- This article is about the offensive technique. For the defensive technique, see Explosive Wave.
Exploding Wave (爆発波 Bakuhatsuha) is a technique used by many fighters.
The user manipulates their ki to disrupt the planet's geomagnetic field. With a swift upwards motion of the hand, the user can create a massive atomic explosion that has the potential to cause an almost endless crater in the desired area.
Although Nappa is the most prominent user of the technique, Kami, while possessing the body of the human Hero, was the first person in the series seen using the Exploding Wave. He used the technique on Piccolo Jr. during the World Martial Arts Tournament. While performing the technique, Kami performed many hand motions which eventually ends with the pointing and index fingers pointing upwards which sends Piccolo flying in the air.
Nappa first used the attack to wipe out all of King Moai's guards. He used it again when he and Vegeta arrived on Earth, destroying East City completely. Vegeta also comments that even the Dragon Balls could have been destroyed by it (though this may be a mistake on Vegeta's part). Later on, Nappa attempted to use the move against Goku, but it was less effective as Goku was able to easily dodge it. The technique makes one more appearance in Dragon Ball GT, during the Super 17 Saga; after Nappa briefly returns from Hell, he uses it to obliterate an entire city once again.
- Volcano Explosion – A variation of the Exploding Wave technique used by Nappa and the Future Warrior.
- Blazing Storm – Another variation of the Exploding Wave technique used by Nappa and Syn Shenron.
- Death Storm – A variation of the Exploding Wave used by 2nd Form Frieza.
- Planet Bomb – A variation of the Exploding Wave technique used by Amond.
- Aftershock – A technique invented and used by Naturon Shenron.
- Gigantic Blaze – A variation of the Exploding Wave used by Syn Shenron.
- Angry Explosion – Subsequent to his first use of the attack, Majin Buu uses his Angry Explosion attack as an Exploding Wave by lifting both hands above his head, causing an explosion that leveled entire cities.
- Psychic Whip – Vegito's version of the Exploding Wave.
Video Game Appearances
Several variations are usable in video games, such as the Volcano Explosion, Blazing Storm, Death Storm. Called Giant Ground Explosion, the technique is a skill learned at level 40 by Warrior-type Namekians that have already learn the Great Namekian skill. It is performed in Great Namek form by waving the arm, having the land explode in its wake.
- 爆 (Baku) = Burst / bomb
- 発 (Hatsu) = Send / emit
- 波 (Ha) = Wave
- 爆発 (Bakuhatsu) = Explosion via noun or detonation