Caterpy is a fighter from the South Quadrant of the universe. Caterpy is actually not very strong and he tries to get Goku to give up by tickling him to everyone's exasperation (Olibu remarks "South Quadrant must be a very peaceful place"). After Goku hits him, he further displays his weakness by whining about it. Caterpy then attempts to go into his pupa state. As South Kai explains to Goku and the crowd, Caterpy would morph into his ultimate form upon hatching. However, the cocoon would take 1,200 years to hatch, so Grand Kai declares Goku the winner by default.
- Eye Flash – Caterpy releases a bright flash of light.
- Mystic Attack – Caterpy has the ability to extend his arms.
- Chico Torture – Caterpy catches his opponent with his multiple arms and tickles him or her.
- Metamorphosis – Caterpy encasts himself into a cocoon to morph into his ultimate form.
Video game appearances
Caterpy appears in Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury.
In Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, the enemies called Tumble Bug, Fire Caterpillar, and Caterpillar are modeled after him.
- The Pokémon's name Caterpie is similar to that of Caterpy. The episode where Caterpy appears first aired two years before Pokémon was created ("Tournament Begins" aired on August 11, 1993, while the first Pokémon games were released on February 27, 1996).
- Caterpy is due to hatch in Age 1967 and, as such, it is the last known event to take place in the Dragon Ball timeline.