- This article is about an incarnation of Goku Black. For other characters with the name Black, see Black (disambiguation).
"I heard about my future from Fu. He said that the limitations of this body will come. And so... As I crossed various timelines, I fought every Goku in them... In order to become familiar with this body. This fight was with the 100th one. Now this perfected body is completely mine."
The Crimson-Masked Saiyan (紅き仮面のサイヤ人 Akaki Kamen no Saiya-jin) is an incarnation of Goku Black (ゴクウブラック Gokū Burakku) whose fate was changed by Fu's intervention. Crimson sought to fully master his body by killing numerous incarnations of Goku, and he also planned to complete Project Zero Mortals by wiping out mortals across every reality. This includes populating the Pseudo Universe with mortals and then wiping them out, which in turn would kill all of the mortals in Universe 7.
Like his counterpart, Crimson appears essentially identical to Goku, having his body, but with slight differences. He has a slightly darker skin tone and more defined and sterner eyes, along with a somewhat skinnier physique. His hair is also a noticeably darker shade of black with only four front spikes and three back ones. Crimson possesses a similar black gi to that of Goku Black's standard outfit, with only his right hand being gloved. He wears a Mask with red cracks, and has a single visible eye that glows pink.
Crimson shares his personality with Goku Black, noticeably his hatred for mortals and his obsession with surpassing and eliminating Goku, which led him to seek out and defeat Gokus across various timelines to further augment his own stolen body. He also retains his cunningness, as shown when Shroom revealed that Fu had altered Goku Black's future in an attempt to use him for his own plans, but Goku Black used this turn of events to manipulate Fu and further his own agenda instead. He retains his drive to eradicate all mortals, as shown when he wiped out all mortal life from multiple timelines, and also when he explained his plans to use the properties of the Pseudo Universe to his advantage in order to wipe out all mortals in Universe 7, which would allow Project Zero Mortals to become a success in both of those Universes.
Crimson had the same history as Goku Black up until he was contacted by Fu, who informed him of his future and eventual defeat due to the limits of his body. To prevent this from happening, Crimson traveled to various parallel timelines, fighting a total of 99 different versions of Goku and defeating them all, including a few who used Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan God, and Super Saiyan Blue in the anime, and the 86th, who used Ultra Instinct Sign in the manga. He did this in the goal of completely mastering his stolen body and unleashing its true potential. It was later revealed that during this time, Crimson set out on resuming Project Zero Mortals, wiping out all mortal life across multiple timelines. Afterward, he entered the Pseudo Universe upon its creation, while Fu was locked in the Time Labyrinth with Xeno Vegito.
Dragon Ball Heroes
New Space-Time War Saga
Main article: New Space-Time War Saga
While Goku and Hearts are in the middle of their battle with Frieza and Meta-Cooler, they are all watched from above by Crimson, who urges them to fight so that they will unknowingly aid his own upcoming plans. He goes on to fuse the Dark Dragon Balls with Frieza and Meta-Cooler. In the anime, he is pleased when Broly joins the fight, remarking that his display was both "horrid and wonderful at the same time", but grows irritated when the Warrior in Black Clothes interrupts and takes the Dark Dragon Balls for himself, referring to him as an uninvited guest. When confronted by Goku and Hearts, Hearts is unable to identify Crimson, with the mask obstructing his mind-reading ability. He tells them that everything is fine as long as they continue to battle and denies his affiliation with Fu, before dissipating into thin air.
In the manga, Crimson arrives in order to fight Goku, who quickly deciphers his identity as Black. After turning Super Saiyan Rosé, he manages to bring down Goku by landing a clean hit, despite Goku using Ultra Instinct Sign, followed by Super Hearts and Vegeta. After impaling Goku through the shoulder with his Violent Fierce God Slicer, he is interrupted from delivering the finishing blow by an exhausted Evil Saiyan Turles, whom he eliminates with a powerful blast, but not before Turles tosses his Three-Star Dragon Ball to Vegeta.
"Now, start fighting... Mortals!"
In the anime, Crimson is later shown overseeing a battle between Turles, Cumber and Vegeta from afar, encouraging the "mortals" to begin fighting. When Goku and Hearts teleport to Vegeta, they are confronted by Crimson, who reveals himself to be Black by displaying his Super Saiyan Rosé form, much to Goku's surprise. He then fights Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Hearts and quickly defeats them. Vegeta attempts to fight Crimson, but drops out of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (Controlled Berserk), due to lack of experience with the form, before he can fire his Galick Gun. Crimson then prepares to finish off both Vegeta and the pseudo Planet Vegeta with a Holy Light Grenade. However, Goku then confronts Crimson with Ultra Instinct Sign, easily outmatching him and dodging all of his attacks, before quickly landing multiple heavy strikes on him. Crimson quickly recovers and nearly catches Goku off-guard, but Goku manages to avoid the attack and lands a heavy blow on him.
Irritated yet delighted at the prospect that he too can grow even stronger with Goku's body (despite having initially thought he had perfected his power by defeating Goku 99 times previously, whom he calls the 100th one), Crimson uses Finger Beams to ravage the Pseudo Universe's Planet Vegeta, taunting Goku to try to survive its destruction, and exclaiming that watching the death of a planet die is always beautiful. However, his irritation grows when he notices Cell arrive to save Goku's group, and he becomes furious when Turles distracts him from firing on them with a blast of his own. After eliminating Turles in retaliation, Crimson mutters angrily about the interference of the dead as well as Demigra and Shroom's meddling, before leaving the pseudo-Planet Vegeta to its fate.
"Soon... In this Pseudo Universe, Mortals will be... No, rather, I should say, "fake" Mortals will be born. The lives that disappear here will also disappear in the original universe. In a place like this, I can kill all mortals without suffering from any intervention."
During another attack on humanity by Crimson, the Warrior in Black Clothes confronts him in battle, surprising Crimson by pulling back his hood to reveal his Goku-like Super Saiyan appearance. The two appear to be evenly matched in their base states, before Crimson transforms into Super Saiyan Rosé 2. Upon being questioned by the Warrior in Black Clothes, Crimson reveals that in order for mortals to be born in the Pseudo Universe, he needs to collect energy from other beings, which he does by getting them to fight. And since the Pseudo Universe is linked to Universe 7, once the Pseudo Universe is populated with mortals, he will be able to wipe out all mortals in both the Pseudo Universe and in Universe 7 without any outside interference, since there are no other gods present in the Pseudo Universe, ensuring that Project Zero Mortals will finally be a success. With this, the two begin fighting, with the Warrior in Black Clothes revealing that his appearance is nearly identical to that of Goku. Crimson is shocked at the appearance of his opponent, and he tries to interrogate him on his identity; however, the Warrior in Black Clothes replies that he has already thrown away his past, including his name. Using the Super Saiyan transformation (with an aura similar to that of Super Saiyan 2), the Warrior in Black Clothes is able to fight on-par with Crimson, who is using Super Saiyan Rosé 2, though Crimson retains a slight advantage. However, the Warrior in Black Clothes is quickly outmatched when Crimson ascends into Super Saiyan Rosé 3, placing him at Crimson's mercy.
Crimson then attempts to finish off his enemy with a finger beam; however, he is saved by the untimely arrival of Perfected Ultra Instinct Goku and Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (Controlled Berserk) Vegeta. However, he remains confident in his strength.
- Manga and Anime
In the manga, Crimson was said to have defeated and killed 99 incarnations of Goku, at least one of whom was able to use Ultra Instinct Sign. In his Super Saiyan Rosé form, Crimson quickly takes down Ultra Instinct Sign Goku and holds an edge over Super Hearts, he is also able to obliterate Evil Saiyan Turles with one energy wave - though Turles was already injured from prior fighting.
In the anime, as a Super Saiyan Rosé, Crimson is able to defeat Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Super Hearts. He revealed to have previously killed 99 different versions of Goku from different timelines, one even using Super Saiyan Blue. Against Ultra Instinct Sign Goku, he was completely outmatched, with every one of his attacks was avoided by Ultra Instinct Sign Goku. However, once he recovered from Goku's first barrage of attacks, he nearly caught Goku off-guard with an attack of his own, though Goku managed to avoid it. Afterwards, Crimson's power proved able to easily destroy the Psuedo Planet Vegeta with a couple of finger beams.
Later, against the Warrior in Black Clothes, during their first, brief clash, the Crimson-Masked Saiyan was able to fight on-par with the Warrior in Black Clothes in their respective base states. As a Super Saiyan Rosé 2, Crimson was able to fight on par with the mysterious foe's Super Saiyan power. However, upon using Super Saiyan Rosé 3, Crimson was able to swiftly defeat his opponent. Afterward, as Ultra Instinct Goku and Super Saiyan Blue Evil Aura Vegeta appeared, Crimson still remained confident against the new threats.
- Flight - The ability to take flight through the manipulation of ki.
- Ki Blast - The most basic form of energy attack.
- Darkness Impact - Crimson's Super Attack in Dragon Ball Heroes. Crimson dashes at the target, punching them away and kicking them down, before following up with a black and red energy wave.
- Violent Fierce God Slicer - Crimson uses this technique in his Super Saiyan Rosé form in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Sickle of Sorrow - A more powerful variant of the Violent Fierce God Slicer, Crimson utilizes this technique in his Super Saiyan Rosé form in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Pitch-Black Conviction - Crimson's Super Attack in his Super Saiyan Rosé form in Dragon Ball Heroes. Crimson pulls out the Sickle of Sorrow, creating a rift in space behind the target, and slashes through both.
- Saiyan Power - Wielding the body of a Saiyan, Crimson is capable recovering from harm much quicker than most. During which, he becomes stronger and more efficient compared to before the more he struggles in battle and is harmed. As he naturally wields divine ki, this ability is more advanced than ordinary Saiyans. Mere moments of pain and minor injuries show a considerable boost to his might. Even more, he appear able to recover from injuries within seconds.
- Finger Beam - Used by Crimson in the anime's version of events to destroy the Pseudo Universe's Planet Vegeta.
- Holy Light Grenade - Used by Crimson in the manga to destroy the Pseudo Universe's Planet Vegeta. In the anime, he attempted to use the technique to finish off both Vegeta and the Pseudo Universe's Planet Vegeta, but he stopped his attack as soon as he sensed Ultra Instinct Sign Goku's energy behind him.
- Pseudo Mortal Creation - Crimson is capable of using collected energy to create fake mortals within the Pseudo Universe, which when killed results in the death of their real counterparts.
- Blades of Judgement - In a vision of his plan, Crimson is shown using this attack on the fake mortals.
- Imperial Wrath of Judgment (裁きの逆鱗) - Crimson's Super Attack in his Super Saiyan Rosé 2 form in Dragon Ball Heroes. Crimson creates an energy sphere and throws it at the target, trapping them inside it. Crimson then gestures at the sphere to detonate it.
- God Binding Light Bullet - Crimson's Super Attack in his Super Saiyan Rosé 3 form in Dragon Ball Heroes.
Main article: Mask
Crimson uses a Time Breaker Mask to become the Crimson-Masked Saiyan.
- Super Saiyan Rosé
Crimson is capable of taking on the Super Saiyan Rosé transformation.
When he uses this form, the upper part of his mask breaks off, revealing his left eye, with a blood-colored eye and a pink-colored eyebrow.
- Super Saiyan Rosé 2
Crimson is capable of transforming into the divine equivalent to the Super Saiyan 2 transformation.
In this transformation, his hair becomes spikier, his forehead has only three bangs over it, and the aura takes on a jagged, fiercer-looking appearance rather than a smooth or flowing like it's predecessor, reinforced with extreme, purple-colored electricity.
- Super Saiyan Rosé 3
Crimson is also capable of further advancing Super Saiyan Rosé's power into a divine Super Saiyan 3 transformation.
In this form, his hair reaches down to his thighs, and his muscle mass noticeably increases. The eyebrows vanish completely, while the brow ridges become larger and more pronounced.
- Time Breaker Mask - Crimson wears a Time Breaker Mask, which grants him a significant power boost. While the mask normally places the wearer under the control of the person who gave them the mask, Crimson appears to retain full control of himself, likely due to either his divine status or his extremely powerful will.
- Dark Dragon Balls - A set of Dragon Balls created by Xeno Dende for the Dark Empire. At some point, Crimson obtained the One-Star and Two-Star Dark Dragon Balls, which he fused with Frieza and Cooler to fuel conflict in the Pseudo Universe for his own plans.
Video Game Appearances
- Japanese: Masako Nozawa
- Pre-Dragon Ball Heroes
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. 99 alternate Gokus
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. an alternate Goku (Super Saiyan 3) (Flashback; anime)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. an alternate Goku (Super Saiyan God) (Flashback; anime)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. an alternate Goku (Super Saiyan Blue) (Flashback; anime)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. 86th alternate Goku (Ultra Instinct Sign) (Manga only)
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Base/Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan Blue) and Hearts (Super Hearts)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan Blue/Base)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Goku (Base/Ultra Instinct Sign)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Turles (Evil Saiyan)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Base/Super Saiyan Rosé 2/Super Saiyan Rosé 3) vs. Warrior in Black Clothes (Base/Super Saiyan)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. Frieza (Final Form) and Meta-Cooler (Golden Meta-Cooler)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. Goku (Ultra Instinct Sign)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. Goku
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan vs. Goku, Hearts and Warrior in Black Clothes
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Base/Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan Blue) vs. Hearts (Super Hearts)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan Blue), Vegeta (Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan (Controlled Berserk)) and Hearts (Super Hearts)
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé) vs. Turles
- Crimson-Masked Saiyan (Super Saiyan Rosé 2/Super Saiyan Rosé 3) vs. Warrior in Black Clothes (Super Saiyan)
List of characters killed by the Crimson-Masked Saiyan
- Gowasu (Goku Black's timeline) – Killed by Black so he could steal both the Potara earrings and Time Ring.
- Rumsshi (Goku Black's timeline) - Died due to his Life Link with Gowasu.
- Goku (Goku Black's timeline) – Killed by Black after stealing his body.
- Chi-Chi (Goku Black's timeline) – Killed by Black along with Goten, in the Dragon Ball Super anime.
- Goten (Goku Black's timeline) – Killed by Black along with Chi Chi, in the Dragon Ball Super anime.
- Mortals across various timelines – Killed by Crimson to achieve his ambition of realizing Project Zero Mortals in every reality.
- 99 alternate Gokus – Defeated and killed by Crimson for his goal of fully mastering Goku's body and making it his own.
- Turles – Killed by Crimson in anger over him saving Goku.
- The Crimson-Masked Saiyan is the seventh character in the entire franchise to utilize Super Saiyan Rosé (despite being an incarnation of his main counterpart, Goku Black).
- The Crimson-Masked Saiyan is the eighth Saiyan to use a Time Breaker Mask.