The Dragon Team (ドラゴンチーム Doragon Chīmu), also known as the Dragon Ball Gang, is a group of Earth's mightiest warriors. Formed during Goku and Bulma's search for the Dragon Balls, they have since fought many battles in order to test their skills and reach other goals, and in turn have become the unofficial defenders of Earth.
The sub-team of fighters who are a part of the Dragon Team are referred to as the Z Fighters (or the Z Warriors, Earth's Special Forces and the Golden Fighters) (Ｚ戦士 Zetto Senshi). Due to them just being a group of martial artists who group up from time to time, they have no official leader or particular positions. Members will act of their own accord at times, though most if not all have some sort of sense of justice (or eventually developed one) and will make drastic decisions to defend their home. Throughout the years, the group consistently bolstered its ranks through the addition of former enemies and new heroes, and routinely overcame seemingly insurmountable opponents; always emerging victorious against progressively more powerful foes.
Search for the Dragon Balls
The team officially formed when Goku agreed to go with Bulma on her quest to find the Dragon Balls. They traveled past Mount Paozu and into Skull Valley where they met Turtle. Bulma was originally against the idea of taking the turtle back to the ocean, but ended up tagging along with them since she was defenseless without Goku. After a minor conflict against a Bear Thief, Goku and Bulma returned the turtle back to the ocean where his owner, Master Roshi, gave Bulma his Dragon Ball and Goku the Flying Nimbus as a reward.
Another member, Oolong, joined when Goku and Bulma saved Aru Village; although Bulma actually forced him to go. Then, along the way to Fire Mountain, they met the desert bandit and Bulma's eventual boyfriend Yamcha and Puar in Diablo Desert, who would become additional members of the team. At Fire Mountain, they met the Ox-King and Chi-Chi, who would become Goku's wife several years later.
Later, while training with Master Roshi for the 21st World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku met his best friend Krillin, and also Launch. While dealing with the Red Ribbon Army, Goku reunited Bulma, Krillin and his other friends in search of his Dragon Ball resulting in their confrontation with Red Ribbon Army. While Master Roshi, Launch and Turtle take down another batch of Red Ribbon soldiers invading their island for the Dragon Ball kept at the Kame House. Goku would eventually take down the entire army single-handedly.
Afterwards, the entire team (sans Oolong and Launch) gathered at Fortuneteller Baba's Palace in order to do battle with her warriors as a price for her telling them where the final Dragon Ball is, for Upa. Members of the team briefly work as volunteer firemen in Goku's Fire Brigade.
Later, at the 22nd World Tournament, the team met Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu, who started out as enemies but soon became allies. Soon after that, Goku met the samurai Yajirobe, who also ended up joining the team (albeit reluctantly). The team later encounters King Piccolo, who spawns many mutated "sons" that murder Krillin and other martial artists around the world. Master Roshi and Chioatzu lose their lives as well to King Piccolo when they attempt to use the Dragon Balls to destroy him. Enraged, Goku seeks revenge and successfully kills King Piccolo. After reviving Krillin, Chioatzu, Roshi and the other victims of King Piccolo via the Dragon Balls, the group disbands for three years until they commerce at the 23rd World Tournament. Goku faces the last of King Piccolo's sons, Piccolo Junior, in the final round of the tournament. Despite Piccolo's attempts to kill him, Goku ultimately defeats Piccolo and decides to spare his life after sensing that Piccolo can be redeemed. Afterwards, the team parts ways for another five years; during which time, Goku and Chi-Chi marry and give birth to their first son Gohan.
The first actual formation of the "Z Fighters" is out of necessity; brought on when Goku is faced with his long lost older brother Raditz, who had come to Earth to find Goku and tells Goku the truth about his Saiyan heritage. After Raditz kidnaps Goku's young son, Gohan, Goku and Piccolo form a reluctant alliance in order to fight for a common cause but Goku sacrifices himself to help Piccolo kill Raditz. This team-up is considered the true birth of the Z Fighters, with the addition of the fighters selected to train on the Lookout for the upcoming battle against Nappa and Vegeta. The first time the Z Fighters are referred to as an actual organization is when the two Saiyans arrive on Earth: while the six warriors Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, Piccolo and Gohan are fighting against the Saiyans, Yajirobe falsely takes credit for organizing and leading the group in a shameless attempt to obtain undeserved news publicity and free food.
The team's name itself is very rarely used in the series by anyone other than the narrator. It used by Future Trunks when he explains to Goku that, in the future, "the Earth's Special Forces are gone." The second character to use the term is Gohan, when he is training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to defeat Cell: while sleeping, he has a dream in which his mother Chi-Chi says she does not want Gohan to be in Goku's little gang, and Gohan then responds that he is not in a little gang, he is a Z Fighter.
The Saiyan conflict is commonly considered the first time Earth's Special Forces engaged enemies together. After Goku's death against Raditz, Piccolo trains Gohan to prepare for the arrival of the Saiyan warriors Vegeta and Nappa a year later, while Goku trains under King Kai in the Other World before being revived by the Dragon Balls. Though several of the members expressed distrust of their former enemy Piccolo, this first Z Fighter roster consisted of Goku, his inexperienced son Gohan, Piccolo, Tien Shinhan, Krillin, Yamcha and Chiaotzu. Yajirobe, though choosing not to join the fight, ended up playing an important role in repelling Vegeta by slicing off the Saiyan's tail while he was a Great Ape; saving Goku's life. Unfortunately, several Z Fighters are decimated in the battle against Nappa and his Saibamen, with only Goku, Krillin, Gohan and Yajirobe surviving the fight. Also noted is this is the saga in which Piccolo demonstrates his first step in redemption by sacrificing his life to save Gohan. The deceased would train in Other World with King Kai like Goku. At the end, Vegeta kills Nappa after the former loses to Goku, and Vegeta almost wins against Goku before Gohan transforms into a Great Ape and weakens Vegeta greatly. Vegeta barely escapes with his life and the surviving Z Fighters (Gohan, Krillin and, later, Goku) decide to accompany Bulma to Namek to use their Dragon Balls to revive their fallen comrades.
During the Battle on Planet Namek, Earth's Special Forces would ally with the Namekian race against Frieza and his Frieza Force, this part of the series marked a turning point for the group, as Piccolo is fully reformed and Vegeta allies with the group, mainly out of necessity to take down Frieza and strongly hints his intentions to eliminate them once the battle is over. This is also the first time in the series in which a character actually refers to the group as the Z Fighters, when Gohan pleads with Chi-Chi to be allowed to go to Namek with Krillin and Bulma. He informs her that he too is a Z Fighter, and must be there to protect his friends.
The team members of this conflict consisted of Goku, Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo (after being revived by the Dragon Balls). Although Vegeta aids them in battling Frieza, he had yet to become an official member due to his reluctant allegiance with them. During the battle, Vegeta and Krillin are killed by Frieza, and this causes Goku to transform into a Super Saiyan for the first time. A desperate Frieza prepares to blow the planet up to kill Goku while everyone besides the former are transported to Earth, including a revived Vegeta. In the aftermath, it was assumed Goku and Frieza died in the explosion, but Goku actually managed to escape. The group uses the Dragon Balls to revive Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu and wait for Goku's return.
Two years after the battle with Frieza, the group finds out Frieza is alive and heading for Earth with his father King Cold, prompting them to set out for battle. However, Future Trunks suddenly appears and effortlessly kills the two monsters about three hours before Goku returns from space. Future Trunks then tells Goku that he comes from the future to warn everyone about the Androids that have caused apocalyptic mayhem in his time and had killed all the Z Fighters, with the exemption of Goku (who died from a heart virus beforehand). After his defeat on Earth and then brief alliance on Namek, Vegeta chose to remain on Earth to fight Goku once more, but after learning about the Androids, he decides to stay and train for the upcoming conflict with the androids rather than prepare to battle Goku, though like previously with Piccolo, most of the other Z Fighters do not fully trust him and are unwilling to consider him a true ally. During this time, Vegeta is successful in becoming a Super Saiyan and forms a relationship with Bulma, resulting the birth of their son Trunks. Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu also begin training for the fight with the androids. It is evidently around this time that the series refers to the group of warriors as the "Z Fighters". When the androids do arrive, Future Trunks returns as well, bolstering the team's ranks. With Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, Vegeta and Future Trunks, the group fully forms and it is shown through the opening sequence at this time in the series (the final image is of the aforementioned fighters and Goku as he transforms into a Super Saiyan). Chiaotzu, however, does not participate in any actual battles during the Android conflict and his role within the group becomes more and more reduced as time goes on. It is also worth noting that while this version of the Z Fighters is a prominent one during the series history, it is the only period of time in which the team consists of these certain members, the largest roster of Z Fighters.
Although the sequence of events is altered due to Future Trunks' intervention, Goku is cured from his illness and everyone avoids being killed by Androids 17 and 18. However, they are horrified to face off against an unexpected enemy: Cell, who tries to absorb the Androids to achieve the power to destroy Earth. To test the world's Fighters abilities, Cell holds a tournament called the Cell Games. Everyone trains relentlessly to prepare for the event, and Gohan is able to transform into a Super Saiyan. During the battle, Goku decides he is unable to win and chooses Gohan to take the lead, although Gohan struggles to keep up. After Cell uses his Cell Jr. army to attack the Z Fighters and he brutally murders Android 16, Gohan ascends to Super Saiyan 2, and is able to turn the battle into the Z Fighters' favor. However, Goku sacrifices himself to stop Cell, who survives and kills Future Trunks, but is later killed by Gohan. Goku decides to remain dead because he believes his existence will draw in more enemies and pose a threat to Earth, and leaves the role as Earth’s protector to Gohan. By end of the Cell Games, Future Trunks is revived and returns to his timeline more powerful than ever, thanks to his training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Vegeta, and proceeds to finally destroy the evil versions of Androids 17 and 18 in his world, as well as his timeline's Cell a while later.
Meanwhile, Tien Shinhan bids farewell to the Z Fighters and plans to live in seclusion with his best friend Chiaotzu, realizing he can no longer compete with the powers of the Super Saiyans. Yamcha retires from fighting for the same reasons as Tien. Krillin continues to live with Master Roshi, and after a few years, eventually reunites with and later marries Android 18. They soon have a daughter named Marron, and thus Krillin stops training as well. Piccolo decides to live with Dende and Mr. Popo on Kami's Lookout, continuing to train and meditate there. Vegeta resolves to never fight again now that Goku is dead and marries Bulma as they continue raising their son Trunks together. Some time after Goku's death, Chi-Chi gives birth to their second son Goten. Finally, Gohan keeps his promise to his mother Chi-Chi and gives up fighting to study and become a scholar.
Majin Buu Saga
By the beginning of the Majin Buu conflict seven years later, the Z Fighters consists of many "next-gen" type characters. Gohan is seventeen and is the primary hero of Earth, both as a Super Saiyan and his alter ego "Great Saiyaman". At school, he meets and falls in love with Videl. On the occasion of the 25th World Martial Arts Tournament, Goku is granted 24 hours to visit with his family and friends, and meets Goten for the first time. Upon being visited by Shin, the Universe 7 Supreme Kai, the Z Fighters learn about the forthcoming resurrection of Majin Buu, and they immediately head out to battle the monster. The Z-Team is not really continued, per se, based on the fact that their opponent Majin Buu was so powerful, it mainly called upon one single person to fight him. However, considering the fighters in this time period, it can be said that the new Z Fighters consist of the following: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, his son Trunks, and Goku's second son Goten. An additional member is Mr. Satan, Videl's father who took credibility for defeating Cell, but ends up serving as a positive influence on Majin Buu. Majin Buu wipes out almost the entire human population and defeats all the living warriors until it was just Piccolo, Trunks and Goten left. Gohan was thought to have been killed, but was saved by Shin and Kibito, and sent to their world for training. However, Gohan, Goten, Trunks and Piccolo were ultimately all absorbed by Super Buu. Goku is finally brought back to life after the Old Kai transferred his life force to him, and performs the Fusion technique using the Potara Earrings with Vegeta to stop Buu (succeeding in freeing Gohan and the others in the process), but Buu succeeds in blowing up the Earth, killing everyone except Goku, Vegeta, Dende, and Mr. Satan. Goku and Vegeta have their final fight with Buu, using the Sacred World of the Kai as the battle ground. They almost lose but Goku and Vegeta were able to win the battle and defeat Majin Buu for good with the aid of Mr. Satan and Good Buu. Also worth noting is that unlike the Android conflict, the Majin Buu comflict is when Vegeta voluntarily became a hero, despite a brief betrayal when he allowed Babidi to take control of him in order to force Goku to fight him. He fought for his family and to save the Earth, even sacrificing himself in an attempt to kill Majin Buu. He also later came up with the idea of Goku using a Super Spirit Bomb that destroyed Kid Buu at the very end, confirming his redemption and ultimately leading him to reconcile with the rest of the team.
Battle of Gods
During Bulma's 45th birthday party, the God of Destruction Beerus and his attendant Whis unexpectedly show up looking for the Super Saiyan God. Beerus finds Goku first and has a sparring session at Goku's request, and easily beats him in two blows before heading to Earth. Remembering Beerus and knowing how dangerous he is, Vegeta makes sure nothing angers Beerus into blowing up the Earth. After Mr. Buu enrages Beerus and he decides to destroy the Earth, the various fighters make a futile effort to stop him.
Although they fail they do manage to stall him long enough for Goku to show up, who has the idea to ask Shenron about the Super Saiyan God. Confirming with Shenron that they need to pool the hearts of five righteous Saiyans into another, Trunks, Goten, Gohan, Vegeta and Videl (who is pregnant with her and Gohan's daughter Pan) do as instructed and transform Goku into a Super Saiyan God who fights Beerus.
Although Goku fails to defeat the godly foe he does stall him long enough for his stamina to run out and fall asleep. Afterwards Whis takes Beerus back home.
Following Beerus's retreat, Vegeta and later Goku convinces Whis to take them on as students who puts them through grueling intensive physical and Ki Control training with the goal of mastering their godly Ki. During this time, they both achieved the new Super Saiyan Blue transformation. Meanwhile, the remnants of the Galactic Frieza Army travel to Earth and secretly use the Dragon Balls to resurrect Frieza and similarly puts himself through grueling training for about four months to draw out his full potential. Frieza then sets out to Earth to kill Goku in revenge.
The Z-Fighters are informed of what is happening and try to contact Goku and Vegeta to no avail. The Z-Fighters unite to fend them off when they arrived on Earth looking for the Saiyans. After the Z-Fighters have been severely injured from attacks by Frieza and Captain Ginyu (in Tagoma's body), Gohan flares up his Ki and Goku is able to use it as a beacon to lock onto the group and use his Instant Transmission technique to transport both himself and Vegeta to Earth, with Beerus and Whis following them shortly after.
After an intensive fight with Frieza, during which Goku endures his Golden Frieza form, Frieza's subordinate Sorbet fatally wounds Goku when he lets his guard down, prompting Vegeta to step in to finish off the resurrected tyrant and almost succeeds in destroying him as Frieza realizes he is no match against Vegeta. Unfortunately Frieza destroys the Earth at the last second and all the Z-Fighters with it with the exception of those standing next to Whis at the time. Realizing Frieza may still be alive, Whis rewinds time for three minutes and Goku rushes in to kill Frieza seconds before he can destroy the planet.
Universe 6 Saga
While Goku and Vegeta are training on Beerus's home world one day, they receive an unexpected visit from Beerus's twin brother Champa who has come to boast of Universe 6's delicacies. Instead he learns of Earth's vastly superior quality of food and after confirming that his Universe's Earth has been destroyed he proposes a fighting tournament with Universe 7's Earth, in which the winning universe will keep the Earth. For the tournament, Goku and Vegeta recruit fellow Z-Fighters Majin Buu and Piccolo and Beerus recruits Monaka.
After Group's numbers are reduced to four following Buu's failing the written exam Goku is the first to fight and defeats Botamo before being defeated in turn by Frost. Although the ruling is later reversed following the revelation about Frost's use of an anesthetic needle. Piccolo is the second to fight and after a prolonged Battle against Frost resigns after Frost's cheating is exposed so that Vegeta could give him the beating that he deserves.
Vegeta goes on to defeat Auta Magetta after a fight that eats away his stamina and destroys most of the arena in the process. Vegeta then goes onto fight Cabba and train him a little bit by forcing him to go Super Saiyan before defeating him using Super Saiyan Blue. Vegeta is finally defeated by Hit using his Time-Skip power to brutally subdue Vegeta allowing Goku to fight once again. With Goku the assassin finally meets his match as Goku is able to figure out how to counter Time-Skip.
The fight against Goku forces Hit to improve upon his skills for the first time in his life and as a result of the all out battle Hit and Goku, who recklessly uses the combination of Super Saiyan Blue and Kaio-Ken to fight with the Assassin and ultimately withdraw when he realizes the technique has put too much strain on his body and he can't make the assassin fight all out. Unexpectedly however, Universe 7 still wins when Hit resigns the final match against Monaka, whom he realizes is actually a weakling.
"Future" Trunks Saga
Future Trunks travels to the main timeline again after a new threat, Goku Black, drives the human race of the Alternate timeline onto the brink of extinction again. After fending off Black for a short while Trunks trains with his father while Goku visits Zeno and investigates Black's origins. After a couple of visits to the alternate timeline, the Z-Fighters learn about Black's ally, the rogue Kai deity Future Zamasu and how he came to be.
After trying to eliminate the present Zamasu before he can become Black fails to neutralize the threat Goku instead learns the Evil Containment Wave to contain the immortal and insane Future Zamasu. When that plan fails The two villains use their Potara to fuse together and become Fused Zamasu and their body is eventually destroyed by the combined efforts of Goku, Vegeta and Future Trunks though their soul still survives and attempt to become one with both the alternate twelve universes and the present set.
When all hope seems lost Goku uses the button Zeno gave him and summoned the Future Zeno who becomes enraged with the actions of the disembodied Supreme Kai and erases him alongside the entire alternate timeline. Goku takes Future Zeno and brings him to meet the present Zeno while Whis decides to alter the history of the alternate timeline and restore it this time without the mad Supreme Kai to interfere with it.
Universe Survival Saga
After Goku persuades Zeno to hold a martial arts tournament including all of the 12 universes to test each of the universes' warriors strength, the Omni-King decided to use this as a test to decided with low-level universe should remain, to which the losing universes will be erased by Zeno, along with its inhabitants and deities. Many of the Z Fighters were reluctant to participate but Goku lied to them that there would be a large prize money to the winning universe. The fighters selected for Universe 7 are: Majin Buu (who was the first fighter to participate in the preliminary rounds), Krillin (who decided to regain his battle strength in order to impress his family), Android 18 (who wanted the prize money), Android 17 (who agreed for the same reason as 18), Vegeta (who at first refused because of his unborn daughter Bulla, but agreed after the birth), Roshi (to collect the award for dirty magazines), Tien (who agreed to use the award to rebuild his dojo), Gohan (who is the first one to find out the truth and agreed in order to protect his family), and Piccolo (who also learns the truth and agrees in order to help Gohan regain his full potential). Based on his intelligence and combat strategies, Gohan was selected as the leader of Universe 7. When the group figured out Goku's lie, they were angry but still agreed to participate to defend their universe.
A couple of hours before the tournament begins, Majin Buu falls asleep and won't be waking up in time. Goku decides to ask for Frieza to return from Hell and join the team as a replacement, much to everyone's shock.
When the tournament commences, Goku, Vegeta, 17, 18, and Frieza ignore the team's defense strategy to fight in groups and fight in solo instead. Goku is the first member to win a fight but is targeted by other revenge-fueled fighters. After Universe 7 defeats Universe 9 and the latter is erased, the team begins to fight in groups to take out their opponents more quickly. Krillin is the first member to be eliminated. Goku is more interested in fighting Top and Jiren from Universe 11. Tien and Master Roshi are eventually eliminated. Goku fights Jiren and achieves the Ultra Instinct -Sign- form but he is unable to defeat Jiren. By the time of the tournament's half-way phase, Universe 7 is in the lead with Universe 6 as having the most warriors left. Piccolo and Android 18 are eventually eliminated. In the final phase, the only remaining universes are 7 and 11, with Gohan and Vegeta eliminated. Ultimately, Goku and Frieza defeat Jiren together by causing a triple elimination ring-out. With Android 17 being the final combatant standing, Universe 7 is declared the winner. 17 then uses his wish on the Super Dragon Balls to restore all the erased universes. After Frieza's life is completely restored by Whis as a gift for his assistance, the Z Fighters part ways with Frieza and return to Earth.
Some time after the Tournament of Power, Frieza has reformed his galactic army and continues to conquer various planets. During this time, two members of the Frieza Force, Cheelai and Lemo, encounter two other Saiyans, Paragus and his son Broly, who had been stranded on the barren planetoid Vampa for several decades. Frieza then recruits Broly to defeat Goku and Vegeta for him on Earth. When it seems that Broly is losing, Frieza kills Paragus to trick Broly into unleashing his rage and transform into a Super Saiyan for the first time. After Broly's new power proves to be too much for both Goku and Vegeta, they trick him into attacking Frieza while they teleport to Piccolo's location. Piccolo then helps the two Saiyans perform the Fusion Dance for the first time (as their previous fusions were done with the Potara earrings), and the fused warrior Gogeta successfully overpowers Broly. However, Cheelai and Lemo use the Dragon Balls to teleport Broly back to Vampa before he can be destroyed. Goku later teleports to Vampa as well to provide the trio of friends with Capsule supplies as an offer of friendship from himself. Goku also offers to train Broly to master his power as Goku would like to spar with Broly again which Broly accepts due to lacking his counterparts' hatred of Kakarot.
Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga
The Z Fighters team up with the Galactic Patrol when the Moro Corps invade.
Peaceful World Saga
Ten years following Buu's defeat, the group temporarily disbands, with Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and Krillin being too busy with their families, and the others retiring for good from the group. During the 28th World Tournament, Goku leaves to train Majin Buu's reincarnation, a young boy named Uub, whom he hopes will become Earth's protector.
During Dragon Ball GT, after the ending Dragon Ball Z, the main fighters for the most part tend to be Goku, Trunks and Gohan's daughter Pan, who spend a year traveling across the universe to collect the Black Star Dragon Balls and avoid the Earth from blowing up. The Z Fighters are faced against an artificial Tuffle Baby, who arrives on Earth to seek revenge against the Saiyans for destroying the Tuffle race. He takes control of Vegeta's body and places the entire human race under his control with the exemption of Goku, Pan, Mr. Satan, Majin Buu, and Uub. Goku is briefly defeated and Uub steps in but is still unable to beat Baby after Majin Buu sacrifices himself to merge with Uub. Goku is able to transform into Super Saiyan 4 and it becomes clear Baby is not able to win, especially after Gohan, Trunks, and Goten are freed from Baby's control. Baby tries to escape but is killed by Goku. Everyone later evacuates the planet before it explodes, except Piccolo who dies to ensure the Black Star Dragon Balls disappear. After the Earth is restored, the previous enemies of the Z Fighters escape Hell, who easily kill each one of them. Goku travels to Hell to stop the situation but is trapped there with Frieza and Cell. Android 17 kills Krillin and merges with a copy Android 17 created by Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu, becoming Super 17, and defeats Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, and Goten. Goku joins forces with 18 and they are able to destroy Super 17. When they try to use the Dragon Balls, the Shadow Dragons appear due to the frequent use of them. Goku defeats the majority, only to finally be outmatched by Syn Shenron, who later becomes "Omega" Shenron. Gohan, Trunks, and Goten arrive to assist but are no match. Vegeta later arrives and with Bulma's help transforms into a Super Saiyan 4 himself, allowing him and Goku to fuse into Gogeta. Their fusion eventually wears off, and Goku is nearly killed. The final effort of the warrior team is against Omega, in which Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, and Goten attempt to fight him, despite all failing miserably. Goku eventually returns and kills Omega with a Universal Spirit Bomb. After reviving all the victims of the chaos, Goku leaves with Shenron to train in the Other World and selects Vegeta as the Earth's primary defender.
100 years later
In the computer game Dragon Ball Online, Goku left Earth for different reasons than in GT, and Majin Buu created the Majin race. Much of the final activity of the Z Fighters is fleshed out: Gohan wrote a book about ki manipulation titled "Groundbreaking Science", Krillin founded the New Turtle School, Tien Shinhan founded the New Crane School, and Trunks and Goten created the Kikoukenjutsu Sword School.
100 years after the Baby Saga, only Pan has survived. The other Z Fighters have died of natural causes, while two new warriors, Goku Jr. and Vegeta Jr. (the descendants of the original Z Fighters of the same names), now exist.
Main article: The History of Trunks
In Future Trunks' alternate timeline, Future Goku died of a deadly heart virus six months before the arrival of the androids. He could not be wished back, since the Dragon cannot revive anyone who died of natural causes, on top of which, he had already been wished back once. When the androids did arrive, they proceeded to slaughter Future Piccolo, Future Vegeta, Future Tien Shinhan, Future Yamcha, Future Krillin, and Future Chiaotzu in a horrible battle. Future Gohan somehow managed to survive, only to be killed thirteen years later. The only surviving fighter was Future Trunks, who traveled back in time in an attempt, not to change history (as the manipulation of the past would only cause that timeline to take a different path, creating an alternate, separate future), but to see if Goku could help him find a weakness in the Androids; that way, although he could do nothing for those already dead (with Piccolo gone, so were the Dragon Balls), he could still save those who were still alive. After the defeat of Cell, Future Trunks returned to his own time and was successful in killing both of the androids and Future Cell, thus finally ending the nightmare.
Unfortunately, Future Trunks’ timeline did not last long when an evil entity known as Goku Black (later revealed to be Zamasu of pre-rewind present timeline) and Future Zamasu massacres every mortal in the entire universe of the original alternate timeline, including Future Bulma and the other remaining alternate future gods for their own end, Project Zero Mortals, even though Future Trunks requires help from the Z warriors of the original present timeline. Without any options, Future Zeno erased the original alternate timeline and kills the merged Zamasu out of the existence, leaving Future Trunks as the only surviving Z Fighter member left to exist, along with Future Mai. To counteract Zamasu's evil plan from repeating itself in the past of the alternate timeline, Whis went to warn another alternate future version of himself and another Future Beerus, and thus a creating new alternate future timeline for Future Trunks and Future Mai to live without any hard feelings on meeting the other versions of themselves from that new timeline.
- Goku – The main character who is a co-founder of the Z Team. He is one of the most powerful members of the team and is often tasked with the role of team champion, dispatching the most powerful enemy after his allies have been defeated or incapacitated (this notably is often due, in part, to his late arrival on the battlefield for a variety of reasons).
- Master Roshi – The turtle hermit, he was Goku's second official mentor (after Grandpa Gohan). Despite being physically one of the weaker members, Roshi is able to use his massive experience and skills at fighting opponents much stronger than himself. Following the fight with King Piccolo, Master Roshi retires to leave the fighting to the next generation of fighters. However, he returns as a fighter during Frieza's revenge, and becomes a member of Team Universe 7 in the Tournament of Power.
- Yamcha – Once a fearsome desert bandit. Chronologically, he is Goku's first fighting ally. He retires around the World Tournament Saga, but in Dragon Ball Super he rejoins and plays a prominent role during the Universe 6 vs Universe 7 baseball match, becoming Team Universe 7's team captain and ace in the hole. Yamcha returns as a fighter during the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga, where he assists his fellow Z-Fighters and Galactic Patrol in defending the Earth.
- Krillin – He is Goku's best friend and former schoolmate and rival. Krillin typically is depicted in a supportive or planning role, usually as part of a greater scheme or initiating a feint. He also typically provides some comic relief for the team.
- Tien Shinhan – He is a former assassin and Goku's former rival. Tien remains a supportive character for much of his role in the series and often buys time for stronger fighters against powerful opponents. In Dragon Ball Super, Tien is once again an active member of the team and resumes his role of buying time for others and using his own unique techniques to defeat troublesome foes for his allies.
- Chiaotzu – He is Tien's best friend and former schoolmate. His last fight on the team is against Nappa (and against the Ginyu Force on King Kai's Planet in the anime), as Tien says that Chiaotzu "just can't keep up". Despite this, Chiaotzu remains diligent in his training (as he can seen hepling Tien on occasions in some filler acs). In the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga, Chiaotzu returns as a fighter, assisting the Galactic Patrol against Moro's Galactic Brigade alongside Tien Shinhan.
- Yajirobe – He primarily helps by delivering Senzu Beans from Korin, as he dislikes combat. He also played a big part in defeating Vegeta by cutting off his tail during the Vegeta Saga.
- Piccolo – Once Goku's archrival, he becomes one of his greatest allies. As the two of them were the strongest fighters on earth at the time, Piccolo co-founded the Z Fighters team with Goku. Piccolo considers strategy to be just as valuable as raw power, as he's been shown to outsmart opponents (as seen with his fights against Cell) and outfight stronger foes (like Shisami and Frost).
- Nail - Previously the strongest of Namek's Warrior-type Namekians, he aided the Dragon Team on Namek before ultimately fusing with Piccolo.
- Kami – A Namekian who is the Guardian of Earth and creator of the Dragon Balls, his fights are limited to movies and the 23rd World Martial Arts Tournament under the guise of Hero. He ultimately fuses with Piccolo during the Cell saga.
- Gohan – The eldest son of Goku. Gohan remains in a supportive role for much of the series, and under the tutelage of other, more powerful fighters, but at the end of the Cell Games, he briefly takes on his father's mantle of team champion and thereafter occasionally steps into a mentor role himself. In the Universal Survival Saga anime, Gohan takes on the role of team leader for Team Universe 7 due to being far more intelligent.
- Vegeta – Vegeta begins as an enemy of the team who later joins reluctantly to have a chance at fighting the android threat. Through most of the series, Vegeta is only a sometime ally who in practice does almost as much harm as good due to his arrogance and ruthlessness, but his power, determination, and cunning make him nevertheless the "devil they need" in many situations.
- Future Trunks – The time-traveling version of Trunks from a devastated future. He is a Saiyan/Human hybrid. This Trunks, while also an occasional front-line support, was most useful to the team as a guide due to his knowledge of future events. During Dragon Ball Super, this version of Trunks eventually returned to get help from the Z Fighters once more.
- Android 18 – An android originally built only for revenge on Goku, but she eventually marries Krillin and changes her ways. She sometimes opts not to fight at all and instead choses to remain behind to protect her daughter.
- Trunks – Vegeta's only son. Trunks, being an unpolished youth for most of his appearance in the series, is either portrayed as comic relief (alongside Goten) to the more serious action the adults face or in a support role. As Gotenks (see below).
- Goten – The second and last son of Goku, whose appearance closely resembles his father's. Much like Trunks, Goten's role is as a comic relief or a supportive character. He also helps to introduce an older Gohan in a mentor role.
- Good Buu – Once an evil magical being, he betrayed Babidi, befriended Mr. Satan, and battled his evil incarnation, Evil Buu, as well as aided Goku and Vegeta in the conflict against his evil counterpart, Kid Buu. In GT he is assimilated with Uub to form Majuub.
- Pan – The granddaughter of Goku, and daughter to Gohan. She helps gather the Black Star Dragon Balls and defeat all the villains who escape from Hell in Dragon Ball GT. One hundred years later, she is the last member of the Z Fighters still alive.
- Uub – A human reincarnation of the enemy Kid Buu, he becomes Goku's pupil at the end of the Dragon Ball Z series. He was originally intended to take over Goku's place as team champion but ended up taking on a supportive role as he was unable to compete against the escalation of powerful villains in Dragon Ball GT.
- Android 21 (Good) - In Dragon Ball FighterZ, the good Android 21 becomes a member of the Z Fighters with the goal of taking down her evil counterpart, however she sacrifices herself in the final battle, resulting in both their deaths.
- Bulma – The human wife of Vegeta and Goku's long time friend, she is a brilliant scientist and is also the daughter of the richest couple in the world. While Bulma is unable to physically fight most of the villains in the series, her gadgetry plays a key role in winning several battles as well as the search for the dragon balls.
- Oolong – Goku's shapeshifting pig friend, and one of the original members of the Dragon Team. He ultimately ends up saving the world from Emperor Pilaf by wishing for a pair of underwear on the Dragon Balls.
- Puar – A shapeshifting cat who is Yamcha's best friend, and a member of the original Dragon Team.
- Chi-Chi – The human wife of Goku and mother of Gohan and Goten.
- Ox-King – Chi-Chi's father, who lives on top of Fire Mountain.
- Launch – A longtime friend of the Z Fighters Goku, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu. She has few appearances after the end of Dragon Ball.
- Dr. Brief and Mrs. Brief - Parents of Bulma, and owners of Capsule Corporation.
- Upa - A young boy befriended by Goku after his father is killed. After the defeat of the Red Ribbon Army, Upa joins the team during their fight against Fortuneteller Baba's fighters.
- Bora - The father of Upa who is killed by Mercenary Tao. After the Dragon Balls are gathered, he is wished back to life.
- Korin – An 800-year-old cat that lives at the top of Korin Tower. He supplies the Z Fighters with Senzu Beans whenever he is able to.
- Fortuneteller Baba – The human sister of Master Roshi and a median between Other World and Earth. She has the ability to bring people back from the dead for one day, a technique that has been used by Goku, Vegeta, and Frieza during the series.
- Grandpa Gohan - The adoptive grandfather of Goku, and a former protege of Master Roshi.
- Mr. Popo – A genie with eternal life, who is The Kami's assistant and also the caretaker and gardener of The Lookout.
- King Kai – The king of the North Area, he teaches Goku techniques such as the Kaio-ken and Spirit Bomb.
- Dende – A Namekian with healing powers who serves as a supported during the conflict on Namek. He becomes Kami's replacement as Earth's Guardian.
- Mr. Satan – The champion of the World Martial Arts Tournament and Videl's father. While strong for a normal human, Mr. Satan is considerably weaker than the other members but makes up for it with his unique ability of Persuasion. This ability has made him a invaluable member of the team as he is able to convince anyone to do what he says, such as tricking the people of Earth that he is the one fighting Kid Buu so they could in reality give there energy to Goku for the Super Spirit Bomb. In Dragon Ball Super, he would fall into the role of Good Buu's handler and trainer. He also has a habit of taking credit for dealing with and defeating threats that the Dragon Team was responsible for such as Cell and Bojack, allowing the Dragon Team to avoid the attention of the general public.
- Videl – The human wife of Gohan, mother of Pan, and daughter of Mr. Satan. She is also the first World Tournament Junior Division Champion. Though she mostly retired from fighting after marrying Gohan, Videl is a capable fighter who learned to manipulate ki and fly from Gohan, and was a crime fighter while in high school originally in her civilian identity as Mr. Satan's daughter before adopting the costumed alter-ego of Great Saiyawoman after the defeat of Kid Buu. She has also confronted villains in films such as Broly in Broly -Second Coming, escapees from Hell in Fusion Reborn, and Hirudegarn in Wrath of the Dragon. After marrying Gohan, she takes on a supporting role as wife to Gohan and mother of Pan whom she allowed to train in the martial arts.
- Marron – Krillin and Android 18's daughter.
- Shin – An even higher division than King Kai, he was the ruler of the east quadrant of the universe, but after the deaths of the other 4 Supreme Kais, he becomes the main ruler of Universe 7. He eventually fuses with his bodyguard Kibito, creating Kibito Kai. In Dragon Ball Super, he and Kibito defuse after making a wish to Porunga by Kibito Kai.
- Kibito – Shin's personal bodyguard. He can heal people and materialize new clothes for them, and eventually fuses with Shin, creating Kibito Kai. In Dragon Ball Super, he and Shin defuse after making a wish to Porunga by Kibito Kai.
- Old Kai – An ancient ancestor of the Kaioshin who was trapped inside the Z Sword for eons by Beerus. He performs a ritual that awakens Gohan's full power.
- Tights - Bulma's older sister who befriended Jaco in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman during his first mission on Earth. Currently works as a famous science fiction writer though occasional assists her sister and the Dragon Team in Dragon Ball Super usually when they need to get in contact with Jaco.
- Tarble - Vegeta's younger brother who was banished to Tech-Tech by King Vegeta due to his lack of aggression and fighting ability that lead him to be classified as low-class to the embarrassment of the royal House of Vegeta though this saved him from perishing during the Genocide of the Saiyans. Believes his elder brother was responsible for defeating Frieza and eventually travels to Earth after Tech-Tech is attacked by Frieza Force mercenaries Abo and Kado.
- Gure - Tarble's wife and Vegeta's sister-in-law. Visits Earth with her husband after fleeing Tech-Tech to escape Abo and Kado.
- Pilaf Gang (Pilaf, Shu and Mai) - Decades after fighting Goku, the gang seem to have been forgotten by the early Z Fighters who were around during their encounters and have befriended Trunks and Goten. The gang now lives at Capsule Corp. with the Briefs and Mai seems to have a budding romance with Trunks. In the future timeline, Future Mai is Future Trunks' closest ally and love interest.
- Future Mai - An alternate version of Mai, she is an ally of Future Trunks and has assisted him and co. several times throughout their many battles against Goku Black and Zamasu. Whenever Trunks is away in the present, Future Mai and her troops fight off Black until he returns.
- Bulla – Vegeta and Bulma's daughter and second child.
- Giru – A small Machine Mutant that appears in Dragon Ball GT. He accompanies Goku, Pan and Trunks on their quest to locate the Black Star Dragon Balls after consuming the Dragon Radar for energy, and the radar integrates into his software.
- Android 8 - An android made to serve the Red Ribbon Army, but was seen as defective because of his kind nature. He befriends Goku during his journey in Muscle Tower, ultimately destroying it.
- King Furry - The King of Earth who witnessed the terrifying return of King Piccolo that ended with the Demon King's death at the hands of Goku. Though King Furry attempted to award the young savior of Earth the Blue Star Medal in recognition for his heroism, he was more concerned with resurrecting Shenron who King Piccolo had killed. Though Goku was hailed as a hero at the time, his heroics were eventually forgotten by most of the Earth's general population and though King Furry is largely ignorant of the Dragon Team's existence, he remembers Goku's defeat of King Piccolo. During the Baby Saga, he is made aware of the Earth's impending destruction due to the Black Star Dragon Balls and assists the Dragon Team's evacuation of Earth population to Planet Tuffle by spreading the word of the planet's fate to Earth's population.
- Android 16 – An android who was originally created to destroy Goku, but was regarded as a failure by Dr. Gero. After his first battle with Cell, he turns to the side of good and offers to fight alongside the Z Fighters at the Cell Games.
- Beerus - The God of Destruction of Universe 7. He fights against Goku once he unlocks the Super Saiyan God form, but is also relatively supportive of the Z-Fighters. He tends to only assist because of his love of Earth's cuisine, if the balance of the whole universe were to be at stake, or angered by a particular villain's behavior such as Zamasu and Dr. Mashirito whom he effortlessly destroyed with Hakai.
- Whis - The attendant to the God of Destruction of Universe 7. Whis trains Goku and Vegeta to learn how to harness God Ki properly. He reversed time after Frieza destroyed the Earth so Goku could destroy him. Usually he and Beerus only assist for food.
- Jaco – A Galactic Patrolman who first appeared in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman. He fights alongside the Z Fighters in Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ and Golden Frieza Saga of Dragon Ball Super.
- Cabba - A Saiyan from Universe 6 and member of Team Universe 6 whom Vegeta mentors. Despite being enemies during competitions between Universe 6 and Universe 7, Cabba refers to Vegeta as master and Vegeta made a promise to him that Universe 6 would be revived if Universe 6 was erased during the Tournament of Power. During the Universal Conflict Saga, Vegeta and Future Trunks aid Cabba and his allies in fighting the vengeful Universe 6 Neo Machine Mutant Tuffles Kamin and Oren of the Core Area Warriors.
- Android 17 - The brother of Android 18 and brother-in-law of Krillin. He allied with the Dragon Team in the Tournament of Power, ultimately winning it and wishing all the erased universes back. In the Universal Conflict Saga, he rejoins the team to fight the Core Area Warriors.
- Frieza - The evil emperor of Universe 7 is usually a foe of the Dragon Team, however due to the arrival of greater threats he has been forced to work alongside the Dragon Team multiple times.
- Cell Juniors - The offspring of Cell created during the Cell Games to anger Gohan who after becoming a Super Saiyan 2 following the death of Android 16 defeated them for hurting his friends and father. However in the manga it is revealed they regenerated and were not destroyed. However fortunately Android 17 found and tamed them letting them live on Monster Island which they fiercely protect as Marron, Goten, and Trunks found out while defending the island for Android 17 (who had forgotten to inform them of the Cell Juniors' presence) while he was participating in the Tournament of Power. Fortunately Goten and Trunks were wearing Ranger uniforms which caused the Cell Juniors to cease their attack recognizing them as allies of Android 17 and fellow protectors of the island.
- Broly, Cheelai and Lemo - A trio of Frieza Force deserters, after Broly was defeated by Gogeta they were given aid by Goku.
- Merus - The ace of the Galactic Patrol, worked alongside Goku and Vegeta after Moro broke out of Galactic Prison.
- Irico - A Tech-Tech alien Galactic Patrolman who works alongside Merus and Jaco. Also transports Vegeta to Planet Yardrat so he can train with the Yardrat to learn some kind of useful technique to defeat Moro.
- Tekka - In the Timespace Rift, the main protagonist of Dragon Ball Fusions and Dragon Ball Fusions the Manga!! meets and befriends several members of the Dragon Team from various eras and timelines as well as receiving training from Adult Goku who acts as a mentor to them and their team, along with Bulma, Master Roshi, King Kai, King Yemma, Korin, and Kami.
- Pinich - In the Timespace Rift, Pinich is Tekka's Saiyan befriend/rival in Dragon Ball Fusions and Dragon Ball Fusions the Manga!!. Pinich is mentored by Vegeta and becomes a Super Saiyan after witnessing Tekka's struggling against Gogeta in the Tournament which inspires Tekka allowing them to defeat Gogeta. When Pinich and his teammates become part of Ultra Pinich after being manipulated by Frieza and Cell, Goku & Vegeta hold off Beerus while Tekka's Team chase after Ultra Pinich to free Pinich and his two innocent teammates Wanta and Paprika. After Ultra Pinich defuses Pinich and Tekka fuse via EX-Fusion to defeat Cell and Frieza's EX-Fusion, Celluza. In Dragon Ball Fusions after Celluza's defeat, Pinich and his remaining teammates join Tekka's Team which defeats the Legendary Champion to win the Timespace Tournament.
- Necke - In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Necke is one of the few Namekians that survive the planet wide invasion by the Frieza Force and like his brother Dende, Necke is rescued by Gohan. However the young child is weary of non-Namekians due to witnessing the evil of the Frieza Force and is distrustful of Gohan at first. However his kindness in help Necke who due to the trauma he suffered left him with a stress disorder which prevents his body from acquiring nutrients from water and Gohan helps him survive by teaching him how to eat local Namekian Fruit which his body is able to acquire nutrients from. After Gohan had done all he can, Necke resolves to survive on his own. Like the other revived Namekians, Necke is transported to Earth by Porunga and stays with the Brief family briefly, but due to his condition decides to remain on Earth due to solid food being relatively available. After the defeat of Kid Buu, Gohan finds the teenage Necke had been living alone in the wilderness as he wishes to avoid frightening Earthlings with his appearance but saves a local young girl named Ramu from Olive Village and returns with her as she had grown fond of her savior. This leads Necke to defend Ramu and her father from Saibamen before being saved again by Gohan. Afterwards he accepts an invitation from Ramu's father to live with them in Olive Village.
- Melone - An alien chef in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot who joined the Frieza Force so he could be assgned to go to Namek as he wishes to find several rare fruit found on the planet which not only can he use as ingredients but also increase power level due to having unique effects on members of his unnamed race. As he goes AWOL to look for them he is afraid that Gohan and Krillin were Frieza Force soldiers sent after him due to his desertion and then wearing Battle Armor at the time. Upon learning his story, Gohan and Krillin help him gather the fruit during the Sub Story "Rogue Chef Melone". Though they briefly suspect he had tricked them when he reveals the effect the fruits have on him, they are relieved when he uses the power to crack open the hard shell of one of the fruits and makes them the Ultimate Fruit Juice as thanks for their help.
- Raditz - In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, after Raditz is revived by Piccolo using the Dragon Balls in Age 763 and fails to defeat him during the Sub Story "The Pride of a Saiyan Warrior", Piccolo offers him the opportunity to train with the Dragon Team in order to become stronger as Raditz wishes to one day to surpass them. However like Vegeta at the time (who was focused on attaining Super Saiyanhood in order to surpass Goku), he only does so in order to hopefully one day become strong enough to defeat them and intends to return to his evil ways once he does so. Additionally he only agrees to with them and does not actually join them in protecting the Earth.
- Nappa - In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, after Nappa is revived in Age 763 (due to game mechanics the Dragon Balls only take 20 minutes of real world time to recharge after being used in-game during Intermissions between the main sagas) by Gohan who wishes to fight him again and fails when he tries to put Gohan in his place during the Sub Story "Saiyan Power" only to discover Gohan has surpassed him since they last fought. Recognizing Gohan's strength, Nappa agrees to follow Gohan's way of doing things though notes that as a Saiyan Warrior if he manages to one days surpass them then he will be the one calling the shots which Gohan agrees with. Thus like Raditz, he forms a agreement to train with the Dragon Team though plans to return to his evil ways once he surpasses them and does not actually join them in protecting the Earth.
- Dodoria - In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, after Dodoria is revived in Age 763 by Gohan in an attempt to persuade him to change his evil ways in the Sub Story "Power is Justice!" and Gohan demonstrates the superior power level that causes Dodoria's Scouter (which was apparently restored when he was resurrected) to explode is not a malfunction as Dodoria suggestd by defeating Dodoria, he fearfully agrees to change his ways out if fear if being killed again.
- Zarbon - In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, after Zarbon is revived in Age 763 by Gohan in an attempt to persuade him to change his evil ways, Zarbon initially refuses forcing Gohan to fight him in his base and Monster Forms. After defeating both forms, Zarbon agrees Gohan is superior though he delusionally believes he can mold the boy into the next Galactic Emperor by training him however Gohan decides to play along as he concludes Zarbon is at least willing to listen to him.
- Capsule Corporation - A successful corporation founded by Dr. Brief and run by members of the Brief family that is responsible for the development of numerous inventions and technology. Due to the Brief family's history and long standing association with the Dragon Team, the company is firmly allied with them and its resources (capsules, clothing/armor, vehicles, training equipment, etc.) are often put to use by members of the Dragon Team.
- Turtle School - The school of martial art founded by the Turtle Hermit, Master Roshi. Both its founder and several of his students are members of the Dragon Team.
- Saiya Squad - A superhero team consisting of Gohan in the guise of Great Saiyaman and Videl in the guise of Great Saiyawoman that fight for justice in Satan City.
- Team Universe 7 - A team that represents Universe 7 in the Tournament of Destroyers, Universe 6 & Universe 7 Baseball Match, and Tournament of Power.
- Time Patrol - A group founded by Chronoa and Future Trunks or Xeno Trunks (depending on the media) to defend history. Often its Time Patrollers assist the Z Fighters at various points in history which have been altered by villains such as the Dark Empire and Demigra. Goku has also helped the Time Patrol in the final battles with both Demigra in Xenoverse and Mira in Xenoverse 2.
- Dragon Ball Heroes - A team of Super Dragon Ball Heroes players recruited to deal with anomalies in the DBH game world.
- Galactic Patrol - The galactic law enforcement organization who apprehend intergalactic criminals after being defeated by any of the members in the Dragon Team. Goku and Vegeta are also recruited temporarily during the Galactic Patrol Prisoner Saga to stop the escaped prisoner and evil wizard, Planet Eater Moro. Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Android 18 (paid by Capsule Corp.), Android 17, Master Roshi, Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu are also deputized to fight against the Moro Corps.
- Earth's Resistance - The resistance movement allied with the Dragon Team against the incarnations of Zamasu in his Zero Mortals Plan conflict. At least two members of the resistance where members of the Dragon Team (though Future Yajirobe was only a member of the Future Dragon Team who survived the Future Android Conflict thanks to Future Korin, while Future Trunks is a member of both the main timeline and future timeline incarnations of the Dragon Team).
- Earth's Military - Though the military is virtually unaware of the Dragon Team both groups share the same goal of protecting Earth and Goku was instrumental in putting an end to both the Red Ribbon Army and the Demon King Piccolo whom the military were ill equipped to deal with. During the Cell Games Saga, upon learning of Cell's massacre of the military units sent to confront him before the Cell Games, Goku sought to revive them along with Cell's other victims which lead to him to find a new Namekian to be guardian so the Earth's Dragon Balls can be restored with the soldiers being revived by Shenron after Dende restored him. Additionally in the anime, Gotenks attempts to warn the army their tanks were useless against Innocent Buu, again showing the Dragon Team does not wish to see soldiers die needlessly. However the army is aware of Mr. Satan who's assistance they sought against Buu after it became apparent they stood no chance against the monster. In Future Trunks timeline, the Earth's resistance is comprised of surviving members of Earth's military who lived through the future Android conflict.
- Earth Police - Krillin works as a police officer and members of the Dragon Team such as Gohan, Videl, and Goku occasionally support law enforcement in dealing with dangerous criminals and/or find themselves forced to deal with them. With the exception of Krillin, most law enforcement are ignorant of the Dragon Team's existence though they are aware of heroes and martial artists associated with it such as the Saiya Squad, Good Buu, Videl, Mr. Satan, and Pan due them being public figures. In Dragon Ball Super, Goku also turns in some criminals that tried to rob him and was given reward money for apprehending them.
- Monster Island Rangers - Rangers that protect Monster Island from poachers due to the number of animals and rare creatures living there. Android 17 works as a member with Goten and Trunks working as substitutes for him while he took part in the Tournament of Power. The surviving Cell Juniors consider them to be allies after Android 17 tamed them and protect the island alongside them.
- Frieza Force - The evil army lead by Frieza and long time enemies of the Dragon Team. Though normally enemies, in the Enemy Warrior Arc the Dragon Team joins forces with the Frieza Force (consisting of Frieza, Nappa, the Ginyu Force, and Frieza's ally Cell) to take down Android 21 and her army of cloned fighters. However the truce between them ends once Android 21 is destroyed.
- Team Universe 6 - Despite being adversaries during competitions between Universe 6 and Universe 7, the Dragon Team comes to aid them in fighting the Core Area Warriors during the Universal Conflict Saga.
- Team Universe 11 - Despite being adversaries during the Tournament of Power, the Dragon Team comes to aid them in fighting the Core Area Warriors during the Universal Conflict Saga.
- Tekka's Team - A team founded by Tekka, Trunks, and Goten in the Timespace Rift to participate in the Timespace Tournament created by Tekka and their Saiyan rival Pinich's wish to Shenron. Joined by Kid Goku from the period he was training under Kami and Pan from the GT Era, the team faces many challenges, allies, and enemies along the way and manage to recruit many other allies from GT Era Bulla, Gine, Bardock, Gohan (Teen/Adult/Great Saiyaman), Future Trunks (DBZ/DBS), Videl (DBZ/Great Saiyaman 2), Android 16, Android 17, Android 18, Arale Norimaki, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chaiotzu, Uub (Base/Super), Piccolo, Nail, Pikkon, Good Buu, Supreme Kai, Kibito Kai, Nouva Shenron, Cooler (Super Evolution)/Meta-Cooler, and many others. Tekka's Team masters various forms of fusion and receives training from King Kai, Master Roshi, Adult Goku (DBS), and Bulma during their adventures confronting the Ginyu Force, Frieza, Cell, and various other villains. During the tournament, Frieza and Cell join Pinich's Team to perform Five-Way Fusion creating the Ultimate Ultra Fusion Ultra Pinich whom threatens to destroy the entire Timespace Rift forcing Tekka's Team to chase after Ultra Pinich when Beerus and Whis intervenes and attempts to destroy him despite his fusee Pinich, Wanta, and Paprika being innocent pawns manipulated by Frieza and Cell who control the fusion. With the assistance of Adult Goku and Pinich's mentor Vegeta (DBS), Tekka's Team work to free Pinich, Wanta, and Paprika. After defeating Ultra Pinich causing him to defuse, Tekka and Pinich fuse to defeat Celluza the EX-Fusion of Cell and Frieza. After Celluza's defeat, Pinich, Wanta, and Paprika join Tekka's Team which faces and defeats the Legendary Champion to win the Timespace Tournament.
- Charging Rush
- Rush Blast
- Hyper Rush
- Hyper Blast
- Saiyan Attack (Goku & Gohan)
- Demon Fusion Wave (Goku & Piccolo)
- Double Attack (Goku & Piccolo, or Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta)
- Full-Nelson Special Beam Cannon (Goku & Piccolo)
- Demon Cannon (Gohan & Piccolo)
- Evil Shot (Gohan & Piccolo)
- Heavenly Sunlight (Krillin & Tien)
- Crane Wolf Strike (Yamcha & Tien)
- Energy Unleashed (Gohan & Krillin)
- Seismic Energy Ray (Krillin & Gohan)
- Spirit Saucer (Krillin & Yamcha)
- Quad Siege (Tien & Piccolo)
- Earthling Strike (Krillin, Yamcha, Tien)
- Warriors of Earth (Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe)
- Meteor Impact (Gohan, Goku, Piccolo)
- Platonic Energy (Krillin, Goku, Gohan)
- Demon-Wolf-Crane (Piccolo, Yamcha, Tien)
- Risking it all for a friend
- Fusion Spirit Bomb (Goku, Krillin, Gohan)
- Body Change Special (Goku & Ginyu)
- Combined Masenko (Gohan & Future Trunks)
- Garlic Buster (Vegeta & Future Trunks)
- Outsider Shot (Vegeta & Piccolo)
- Masenkosappo (Gohan & Piccolo)
- Multiple Kamehamehas:
- Kamehame Fever (Goku, Krillin, Yamcha)
- Master-Student Kamehameha (Master Roshi, Goku, Krillin)
- Father-Son Kamehameha (Gohan & Goku, or Gohan, Goku, Bardock)
- Bros. Kamehameha (Gohan & Goten)
- Family Kamehameha (Gohan, Goten, Goku)
- Ultimate Kamehameha (Goku & Gohan, or Goku, Gohan, Goten, or Goku, Gohan, Bardock)
- Friend Kamehameha (Goten & Trunks)
- Grandfather-Granddaughter Kamehameha (Goku & Pan)
- Twin Sword Slash (Gohan & Future Trunks)
- Dual Destructo-Disk (Krillin & Android 18)
- Fusion Dance (Goten & Trunks, Goku & Vegeta, Yamcha & Tien [Budokai 2], Krillin & Piccolo [Fusions], Future Gohan & Future Trunks [Fusions & Heroes])
- EX-Fusion (Kid Goten & Kid Trunks, Adult Goku & Vegeta, Yamcha & Tien, Krillin & Piccolo, Tien & Chiaotzu, Yamcha & Vegeta, Pinich & Vegeta, Krillin & Teen Gohan, Kid Goku & Krillin, Kid Goku & Teen Gohan, Adult Goku & Bardock, Adult Goku & Beerus, Adult Goku & Broly, Nuova Shenron & Goku, Piccolo & Pikkon, Piccolo & Kibito Kai, Beerus & Kibito Kai, Whis & Beerus, Adult Gohan & Piccolo, Kid Trunks & Teen Gohan, Kid Trunks & Future Trunks, Jaco & Future Trunks, Taipon & Future Trunks, Great Saiyaman & Jaco, Great Saiyaman & Great Saiyaman 2, Great Saiyaman & Mr.Satan, Good Buu & Mr. Satan, Videl & Pan, Bulla & Pan, Arale & 18, 16 & 17, 17 & 18)
- Five-Way Fusion (Tekka & Kid Trunks & Kid Goten & Kid Goku & Pan [Fusions])
- Potara Fusion (Goku & Vegeta, Xeno Vegeta & Xeno Trunks [Heroes])
- Charging Ultra Buu Buu Volleyball (Gotenks & Piccolo)
- Justice Judgment (Gohan & Videl)
- Gill Missile (Pan & Giru)
- Portal Opening (Piccolo & Dende)
- Combined Energy Waves
- Father-Son Galick Gun (Vegeta & Future Trunks)
- Final Kamehameha (Goku & Vegeta)
- Miracle of Universe 7 (Frieza & Goku)
- Galick Kamehameha (Vegeta & Goku)
Video Game Appearances
The Z Fighters are playable characters in all the fighting video games of the Dragon Ball franchise, including the Butōden series, the Supersonic Warriors series, Budokai series, Budokai Tenkaichi series, Raging Blast series, Dragon Ball Heroes and Xenoverse series.
Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Chiaotzu, and Vegeta are playable in the Gokuden series, with Future Trunks playable in Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen and Nail playable in Dragon Ball Z II: Gekishin Freeza and Dragon Ball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, and Future Trunks are playable in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans series. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Vegeta are also playable in Dragon Ball Z: Goku Gekitōden.
Goku, Gohan, Goten, Piccolo, Krillin, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Trunks, Gotenks, Vegito, as well as Android 18, Android 17, and Android 16 are playable in Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks and Mr. Satan are playable in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II, and Goku, Gohan, Goten, Vegeta, Trunks, Gotenks, Gogeta, Vegito, Videl, and Mr. Satan are playable in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury. Goku, Pan, Trunks, Uub, Vegeta, and Piccolo are playable characters in Dragon Ball GT: Transformation.
Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, and Vegeta are playable in Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, and Tien Shinhan are playable in Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans. Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan, Vegeta, Future Trunks, and Future Gohan are playable in Dragon Ball Z: Sagas.
Z Fighters appear during the Time Machine Quests in Dragon Ball Online. Goku appears in the pre-Dragon Ball quest, the Emperor Pilaf Saga, and the Piccolo Jr. Saga. Tien Shinhan, Krillin, Yamcha, Chiaotzu, and Chi-Chi appear in the Piccolo Jr. Saga, and Piccolo, Gohan, Yajirobe, and Vegeta appear in the Saiyan Saga.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, due to the actions of Towa, Mira, and Demon God Demigra, various enemies (from Raditz, Frieza, Cell, and Kid Buu) of the Z-Fighters where empowered by Dark Magic throughout history which makes them stronger and more dangerous than they were historically resulting in time distortions where the Z-Fighter's historic battles are altered or changed, usually with the Z-Fighters being over powered and/or killed by these powered up villains. Luckily in Age 850, Time Patrol Trunks summons the mysterious Future Warrior to aid the Z-Fighters as a member of the Time Patrol that work to protect history under guidance of Chronoa, the Supreme Kai of Time.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Kid Goku, Goten, Pan, and Kid Trunks join Tekka to form a team to participate in the Timespace Tournament within the Timespace Rift recruiting the incarnations of several members and allies of the Dragon Team such as Piccolo, Gohan/Great Saiyaman, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chaiotzu, Uub/Super Uub, Future Trunks, Good Buu, Arale Norimaki, Android 18, Videl/Great Saiyaman 2, Bulla, Supreme Kai Shin, Kibito Kai, Pikkon, and Nuova Shenron. The game also features several fused members such as Gotenks, Tiencha, Prillin, Gogeta, and Vegito. During the Timespace Tournament, Adult Goku and Vegeta have their own team with Namekian Lugo, Offworlder Parl, and Alien Camarbo, with Goku and Vegeta eventually fusing into Gogeta during their team's match with Tekka's Team. The game also introduces new fusions of Dragon Team members, allies, and even fusions with Dragon Team members/allies and their enemies such as EX Gogeta, EX Gohanks, EX Gotenks, EX Prilin, EX Yamhan, EX Trunks, Arale 18, Android 1617, Android 1718, Barlot, Bulpan, Cell 17, Chiaoldo, Chiaohan, Chiaoman, Coohan, Future Gohanks, Gomas, Gorillin, Gorus, Ginyuman, Great Jaco, Great Saiyaman 12, Great Satanman, Jacunks, Kallohan, Karoly, Kibeer Kai, Kibicollo Kai, Krigohan, Majin Satan, Nuova Goku, Pandel, Perfect 16, Picohan, Pinita, Tanks, Towale, Towane, Vegenks, Whirus, and Yamta.
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes, Z-Fighters that join the Time Patrol include Xeno Trunks, Xeno Goku, Xeno Vegeta, Xeno Gohan, Xeno Pan, and Xeno Goten. Additionally several fusions of Dragon Team members turned Time Patrollers are introduced such as Xeno Gohanks, Xeno Gogeta, Xeno Gotenks, Xeno Vegeks, and Xeno Vegito
In Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission, Beat refers to the game world incarnation of the team as the Z Warriors when Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, and Chiaotzu come to Beat and Note's aid against Vegeta after being late to the battle due to the Saiyans arriving early during the period when everyone was still training and Raditz got away from Goku and Piccolo all due to a game world anomaly created by "the menace".
In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, the Dragon Team are known as the Z Warriors in the English localization as Z Warriors is both the name of the Z Encyclopedia's subsection for Dragon Team members in the Characters section which features unlockable entries for the game's characters and is also used as the name for the Community Board that represents the Dragon Team (the board is represented by the "Z" logo). During the Intermission after the Frieza Saga, the Dragon Balls can be used to revive the deceased Raditz, Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, and Ginyu Force members to engage in various Sub Stories that allow them to unlock their corresponding Soul Emblems for the Community Boards. As per the Sub Stories narrative, the villains are revived in Age 763 when the Intermission takes place (as during Intermissions the Dragon Balls can recharge after 20 minutes of real-world time has passed due to in-game mechanics that come into play during Intermissions) with Piccolo being responsible for Raditz's resurrection while Gohan resurrects Nappa, Dodoria, Zarbon, and Ginyu Force in order to get them to act as training partners in addition to trying to convince them to reform. Raditz and Nappa agree to train with the Dragon Team but make it clear that they both plan to return to their evil ways should they one day surpass them. Dodoria agrees to change his ways out of fear after discovering Gohan's post Frieza Saga power level which breaks his restored Scouter is real and not the result of a malfunction as he initially believed. After Gohan defeats both his base and Monster Forms, he agrees to train Gohan though this is due to him believing he can mold the boy into a warrior capable of ruling the Universe failing to realize Gohan has no ambitions for galactic conquest though Gohan realize that he won't cause any trouble as he a least recognizes Gohan's strength and is at least willing to listen to him. Despite agreeing to train with the Dragon Team, it is implied all the villains do so in order to avoid being killed and would return to their evil ways if given the opportunity thus while not necessarily fully reformed they are at least willing to stay out of trouble as long as the Dragon Team maintain their superior strength. Additionally past acquaintances and of the Dragon Team such as Android 8, Suno, Launch, and Bora appear at different points.
- The Z Fighters are referred to as Earth's Special Forces in the Saban dub of Dragon Ball Z's first two seasons. This term was also occasionally used in both the Funimation dub and the Canadian/European Westwood dub.
- During the end credits of Resurrection ‘F’, the pop icon music group: Momoiro Clover Z's song, "Pledge of Z", refer to Goku and the others as - TEAM "Z".
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 122, "Mystery Revealed"
- ↑ Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!, 2008
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, 2009
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, 2005
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, 2008
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2010