The Dragon Ball: Bouken Special (ドラゴンボール 冒険SPECIAL Doragon Bōru Bōken Supesharu, lit. "Dragon Ball: Adventure Special") is a one-shot magazine about Dragon Ball. It was released on November 18, 1987, with a special December Shonen Jump issue.
Dragon Ball: Bouken Special is essentially the earliest guidebook devoted to the Dragon Ball series, and the only Dragon Ball anime-related special magazine. It was released the day the episode "Yamcha's Big Break" aired on TV, and covers the beginning of Dragon Ball up to the Dragon Ball manga's 146th chapter, midway through the King Piccolo Saga.
The Bouken Special is the source for much of the extra character background information later incorporated into Daizenshuu 7. The book covers a wide range of subjects; such as Dragon Ball secrets, special background info on the characters, the manga-creating process in general, and even Akira Toriyama's love life.
It notably contains reprints of Akira Toriyama's Dragon Boy and The Adventures of Tongpoo, two one-shots which were used as prototypes for Dragon Ball. It also features games, a look at Oolong and Puar's school days, and Q&A with Akira Toriyama.
- Bulma is depicted wearing various outfits suggested by other Dragon Ball characters.
- Kid Goku's suggestion is the Turtle School Uniform.
- Yamcha's suggestion is a Wedding Dress.
- Puar's suggestion is a school uniform.
- Bad Launch's suggestion is combat attire.
- Dr. Brief's suggestion is a robotic battle suit.
- Turtle's suggestion is a Turtle Shell.
- Master Roshi's suggestion is a lingerie style Bunny costume along with her wearing Panties on her head.