"Yes! It is I who decides who lives and who dies! All living things are mere playthings to me! No one can comprehend my power and cunning!"
Cooler (クウラ Kūra, lit. "Koora") is the titular main antagonist in the movie Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge and an emulation of him acts as the main antagonist in Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler. He is the older brother of Frieza and the eldest son of King Cold. Like his brother, he can push his body through transformations. Also, like Frieza, Cooler possesses a biomechanical incarnation, but this is gained from merging with the Big Gete Star.
Cooler's appearance in his base form is similar to that of Frieza's Final Form, though Cooler's skin is deep-purple as opposed to the pure white of his brother. Cooler is also much taller than Frieza, being similar in height to Goku. Along with this, Cooler has a distinctively more masculine appearance than that of Frieza, who is more lean-built (excluding the engorged muscle mass when at 100% full power). Cooler also sports several armor-like carapaces on his chest, shoulders, shins, and head; these are apparently natural given how they too change when he transforms.
When he transforms, however, his body undergoes great changes as opposed to his base form, his chest and muscle-mass have expanded greatly, to a degree similar to that of Frieza's Second Form. His white carapace also changes, with the breast-plates shoulder pads becoming hoop-like in shape, while the white carapaces on his wrists change drastically, gaining dark-blue sections and procuring blade-like protrusions. Perhaps Cooler's most distinguishing characteristic in this form, however, is the change in the carapace he has on his head, which in this form completely encases his entire head except for his eyes, his mouth being covered behind something reminiscent of a visor, four spikes extend from his cranium and there is a large dark-blue section in the middle of his head.
Cooler's personality is quite similar to that of his younger brother and his father, though with a few noticeable differences. Like Frieza, Cooler handles problems in an intellectual and serious manner. Though, unlike his brother, Cooler is not consumed by his ego and is less likely to underestimate his opponents, as seen when he acknowledged that Goku was still alive despite taking a direct hit from his Darkness Eye Beam, due to the latter managing to utilize a counterattack against him, and thus ordered his subordinates to search for and kill him, and in the English dub also deliberately refuses to use the easy solution of ensuring Goku's death by blowing up the Earth specifically in order to make sure he had confirmed Goku's death with his own eyes despite his preference of blowing it up. Even when they had demolished a large portion of the surrounding environment with continuous barrages of energy blasts, he insisted that they continue their pursuit. Likewise, he does not get overly proud of accomplishments that require little effort as he found Frieza's gloating at destroying Planet Vegeta so childish. Cooler is also apparently more positively inclined and respectful towards his subordinates than his brother and father, as he has never once been seen abusing, ridiculing, executing them or anything of the sort. He also offers to take on opponents who outmatch them personally, which likely contributes to their undivided loyalty and respect for him. He even seems to be inclined to take his subordinates' advice. However, Cooler still underestimated his opponent, as by allowing Goku's space pod to escape instead of following his subordinates' suggestion of shooting it down, he was paving his own downfall years later when Goku defeated him. Cooler himself lamented that when he looked down on Frieza for being soft that day, he himself was no better for not shooting down Goku's pod.
Despite these things though, Cooler is a ruthless killer, even by his own admission. While he does not appear to relish in the agony and despair of his opponents like his brother does, he is fully capable of attacking children, ambushing enemies from behind and inflicting great harm upon an already incapacitated opponent. Upon entering his final form, Cooler displays a personality similar to the one shown by his younger brother in his second form, though not quite as pronounced: Cooler becomes exceedingly more brutal in his efforts to kill Goku. Other similarities he has with Frieza is that he is completely assured of his own superiority over his opponents, and his ego is also quite pronounced as he denotes himself as the "supreme master of the universe".
With regards to his relationship with his family, Cooler appears to have had a simple sibling rivalry with Frieza, labeling him as arrogant, foolish, a spoiled brat and a pest, and even goes as far as to admit that if Goku had not killed Frieza, he himself would have done so. He also says that Frieza was the "favored" one in regards to their parents. In Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans, however, Cooler and Frieza appear to be more than capable of working together to defeat a common foe, though this is likely due to the both of them having been defeated by Saiyans and their subsequent desire for revenge. Cooler is never shown with King Cold, but dialogue implies that he holds the same respect for his father as Frieza did. Cooler appears to not care for his father, as upon Cold trying to get help from him in the Prison Planet Saga, Cooler proceeds to kill him. In Cooler's only interaction with Cold in Supersonic Warriors 2, he opposes him. In Cooler's ending in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road, Cooler, and Frieza are shown to have a good relationship, as they plan to destroy the Saiyans together, and the two compliment each other at several points.
In Frieza's arcade mode in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, Frieza mentions that Cooler believes that violence is the answer to almost anything, something which Frieza disagrees with. Cooler also has a certain sense of pride and lust for battle as he took Videl hostage, then quickly releases her after present Gohan agrees to have a one-on-one match.
In the Xenoverse series, while his sibling rivalry with Frieza is still present, he is willing to begrudgingly work him to defeat the Saiyans and even travels to Dying Namek to aid his brother against Super Saiyan Goku in Age 762 after having been transported there by Towa, whom Cooler notes to Frieza when he asks why he is on Namek that he might as well repay his debt to her by killing Goku before asking himself why he should be explaining any of it to his brother. This shows that Cooler is able to feel gratitude to those who assist him like Towa did and even possesses a sense of honor when it comes to those who assist him in such a manner (though admittedly he had his own reasons for killing Goku for tarnishing his family's name by defeating Frieza which he himself planned to erase from history by killing him in Age 762, only to be defeated by the 2nd Future Warrior). In one parallel quest, he reveals the only reason he did not kill his brother was out of familial respect though he himself has no real qualms about committing fratricide demonstrating the same lack of caring for blood kin as his Frieza demonstrated (Frieza did not want to revive Cold and did not care if his father or brother's souls were erased when Roh pointed out his family and/or loved ones would be erased with Universe 7 if he betrayed them for Universe 9 with Frieza coldly acting unconcerned by and even confused by his remarks as Frieza himself had no loved ones but himself).
However during the main story Cooler does note that it doesn't hurt to act like a big brother every now and then when helping Frieza on Namek, showing that he understands how an elder sibling should act (by protecting and guiding their younger siblings when they need help or guidance) while Frieza fails to even look up to his elder brother (Frieza himself despises Cooler due to what he perceives as his perfectionism due to the latter's tendency to criticize Frieza for his failures even if it were for Frieza's benefit to actually listen to Cooler). Cooler still has no qualms about killing his own family as he states his intention to kill Frieza and his father to the Future Warrior when they train under him in Xenoverse 2. However he does spare Frieza after defeating him in the Frieza's Spaceship time rift anomaly if the Future Warrior joins the Cooler Force (Cooler's faction within the Galactic Frieza Army) and leaves the Frieza Force (Frieza's faction) under the Future Warrior's control to do as they see fit, having earned his complete trust for their assistance in aiding him in becoming Emperor of Universe 7. These acts show that he is willing to reward such loyalty (even offering to allow the Future Warrior to reestablish their race if they are a Saiyan).
Like the rest of his family, Cooler is shown to be involved in the Frieza Force, although he does not appear to work closely with his family. He also leads his own squadron of warriors as a planet subjugator for the Frieza Force. According to an issue of Shonen Jump, Cooler has control of at least 256 planets, as his henchman, Dore is stated as hailing from planet Coola No. 256.
In Age 737, while Frieza destroyed Planet Vegeta, the home planet of the Saiyans, a newly-born Kakarot was being sent to subjugate Earth. Seeing that Goku had escaped the explosion, Cooler's henchmen made plans to shoot the space-pod down. Cooler unexpectedly delayed the order, lamenting that his brother was still far too soft to allow a child's escape and that Frieza's conceit would delay the annihilation of the Saiyan race and jeopardize his family's absolute control over the galaxy. He and his squad were also tasked with the subjugation of seven planets by the end of that day.
Cooler always had a sibling rivalry with Frieza and even went as far as to admit that if Goku had not killed Frieza, he himself would have tried to kill him. At some point, Cooler found the means to gain a clear advantage over his younger brother: he transformed into a Fourth Transformation, with power surpassing even his younger brother's full power at the time.
Dragon Ball GT
Super 17 Saga
Main article: Super 17 Saga
Cooler later makes a cameo appearance in Dragon Ball GT, when most previous villains escape from Hell when Dr. Gero and Dr. Myuu open a Dimensional Hole. He and the rest of the villains are sent back to Hell shortly afterward.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Cooler's Revenge
"Well, well... not bad. Rather impressive, actually. Frieza... yes, I could see how he would have trouble with you. My brother was a pest - I would have killed him myself sooner or later. He was always trying to beat me, trying to prove that he was the best, and he definitely had the edge. But then it happened. As you know, I'm in the third transformed state, but I found a fourth beyond it! You should feel privileged, you will be the first one to witness this form! First you will see, then you will DIE!"
Cooler first appears in the prologue to the movie, where he orders for Salza and the rest of the Armored Squadron to belay an order to intercept and destroy an attack pod containing a Saiyan infant, citing that Frieza made the mistake of letting him escape, and sees absolutely no reason why he should interfere with his schedule regarding seven planets that day to cover for Frieza (depending on the version of the movie, he either intended to conquer [Japanese] or destroy [Funimation dub] the planets in question), and also figured that the Saiyan would pose no threat to them due to only being an infant. In the Funimation dub, when complaining about how Frieza is too blinded by his arrogant pride to notice the space pod, he stated that the space pod could have contained King Vegeta for all Frieza knew. He then had the ship flee the system, due to wanting to evade the destructive waves posed by the planet's destruction.
Roughly 27 years after the genocide of the Saiyans, Cooler is given the word that his brother had been killed by a Saiyan. Initially skeptical, he soon comes to believe it, and heads to Earth to restore his family's honor (he makes the point that he is not doing this to avenge Frieza. In the FUNimation dub, he also bitterly states that part of the reason Frieza got beaten was that of their father, King Cold, "spoiled [Frieza] rotten"). Upon arriving, he makes his henchmen encounter a Saiyan, who of course is Goku. As Goku was unaware of Frieza having a brother, he mistakes Cooler for Frieza and is shocked at the apparent survival of "Frieza". Cooler wounds Goku in a blast intended for Gohan but loses sight of his quarry after Goku is washed down a waterfall. This encounter leads Cooler to suspect that Goku did, in fact, kill Frieza, since Goku had thrown a powerful ki blast from a very compromising position after he had been hit by Cooler's eye beams. Not content to blow up the planet & being too proud and eager to smite the one who injured his family name, Cooler goes to some lengths to have him tracked down.
With Dore and Neiz killed by Piccolo and Salza almost defeated by him, Cooler finally enters the battle himself, with Piccolo expressing shock, believing him to be Frieza and stating that he should be dead. Cooler punctures a hole through Piccolo and has Salza go after Gohan. Goku, revived by consuming a Senzu Bean, encounters Cooler, learning he is Frieza's brother as Cooler demonstrates how much mercy he lacks, by dropping Piccolo, (pretending to let Piccolo go for Goku to rescue him) and then blasting Piccolo before Goku could catch him. Goku, enraged, condemns Cooler as ruthless as his brother before beginning his battle with Cooler. Initially, he and Cooler are a fairly even match; Cooler then understands how Goku gave his brother trouble. He soon reveals to Goku that Frieza was always trying to beat him at everything and that he would have killed him sooner had it not been for his father; this implies that Cooler was planning on killing Frieza before his confrontation with Goku, and desired to kill Goku mostly for robbing him of his chance of doing so, rather than family matters. Cooler soon tells Goku of his ability to transform once more than Frieza and shows him his ultimate transformation (in Funimation's dub).
Cooler now easily overpowers Goku in this form, and keeps to his word to make sure the Saiyan suffers for bringing shame upon his family's legacy, by attacking Goku with back-breaking techniques, almost bringing Goku to death, until at length he grows tired of the fight and feels Frieza had further shamed his family by dying at Goku's hand. As he makes plans to destroy the planet, Goku's rage transcends, transforming him into a Super Saiyan. Off-guard and arrogant, Cooler is overpowered by the Saiyan; he realizes how Frieza lost to Goku and laughs crazily at it. Finally becoming desperate, he gathers enough energy to form a Supernova (the same attack Frieza used to destroy Planet Vegeta) to obliterate the Super Saiyan and Earth. However, with a powerful Super Kamehameha, Goku is able to offset his attack and send Cooler hurling into the Sun (In the Funimation dub, when Cooler first notices the Sun while being knocked back by Goku's Super Kamehameha, he considers destroying the Sun with the intention of causing the Earth and the surrounding Solar System to freeze in darkness, but stops when he realizes that he is heading right towards it). Cooler realized that Goku was the Saiyan child he had allowed escaping nearly three decades ago and that in scolding his brother and not lifting a finger, he had been far too soft himself. Cooler is then incinerated in the Sun.
The Return of Cooler
Main articles: Dragon Ball Z: The Return of Cooler, Meta-Cooler Core, and Meta-Cooler Cooler's remains float around in space and eventually fuse with the Big Gete Star, a giant machine. The Big Gete Star revives Cooler by finally fusing with his brain, causing him to fuse with it into Meta-Cooler Core. Meta-Cooler Core set a course for New Namek, intent on draining the planet and using the Namekians as fuel for the star. Dende, learning of this horrible news, calls to Earth's warriors for help; Goku, Gohan, and Piccolo, as well as Krillin, Master Roshi, Oolong, and Yajirobe, travel to New Namek, ready to assist its people.
Meta-Cooler appears before the Dragon Team. Stronger than ever, he is able to face Goku and Vegeta. The two Super Saiyans have trouble defeating Meta-Cooler, but eventually do so. However they discover that it was not Cooler himself but a remote controlled duplicate. An army of Meta-Cooler emerge to attack and overwhelm the duo, who are taken into the star.
Goku and Vegeta encounter the remains of the actual Cooler, an obscene and grinning head split with one remaining eye, strung up by wires and sheets of metal and integrated into the Big Gete Star's main computer. After a conflict with Meta-Cooler Core's Battle Form, what is left of Cooler is destroyed by Goku.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
Main article: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans series
Ghost Cooler, along with what appears to be a resurrected Frieza, Turles, and Lord Slug, attack Goku and his friends in Dragon Ball: Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. They are in fact Ghost Warriors meant to harass the heroes.
Main article: Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 During an altered history of the final battle with Frieza on Planet Namek, Cooler is transported from another time period by Towa and Mira to aid his brother in the fight against Super Saiyan Goku and the Future Warrior. During the battle, Cooler transforms into his Fourth Transformation while Frieza transforms into his 100% Final Form. However, Cooler is eventually defeated and falls into the molten core of Dying Namek. Afterward, Goku continues his battle with Frieza alone and the Future Warrior leaves to help Future Trunks and Ace deal with Mira.
Cooler later appears as Metal Cooler in Age 779, history having been changed so that Cooler is revived alongside Frieza when Sorbet wishes him back to life by using the second wish originally taken by the Pilaf Gang. Metal Cooler is then upgraded to have far greater power and enhanced by dark magic, he appears during Golden Frieza's fight with the Future Warrior and Goku after Whis notices him, but Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta steps in to fight Metal Cooler. Frieza destroys the planet and kills everyone, but Whis rewinds time and the Future Warrior stops this. Frieza and Metal Cooler then both use the Supervillain form, however, they are still defeated.
- Frieza's Spaceship side-quests
While working undercover as a member of the Frieza Force to investigate the time rift anomaly around Frieza's Spaceship, the Future Warrior will encounter Cooler onboard after defeating the entire Ginyu Force twice. Impressed by the Warrior's fighting ability and power after watching them defeat the Ginyu Force, Cooler offers the Warrior a chance to work under him. The Warrior can choose to ally themselves with either Cooler or remain under Frieza. If they chose to join up with Cooler, he will give them a mission to defeat Frieza in order to prove Cooler is the strongest. After defeating Frieza, Cooler will assign the Warrior to spar with him for his training as mentor. During the training, Cooler will explain his goal is to keep getting stronger in order to defend his family's place as the strongest in the universe. After sparring against Cooler in his fifth form four times, Cooler will evolve into Metal Cooler. If the Future Warrior is a Saiyan, out of respect for their loyalty, Cooler says he will allow them to rebuild the Saiyan civilization on any planet they choose. He also gives them command over Frieza's men, though he doubts they will be much of any use to someone as powerful as the Future Warrior.
Dragon Ball Heroes
Prison Planet Saga
Main article: Prison Planet Saga
- Prison Planet Gathering Saga
At some point, Cooler is kidnapped by Fu and is brought to the Prison Planet to unwillingly take part in his experiment. When Future Trunks wakes up in his cell, the doors open up for him allowing him to leave. As Trunks heads out he soon runs into Cooler in his final form who demands that Trunks hand him over one of the Special Dragon Balls that are needed to escape the planet though Trunks is not in possession of any.
Trunks and Cooler arrive in the Green Area shortly after Goku takes on his Super Saiyan: Berserk form announcing to Vegeta that he is on their side because their goals align for now. Cooler transforms into Golden Cooler during his confrontation with Goku telling Fu that if his brother can achieve it then so can he. Upon doing so he immediately defeats Goku with a single punch which returns him to normal before launching a Golden Supernova at Cunber, though the attack does no damage at all.
- Prison Planet Awakening Saga
In the manga while Vegito battles Cunber, Golden Cooler follows Majin Ozotto through a portal, bringing Future Trunks through as well, to travel to the Chaos Area of the Prison Planet. When Trunks asks why they came here, Cooler explains that it's because Ozotto appeared to know a lot about the Special Dragon Balls. Cooler finds his father, King Cold injured up against a rock and he compliments his son's strength in his new Golden Form. When King Cold asks Cooler to join him, Cooler fires a Death Beam through his father saying that he will not be used and collects the Dragon Ball from him. He then turns his attention on the Ghost Warriors, Kid Buu, Bojack, Lord Slug, Turles, and Cell and battles them alongside Trunks. When Ozotto gets Hatchiyack to destroy the machine and gathers his Six-Star Special Dragon Ball, Ozotto uses his teleportation abilities to send Trunks and Cooler back to the Green Area.
There Goku and the others are fighting Cunber and when Fu creates a portal to teleport away from the soon to be destroyed Prison Planet, Cooler chases him through it before it closes.
Universal Conflict Saga
Main article: Universal Conflict Saga Cooler is turned into Meta-Cooler by Fu and becomes subservient to him. Watching the Core Area Warriors battle the Dragon Team and Pride Troopers, Fu decides it is time to unleash Meta-Cooler. Later, in Universe 3, Cooler almost defeats Lagss until Cunber inadvertently saves her and transforms into a Super Saiyan 3 to continue the fight. The battle proves to be evenly matched at first, with Cunber mocking Cooler for turning himself into a machine. Cooler however tells him that he has a new power before gaining an edge in the battle. Cooler then transforms into Golden Meta-Cooler at which point Cunber’s attacks are shown to have no effect and is greatly overpowered. After knocking Cunber down to the ground, Cooler launches three supernova energy blasts at the Saiyan but overheats and flees the battle. Cunber survives the blasts, but collapses and falls unconscious soon after.
- Supersonic Warriors 2
In Supersonic Warriors 2, Cooler gets his own story mode that can either follow a standard storyline or branch off into a few what-if scenarios. In one scenario, Cooler and his mechanized brother join forces to take over the Earth, which ultimately ends in Cooler killing his brother for treachery and then going on to kill King Cold for complete control over the universe.
- Movies and OVAs
In his base form, Cooler is able to more or less fight evenly with Goku's base form. When Cooler transforms into his Final Form, Goku states his ki is even greater than Frieza's. His degree of superiority over Goku is such that he flies through a Kaio-ken Kamehameha with no damage. However, Cooler was completely outmatched when Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan, being caught by complete surprise by the Saiyan's speed and is unable to deal any significant damage even with a close-range energy wave. Despite being quickly overwhelmed, Cooler does not seem frightened, showing that he still believes that he is strong enough to defeat Goku. This is instantly proven when Cooler distracts Goku with a quick energy wave to prepare his ultimate attack: the Supernova. Once fired at Goku, it was able to give him significant trouble, but it is eventually forced back when Goku fires a Kamehameha into Cooler's Supernova, sending him into the sun. However Goku was completely drained of his power after repelling Cooler. According to Cooler just prior to using his Supernova, he also was capable of gathering ki energy for the attack much faster than Frieza. The FUNimation dub implies that he was also powerful enough to destroy an entire star if he wished immediately prior to his defeat.
Additionally, it is strongly implied that Cooler can control his ki far better than his other family could at the time, as the Z Fighters never detected his presence unlike how they were able to sense both Cold and Frieza while their ship had just entered Earth's orbit. Additionally, even while flying, Cooler could easily sneak up on the likes of Piccolo, who only noticed him once Cooler had made his presence known (normally flight would prevent one from concealing one's ki) indicating his ki control may even be on a level greater than any of the Z Fighters at that time.
In the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans OVA Ghost Cooler is able to put up somewhat of a fight against Super Saiyan Goku.
- Dragon Ball Heroes
In the Prison Planet Saga, in the manga, Final Form Cooler is able to kill base Bojack with a sneak attack Death Beam. In the anime final form Cooler is able to briefly grapple with Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku - though he is struggling during the grapple while Goku laughs.
When encountering Super Saiyan (Berserk) Goku, Cooler became Golden Cooler. In the manga he was able to easily swat back Goku's blasts and quickly defeated Goku using his Golden Supernova - however, he failed to kill him, which he was aiming to do so, and reverts to final form due to his stamina loss. In the anime Golden Cooler is able to knock down Super Saiyan (Berserk) Goku with a single punch, freeing him from corruption, he fires a Golden Supernova at the restrained Cunber - which fails to do anything at all to the Evil Saiyan. Golden Cooler later attempts to blast Cunber with ki blasts to try and save Future Trunks from Cunber's death grip, which also have no effect. In the manga final form Cooler is easily defeated by restrained Cunber and has to be saved by Future Trunks.
In the manga, final form Cooler is quickly overwhelmed by the two Ghost Warriors: Bojack (in his base form) and Perfect Cell, as a result Cooler is forced to become Golden Cooler - at which point he easily takes down the two Ghost Warriors. Golden Cooler is able to easily kill the heavily injured King Cold with a single Death Beam. Golden Cooler is lightly injured by the end of his battle with the Ghost Warriors and is unable to stop himself from being teleported away by Ozotto.
In the anime, after being turned into Meta-Cooler by Fu Cooler becomes capable of defeating Lagss and holding his own against Super Saiyan 3 Cunber (who had already fought Dyspo and Toppo) - though at a disadvantage. After transforming into Golden Meta-Cooler, Cooler overwhelms Super Saiyan 3 Cunber and defeats him with a triple Golden Supernova - though it does not prove powerful enough to kill the fierce Saiyan.
- Statements by authors and guidebooks
Daizenshuu 6 notes that Cooler can stay in his true form without worry, while Frieza was unable to due to how his power was too strong to allow him to remain in his true form - to the point where he could not restrain it. Indicating that in his normal form Cooler does not have the intense uncontrollable power that his brother did.
Daizenshuu 7 states that with his final form, Cooler's power is greater than Frieza's.
In an interview with Akira Toriyama, he stated that among the Frieza Race only Frieza and Cold had such incredible levels of power. It was also stated by Naho Ooishi in an interview for Resurrection ‘F’ that even though the rest of Frieza's family are strong, Frieza's power has always been in a completely different league from them, and that Frieza alone is the only one who possesses this level of power.
It was stated by Takao Koyama, that when making Dragon Ball movies was that the next movie villain that Goku fought would always have to be at least stronger than the previous villain Goku fought. Thus, Cooler was stronger than Lord Slug but weaker than Meta-Cooler.
- Video Games
In the Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen version of the Cooler's Revenge storyline, Cooler is depicted as being far stronger than he was in his movie appearance. In his base form, he is able to fight against Super Saiyan Goku, and it is not until Super Saiyan Vegeta arrives to assist Goku that Cooler actually gets worried. After the two Super Saiyans defeat his base form, Cooler takes on his Final Form, however even this is not enough to defeat the combined might of two Super Saiyans.
In the Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans game Ghost Cooler and Ghost Frieza together are able to hold their own against the Z Fighters, but are ultimately defeated.
In the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series base Cooler's bio states that he has similar power to Frieza's regular final form.
In Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (which takes place two years after Buu's defeat), after getting stronger during his time in Hell, Cooler is able to hold his own against Super Saiyan Vegeta in base form and he is able to defeat Pikkon (wearing weighted clothing) - who was previously shown to be capable of easily defeating Cell - while using his final form.
In the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 character references, Cooler's base form is stated to have a power level similar to that of Frieza's final form, while his transformed state is said to raise his power massively. In the story mode of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3, Goku will say "Amazing... he's even stronger than Frieza!" in the pre-fight dialogue when fighting base form Cooler. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z also describes base Cooler as having power equivalent to Final Form Frieza, though this is inconsistent with what is shown in-game, as base Cooler only has a power level of 410, inferior to Final Form Frieza's power level of 430. Battle of Z also describes Cooler's Final Form as "stronger than Frieza"; however, when using Frieza to battle Cooler in the scenarios in the game that are based on Cooler's Revenge ("The Revenge of Cooler" and "True Final Form"), Frieza's power is said to have increased to the point of him being stronger than Cooler in both of his forms by the time of the events of movie.
During the Prison Planet Saga, final form Cooler battles base Future Trunks to see how strong he is but is defeated. As Golden Cooler, Cooler is able to fight the damaged Evil Saiyan and Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku alongside Future Trunks and Super Saiyan Blue Vegeta. Later, Golden Cooler and Super Saiyan God Goku fight base Cunber together but are overwhelmed and as such Goku: Xeno and Vegeta: Xeno have to take their place.
During the Universal Conflict Saga, Golden Meta-Cooler teams up with Goku, Jiren and Hit to battle Super Hearts and Super Saiyan 3 Cunber, managing to emerge as the victors.
- Flight – Like almost all Dragon Ball Z characters, Cooler is able to fly through use of his ki.
- Ki Blast – The most basic form of energy wave.
- Afterimage Technique – A move used in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Arc Blast – Cooler transforms into his final form and releases an Arc(tic) Blast, or a lot of sharp little blasts. It is his Ultimate K.O. in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2.
- Death Ball – A sphere of ki utilized by Cooler in video games.
- Supernova - A more powerful variant of the Death Ball used by Cooler in video games.
- Supernova Cooler – In his final form, Cooler has the ability to gather tons of ki in seconds to create the supernova. This is to be Cooler's trump card versus Goku, but his attack is blocked, and he is subsequently pushed by the force of it and Goku's Super Kamehameha into the Sun. Named in Xenoverse 2.
- Golden Supernova - Golden Cooler's super attack in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Supernova - A more powerful variant of the Death Ball used by Cooler in video games.
- Death Beam – Like most members of the Frieza Clan, Cooler can use the Death Beam as seen in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Death Laser – Cooler's version of the Death Beam, referred to as "Death Laser". He uses the attack against Piccolo in Cooler's Revenge. It was named in Battle of Z.
- Barrage Death Beam – Used as part of one of his rush attacks in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3.
- Darkness Eye Beam - The user shoots two thin purple energy rays from the eyes.
- Particle Bomb – An explosive energy sphere attack. Named in Battle of Z.
- Chaotic Dead End – A combination of the Death Laser and Particle Bomb attacks used on Piccolo.
- Death Chaser – In final form, Cooler punches the opponent in the stomach, followed by a knee and a back-punch, knocking the opponent to the ground. Then, Cooler kicks the opponent in the stomach. Used against Goku.
- Death Flash – An energy wave Cooler used in his base form after he injured Goku with the Eye Laser when he was aiming for Gohan. He used it to chase Goku after he fell in the river. Cooler also used it in his final form against Super Saiyan Goku, immediately before the Supernova, in Cooler's Revenge. In Budokai Tenkaichi 3, the move was called Full Power Energy Wave.
- Dignity of the Conqueror – Cooler rapid fires Ki Blasts at his opponent. Used in the Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game.
- Honor Redeemed – A special power up used by Cooler in Supersonic Warriors 2. If Frieza is defeated by the opponent, Cooler's anger at his brother's defeat causes his power to increase.
- Nova Chariot – A rush attack where Cooler is surrounded by a purple aura, very similar to Frieza's Nova Strike. Used by Cooler to fly through Goku's Kaio-ken Kamehameha unfazed. Named in Battle of Z. In Xenoverse 2, it appears as a Super Skill called Shadow Crusher and acts as a Ki Blast based counter move where Cooler performs the Frieza Stance as a taunt and if hit by a ki blast or ki blast Super he will charge through it and attack.
- Fatal Combination – A 3-hit combo rush attack used in his Final form. Named in Raging Blast 2.
- Freeze Storm – A combo move used in Supersonic Warriors 2 where Cooler and Mecha Frieza create a blizzard and fire it at the opponent.
- Instant Transmission – As seen in Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai (and possibly its sequel), Cooler can use the Instant Transmission. It can be assumed Cooler learned this technique while being in Hell after his defeat by Goku. However, considering it can be used by Meta-Cooler, it is possible he knew the technique before he became one with the Big Gete Star.
- Sonic Warp - A variation of Rapid Movement in which the user moves so fast they appear as if they have teleported. Used in Xenoverse 2 as part of the Psychic Move Evasive Skill.
- Psychic Move - Frieza's Evasive Skill used by a non-playable versions of Cooler & Metal Cooler in Xenoverse 2. The user circles behind the opponent with Sonic Warp and attacks them with a razor sharp ki slash shockwave.
- Psycho Barrier – A technique used in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Regeneration – Ghost Cooler can regenerate using Destron Gas, and also in his playable appearance in Dragon Ball Heroes.
- Death Wave - Cooler releases a C-shaped wave of energy. Originally used by Frieza, but since Cooler is an alternate outfit for him in Dragon Ball Z 2 V, he has access to the move as well. In Dragon Ball Fusions, it appears under then name Earth Breaker and is one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - A stronger version of Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- S Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - An even stronger version of Earth Breaker that is stronger than Hi-Speed Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves. Can be learned by Cooler after reaching Lv. 63.
- Hi-Speed Earth Breaker - A stronger version of Earth Breaker that appears as one of Cooler's Special Moves.
- Sauzer Blade – A powerful blade of pure ki which Cooler uses to cut his opponents in Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World. This technique was originally used by Salza in Cooler's Revenge.
- Telekinesis – Cooler can lift or move large objects through the air with his mind. Also used in the Gokuden series, and in Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Budokai Tenkaichi 3 under the name Psychokinesis.
- Like his younger brother Frieza, Cooler is able to survive even the most horrific injury, even decapitation and incineration. He can also survive in space.
- Double Attack Full-Throttle Power – A special ability used by base Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. Cooler's attack doubles and he attacks with a partner who also powers up.
- Blow of the Whole Body – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. A powerful physical blow.
- Eyes of Fear – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. When Cooler attacks the enemy, their ki is downed.
- Super Spirit Sphere of Destruction – A special ability used by final form Cooler in Dragon Ball Heroes. Cooler goes into sparking mode and his attacks increase in power.
- Sledgehammer - One of Cooler's Super Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Full Power Charge - A technique used to charge ki. One of Cooler's Super Skills in Xenoverse 2.
- Charged Ki Wave - A technique used to convert ki into stamina. One of Cooler's Super Skills in his Super Evolution form in Xenoverse 2.
- Fake Blast - A technique in which he fires a weak ki blast that temporarly blinds the opponent originally used in the film Cooler's Revenge against Super Saiyan Goku in his Final Form which was named in Xenoverse 2 where it appears as his Evasive Skill.
- Full Power Energy Wave - One of Cooler's Ultimate Skills in Xenoverse 2. Use by Cooler in both his fourth and his Super Evolution form.
- Telekinesis - The ability to manipulate objects with one's mind.
- Death Meteor - Metal Cooler hurls stones like meteorites at his enemy with telekinesis. An Ultimate Skill used by Supervillain Metal Cooler when he is fought in Expert Mission 07: "The Big Gete Star Strikes Back" in Xenoverse 2. After the 1.09.00 Update, this skill can be added to Final Form Cooler's custom skillset after being purchased for 15 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Kiai - A shockwave released from some part of the users body.
- Shockwave - A weal kiai released from the user's palm which can make enemies stagger. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, this Super Skill can be added to his custom skillset via Partner Customization.
- Ki Blast Cannon - A strong kiai capable of launch opponents slowly forward making it ideal for follow up attacks. After the 1.09.00 Update in Xenoverse 2, this Super Skill can be added to his custom skillset after being purchased for 5 TP Medals in Partner Customization.
- Monster Throw - A piledriver technique originally used by Zarbon. One of Cooler's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Taunt - Cooler taunts a single opponent in order to enrage them. One of Cooler's Special Moves in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Attack Genius - Deal 10% more damage. One of Cooler's passive Skills in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Royalty - Lower enemy level = stat boost. One of Cooler's passive Skills in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Fusion - Cooler can use different types of fusion in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- EX-Fusion - By wearing a Metamo-Ring and performing the Fusion Dance, Cooler can fuse with his brother to create Coolieza.
- Five-Way Fusion - A fusion technique developed by the Ginyu Force which allows five people to fuse to create a powerful Ultra Fusion. Can be used by Cooler after becoming a member of Tekka's Team in Dragon Ball Fusions.
- Lower Forms
Main article: Transforming Ability
It is stated in the fifth film that Cooler possesses lower forms just like his brother Frieza does. The 2008 Dragon Ball Collectible Card Game has Cooler in his third form (identical to his fourth form) and that his super evolved final form is his fourth form, while he says he is in his third transformed state and found a fourth beyond it in the movie. This shows that Cooler has at least two lower forms. Xenoverse 2 states that Cooler's base form is his fourth form, showing that he has three unseen lower forms.
It is stated in an issue of Weekly Shonen Jump that Cooler does not need to use lower forms like Frieza's first three forms because Cooler can fully control his power in his true form. Daizenshuu 6 notes that Cooler is able to stay in his true form without worry due to his power being much less than Frieza's in his true form.
- Fourth Form
This is Cooler's equivalent to Frieza's final form; in comparison, he is taller and has the same color scheme, albeit with more purple than white. He has red stripes under his eyes, and does not have a middle colored spot on his chest like Frieza. He also sports a shiny blue spot on his skull. Unlike his brother (prior to his revival), Cooler is able to stay in it indefinitely because he does not possess overwhelming power on the level of Frieza's, and so does not need to suppress it with lower forms. In this form Cooler is able to fight on par with base Goku.
This form is referred to as Cooler's 3rd form in the Collectible Card Game, while it is named his Fourth Form in Xenoverse 2.
- Fourth Transformation
This form is Cooler's most powerful while he has a full organic body. This state is usually referred to as Final Form Cooler. He gets taller, and four horns grow out of his head and form a crown. His deltoid covers evolve into shoulder bows, and two small spikes grow from his forearm covers. He gets blue spots on his legs and arms and his tail gets a white spike; the blue spot in his initial form has now become a full oval on his crown. His face is masked by a visor that covers all except his new pupil-less red eyes, sometimes casting a shadow on it. Unlike most of Frieza's transformations which suppress his power (or release it depending on which form he transforms to), this transformation augments it. It is implied that Cooler had only recently achieved this form, as he states that Goku is the first to witness this form and is able to outmatch him, even when he uses a Kaio-ken powered Kamehameha. However, he is defeated by Goku after he transforms into a Super Saiyan. Like with the prior transformations, Cooler's voice also changes when assuming this form, becoming deeper and a lot more menacing. This form increases Cooler's offensive and defensive capabilities, and it is noted by Goku that upon taking on this form, Cooler's ki becomes even greater than Frieza's. By the events of Dragon Ball Heroes, Cooler appears to have mastered this form completely, able to maintain it for as long as he desires with no adverse affects. Even when exhausted from battling while dropping out of his Golden Fifth Form, Cooler was still in his regular Fifth Form.
It is said to be his 4th form in the Collectible Card Game. It is called Cooler (Final Form) in Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
- Golden Cooler
Main article: Golden Frieza
Cooler achieves the "Golden Frieza" form during the Prison Planet Saga, becoming Golden Cooler. Prior to attaining the form Cooler held the belief that since Frieza was able to do it, he too should be able to. When confronting Super Saiyan: Berserk Goku, Cooler pushes himself to achieve this form and succeeds. In this form Cooler appears similar to his Fourth Transformation but with the same coloration as Frieza's Golden Frieza state. In the manga, Cooler is only able to use this form for a very short period of time, just long enough to use a single Golden Supernova before he reverts to his final form.
Cooler is playable in this state in Super Dragon Ball Heroes, introduced in the second mission of the Universe Mission series (UVM2).
- Meta-Cooler (Fu modification)
After attempting to chase Fu, he is captured by the Demon and modified into Meta-Cooler (メタルクウラ Metaru Kūra) through the Big Gete Star. This form greatly augments his previous level of power and likewise grants him immense durability against enemy attacks. However his newfound power comes at the cost at him being under the control of Fu.
- Golden Meta-Cooler
As Meta-Cooler, Cooler can take on the "Golden Frieza" form, becoming Golden Meta-Cooler. Golden Meta-Cooler is very powerful - able to outmatch Super Saiyan 3 Cunber in the anime - but cannot fight for long without overheating.
- Metal Cooler transformation
In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World, Meta-Cooler (メタルクウラ Metaru Kūra) appears as an in-game transformation for Cooler (instead of being featured as completely mechanical clone of him) via Cooler's Spaceship. Cooler is given this form by being taken up onto his ship and "repaired" in the same way that Frieza becomes Mecha Frieza.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, after training in his fifth form in the Frieza's spaceship missions, Cooler becomes capable of taking on a Metal Cooler form as a transformation higher than his fifth form.
- Meta-Cooler Core
Main article: Meta-Cooler Core
Meta-Cooler Core, also known as Metal Cooler's core or Metal Cooler (nucleus), is what the remains of Cooler's organic body becomes after fusing with the Big Gete Star. As his previous defeat at Goku's hands had reduced him to a brain, his right eye, and the upper right half of his face, the Big Gete Star formed an approximation of the rest of his head with metal and wires. Connected to the Big Gete Star by a mass of cables, Cooler has total control over the metallic star's functions and drones (including its Cyclopian Guards and the Meta-Coolers), and he can form a hulking humanoid body from materials inside his "control room" (his Battle Form). This Battle Form boasts high attack power, and is capable of fighting on par Super Saiyan Goku. However, when the Big Gete Star is overloaded with energy Meta-Cooler Core's defence drops dramatically and he is easily dispatched with a single charged ki blast as well as left critically wounded by an Energy Disc cutting off his arm.
While in his standard core form, the Meta-Cooler Core when speaking is not shown moving his mouth, implying that Meta-Cooler Core was utilizing Telepathy. However, when assuming his battle form, his mouth is seen moving when he speaks.
According to the AB Groupe dub, Meta-Cooler Core is made out of silicon.
Even though Meta-Cooler Core's body was closer in appearance to his fourth form, his voice in this form was closer to that of his fourth transformation.
Main article: Coolieza
Coolieza strongly resembles Frieza in the Fourth Transformation and wears a single Metamo-Ring on his left arm.
- Ultra Fusion
Main article: Ultra Fusion As a member of Tekka's Team, Cooler can perform Five-Way Fusion with any four members of the team to create an Ultra Fusion. If initiated by Cooler himself the resulting Ultra Fusion will be a male alien.
Video Game Appearances
- Dragon Ball Z III: Ressen Jinzōningen
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku
- Dragon Ball Z Gaiden: Shin Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku - Chikyū-Hen
- Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II
- Dragon Ball Z 2 V
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2
- Data Carddass Dragon Ball Z 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
- Dragon Ball Z: Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3
- Dragon Ball Z: W Bakuretsu Impact
- Dragon Ball Z: Infinite World
- Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Battlers
- Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2
- Dragon Ball Heroes
- Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle
- Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
- Dragon Ball Z: Budokai HD Collection
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission
- Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
- Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2
- Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butōden
- Dragon Ball Z: Dokkan Battle
- Dragon Ball Fusions
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2
- Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Dragon Ball Legends
In Saiyajin Zetsumetsu Keikaku, in addition to the Ghost Warrior version of Cooler who appears as a boss, dark-red version called Soul Cooler (クウラソウル) appears as a regular enemy. Soul Cooler's body armor is a light pink/white color, his body is a dark green/red, and the gem on his head is red.
In Dragon Ball Z 2 V (a special edition of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2), Cooler appears as a playable character as an alternate costume for Frieza.
While Cooler doesn't appear in Dragon Ball Xenoverse, there are several customization options for the Frieza Race based on Cooler such as his Super Evolution's head design and mouth guard. Via customization, it is possible to customize a Frieza Race Future Warrior to resemble Cooler's Final or Super forms. Cooler is also mentioned by Frieza if the Future Warrior talks to him while wearing the Battle Armor of Cooler's Armored Squadron.
In FighterZ, Final Form Cooler appears as one of the two fourth DLC characters.
- Japanese: Ryūsei Nakao
- Latin American Spanish dub: Ricardo Brust
- German dub: Peter Flechtner
- French dub: Frederic Bouraly (movie 5), Georges Lycan (movie 6)
- Italian dub: Maurizio Reti (movie 5, 6 Dynamic dub), Claudio Moneta (movie 5, 6 Mediaset dub)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Carlos Companile
- Greek dub: Tzimis Apergis
- Hebrew dub: Yoram Yosephberg
- Cooler (Fourth Form) vs. Goku
- Cooler (Fourth Form) vs. Piccolo
- Cooler (Fourth Form/Fourth Transformation) vs. Goku (Base/Super Saiyan)
- Super Dragon Ball Heroes
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation/Golden Frieza) vs. Goku (Super Saiyan: Berserk)
- Cooler (Golden Frieza) vs. Cunber (Evil Saiyan)
- Cooler (Golden Frieza) and Future Trunks (Super Saiyan/Base) vs. Cunber (Evil Saiyan)
- Cooler (Golden Frieza) vs. Cunber (Golden Great Ape)
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation) and Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Bojack
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation/Golden Frieza) and Future Trunks vs. Goku (Super Saiyan: Berserk)
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation) vs. Cunber (Evil Saiyan)
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation/Golden Frieza) vs. Bojack and Cell (Perfect Form)
- Cooler (Golden Frieza) vs. King Cold
- Cooler (Fourth Transformation/Golden Frieza) and Future Trunks (Super Saiyan) vs. Turles (Ghost Warrior), Lord Slug (Ghost Warrior), Bojack (Ghost Warrior), Cell (Perfect Form/Ghost Warrior) and Kid Buu (Ghost Warrior)
List of characters killed by Cooler
- Bojack - Killed by Cooler with a sneak attack Death Beam on the Prison Planet. (Manga only)
- King Cold - Killed by Cooler with a Death Beam on the Prison Planet. (Manga only)
- While the name appears to come from the word "Cooler" to follow the Frieza Race's cold naming scheme, Cooler's name actually comes from the phrase “meshi demo kūra” (which is roughly the equivalent to "let's chow down" in English). Originally, both Cooler's and Frieza's Japanese names end in a short "a" vowel, ("Freeza" and "Coola") but many English translations had dropped the "a" and added an "er" at the end due to many of the kana spellings on English words ("Freezer"). However officially, both Frieza and Cooler's original names typically are spelled with an "a" at the end (as opposed to the "Freezer" spelling). Logic would follow that the character's name should, in turn, be spelled in a similar fashion, (as opposed to "Cooler") but this was not the case. Funimation, the company responsible for Dragon Ball's production and distribution in North America and Australia, choose to spell the name as Cooler, despite spelling "Freeza" closer to the original as "Frieza".
- In Dragon Ball Super, Frieza is familiar with Instant Transmission and implies he had past experience fighting people who used it, potentially referencing Cooler.
- Cooler, Garlic Jr., Icarus, and Gogeta are the only movie characters who appear in the anime. Cooler and Broly are also the only movie villains to appear in more than one film as the main antagonist.
- Cooler did not appear in Dragon Ball Z: Fusion Reborn, but he did appear on the movie's cover.
- In some versions of the FUNimation remastered DVD releases, Cooler's voice in his base form is deeper and has more of a slight echo in his fifth form.
- In Xenoverse 2, unlike Lord Slug and Turles who are revealed to originate from alternate timelines where their films take place, Cooler's timeline of origin is never specified, however, an incarnation of Cooler exists in the main timeline as Frieza recognizes his brother when he appears on Planet Namek after being transported there by Towa.
- In at least the dub version, Cooler is the second movie villain to at least consider blowing up the sun as part of his plans, the first being Lucifer.
- Similarly to the third form of his brother, who was inspired by the Xenomorph, even the final form of Cooler is inspired by a famous alien species of cinema: in his case, the Predator.
Main article: Cooler/Gallery
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Dragon Ball Fusions, 2016
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Daizenshuu 6, 1995
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai, 2006
- ↑ Daizenshuu 7, 1996
- ↑ SDBH Ep11 preview
- ↑ If Cooler is allied with during the missions on Frieza's spaceship, he will transform into Metal Cooler after training.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi, 2011
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, 2014
- ↑ Dragon Ball Heroes, 2010
- ↑ Dragon Ball Z Movie 05. Kanzenshuu.
- ↑ Daizenshuu 6, 1995