previous appearances, he doesn't wear glasses. Strangely, he bears a striking resemblance to Senbei Norimaki in this appearance.
The Farmer is a hard working blue-collar worker, raising his flock of Ostrich Chickens in Spinach Wastes. He is also a smoker. During the Raditz Saga, he is pitching hay into the back of his pickup truck and while he's taking a cigarette break, he witnesses Raditz's Attack Ball crash land nearby. He is unsure if it was a Meteor or UFO, so he hops into his pickup to have a look. He is amazed by the size of the impact crater though is cautious enough to bring his gun with him. After getting a look at the Attack Ball, he realizes it was no meteor. He is understandably frightened when Raditz steps out of the pod and flies out. While frightened, the farmer bravely tells him to stop before asking who he is but Raditz ignores him and reads his power level. He tells Raditz to stay back and gives him a warning before firing at the alien in self defense. However to the Farmer's utter horror, Raditz catches the bullet as the farmer is an average Earthling unaccustomed to such superhuman speed.
By the time of the Androids Saga during his encounter with Dr. Gero whom he mistakes as a deer while hunting, upon realizing his had shot a person he asks if the old man is alright but Dr. Gero blasts him knocking the farmer into a tree. Though he is briefly confused, the farmer is mostly unfazed by what happened apparently due to his previous encounter with Raditz making him aware of beings with superhuman abilities exist.
Dragon Ball Z
Main article: Raditz Saga
In Age 761, the ostrich farmer notices an Attack Ball falling from the sky to his field, so he drives there in his truck and is incapacitated very quickly. He has a gun that he tries to use to kill Raditz for trespassing on his property, but the Saiyan catches the bullet and fires it back with a flick of his thumb, which hits the farmer, wounding him and sending him flying into his truck. In the manga he falls to the ground and does not hit his truck.
Main article: Androids Saga
In the anime, a hunter similar to the farmer is shown in the forested mountains south of North City. Mistaking Android 20 for "a deer", he fires off a slug from his gun. After asking Android 20 if he was alright, Android 20 blasts him straight into a nearby tree. This action does not seem to faze the farmer too much, other than confusing him for a moment.
Majin Buu Saga
In the anime during the Great Saiyaman Saga, the farmer can once again be seen on his farm moving hay from a pile to his Chevrolet. While this farmer looks like the original farmer (and later "hunter"), it is unknown if they are the same person as this farmer's eyes and hair style are much different than the last two appearances. When Gohan (disguised as the Great Saiyaman) zooms by in glee due to the news of Goku returning to Earth for the upcoming World Martial Arts Tournament, the farmer is startled and simply falls over.
In the anime) during the Kid Buu Saga, the farmer is shown eating a bread roll in front of a hay pile beside a woman that may be his wife. Also, a blue truck can be seen in the background, which seems to resemble the first farmer's blue truck. The only noticeable difference from the other farmer appearances is that he has a thicker mustache.
Battle of Gods
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods
In Battle of Gods, the farmer makes another cameo and, interestingly, he has a very similar appearance to Senbei Norimaki from the Dr. Slump remake and a truck like the one seen in the first episode of Dragon Ball Z. He is near West City when Goku calls for Shenron, and states that the wealthy sure do put on a different show (Senbei originally being from Dr. Slump). Unlike his previous appearances, he does not wear glasses.
Other Dragon Ball stories
Dragon Ball Online
Main article: Dragon Ball Online
The farmer appears along with his ostrich on a billboard and in a cutscene.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot The Farmer lives in the East Ravine Area of Earth where Raditz's Landing Site is found after his spaceship crash lands there. However, he doesn't raise Ostrich Chickens as they do not appear in Kakarot.
Like in the main series, the Farmer investigates the impact crater though he approaches it on foot as he is standing nearby. Despite the omission of his truck, the scene plays out much like it does in the main series, though as the Farmer does not appear in East Ravine or anywhere else on Earth after the cutscene, he was apparently killed by the bullet Raditz flicked back at him.
- Manga and Anime
During Raditz arrival on Earth and confrontation toward the frail and timid Earthling, the Farmer was stated by Raditz, through a scouter reading, to have a power level of 5 which Raditz scoffs at knowing that the farmer is no challenge against him since Raditz is at least 200 times stronger than him. Just when Raditz walks toward the farmer, the farmer holds his shotgun toward Raditz in fear but Raditz still remains calm and noticeably unintimidated. As the Farmer fires his shotgun at Raditz, Raditz was easily able to catch and stop the bullet with his hand without any physical damage and then fires the bullet back at the farmer with a flick, seemingly killing him or at the very least incapacitating the farmer.
- Pitchfork - During his appearance in the Raditz Saga, the Farmer uses his pitchfork to pitch hay into his pickup truck.
- Gun - Firearms which fire high velocity rounds. Used in self defense against Raditz in the Raditz Saga, but Raditz caught the bullet and flicked it back at him. During the Android Saga, he uses a different gun as his deer rifle while deer hunting and accidentally mistakes Dr. Gero for a deer, though the doctor is unaffected by the bullet due to his Android body.
- Farmer's pickup truck - A pickup. In the anime, Raditz destroys it with Shining Friday when his nephew Gohan tries to hide under it. However the farmer apparently acquires a new pickup by the time of his anime appearance in the Majin Buu Saga.
Video Game Appearances
He appears briefly in Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans.
The farmer also appears in a cutscene in Dragon Ball Online. The Farmer can also be seen with an Ostrich Chicken and pitching hay into his truck on a billboard promoting Westland.
He also appears during Stop the Saiyan Invasion in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot in a cutscene depicting Raditz arrival though Goku and Gohan are already at Kame House as they notice Raditz's Attack Ball in the sky before it crash lands in East Ravine (an area dubbed Raditz's Landing Site in the Z Encyclopedia) leading to the Farmer's confrontation with Raditz. The farmer is defeated in the same manner as he does in the anime and manga with Raditz catching the bullet he fires then flicks it back at him though his truck is no where nearby as he approaches the impact site on foot. Additionally he is not an Ostrich Chicken farmer in Kakarot as no Ostrich Chickens appear in the game. Additionally, whereas his rifle is destroyed in the anime, it remains intact in the game.
- Japanese dub: Ginzō Matsuo, Keiichi Sonobe (DB Kai)
- Italian dub: Tony Fuochi
- Latin American Spanish dub :José Luis McConnell
- Farmer vs. Raditz
- Due to the Farmer having a power level of 5, many fans believe this to be an average power level for a human. This could be true as Future Trunks' relaxed/suppressed state was stated to be 5.
- In the unedited versions of "The New Threat," the farmer smokes cigarettes.
- Both Mcneil and Swasey voiced Hohenheim with Mcneil in Fullmetal Alchemist and Swasy in Brotherhood
- In the heavily censored version of Dragon Ball Z Kai seen on The CW's Toonzai block, the farmer's rifle was edited into a laser gun of sorts, as the bullet Raditz catches and then flicks back at the farmer was given a blue glow.
- This character is commonly referred to by fans as "Farmer with Shotgun". However, his weapon is not a shotgun. It is in fact a lever-action rifle, probably the Winchester Model 1866, commonly nicknamed the "Yellow Boy" because of the color of its brass receiver, or the "Gun That Won The West" because it was one of the most successful rifles ever made. This is demonstrated by the manner in which the farmer cocks the gun, and also because it fires a bullet instead of birdshot or buckshot. In the dubbed version of the anime, he refers to it as "my pea shooter". The gun he shot Gero with, while of the same model, is likely a different one, as in both the manga and anime, his firearm is destroyed when it is hit by the bullet as it passes first through the rifle (snapping it in two) then the farmer (coming out his back) and finally his truck (popping open the roof and damaging the engine).