Dinosaurs (恐竜 Kyōryū) is the term used to refer diverse group of reptiles from prehistoric times. Unlike the real world, in Dragon Ball the dinosaurs are still alive on Earth, in addition to the fact that there are also equivalent creatures on other planets of the universe such as Namek, Cretaceous, and others planets. They also lived on Mogina before it was destroyed by Beerus.
There are several types of dinosaurs throughout Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, including Triceratops and Apatosaurus. There are also dinosaur species that only exists in the Dragon Ball universe, including the Ferocisaurus, the Paozusaurus, and the Inflatasaurus Rex. In the Dr. Slump chapter "Hello, Moon!", it is explained why dinosaurs coexist with Earthlings in the Dragon World: when Arale Norimaki traveled back to the prehistoric ages, she saved a vast number of dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures from the Mass Extinction when she pushes a falling meteorite back into space. This also resulted in the creation of the Earth's moon in the Dragon World. In the special edition of the movie Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, the God of Destruction Beerus claims that he went to Earth once and dinosaurs took a rude attitude with him, so he wiped them out. Like their reality counterparts most of the dinosaurs range in sizes from 0.5 (2 ft) to over 30 meters in length and stood around 0.5 (2 ft) with some species exceeding up to 9–10 meters (30–32 ft) tall. However within the Dragon Ball universe; numerous of dinosaurs have unrealistically grown to kaiju scale, towering over mountains and buildings to a great extant.
Emperor Pilaf Saga
When Goku leaves Bulma to bring Turtle to the beach, a dinosaur is seen walking near Bulma's Capsule House, scaring her. Shortly before meeting Yamcha, Chi-Chi encounters and kills a Tyrannosaurus rex by decapitating it using the blade on her helmet. The appearance of this T. rex is much more accurate to its real-life counterpart than those that appear later in the series.
In Monster Carrot's Village, dinosaurs serve as transportation.
A large dinosaur, possibly a Triceratops, is seen walking past Yamcha, Puar, Bulma and Oolong shortly after their ship crashes in a forest. In addition to this, a T. rex frequently chases Goku and Krillin as part of their training under Master Roshi. The appearance of this T. rex is noticeably somewhat different than the ones that later appear in Dragon Ball Z. It's most probable that this T. rex is actually an oversized Ceratosaurus.
Red Ribbon Army Saga
In the episode "A Trip to the City" where Goku goes to West City to get Bulma to repair the Dragon Radar, a woman can be seen walking a green theropod as if it were a dog. This woman and her pet are seen again in the Dragon Ball Z episode "Revival", when Bulma summons Shenron to revive those killed by Majin Vegeta in the World Martial Arts Tournament.
Fortuneteller Baba Saga
Krillin and Yamcha are chased by a dinosaur while training under Master Roshi for the upcoming World Martial Arts Tournament in "Goku Goes to Demon Land".
Dragon Ball Z
Gohan constantly finds himself being chased by a hungry Ferocisaurus (ワイルドサウルス Wairudosaurusu, "Wildsaurus") while fending for himself in the wild. He observes a large herd of Triceratops while he was atop the rock formation.
Gohan makes friends with an injured Apatosaurus (草食恐竜 Sōshoku kyōryū, lit. "Plant-eating dinosaur"), but the Apatosaurus is later eaten by the Ferocisaurus. Pretty soon, Gohan is able to easily outrun the Ferocisaurus and eventually slices off pieces of its tail to cook and eat. After a while, it is Gohan who is chasing the Ferocisaurus around.
During a series of filler episodes involving Krillin, Gohan, and Bulma on a fake Namek, a gigantic dinosaur picks up a Dragon Ball and carries it into a lake full of acid, where it is killed. It is later revealed that both the dinosaur and the acid were an illusion, as was everything else on the Fake Namek, as they were imaginary quests constructed by the devious Raiti and Zaacro.
Captain Ginyu Saga
Bulma appears to be chased by a huge pack of Namekian dinosaurs, but it turns out they are only running from Frieza's immense power as he transforms into his second form.
Cell Games Saga
During the panic that's gripping the people, two dinosaurs (apparently in business suits, as well) can be seen panicking.
Great Saiyaman Saga
Maraikoh appears to be a dinosaur, though he also resembles a dragon. He advances into the quarterfinals and beats Frogue, but is defeated by Goku in the semifinals. He is later seen during the Kid Buu Saga and in Dragon Ball GT.
Gohan and Goten own a pet pterosaur named Chobi. Chobi has a mother, and also a father named Toh Toh. Chobi is kidnapped by greedy circus man Mr. Musuka, and Gohan, as Great Saiyaman, attempts to save him, but during a struggle between Saiyaman and Videl, Chobi calls his parents and they attack Satan City. Gohan is forced to knock Toh Toh out to stop him attacking Videl. The family is reunited, and Mr. Musuka is arrested for stealing an officer's handgun.
Also Goten finds two dinosaurs while Gohan is training. The first is a baby who reminds him of Icarus. The second is big, and whips Goten away with his tail. Gohan thinks Goten could have been killed, but at that point was unaware that he was just as powerful as him, able to turn Super Saiyan.
Majin Buu Saga
Dinosaurs are shown in the Capsule Corporation atrium while Trunks is looking for the Dragon Radar. During Bulma and her friend's search for the Dragon Balls, the Four-Star Dragon Ball is swallowed by a dinosaur. They get it back thanks to one of Master Roshi's techniques.
Kid Buu Saga
Several dinosaurs are seen giving Goku energy for his Super Spirit Bomb.
After Kid Buu's defeat, Goku decided to spend most of his day watching over some Pterosaur eggs, as they were nearing hatching, and he has to move some animals that might threaten the eggs survival away, some of which included a dueling Triceratops and T. rex, whom, after being moved to the island, were too confused and bewildered to continue dueling.
Dragon Ball Super
God of Destruction Beerus Saga
A dinosaur appears on an Mogina and was killed by Chief Moginaian. Whis asks for the dinosaur's corpse so Beerus could eat it, but the inhabitant denies and transforms to fight Beerus. After defeating the Chief, Beerus decides he doesn't want to eat the dinosaur anymore and destroys the planet.
Dragon Ball GT
The gang visits Cretaceous, a planet populated by dinosaurs, in order to find one of the Three-Star Black Star Dragon Ball. Later, when the population of Earth is being moved to New Planet Plant in the wake of Earth's destruction at the hands of the Black Star Dragon Balls, two dinosaurs, a Ferocisaurus and a Triceratops, are taken to New Planet Plant via Instant Transmission due to them being too large to fit in the spaceship. The Triceratops looks different than ones seen in previous Dragon Ball series it's possible that it could be a Torosaurus, a close cousin to Triceratops. In opening and ending of Dragon Ball GT, it shown that Goku, Pan and Trunks visit a planet inhabited by dinosaurs encountering prehistoric fauna slightly different from Earth's counterparts.
Additionally, a variety of dinosaur known as Paozusaurus (パオズサウルス Paozusaurusu) that is native to Mount Paozu is mentioned in the episode "A Dangerous Union". The dinosaur itself is not seen, but Chi-Chi serves meat from its tail during a meal, much to Bulma's discomfort.
At Garlic Jr.'s fortress, Gohan played with a purple dinosaur after he ate a fruit that made him euphoric.
The Tree of Might
While searching for the Dragon Balls, Gohan is chased by another hungry Ferocisaurus during the opening sequence of the movie. The scene heavily resembles the chase scene from the anime, which was featured in the first Dragon Ball Z opening (this scene replaces it in the movie).
Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan
In the movie's opening, Gohan is being chased by a hungry Ferocisaurus. Later on, Bulma alongside Puar and Oolong are seen riding a motorbike being chased by a similar Ferocisaurus.
Broly - Second Coming
The Natade Village Monster is a dinosaur who looks similar to the one from the fake Namek that attacks Natade Village on a regular basis. Goten, Trunks, and Videl set a trap for it, resulting in Goten and Trunks harassing the monster (as well as Videl expressing shock at the ease that Goten and Trunks defeated it). Later, they and the inhabitants of the village cook and eat it.
Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
In the opening for Dragon Ball: The Return of Son Goku and Friends!, Goten and Trunks are seen being chased by a Ferocisaurus, mirroring the scene in the Saiyan Saga opening where Gohan is seen chased by a Ferocisaurus. Later in the opening, Videl, Bulma, and Chi-Chi are also seen being chased by a Ferocisaurus, again mirroring the same scene.
Battle of Gods
In the special edition of the movie, Beerus claims that he went to Earth once and dinosaurs took a rude attitude with him, so he wiped them out. A dinosaur later appears in the film, and is shown when Super Saiyan God Goku fights the God of Destruction Beerus on Earth. Goku is sent flying towards this dinosaur during the battle. The dinosaur looks similar to the one that attacked Natade Village in Broly - Second Coming, but is green instead of red.
Video Game Appearances
In Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen, in Act 1, Gohan and his friends must find a herb to make a laxative in town in order to the get the Five-Star Dragon Ball back from a T. rex. T. rex are enemies in Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu. T. rex, Protoceratops, and Triceratops are enemies in the Dragon Ball: Origins series.
A Ferocisaurus is a recurring enemy in the Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku series - labeled in-game as T.Rex - and a dinosaur called King Triceratops is a boss in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II. Also in The Legacy of Goku II, the Dragon Team have to move a mother Brontosaurus eggs in order to destroy one of the generators of the barrier protecting Dr. Gero's Lab in the Northern Mountains.
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, there is a stage that, when a fighter is tossed through some rocks, he faces a Ferocisaurus (the same one that attacks Gohan in the manga and anime series), that tries to bite the player several times, then throws it back into the stage with its tail. A Paozusaurus' tail is also featured as an item in this game; when equipped it raises the player's attack. A T. rex is seen in the background of battle stages in Dragon Ball Kai: Ultimate Butōden.
Humanoid dinosaurs (Raptormen, Pikemen, Archers) and Tinysaurus (who hide in Dinosaur Skull) are enemies encountered on Cretaceous in Dragon Ball GT: Transformation, and an Inflatasaurus Rex is the boss of the level, with its weak spot being inside his stomach.
A type of dinosaur called Hydinosaur appears as an an enemy in Dragon Ball RPG.
Several species of Dinosaurs appear as enemies in Dragon Ball Online. Several species appear in the game, including the Ferocisaurus, referred to as Pulnasaurus (Korean: 쁠나사우루수) in-game, multiple varieties of Pteranodon (including one found on Mount Paozu called the Pulnaradon), and Triceratops, as well as several species of dinosaurs original to the game, including the Big Footsaurus, small raptor-like dinosaurs appearing on Mt. Frypan, Redsaurus, a red, spiked variety of dinosaur appearing in Break Wasteland during the third Time Machine Quest, and the Kerakeratops, a blue ceratopsian dinosaur found on Papaya Island and Fearland.
Dinosaurs also appear in the Pinball mode of the Dragon Ball Z TV game.
"A large carnivorous creature that can be found in the mountains or in wastelands. Though they can be violent and terrifying, some can understand some human speech and be friendly."
— Dinosaur CC Mascot Vote description in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
In Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, there are four kinds of carnivorous dinosaurs. One of them is the Ferocisaurus that chases Gohan, and is encountered in the Central Plains Area during Gohan's training under Piccolo. The most common type is the Grandiosaurus which can be found in Dinosaur Habitats in most regions. Another is called the Megalosaurus and the final one is called Gigantosaurus. Dinosaurs can be hunted for their meat and materials such as horns and fangs like Pterosaurs though they are far more resilient than them and take several hits to take down. Additionally attacking one will cause it to enter an enraged state where it charges towards the player knocking them back, though the attack causes no damage thus they don't really count as enemies as they are fought in the field. They can be attacked from the air to make it easier to avoid their attack. The knock back can interrupt the player as they are trying to defeat the dinosaur. Dinosaur Habitats are marked on the area map (either by encountering one in an area or by purchasing the information from a Guide (which can be found in some villages and cities). Knowing these habitats makes it easy to find one for Dinosaur Hunting or just to know which areas they are found to avoid wondering into their territory by accident. One dinosaur causes some destruction in the Central Plains Area near and can be tracked down to find it fast asleep under the large tree in Blake Bog. However it cannot be awoken by the player even if attacked with Ki Blasts. Megalosaurus are native to arctic regions such as the North Mountains Area, though they are relatively rare there are only two potential Dinosaur Habitats within the area, though a frozen Megalosaurus can be found in an frozen cave and around it can be found high quality Marbled Dino Meat. During the Sub Story: "Your Friend is My Friend", Future Trunks finds Eighter confronting some poachers who are hunting local Megalosaurus for profit. Eighter says that while its okay to kill dinosaurs for food or self defense, he will not tolerate their poaching. However the poachers reveal that they already sent out hunter robots to hunt the Megalosaurus. Future Trunks unaware of Eighter's status as both an Android and an old Ally of Goku's, volunteers to defeat the robots for Eighter and flies off. After defeating the robots in both Dinosaur Habitats, he returns to Eighter and the poachers. The poachers are stunned that he was able to defeat them and run off swearing they'll get him back. Eighter thanks Future Trunks revealing he knows Goku in the process and Future Trunks is thankful to have been able to help Eighter, seeing him as a friend and ally due to his friendship with Goku. Megalosaurus can still be hunted for their meat after the Sub Story, though the frozen Megalosaurus provides an alternative source for their Marbled Dino Meat. Gigantosaurus are very rare and tend to appear in specific Dinosaur Habitats located in certain regions such as the Continent Central Area, Gizard Wasteland, and East Ravine though they tend to appear more rarely in Gizard Wasteland and East Ravine. In addition to living dinosaurs, dinosaur bones can be found in several places where dinosaurs live and some act as landmarks which various playable Z Fighters will comment upon if they fly near them. During the Cell Saga, the Z Fighters can encounter a Brooding Youth from Berl Village in the Central Plains Area near Blake Bog looking at two dinosaur skeletons one of which he reveals was a friend of his who died protecting him from another dinosaur that was a real troublemaker who liked to terrorize the villagers that passed through the area with it dying fighting the Brooding Youth's friend. This shows that the local Earthlings of Berl Village have learned to live alongside the local dinosaur population which is studied by the local dinosaur research station. Additionally, at several points the Z Fighters can encounter civilians who have had run-ins with the Central Plains Area's dinosaur population, which reveals that dinosaurs will occasionally attack travelers and locals driving through the area (though ironically dinosaurs will only attack the Z Fighters if provoked save for Gohan's encounter with the Ferocisaurus). In East Ravine near Lucca Village, there is another dinosaur research lab that studies the dinosaurs native to East Ravine. According to one of the researchers there, it is difficult to study live specimens thus materials acquired from dinosaurs such as their teeth and horns are considered valuable for research not unlike real world fossils. However this in turn had lead to dinosaurs being the target of poachers who hunt them mainly for profit, unlike legitimate dinosaur hunters who target them primarily for their meat.
During the Cell Saga Sub Story: "Close Encounters of the Troublesome Kind", before confronting the mysterious monster attacking Gingertown, Piccolo encounters the rich alien couple that Gohan & Krillin previously assisted on Namek in the Sub Story: "Tourists in Trouble" who have come to Earth to try some of the tail meat of a species of dinosaur native to Earth called a Durasaurus. To get the couple to leave the planet due to the danger posed by the mysterious monster, Piccolo agrees to get them the meat and they reveal that their ship indicates it can be located in Gizard Wasteland. Piccolo finds the Durasaurus which is a unique dinosaur specimen that has a black hide with a metallic sheen and cylinder shaped stone-like structures on its body. The Durasaurus is fought in the same manner as other dinosaurs. Once defeated Piccolo acquires Durasaurus tail meat and automatically travels back to the couple, who are being yelled at by their tour guide Melone who Piccolo mistakes for a Frieza Force soldiers due to Melone still wearing his old Battle Armor from the time he was part of the Frieza Force before going AWOL on Namek. After clearing up the misunderstanding, Melone reveals he brought the couple to Earth as their tour guide to sample some Durasaurus Tail meat but the couple left him behind. Melone is disappointed he didn't get to try some of the tail meat as the couple immediately ate it raw, as cooking it ruins the flavor. Melone and the couple then leave to travel to Planet Yardrat to try their local sweet potatoes. The Durasaurus only appears during this Sub Story and doesn't have a corresponding Z Encyclopedia entry unlike the other species of dinosaur found in Kakarot.
- Z Encyclopedia Entries
- Grandiosaurus - A large carnivorous dinosaur found in all regions. They are said to be very smart and capable of performing tricks if trained, though no one has managed to pull that off yet.
- Megalosaurus - A dinosaur native to arctic regions. Though cold-blooded, it has adapted to more frigid temperatures. Similar to bears, it stores fat for the winter, giving its meat beautiful marbling.
- Gigantosaurus - A very rare large dinosaur. Those that once hunted this elusive creature did not leave many records behind, but many imagine its meat to have an otherworldly flavor.
- Ferocisaurus - A dinosaur found in the Central Plains Area. It is a hyper-aggressive apex predator, and thus is considered to be at the top of the food chain. Gohan was once chased by one.
- Meat Obtained from Dinosaur Hunting
- Lean Dino Meat - "High-quality meat from a dinosaur. Packs a flavor as powerful as one would expect from such a ferocious beast." +1 HP Status Boost. Meal Effect: None
- Marbled Dino Meat - "Beautiful marbled meat from a dinosaur. The mesh-like pattern of fat in the meat is like a work or art." +2 HP Status Boost. Meal Effect: None
- Prime Marbled Dino Meat - "A prime, hard-to-obtain cut of meat from a dinosaur. The gorgeous marbling is indicative of its superior quality. +3 HP Status Boost. Meal Effect: None
- Durasaurus tail meat - The rare meat cut from a Durasaurus' Tail that is considered a delicacy. Best eaten raw as cooking it apparently ruins the flavor.
- Materials Obtained from Dinosaur Hunting
- Red Pterosaur Horn - "A horn from a red pterosaur. A very versatile item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a low price at stores.
- Red Pterosaur Fang - "A fang from a red pterosaur. A very versatile item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a low price at stores.
- Blue Pterosaur Horn - "A horn from a blue pterosaur. Though extremely hard on the outside, it has a certain degree of pliability, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for high price at stores.
- Blue Pterosaur Fang - "A fang from a blue pterosaur. Extremely study but lightweight, it's easy to work with, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a high price at stores.
- Dino Horn - "A horn from a dinosaur. A very versatile item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a low price at stores.
- Dino Fang - "A fang from a dinosaur. A very versatile item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a low price at stores.
- Blue Dino Fang - "A fang from a blue dinosaur. Extremely study but lightweight, it's easy to work with, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a high price at stores.
- Blue Dino Horn - "A horn from a blue dinosaur. Though extremely hard on the outside, it has a certain degree of pliability, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for high price at stores.
- Purple Dino Fang - "A fang from a purple dinosaur. Extremely study but lightweight, it's easy to work with, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for a high price at stores.
- Purple Dino Horn - "A horn from a purple dinosaur. Though extremely hard on the outside, it has a certain degree of pliability, making it a highly valued item." An exchange item. Can be sold for high price at stores.
- Dinosaur Meat Dishes
- Dino Ramen - "A spicy ramen with dino meat. The more you eat, the more you'll feel like a wild carnivore!" +75 HP, +1 to Melee ATK, +1 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: +7% Ki. Effect Duration 3 min. Materials: 4 Wheat, 3 Lean Dino Meat, 4 Egg.
- Extra Meaty Ramen - "The ultimate combination of meat and noodles. Only those with the largest stomachs can finish such a hefty dish." +500 HP, +10 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: 12% Ki. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 4 Rose Wheat, 3 Marbled Dino Meat, 2 Shiny Laver.
- Heap of Meat Ramen Z - "Ramen loaded with a ridiculous amount of meat, as its name suggests. Its ultra high-quality meat and heavenly broth make this ramen legendary." +800 HP, +25 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: *20% Ki. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 4 Golden Wheat, 2 Prime Marbled Dino Meat, 2 Premium Golden Fish Eggs.
- Aged Wild Steak - "A thick premium slab of mouth-watering meat. It's said that eating it will awaken your inner beast." +1000 HP, +25 to Melee ATK, +25 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: +20% to Ki ATK. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 2 Prime Marbled Dino Meat, 3 Prime Golden Wolf Meat, 2 Aromatic Fruit, 2 Frozen Rabbit Meat.
- Smiling Ultra Mega Roast - "A simple yet delicious roast of premium meat. Any seasoning added would only distract from the meat's naturally strong flavor." +1000 HP, +25 to Melee ATK, +10 to Melee DEF Status Boost. Meat Effect: 22% to Melee ATK. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 2 Prime Marbled Dino Meat, 3 Prime Golden Wolf Meat, 3 Premium Golden Gazelle Meat, 3 Premium Golden Venison, 3 Premium Reindeer Meat.
- Dinosaur Meat Dishes (-Trunks- The Warrior of Hope DLC)
- Simmered Stew - "A stew simmered for several hours. Really warms up the body." +75 HP, +1 to Melee ATK, +1 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: +2% to Melee ATK. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 4 Lean Dino Meat, 2 Carrot, 2 Milk.
- Hearty Stew - "A stew filled with plenty of ingredients. Highly nourishing and healthy." +500 HP, +10 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: +12% to Melee ATK. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 4 Marbled Dino Meat, 2 High-Quality Carrot, 2 High-Quality Milk, 3 Select Chicken.
- Hearty Meat Stew - "A stew packed with various meats. Guaranteed to boost your energy levels." +800 HP, +25 to Ki ATK Status Boost. Meal Effect: +22% to Melee ATK. Effect Duration: 3 min. Materials: 4 Prime Marbled Dino Meat, Premium Golden Venison, 10 Select Chicken, 5 Premium Milk, 10 High-Quality Carrot.
- When Vegeta unleashes a devastating attack on Recoome in the episode "No Refuge from Recoome", Krillin says "If Vegeta knew he was so powerful, how come he almost let us go the way of the dinosaurs?" However, dinosaurs are not extinct in Dragon Ball Z. Though he may have referring to their "original" extinction.
- In Battle of Gods, Beerus claims to be the one responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs on Earth, despite dinosaurs still living on Earth, in fact one is seen later in the film during Goku and Beerus' fight. However Beerus only assumed he had wiped them all out, when in fact some of them managed to survive.
- Frieza refers to himself as a dinosaur in Dragon Ball Kai when taunting his opponents.