"We Tuffles tried to help the Saiyans. And all they gave us in return was death and destruction. I will never forgive Saiyans for what they did to us, even if God does."
Dr. Lychee (Dr.ライチー Dr. Raichī) is one of the main antagonists of the OVA Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. He first appeared in the video game Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku.
Dr. Lychee is an elderly man with long white hair, similar to Dr. Gero's and a abundant beard. Before dying in front of his Hatchiyack creation, Dr. Lychee wore a simple brown outfit with a pair of gloves and boots.
After his exile on the Dark Planet, now a Ghost Warrior, Dr. Lychee completely changes his appearance. His skin turns bluish and he wears a white armor of large green shirts. His face is also different, now he has a red eye, while the other is white, and the attributes of his hair turn dark gray.
Dr. Lychee is a brilliant scientist, exhibiting a high intellect and analytic state of mind. He harbors a deep hatred against the Saiyans for wiping out the Tuffle race and is dedicated to his plan on wiping out the remaining Saiyans. Dr. Lychee is steadfast to his grudge, stating he will never forgive the Saiyans, even if God does. He spends his last amounts cursing the Saiyans before he is crushed to death by Vegeta.
In the Tuffles' prime, Dr. Lychee was the greatest scientist of their civilization. In Age 730, the Saiyans eventually massacred the entire Tuffle race and conquered the planet, renaming it Planet Vegeta in honor of their king. Lychee makes a desperate attempt to escape with his most esteemed invention, Hatchiyack, but he is kicked towards his supercomputer and killed as his capsule prepares for liftoff. The capsule finds refuge on the Dark Planet, a planet at the end of the universe. There, the supercomputer Hatchiyack continues incubating until it conceives the Ghost Warriors; among them is Ghost Lychee (ゴースト・ライチー Gōsuto Raichī), whose only wish is to eradicate the last remaining Saiyans.
Dragon Ball Z
Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
Main article: Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
The scientist releases Destron Gas on Earth, which disturbs the Dragon Team concentration in using ki attacks. They defeat the monsters that guard the Destron generators, then Ghost Warriors of past villains appear to attack. This is all part of his plan to lure Goku, Gohan, Future Trunks and Vegeta (the last remaining Saiyans) to the Dark Planet. Once on there, they battle Dr. Lychee, whose only defense is a barrier. Once the barrier is shattered, Vegeta blasts Dr. Lychee with a Final Flash attack. After the ghostly Tuffle rematerializes and tries to form a shield once again, Vegeta executes him again, shattering the barrier along with him. When a small fragment of Lychee falls to the ground and screams with all his hatred of the Saiyans, Vegeta crushes what remained of him under his foot. Lychee's hatred is then absorbed by Hatchiyack and his ghost overshadows the machine, bringing it to its final form. In Raging Blast 2 remake, once Hatchiyack is destroyed, Ghost Lychee appears and gives off one last cry before vanishing.
Ghost Lychee calls himself the ultimate Ghost Warrior created by Hatchiyack, though it is unknown what it means in terms of fighting ability. He uses his energy shield is able to hold up against the combined efforts of Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Future Trunks, and Piccolo for a short while until it eventually gives way to their power. Lychee is then easily dispatched by Vegeta's Final Flash.
- Video games
In the video games, Ghost Lychee is the second to last enemy fought by the Z Fighters, and as such is the most powerful enemy in the game aside from Hatchiyack. During their battle, Lychee is able to hold his own against the combined might of all of the Z Fighters, and also possess numerous offensive techniques, including abilities copied from the Ghost Warriors and also his own Eraser Shock technique.
Techniques and Special Abilities
- Levitation – The ability to fly with the use of ki.
- Energy Wave – Used in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Continuous Energy Wave – Used in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Frieza Cutter – A technique originally used by Frieza. Lychee uses it in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Kill Driver – A technique originally used by Turles. Lychee uses it in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Big Smasher – A technique originally used by Lord Slug. Lychee uses it in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Eraser Shock – Lychee's ultimate technique in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Dark Spirits – Lychee's signature technique. It is a powerful green energy barrier. Named in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Exploding Wave – Used in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Telekinesis – Used in the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game.
- Physical Attack Immunity – In the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans video game, Ghost Lychee is immune to physical attacks.
- Aura of Enmity (憎しみのオーラ) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss in the Dr. Wheelo Saga that reduces the enemy team's Power Level by 50% during Round 1.
- Clear Mind (頭脳めいせき) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes that increases the enemy team's Charge Impact speed each time his team wins the Power Level Battle Phase.
- Defense Orders (防御指示) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss in the Hatchiyack Saga that lets Lychee connect to an ally with a Link Line while a supporter, increasing their Damage Reduction by 30%.
- Destron Gas Device (デストロンガス装置) – An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes that stops the enemy team from using Super Attacks. The effect is ended if his team takes over 2000 damage, or if the enemy team has the Destron Gas Antidote ability.
- Ghost Warrior (ゴースト戦士) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss in the Hatchiyack Saga that heals his team by 70% of the damage inflicted by the first attack that hits Lychee.
- Iron Obsession (すさまじい執念) – An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes in the Universe Survival Saga that doubles his Power Level and completely restores his Stamina at the start of each round that his team has less than 30% HP.
- Iron Will (鉄の意志) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss that permanently protects him from Stamina damage.
- Iron Will (Team) (鉄の意志（チーム）) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss that permanently protects his team from Stamina damage.
- Perfect Chance (絶好の好機) – An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss in the Baby Hatchiyack Saga that activates during a round where at least one ally has consistently under 100 Guard, increasing their Power and Guard by 5000 and decreasing their Charge Impact speed for that round.
- Rejuvenation (Team) (ハイテンション（チーム）) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss that fully restores the Stamina of his team at the start of each round.
- Solid Battle Plan (万全の対策) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes as a boss in the Baby Hatchiyack Saga that decreases the Charge Impact speed of all attackers on his team while a supporter.
- Super Revenger Cannon S (超リベンジャーカノンＳ) – An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes that summons Giant Hatchiyack from subspace to use the Super Revenger Cannon.
- Surprise Maneuver (奇襲の一手) - An ability used by Lychee in Dragon Ball Heroes that steals 1 Hero Energy per enemy supporter from the enemy team at the end of each round.
Forms and Transformations
Main article: Ghost Warrior Ghost Lychee (ゴースト・ライチー Gōsuto Raichī) is a phantom of the late Dr. Lychee, conceived as a Ghost Warrior by the super computer Hatchiyack, whose only wish is to eradicate the last remaining Saiyans.
Main articles: Manipulation Sorcery and Ghost Warrior Majin Ghost Lychee appears in Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced in the fifth mission of the Jaaku Mission series (JM5). So far, he is not a playable character.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Shin Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Chikyū-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Shin Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Uchū-Hen
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission
- Dr. Lychee's Japanese name is derived off of the
- He shares this trait with Cheelai who's name is derived from Raichi ("Lychee").
- In the remake of Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans featured in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, Dr. Lychee has a more bluish tone and a beard instead of a long mustache.
- The concept of, and even some aspects of Dr. Lychee's appearance were recycled into the Machine Mutant that is Dr. Myuu in Dragon Ball GT.