The user focuses their power into a barrier with double their normal defensive capabilities, allowing them to withstand attacks from an opponent of equal power or below.
Cell obtained the ability to use Android Barrier from absorbing Android 17 and used it in order to completely absorb Android 18 without interference. Cell uses an even stronger barrier version (the largest of all barrier techniques), called the Perfect Barrier, during the Cell Games.
During the Tournament of Power Android 17 displays several ways of using the barrier for more than just defensive purposes. Against Kakunsa, he is able to trap her on it as he spins the barrier rapidly to send her flying. He later creates a small Android Barrier and traps Damom inside it, then kicks it away like a football. One maneuver involves creating a small sized Android Barrier around his fist to increase drastically the power of his punches; he used this Android Barrier-enhanced punch to damage Agnilasa's energy reactor. He can also bestow this barrier to others when far away as he shows during his final moments to protect Goku and Vegeta as well as create lense-shaped barrier walls.
However, the barrier does have limits as to how much damage it can take. The barrier can block damage, but it cannot fully block any kinetic energy from an attack. This was the case in Android 17's fight against Agnilasa, as the Android was using his barrier to defend himself from energy attacks, but was still slowly being pushed back towards the edge of the arena. He uses the barrier against God of Destruction Top but it was quickly shattered. Jiren later effortlessly shattered all the barriers Android 17 erected with his bare hands. Later, when 17 made his final stand and gave everything he had to block Jiren's Power Impact his barriers where able to hold up for a short while forcing Jiren to exert some effort to break them.
17 used an energy attack while having enacted the barrier around himself and Jiren for a contained explosion. 17 with the help of Frieza used one last barrier against Jiren's reawakened full power. The extra energy Frieza was supplying the barrier was not enough as it cracked, and Frieza's golden form dissipated. Base Goku appeared and helped supply even more energy. 17, Goku, and Final Form Frieza managed to push back against Jiren's full power wave of power with one final push and both the barrier and Jiren's attack dissipate.
In Dragon Ball GT, Super 17 retains his original barrier, but it also seems to gains the ability to absorb ki-based attacks (the barrier is invisible during this process), this is called the Absorption Barrier.
- Perfect Barrier - An energy shield similar to the Super Explosive Wave.
- Rough Ranger - A counterattack variation of Energy Field where the user puts up a barrier if the user is hit with a Ki-based attack.
- Absorption Barrier - An energy shield with the ability to absorb ki-based attacks.
- Pinpoint Energy Shield - An energy shield charged around the user's hands and used offensively.
- Barrier Punch - Android 17 forms a small barrier around his fist to increase the power of his punches.
- Imprisonment Ball - Android 17 can form a barrier around other individuals. It can be used to trap his opponents or to protect his allies.
- Barrier of Hope - Android 17 can form a multiple layer barrier to increase his defenses. Then, as an alternative to his removed Android bomb, Android 17 can make his barrier explode.
- Grand Explode - Android 17 can form a barrier around an opponent while preparing a ki blast and trap them inside the explosion.
- Barrier Sphere - Android 21's Android Barrier variation that she can absorb from other Android via her Connoisseur Cut.
Video Game Appearance
In the Budokai series and Super Dragon Ball Z, the barrier is called Energy Field (エネルギーフィールド Enerugī Fīrudo), and is used by both Android 17, Android 18, and Cell (in his second and later transformations).
In the Budokai series, both Android 17 and Android 18 have it as an offensive move that expands outward to attack the opponent. In Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2, Super Buu can use the Energy Field after absorbing Perfect Cell.
When used by Android 18 in the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series it is pink in color. Super Android 13 is also able to use an Android Barrier in these game, his is red in color, the same as his ki attacks.
In the Supersonic Warriors series, Android 17 performs the technique whenever he is summoned, and Android 18 and Android 20 can use it for defense under the generic name of Ki Shield as part of the game's mechanics. In Dr. Gero's Story in Dragon Ball Z: Supersonic Warriors 2, Dr. Gero develops the Absorption Barrier for himself after forcing the Androids to submit to him using power he absorbed from Gohan. He later tests it during a battle with Future Trunks where it acts as Dr. Gero's Special Ability that allows him to absorb enemy blasts and convert them into Energy while moving.
In Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit, Android 17 and Android 18 can charge an energy shield in their hands and use it offensively; this is called Pinpoint Energy Shield.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse, Android 17's version is called Energy Field while Cell's is called Energy Barrier. Despite not being an Android, the Future Warrior can learn and/or obtain both of these techniques in Xenoverse.
In Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, both Energy Field and Energy Barrier return as Evasive Skills. Energy Field appears as an Evasive Skill for Android 16/Future Android 16, Android 17/Future Android 17/Hell Fighter 17/Android 17 (DB Super), and Android 18. The Future Warrior can randomly obtain Energy Field in Parallel Quest 29: "The Androids Attack". Energy Barrier appears as an Evasive Skill for Cell (Perfect), Cell (Full Power), Cell (Full Power)•Supervillain, Mira, and Mira (Final Form). The Future Warrior can randomly obtain Energy Barrier by defeating Cell in Parallel Quest 32: "Multiple Cell Jr. Hunt" during an Ultimate Finish (which triggers by clearing the quest in under 5 minutes).
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 18 can summon her brother to use his Android Barrier. Additionally Android 21, Android 21 (Good), and Android 21 (Evil) can absorb the Barrier Sphere via performing her Connoisseur Cut Special Attack on Android characters (Android 16, Android 17 (DBS), Android 18, Android 21, & Cell).
- Android 17 using his barrier around his fist is heavily similar to the Bari-Bari no Pistol used by Bartolomeo from the One Piece series.
- Interestingly, the barriers produced by Android 17 and Bartolomeo within their respective series are usually depicted as green.