According to Akira Toriyama, this movie takes place after the climax of the Tournament of Power. A portion of the movie will also serve as a flashback to events when Planet Vegeta was still existed and during the same time frame as Dragon Ball Minus: The Departure of the Fated Child.
The original series author Akira Toriyama once again provides the original concept, writing the script, and drawing character designs for the film. His involvement in this movie is more active than previous movies.
It was suggested to Akira Toriyama by his editor to have Broly appear in the movie due to his overwhelming popularity. After watching the previous Broly movies, Toriyama decided that Broly could be quite interesting if he rearranged some things about him.
Toriyama stated that, while keeping the popular aspects of the original version of Broly in mind, he updated him and added a new side to his character, believing that it would make him more fascinating. The story was also said to expand to a larger scale and become very dramatic.
On July 19, 2018, two trailers were released at the San Diego Comic Con for the film, one in Japanese and the other in English. New concept art was unveiled that revealed that Broly would use the Dashing Punch and attack Super Saiyan Vegeta in an arctic environment, as well as Broly attacking Frieza in a volcanic environment, Broly in his Rage Mode fighting Super Saiyan Blue in the middle of a thunderstorm, and several screencaps of Broly transforming into his Rage Mode and powering up against Goku in a volcanic environment, as well as Paragus looking panicked.
|Character Name||Voice Actor (Japanese)||Voice Actor (English)|
|Goku||Masako Nozawa||Sean Schemmel|
|Vegeta||Ryo Horikawa||Christopher Sabat|
|Broly||Bin Shimada||Vic Mignogna|
|Piccolo||Toshio Furukawa||Christopher Sabat|
|Goten||Masako Nozawa||Kara Edwards|
|Trunks||Takeshi Kusao||Alexis Tipton|
|Bulma||Aya Hisakawa||Monica Rial|
|Whis||Masakazu Morita||Ian Sinclair|
|Beerus||Koichi Yamadera||Jason Douglas|
|Frieza||Ryusei Nakao||Chris Ayres|
|Paragus||Katsuhisa Hōki||Dameon Clarke|
|Shenron||Ryūzaburō Ōtomo||Christopher Sabat|
|Bardock||Masako Nozawa||Sonny Strait|
|King Vegeta||TBA||Christopher Sabat|
|King Cold||Ryūzaburō Ōtomo||Jason Douglas|
- This is the first Dragon Ball movie since Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan that has no major involvement of Tadayoshi Yamamuro as the animation director, storyboard, and character designer.
- Most of the staff are returning from One Piece Film Z.
- As of the last episode of the Universe Survival Saga, it and the movie share the same tagline which is "Saiyans have no limits".
- This will be the first Dragon Ball movie to fall under the lineup of Dragon Ball Super, as Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection ‘F’ and Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods were marketed under the Dragon Ball Z lineup prior to the announcement of Dragon Ball Super.
- ↑ Funimation Is Bringing Dragon Ball Super: Broly to North American Theaters in 2019. IGN (Jul 12, 2018).
- ↑ 'Dragon Ball Super: Broly' Reveals Runtime. comicbook (October 3, 2018).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Dragon Ball 2018 movie. kanzenshuu (December 16, 2017).
- ↑ Herms' translation on Toriyama's comment about the movie and the future of the Dragon Ball Super series.. Twitter (March 12, 2018).
- ↑ "Dragon Ball Super" Anime Film Dated with "One Piece Film Z" Director at the Helm. crunchyroll (March 12, 2018).
- ↑ Toriyama's comment on Broly. twimg (Jul 9, 2018).
- ↑ Toriyama's continuing comment on Broly. twimg (July 9, 2018).
- ↑ Chris Ayres confirming his role as Frieza. Twitter (July 19, 2018).