Dr. Gero (ドクター・ゲロ Dokutā Gero, lit. "Doctor Gero"), also known as Android 20 (人造人間２０号 Jinzōningen Niju-Gō, lit. "Artificial Human No. 20"), is a supporting antagonist in the Dragon Ball franchise, appearing in the Dragon Ball manga and the animes Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT. He is a genius scientist who is the mastermind behind the Red Ribbon Androids, chief amongst them the bio-organic Cell.
Dr. Gero is the main antagonist of the Androids Saga.
Dr. Gero's appearance consists of slightly tanned skin, blue eyes, a large bushy white mustache, and long hair. He also has a Red Ribbon Army logo located on the hat that hides his visible brain after he turns himself into an android. Dr. Gero's mechanical body also lacks the eyebrows he had in his old, organic form, instead having a pronounced brow. His clothing is black, with orange sections at the upper arms, and light yellow sleeves at the lower arms. His pants are dark brown, and his shoes are black and white.
Dr. Gero is very cold-hearted, willing to stop at nothing to achieve his goals, he doesn't let people get in his way and even kidnaps other people to use in his experiments. He also holds a strong hatred for Goku due to Goku defeating the entire Red Ribbon Army. He has the utmost confidence in his technological skills and intellect, as he believes, even when the odds are against him, that he, or his creations, will succeed somehow. Gero also trusts his creations with his life, believing now that he has "improved" them, they will respect him as their master. Despite this, however, he states "it seems I have no other choice" immediately before releasing Android 17 and 18, implying he was aware of the severe risks to himself of activating them due to their hatred of him. Despite his cold heart, however, he was capable of affection, as he modeled Android 16 after his deceased son and deliberately made #16 gentle in order to avoid the risk of him being destroyed in battle due to him not being able to bear the thought of that happening. Presumably this was also why Dr. Gero chose not to activate him and why he did not discard him as he had with the Android models that had proceeded 16 (with the exception of Android 8).
Dr. Gero is the head scientist of the Red Ribbon Army; he was a founding member of the Red Ribbon Army to begin with and was also effectively in control. He designed the Red Ribbon's weaponry and created the first androids in the service of the Red Ribbon Army. He built Androids because mechs can be captured and used by the enemy while Androids can think for themselves. Another scientist, Dr. Flappe is named as Android 8's creator. Daizenshuu 7 addresses this inconsistency by stating that Dr. Flappe and Dr. Gero were colleagues in charge of the Red Ribbon Army's Android Development Program. The Red Ribbon Army is not the primary reason for Dr. Gero's desire to create androids and cyborgs, as he reveals in GT that he always dreamed of replacing the entire human race with artificial beings even before Goku defeated the Red Ribbon Army.
Dr. Gero's son was a high-ranking Red Ribbon soldier, but he died when he was hit by an enemy bullet; Gero later modeled the powerful Android 16 after his dead son. At one point, Dr. Gero brought home a doll decorating the command center of an enemy base as a trophy, which he later used as a model to design Android 19. He fathered this child with the human who was Android 21's base.
After the Red Ribbon Army is defeated by Goku, Dr. Gero goes into hiding in his laboratory located in a mountain area north of North City. In this lab, he strives to create the ultimate fighting machine. Using an extremely intelligent tracking device disguised as a ladybug, he studies Goku and the Z Fighters for years, observing the fights Goku has with Tien Shinhan, King Piccolo, Piccolo, and the Saiyans Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta.
Dr. Gero ceases the study of Goku's power when the Saiyan leaves for Namek, believing he had already compiled enough information; so he simply adjusts the androids' power levels to accommodate for Goku's expected power increase, not accounting for the power level of Goku's Super Saiyan form. Believing he had created the ultimate fighting machines, he finalizes his plans and constructed a series of Androids. Android 16 was modeled on Gero's dead son, a high-ranking Red Ribbon soldier long ago felled by an enemy bullet. In his affection, Gero made him powerful but did not want him to be destroyed in battle, so he made him gentle. While looking for fresh material for his experiments, Dr. Gero meets two notorious delinquents by chance, two siblings, a boy, and a girl. He then kidnaps them and restructures them into Android 17 and Android 18. However, the two became rebellious as they retain their human free will, so he deactivated them. According to Android 18, Dr. Gero destroyed all the other androids up to Android 15. 1-7 and 9-12 were completely artificial, but Gero could not control their personalities: too dark, too stupid, too nice, etc.
Android 19 was modeled after a doll decorating the command center of an enemy base, which Gero brought home as a trophy. To become immortal, Dr. Gero has Android 19 to turn him into an android, Android 20. The only human part of him as an android is his brain, which was transplanted into his android body by Android 19. Dr. Gero has his brain transferred into an energy-absorbing model Android rather than an infinite-powered model, which would have allowed him far greater power reserves. Android 18 hints that it may have been because he thinks that an energy-absorbing model android is easier to use as a host. Gero would later disguise his true identity by claiming that he is merely Android 20 and that Gero had died long ago.
While constructing the Androids, Dr. Gero discovers a way to fuse together the cells from the strongest warriors to walk the Earth (Goku, Piccolo, Vegeta, Frieza, and King Cold), and tries to create a supreme fighting entity. After realizing that his project would take too long to complete, he decides to turn attention to other matters and leave his supercomputer from his lab to complete the ultimate being, who he names Cell. Cell later speculated that Dr. Gero created him to defeat the Earth and later to destroy the entire universe.
Dragon Ball Z
Main article: Androids Saga
"I'm surprised you knew we were androids."
Two years after Namek's destruction, after easily slaughtering Frieza, his soldiers and his father, Future Trunks informs the Z Fighters that two extremely powerful Androids created by Gero will appear in three years. Three years later, on May 12 of Age 767, at 10:00 am, two Androids appear on an island nine miles south-west of South City: Android 19 and Android 20. They attack Yajirobe in his hovercar, shortly after the latter gives the Z Fighters a sack of Senzu Beans, and descend into the city. Together, they start a killing spree and do not show any mercy or regret; during one point, #20 grabs a man from his car and crushes his skull like a grape, never changing his stoic expression. The Z Fighters struggle to find them, due to the androids having no ki, but Yamcha is the first to find them, attracted to the scene by the scream of a woman. They then ambush him, with Yamcha initially believing them to be two civilians and trying to tell them to evacuate until he noticed the Red Ribbon logo on Android 20's logo, with Android 20 smugly confirming that they are the androids he's referring to.
Before Yamcha can act, Android 20 demonstrates a deadly power: Dr. Gero's latest design for Androids, an energy absorbing function. Using a small red jewel embedded in his hand, he grabs Yamcha by the jaw, punches a hole through his chest, and saps his life-force. Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, and Tien Shinhan detect Yamcha's fast dropping energy and find him fatally injured by Android 20. Krillin takes the dying Yamcha back to Bulma for a Senzu Bean. Android 20 is surprised that the Z Fighters knew that he and 19 were androids even though they gave no indication. He also says that the Z Fighters also seemed to know where he and Android 19 would be and gathered in anticipation. #20 asks how this is possible, but Piccolo refuses, saying that they will have to obtain the information by force. Android 20 says that they will do just that. However, Goku suggests that they move to another location since there are too many innocent people around. Android 20 takes it as meaning that he doesn't want anyone to get in the way and single-handedly destroys half the city and its populace with his Bionic Punisher technique. An enraged Goku tells the android to stop and charges in, hitting Android 20 in the head with a punch and knocking off his hat in the process, revealing a seemingly organic brain is revealed underneath. Android 20 detects that Goku is unsatisfied with his solution to finding an uninhabited place. Android 19 says the Z Fighters will be unable to defeat them no matter where they fight, but Android 20 tells Goku to choose his place of death, calling him by name. Piccolo wonders how Android 20 knows Goku's name, and Android 20 says that he knows them all, naming Piccolo and Tien as well. Police sirens are heard approaching, and Goku says that they can ask questions later, then takes off. The androids, Piccolo, and Tien follow him.
As the group with the androids flies over a deserted plain, Android 20 says they will fight there because it is adequate for that purpose. Goku does not object and the group lands. Piccolo realizes that the plain is surrounded by rocky mountains, and that the androids are planning on hiding among these if necessary. Android 20 begins to explain to Goku that they have been watching his battles with miniature surveillance drones ever since he defeated the Red Ribbon Army, looking for a weakness. 20 says that only the humiliated Dr. Gero remained after the Army's defeat, and Piccolo says that 20 is talking as if he was Gero himself. 20 lies, saying that he is the creation of Dr. Gero and that the doctor himself is no longer alive. Goku then asks if they observed his battles on Planet Namek, and Android 20 responds that they had sufficient data by that time, thus it was unnecessary, as the androids' power levels were adjusted to accommodate for Goku's expected power increase. Goku tells Android 20 that he has missed something. Android 20 and Android 19 are surprised to hear this, and Piccolo says that it is a fatal mistake not to know about the Super Saiyan. Goku then powers up and transforms, and the burst of ki alerts Gohan, Krillin, and Yamcha to the location of the battle. 20 admits that Goku has far exceeded his calculated limits, however, he says that 19 can still handle Goku. Goku says that he will find that out for himself, and charges in to do battle.
Goku, at the start, does well in the fight, completely overwhelming 19. Android 20 is concerned that Android 19 will run out of energy before he can absorb any of Goku's power. However, the Saiyan's Heart Virus manifests at that exact moment and hinders his performance. Goku, visibly exhausted, decides to try to finish 19 with a Kamehameha. Upon seeing the blast, 19 and 20 are overjoyed, and 19 simply absorbs the blast with his right hand. 20 notes that 19's power has increased while Goku's has dramatically decreased. Krillin gives Goku a Senzu Bean, hoping it will help him. Android 20 realizes that the bean is indeed the legendary Senzu, and Yamcha is now again optimistic about Goku's chances. However, the Senzu could not cure Goku's illness and the Saiyan can no longer maintain his Super Sayan form. 19 jumps, landing on Goku's chest and grabbing him by the neck to absorb his energy. The rest of the Z Fighters fly forward to help Goku, however, they are intercepted by Android 20, who tells them that they will not intervene in the battle and warns them to try at their own peril. Piccolo says that he will and kicks at 20, but 20 dodges and hits Piccolo with Eye Lasers. Piccolo falls to the ground, and 20 says that his actions were bold, but stupid. Before Goku can be killed, Vegeta saves him by kicking 19 in face, declaring he will be the only one to kill Goku.
The Z Fighters and the androids are both stunned by the sudden appearance of Vegeta. Piccolo, lying on the ground, suddenly gets up. He reveals that he was simply faking defeat in order for the android to let his guard down, telling Gohan that it would take more than one blast to beat him. Vegeta says that he saw everything, and tells Goku that he is a fool for turning Super Saiyan even though he noticed the anomaly in his body and kicks him forward into the air. Piccolo grabs him, and Vegeta says that someone should drag Goku home and give him the Heart Medicine. Yamcha says that he will, as he seems to be the least useful one there. Piccolo tells Yamcha to take some of the medicine as well, as the virus could be contagious. As Yamcha flies off with Goku, Android 19 watches and prepares to give chase, but Android 20 tells him not to, as it could be fun to save the best (Goku) for last. 20 says that they can take care of the rest of the Z Fighters now, and that things will be more interesting since Vegeta has joined them. 19 asks if he can kill Vegeta, and 20 agrees after calling him greedy and saying that in exchange he will take the other four. Vegeta tells 19 that from his observations, the androids are not as strong as they were said to be. He tells 19 that he knows about their energy absorption through the palms, but 19 replies that he already knows Vegeta's abilities. Vegeta says that Saiyans cannot be reduced to numbers and wonders if androids can feel fear, then transforms into a Super Saiyan. The Z Fighters and androids are both surprised at this development, and Krillin says that he thought a Super Saiyan had to have a pure heart. Vegeta says that his heart is pure, but pure evil. He tells how he endured a brutal training regimen before reaching his own limits, and became a Super Saiyan due to his rage against himself. Android 20 tells Vegeta that he is still no match for them, and 19 charges towards Vegeta.
Android 20 can only watch in horror as Vegeta aggressively beats 19 around. Android 19 attacks Vegeta with a Bionic Punisher, but Vegeta dodges and slams the android to the ground. The Z Fighters dodge Android 19's falling body, which makes a sizable crater as it hits the ground. With Android 19 lying motionless in the crater, Vegeta lands near him. Just then Android 19 opens his eyes and leaps up, grabbing Vegeta's wrists with his hands. He tells Vegeta that he will drain all his power, and that he will never let go. Vegeta decides to test this by putting his feet against Android 19's face and stretching his body. Vegeta then fully extends his body, and 19's hands are severed at the wrists, still clinging to Vegeta. Having been sent falling backwards, Android 19 is shocked, as is Android 20. Vegeta removes Android 19's hands from his wrists and examines them, noticing the energy absorption node on the palms. He tosses Android 19's hands to the ground and asks if he can feel fear. Terrified, Android 19 scrambles out of the crater and begins to run away. Vegeta rises into the air and prepares to destroy Android 19 when Android 20 verbally intercedes, demanding he stop. Vegeta tells him that he will deal with him after. After powering up sufficiently, Vegeta unleashes a Big Bang Attack on the fleeing android, which creates a massive explosion, stunning the onlookers. When the smoke clears, only Android 19's head remains. Vegeta lands near Android 20 and powers down to his base form, and tells Android 20 that he has lost a lot of energy and that this is his chance to defeat him. Android 20 wonders what sort of trick Vegeta is trying to pull. Vegeta asks why Android 20 said he had no hope, and Android 20 tells Vegeta that even though he has exceeded their calculations, he is more powerful. Vegeta asks 20 to show him. Intimidated, Android 20 then runs away, heading for the nearby rocks as Piccolo had feared earlier.
Android 20 quickly hides from a rejuvenated Super Saiyan Vegeta and watches him from a distance. Impatient and tired of searching, Vegeta decides to flush 20 out by destroying some of the area, so he flies into the air and throws a Photon Bomber towards the ground. Krillin yells for him to stop, as rest the team could get caught in the blast. Seeing his chance, Android 20 steps in front of the blast and absorbs it through his palms. Seeing this, Vegeta immediately flies towards 20, who quickly disappears. Vegeta chases after him, but is upset to discover that 20 is quicker and managed to leave his sight. Android 20, watching Vegeta from above, says that he has become too dependent on tracking ki and has lost his eye for movement, however, he admits that he did not count on so much power from Vegeta. Although he believes the most logical option is to return to his lab, he wants to avoid that if at all possible. He then spots Gohan, Tien, Piccolo, and Krillin searching for him and decides to steal their energy in order to become powerful enough defeat Vegeta.
Android 20 decides to attack Piccolo first, as he is the strongest after Vegeta. He ambushes Piccolo from behind to absorb his energy and covers his mouth so that he cannot call for help. 20 tells Piccolo that the others cannot see them, as he knows where they all are. However, Piccolo telepathically calls out to Gohan, who detects the constant decrease in his ki and flies over to help. As Android 20 tells Piccolo that he is almost out of energy, Gohan arrives and hits Android 20 from behind, knocking him off of Piccolo (this also knocks off the android's hat). Krillin, Tien Shinhan, and Vegeta sense Gohan's ki, and surround Android 20 upon reaching the area. Android 20 is surprised at the arrival of the other Z Fighters, but decides to stall for time and absorb more energy from the others before fighting Vegeta. Gohan tells Krillin to give Piccolo a Senzu Bean, which he does. Piccolo then descends down to face Android 20, removing his weighted clothing. He tells Vegeta not to interfere because he wants to face Android 20 personally. Vegeta responds that he does not care if Piccolo gets killed, but says that he will only be giving Android 20 more energy. Android 20 thinks to himself that this is another chance to absorb more of Piccolo's energy, but Piccolo quickly disappears from his sight and knees him in the face. He tries to fight Piccolo head-on, but Piccolo is superior by far as a result of the three years of intense training with Goku (and also the fusion with Nail). Piccolo mercilessly severs the android's right arm and prepares to destroy him, but is distracted by the arrival of Future Trunks. Believing he has miscalculated too much, Android 20 decides to retreat into his lab, in order to activate Android 17 and Android 18, although he laments that he cannot fly away without being spotted and decides to run away on foot. Suddenly, Bulma arrives by airplane with Yajirobe and the present, infant version of Trunks in tow. Seeing an opportunity to escape, 20 declares that 17 and 18 will come and avenge his defeat, before firing a large Photon Wave at Bulma's plane. With a cloud of smoke and dust covering his tracks, Android 20 runs away into the rocky mountains. Having recognized him as Dr. Gero, Bulma notifies the Z Warriors about the approximate area of his laboratory and they depart for the mountains near North City. Vegeta, more overconfident than usual thanks to his new Super Saiyan power, goes off on his own to challenge the androids, so the rest of the group becomes determined to find Gero or his lab before Vegeta does.
Meanwhile, as he hides among the rocks, Dr. Gero sees Vegeta and then Future Trunks fly overhead in the direction of his lab. He initially thinks that it must be a coincidence, and that they cannot know its location because only a handful of scientists know of its existence. Thinking back, he recognizes Goku's close friend, Bulma as the heir to Capsule Corporation and thinks that she may have learned about him through her father. Suddenly, he sees Piccolo, Krillin, and Tien Shinhan flying in the same direction and realizes that they are indeed heading for his lab to destroy 17 and 18 before he can activate them. He heads off after them, thinking that their need to find its precise location will give him enough time. In the anime, as he approaches his lab, Gero senses Krillin nearby and ambushes him. Before he can kill Krillin, Gero senses Piccolo nearby and decides to spare him in his hurry to activate his Androids. Dr. Gero quickly reaches his lab, and leaps up into the cave which houses it. As he is about to enter, however, his sensors detect something, and he turns around to see Krillin looking at him. Gero thinks that Krillin will not be able to do anything, and opens the door to his lab. He then tells Krillin that even if he calls the others, they will be too late now. Krillin then raises his ki, and Piccolo, Tien, Vegeta, and Trunks all sense it.
Gero, inside his lab, says that he would have preferred not to activate 17 and 18, but that he has no choice now, and hopes that he has made them obedient. He then activates Android 17, while holding his Shut Down Remote. After awakening, Android 17 says good morning to Dr. Gero. When Gero comments on his politeness, Android 17 says that Gero is his creator, though he eyes the remote. Relieved that Android 17 appears to be operating properly, (in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Gero believes he successfully reprogrammed 17's personality), Gero then activates Android 18. Android 18 is polite to Gero as well, though she also eyes the remote. She comments on the fact that Gero has made himself into a android, and Gero says that he wanted eternal life. He also says that he previously devoted too much time to their infinite energy reactor, (in Dragon Ball Z Kai, Dr. Gero explains that in order for their infinite energy reactors to function, he had to disable the behavioral limiters wired into their firmware), and that they would not obey him. He then relates the news that the Z Fighters are en route, and tells the twin androids to kill them all, which they agree to do. The Z Fighters soon arrive and begin attempting to break in. This momentarily distracts Gero, and 17 steals the remote from him. Much to Gero's horror, he then crushes the remote and tells Gero that he will not put them to sleep again. Suddenly, Vegeta blasts the door down and the androids are surrounded by the Z Fighters. Dr. Gero tells Android 18 and Android 17 to kill the Z Fighters, mentioning that they destroyed Android 19 and almost killed him. Android 17 asks if 19 was an energy absorption model and the one who converted him into android, and Gero replies that he was. Android 18 asks if Gero went back to the old energy absorption model on a more recent android because infinite energy models like she and Android 17 were too powerful to control. Dr. Gero tells them that it does not matter now, and orders the pair to kill the Z Fighters, but 17 says that they will fight when they want. Gero is even more upset when Android 18 begins inspecting a chamber labeled "16". Android 18 notices that 16 is also an infinite energy model and asks how the android inside is different from them, but Gero tells her to get away from 16's chamber. Android 17 tells Android 18 to activate Android 16, but Gero tells them not to, as 16 was a failure and would put the entire world at risk. Android 18 questions why he kept 16 around, and Gero says he was planning on fixing him later. Android 17 says that he has a much higher power rating than Android 16, and tells Android 18 to activate him. Gero calls the pair failures, and says he will deactivate them all for good. Android 17 reminds him that the remote is destroyed, but Gero says he can build another. Once more, he yells at Android 18 not to activate Android 16, but suddenly Android 17 brutally murders Gero by impaling him from behind with his arm, decapitating him with a swift kick, and then stepping on Gero's still-living head. His remains are later destroyed along with what seems to be the rest of his laboratory at the hands of Future Trunks when he fires the Buster Cannon with the intention of destroying Android 17 and Android 18.
Majin Buu Saga
Main article: Kid Buu Saga In filler, Dr. Gero is permitted by King Yemma to keep his android body while entering Hell but the reason is unknown. Along with Cell, Frieza, King Cold, and the Ginyu Force, Dr. Gero watches the final battle between Goku and Kid Buu, being one of the very few people cheering for Kid Buu.
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
Dr. Gero is first seen in Dragon Ball GT in Hell, greeting Dr. Myuu after Myuu is destroyed by Baby. There, the two scientists work on a plan to create the ultimate android which could destroy Goku. They came up with a plan to combine both of their technologies and achieve the perfect Android by fusing Hell Fighter 17 and Android 17 to create Super 17. Then, they created a dimensional hole to get both androids in the same place, Earth. On Earth, while Super 17 is engaged in combat with Vegeta, Gohan, Trunks, Goten, and Majuub, Pan sneakily grabs Dr. Gero from behind to make Super 17 stop attacking Vegeta. The doctor does, but the terrifying creation turns to him. It turned out that Dr. Myuu reprogrammed Super 17 to only obey him. In an ironic twist of fate, Dr. Gero meets his end at the hands of 17 again.
Super Android 13!
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Super Android 13!
In addition, he was also given several mentions in the film itself, mostly in relation to Androids 13, 14, and 15 and their vendetta against Goku. In the Funimation dub, Dr. Gero's Supercomputer also proceeds to speak with Dr. Gero's voice whereas the Japanese version merely implies that the supercomputer was acting in Gero's name.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Dragon Ball SD
Main article: Dragon Ball SD
Dr. Gero appears briefly during the battle of Muscle Tower, though he is not present at the tower, he watches Android 8 betray the Red Ribbon Army and starts planning Android 17 and Android 18. Ironically, Gero in this particular SD comic resembles the Parsley City Old Man.
Dr. Gero appears in the second bonus chapter for Dragon Ball SD: after defeating Future Cell, Future Trunks travels even farther back in time in order to stop Gero from making the Androids in the first place. As Future Trunks arrives, Gero is attempting to lure the girl who would eventually become Android 18 to him with a lollipop. Future Trunks attacks but, at that moment, Kid Goku and Krillin arrive. Gero sends out Android 9 to fight them, but Goku defeats him with a single kick. Dr. Gero promises never to cause trouble again but later goes back on his word by swearing revenge on Goku once again, causing Future Trunks' trip to be for nothing, as the future carries on as it would anyway.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors It is shown in Cell's scenario that Gero manages to survive the encounter in his laboratory due to a backup plan. On the day of the announcement of the Cell Games, Gero is amazed that Cell has come from the future and went to gain his support in realizing the dream of the Red Ribbon Army, only for Cell to reveal that he did not care for Gero's plans. Angry at his rebellion, Gero fights against Cell and is defeated. Gero then says that he is surprised at how strong Cell has become before he is destroyed once more.
Main article: Dragon Ball Fusions Android 20 is among the many Red Ribbon Androids who finds himself in the Timespace Rift created by Tekka and Pinich's wish to Shenron to create a tournament to determine the strongest in time and space. Additionally, it is revealed that several other Androids where created in other timelines by Dr. Gero's villain database which includes Android 33, Android 44, Android 55, and Namekian Android 76. During Sub-Event: "Justice's Little Ally", Android 20 leads 19, 18, and 17 in an attack on Satan City though they are driven off by Uub causing the Androids to split up into pairs. 20 teams up with 19. Uub asks Tekka's Team to help him track down one of the pairs. If they decide to go after the Old Man and the Fatty, they will be forced to take down 19 and 20. 20 is shocked by the power of Tekka, Kid Goku, Kid Trunks, Goten, and Pan causing him to wonder if his detection system is malfunctioning only for 19 to point out that it is not as he is picking up the same readings. Dr. Gero decides to fight Tekka's team to absorb their energy but is defeated much to his disbelief. If they go after 17 & 18 instead 19 and 20 are defeated by Uub.
Android 20/Dr. Gero can be recruited by KOing him with a Zenkai Attack. He appears as the leader of a Strong Enemy team composed of himself, 19, 33, 44, and 76 which appears on top of a cliff overlooking the Future Capsule Corporation in Area 3F.
Main article: Dragon Ball FighterZ Dr. Gero is revealed to have other secret labs, one of which contained another supercomputer he had apparently programmed to convert the human mother of his deceased son into Android 21 at some point before his death. Additionally, it is revealed he created a system capable of linking human or artificial souls to another person allowing them to control that person's body. He also developed a machine capable of generating waves capable of suppressing the power of powerful fighters even God-like Saiyans unless soul linked or the person was too weak to be affected. However, proper deities are unaffected and can sense linked souls. Additionally, his labs could be used to create mindless clones as a makeshift army. Though his exact reasons for commissioning her conversion into an Android are unconfirmed, various characters conclude his intentions were to have her lead a resurgent Red Ribbon Army to conquer Earth and presumably the universe using his labs and inventions which is why the cells of scientists were included to give her intelligence rivaling Dr. Gero's. The exact nature of his relationship with 21's human self beyond her being the mother of his son is never elaborated on as Dr. Gero being her son's father is never actually mentioned in FighterZ as that information comes from other official sources outside the game.
- Manga and Anime
Android 20 easily impales Yamcha in his abdomen with his hand while absorbing his energy. He can withstand a hit from base Goku and remain mostly unfazed by it, however, it did manage to move him back somewhat and stop him from continuing his eye laser barrage. It is implied that Gero in his Android 20 form is more powerful than Android 19. Piccolo stated that he was too much for the likes of Gohan, Tien or Krillin to handle. This is true, as he easily defeated Krillin in the anime, despite being damaged by Piccolo.
Android 20 is weaker than Super Saiyan Vegeta and preferred to run away rather than face him directly, but he believed if he could absorb energy from Gohan, Tien, Piccolo, and Krillin, then he would become powerful enough to defeat Vegeta. When Piccolo removed his weighted clothing to use his full power, Android 20 is completely outmatched by the Namekian, with Piccolo's power having increased since the Frieza Saga after the massive amounts of training that took place in preparation for the Androids.
In large part because of his cybernetic body, Android 20 was also capable of surviving a bullet shot from a rifle, as evidenced by his shrugging off his being accidentally hit by a hunter while headed back to his laboratory. However, as an energy absorption model android, his strength depends on how much energy he absorbs, and this model is inferior to the infinite energy model. This made him much weaker than Android 17 and 18, and forced him to use a Shut Down Remote to subdue them.
Like Bulma and Dr. Brief, Dr. Gero's greatest strength is his intelligence and scientific expertise as he is able to design and construct Androids, Bio-Androids, and Cyborgs capable of exceeding the power of the likes of Frieza (before his training), Super Saiyans, and Super Namek Piccolo, making them some of the strongest fighters in Universe 7 and some of strongest fighters to originate from Earth.
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
Android 20 possesses basic abilities about the same as Android 19.
- Video games
In Dragon Ball Online, Dr. Gero's clone is capable of holding his own against members of the Time Patrol.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, Android 20 is weaker than the collective members of Tekka's Team (Tekka, Kid Goku, Kid Trunks, Goten, & Pan) who are stronger due to training for the Timespace Tournament. He is also inferior to the teenage Uub who is strong enough to defeat both 19 & 20 (or 17 & 18) by himself which makes sense given that Uub is the reincarnation of Kid Buu and a student of Goku.
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, it is shown that Dr. Gero developed god-like technology capable of creating artificial souls (presumably explaining why Android 19 and Major Metallitron went to Hell despite being completely artificial as they presumably possessed artificial souls) and a system capable of linking both artificial souls and natural human souls allowing them to possess others to control them which Dr. Gero presumably originally developed as a method to control unruly Androids like 17 & 18 as it proved to be effective on them in Age 779. He also developed a machine capable of emitting waves that could effect mortal God-like Saiyans preventing Goku and Vegeta from using Super Saiyan Blue unless they linked with a human soul enough to access their true power. This is exceptional considering the existence godly ki was practically unknown on Earth until long after Dr. Gero's death though presumably, it is due to Dr. Gero studying mortal Saiyan ki enough that when suppressed it prevents them from utilizing their Godly ki properly to transform into Super Saiyan Blue. This would explain why it has no effect on proper deities like Whis and Beerus. Unfortunately, this technology was presumably still too experimental to implement during his lifetime leaving it to his Supercomputer and Android 21 to utilize once it had been perfected.
Aside from his incredible intelligence (one of the best in the world, impressing even Capsule Corporation president Dr. Brief), Dr. Gero has gained combat abilities due to placing his own brain into an energy-absorbing model android.
- Flight – The ability to fly without the use of ki through the use of wings or special mechanisms.
- Energy Attack – The most basic form of energy wave used by androids.
- Energy Absorption – Also known as Life Drain 20. Android 20 has special pads on his palms that allows him to absorb life-energy from his victims by grabbing them.
- Ruthless Blow - After or while absorbing Yamcha's energy, Gero pierces him in the chest with his hand.
- Eye Laser – A synthetic form of eye laser strong enough to pierce through someone.
- Bionic Punisher – A powerful beam shot from both eyes which is strong enough to devastate an entire city.
- Photon Wave – The Full Power Energy Wave he used to flee from the Z Fighters in order to activate Android 18 and Android 17. From his energy-absorbing pads, 20 releases a massive wave of explosive energy that can level an entire valley.
- Photon Blast – The Full Power Energy Ball version of the Photon Wave, Android 20 shoots a pink energy sphere out of his hands.
- Pesky Fly – The Rush Attack that Android 20 used against Krillin.
- Precise Cannon – A Continuous Energy Bullets technique used in the Budokai series.
- Rolling Crush – Android 20 kicks the opponent up and grabs them in mid-air to perform a spinning piledriver.
- Power Break – Android 20 kicks the opponent up in the air, then he punches and kicks them down again, and finally 20 kicks his opponent in the back when he is down. Used in the Budokai series.
- Absorption Barrier - A combination of Energy Absorption and Android Barrier developed by Android 20 for himself in his story mode in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2. In Dragon Ball GT, this ability was incorporated into Super 17 through Hell Fighter 17 by Dr. Myuu without Dr. Gero's knowledge.
- Finish Sign – A power-up move that Dr. Gero used in Dragon Ball: Raging Blast.
- False Courage – A power-up move that Dr. Gero used in Raging Blast.
- 20 Absorb - Dr. Gero's signature attack in the Raging Blast Series.
- Twin Drain – A team attack performed by Dr. Gero and Semi-Perfect Cell in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Self Destruction – Like the other Androids, Android 20 has his own self-destruct device. He uses it in the Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team scenario "The Failed Experiments" to kill himself and Android 19 when 19 betrays him.
- Five-Way Fusion - A fusion dance that allows five people to fuse to create a powerful fusion form. Android 20 can perform it with any 4 members of Tekka's Team in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- EX-Fusion - An unnatural Fusion technique created by Capsule Corporation through Bulma's development of the Metamo-Ring.
- Infinity Bullet - An Energy Barrage technique originally used by Android 18, which appears as one of Android 20's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Speed Up - A movement technique that increases the user's speed. One of Android 20's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Energy Drain - An rush attack where Android 20 grabs his opponent from behind and drains their energy from their mouth to restore his health. One of Android 20's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Super Energy Drain - A stronger version of Energy Drain used by Android 20 as one of his Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Hyper Energy Drain - A stronger version of Energy Drain that is more powerful than Super Energy Drain. Can be used by Android 20 as one of his Special Moves after reaching Lv. 60 in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Energy Wave Absorption - An energy absorption technique used to absorb energy based attacks which appears as one of Android 20's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Super EW Absorption - A stronger version of Energy Wave Absorption which appears as one of Android 20's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Super Energy Drain - A stronger version of Energy Drain used by Android 20 as one of his Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Android 20
Main article: Android In order to increase his lifespan and become far more powerful, Dr. Gero had his brain transplanted into the most powerful energy absorbing android model, which is based on Gero's original body, becoming Android 20; who possessed a half-human body.
- Enhanced Remodel
A form taken on by Dr. Gero in Dragon Ball Heroes, in this state Android 20's eyes glow green and he has been enhanced to be capable of fully controlling Androids: 16, 17 and 18.
- Android 1920
Main article: Android 1920
- Ultra Fusion
Main article: Ultra Fusion As a member of Tekka's Team, Android 20 can perform Five-Way Fusion with any four members of Tekka's Team to create an Ultra Fusion. If initiated by Android 20 himself it will result in a male Earthling Ultra Fusion.
- Detection System – Built into his own Android body is a scouter-like device that allows 20 to detect energy levels.
- Metamo-Ring - A device invented by Bulma and produced by the Capsule Corporation in the Timespace Rift that allows two people wearing one to fuse for as long as they wish and can defuse at will by removing the single Metamo-Ring created when the two Metamo-Rings fuse along with the two fusee.
- Soul Link System - A device designed to link artificial or natural human souls to other beings allowing said soul to possess and control them. Though never utilized in his lifetime, Android 21 and 16 would utilize it during the story of FighterZ.
- Power Suppression Wave Generator - A device designed to suppress the ki of powerful fighters regardless if is natural or artificial (as Android 17 and 18 are affected). Even Good Buu is effected causing him to enter a deep sleep. The waves also prevent Goku and Vegeta from accessing Super Saiyan Blue unless they regain their true power by Soul Linking though they still have access to their mortal Super Saiyan forms such as Super Saiyan Full Power, Super Saiyan Second Grade, and Super Saiyan 3 though Soul Linking is required to utilize them properly. Though never utilized in his lifetime, Android 21 under the influence of her evil persona would utilize it during the story of FighterZ. However, 21 is potentially vulnerable to the waves making activating it dangerous for her as well as shown in the Android 21 Arc. Bulma also develops a machine to counteract the waves while deities like Beerus and Whis are unaffected though they can sense the waves.
- Remote Controlled Android #20 - In Dragon Ball Legends, Gero operates through multiple remote controlled Android 20s in order to avoid risk to himself.
Appearances in other media
Dr. Gero is mentioned by Trunks in the crossover manga Cross Epoch. The Vegeta Sky Pirates are supposed to battle with the Dr. Gero Sky Pirates, but the former choose to attend Shenron's tea party instead.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen
- Cult Jump
- Dragon Ball Z: Super Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z 2: Super Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legend
- Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
- Dragon Ball GT: Transformation
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Data Carddass Dragon Ball Z
- Dragon Ball Z: Sagas
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu
- Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball Online
- Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast
- Dragon Ball Z: Tenkaichi Tag Team
- Dragon Ball Z: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z For Kinect
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Legends
- Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
Though he does not appear physically in Xenoverse, his outfit appears as a clothing (Dr. Gero's Clothes) and accessory (Dr. Gero's Hat) options for the Future Warrior both of which can be obtained in Parallel Quest 27: "Artificial Warriors". Dr. Gero is also mentioned by the Warrior's Masters, Android 18 & Cell if the Warrior talks to them while wearing Gero's Clothes. Dr. Gero's Clothes and Dr. Gero's Hat return as clothing and an accessory in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
In Dragon Ball Fusions, it is revealed that Dr. Gero's villain database was responsible for the creation of Android 33, Android 44, Android 55, and Android 76, who appear as fighters in the Timespace Tournament located inside the Timespace Rift created by Tekka and Pinich's wish to Shenron.
- Japanese: Kōji Yada † (DBZ, DBGT, DBZ Kai and most media until 2014), Ikuya Sawaki (Dragon Ball Legends, DBZ Kakarot)
- German dub: Gerhard Paul
- Italian dub: Oliviero Corbetta
- Portuguese dub: António Semedo
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Aldo César (DBZ), Luiz Carlos de Moraes (DBGT), José Carlos Guerra (DBZ Kai)
- Latin American Spanish dub: Jose Luis Castañeda (DBZ, DBGT), Guillermo Coria (DBZKai)
- Catalan dub: Jordi Dauder
- French dub: Julien Kramer (DBZ Kai)
- Hungarian dub: István Rudas (DBZ), András Várkonyi (DBGT)
- Greek dub: Themis Psihogios (DBZ), Panagiotis Tsitsas (DBGT)
- Dragon Ball Z
- Dr. Gero vs. Yamcha
- Dr. Gero vs. Piccolo
- Dr. Gero vs. Piccolo
- Dr. Gero and Android 19 vs. Goku (Super Saiyan) (Goku's nightmare; anime only)
- Dr. Gero vs. Krillin (anime only)
- Dr. Gero vs. Android 17
- Dragon Ball GT
- Dr. Gero vs. Pan
List of characters killed by Dr. Gero
- Earthlings - Several people are killed when Dr. Gero destroys half of the city on Amenbo Island with Bionic Punisher.
- According to Akira Toriyama, Android 20 and Android 19 were originally meant to be androids which Future Trunks foretold of, however, his former editor Kazuhiko Torishima said that the two looked outdated and ridiculous. So, rather than make them the final androids, Toriyama opted to continue the saga in favor of Android 17 and Android 18.
- Although he created the advanced technology of androids with eternal energy, it is not known why he did not rebuild himself in this pattern, since according to Bulma, he had the desire to live forever. However, 18 implied while taunting him that it was because such technology was difficult for him to control.
- Unlike other Red Ribbon Army members, Gero's name is not based on a color (or in the case of Major Metallitron and Captain Dark, color variations) in either the Japanese version or any localizations.
- Despite being part of the Red Ribbon Army, which plays a major role in Dragon Ball , Dr. Gero was never even mentioned until Future Trunks mentions him during the Trunks Saga of Dragon Ball Z . Strangely in the Funimation dub, when Future Trunks explains the androids to Goku, Trunks talks as though Goku confronted Gero and spared his life, telling him he should have never let Gero go. Goku seems to confirm this, despite no meeting being depicted. This dialogue is altered in Dragon Ball Kai with Goku instead expressing surprise that someone in the Red Ribbon Army managed to escape its destruction. This is slightly inaccurate, as several Red Ribbon characters and many soldiers seemed to have survived their destruction.
- In the same episode dub, Future Trunks also implies that Dr. Gero was the leader of the Red Ribbon Army, however, Commander Red was the leader.
- In one flashback sequence from the episode " Double Trouble for Goku", Master Roshi refers to Dr. Gero as the "current leader" of the Red Ribbon Army. This is technically true because, his later creations aside, he is the highest ranking current member left.
- In the FUNimation dub of the same episode, Master Roshi also claims that Dr. Gero was the leader of the Red Ribbon Army during the time Goku destroyed it, and it is also implied that all of the appearances of Commander Red in the flashbacks were actually of a younger Dr. Gero.
- In both Super Android 13! and the brief flashback during Dragon Ball GT, the dialog when 17 kills him is different than that of the Dragon Ball Z anime.
- In "Laboratory Basement", according to plans he finds in Gero's lab, Future Trunks says that Gero was also working on a gas powered toaster oven.
- In the FUNimation dub, the G in his name is pronounced like soft J, and the "er" is pronounced as such. While in the Ocean dub, they start pronouncing it differently, with the G sounding like a hard J, and the "ero" sounding more like "arrow," while in the original Japanese and translations that follow this pronunciation, the G in his name is a normal G, as in "grip," making his name "Geh-roh," as in grapple.
- Like Frieza, Dr. Gero was sent to Hell with his android body instead of his human body.
- ↑ Chouzenshuu 1, 2013
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 "Dragon Ball Q&A" section, Dragon Ball Full Color Androids Saga volume 1, 2014
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ Dragon Ball FighterZ, 2018
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, 2010
- ↑ Dragon Ball chapter 349, "The Androids Awake!"
- ↑ "Yes. Now I have eternal life like you." - Dr. Gero, Dragon Ball Z episode 133, "Nightmare Comes True"
- ↑ Explained during Imperfect Cell's flashback to Piccolo.
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z episode 191, "The Horror Won't End"
- ↑ Daizenshuu 6, 1995
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Daizenshuu 4, 1995
- ↑ "Right around then was when the Androids No. 19 and No. 20 appeared. You weren't my editor or anything anymore, but you specifically called me to say "I thought that the enemies had finally come, but aren't these just a geezer and a fatso?" (laughs) In truth, I hadn't had plans for anyone but No. 19 and No. 20 to appear. But there was no helping it, so I brought out No. 17 and No. 18. Then you called me up and said "What, this time it is just some brats?" So I brought out Cell." Akira Toriyama, Daizenshuu 2, 1995