"If I have to be bad I want to be blowed up."
Android 8 (人造人間８号 Jinzōningen Hachi-Gō, "Artificial Human No. Eight"), who goes by the name Eighter (ハッチャン Hacchan) as suggested by Goku, is Dr. Gero's eighth Android creation. He is designed to serve the Red Ribbon Army but is seen as faulty because of his good-spirited nature.
Android 8 is a android that takes on the form of a large, stocky man resembling Frankenstein's monster - whom he is presumably based off, with short dark blue hair, a large cylindrical cranium, thick brows, no visible eyebrows, large oval eyes with small pupils, a wide nose, a large jaw, and two stitched scars: one across his forehead, and the other on his left cheek. In Dragon Ball he wears a pale blue sweater underneath a navy blue suit, white socks and black loafers. In Dragon Ball Z, he wears a a green and yellow fur jacket over his suit. In Dragon Ball GT and The Path to Power he wears an orange sweater underneath a teal suit, which in turn is worn under a sheepskin waistcoat. Underneath his clothes, he wears a pair of blue boxer shorts.
Despite his brutish, menacing appearance, Android 8 is actually a kind, good-natured, placid, docile and peaceful individual who detests violence, refusing to follow the cruel orders of Ninja Murasaki and General White, which leads to them berating him as a "failure". However, despite his pacifistic nature, Android 8 would fight when angered, as seen when he punched General White out of the Muscle Tower after he had shot Goku.
In Attack of the Saiyans, Android 8 is temporarily brainwashed by General White which alters his personality turning him into a mindless brute that follows White's orders to the point of even attacking his old friend Goku and the Dragon Team alongside General White though he defeated which frees him of White's control causing him to revert back to his original personality.
Android 8 is the eighth of the Red Ribbon Androids created by Dr. Gero. In anime filler, since Gero had not yet been created as a character by the author it is said that Android 8 was created by Dr. Flappe, though after Dr. Gero's creation, various source materials have suggested that Dr. Flappe and Dr. Gero were colleagues both involved with Android 8's construction. Android 8 was an entirely artificial construct, though according to some sources he is a human-based model (like 17 and 18), more specifically created from a dead body.
Red Ribbon Army Saga
Main article: Red Ribbon Army Saga
"It's your turn to suffer!"
Being released from his cell, Android 8 is introduced by Ninja Murasaki, who intends to use him against Goku, after he and his brothers failed to defeat the much stronger Goku. However, 8 refuses to battle the child. When Murasaki threatens to detonate 8 via a remote control, Goku knocks the trigger out of his hand and knocks out Ninja Murasaki. Goku nicknames Android 8 "Eighter" (Hat-chan), and he becomes Goku's friend. When General White threatens the android with an ultimatum: kill Goku or the Jingle Village Chief will be shot, Goku decides to stop the torment by turning his back so that White may shoot him unopposed, and White shoots Goku, seemingly killing him. After witnessing his first friend get hurt, an enraged Android 8 punches White clean out of Muscle Tower's uppermost window. Afterward, Android 8 proceeds to destroy Muscle Tower, putting an end to at least part of the evil Red Ribbon Army. After eliminating the Army contingent in Jingle Village, 8 reveals that he discovered the Dragon Ball that the army was looking for and hid it, knowing that they intended to kill the villagers once it was found. Hearing this, the head of the village invites 8 to live among them, which he accepts.
Before Goku leaves the village, Goku, Android 8, and Suno set out to remove the Android Bomb implants in Android 8's chest. Suno informs Goku that they should visit Dr. Flappe, an expert in machines. After a brief confrontation with Ninja Murasaki, Dr. Flappe successfully removes the bomb.
King Piccolo Saga
Main article: King Piccolo Saga Android 8 is seen again when he goes to rescue Suno after she falls victim to King Piccolo's assault on King Castle. Android 8's appearance in "Lost and Found" was his last appearance in the Dragon Ball anime.
Dragon Ball Z
Majin Buu Saga
Main article: Kid Buu Saga
Android 8 makes cameo appearances throughout Dragon Ball Z, the most prominent being during the Kid Buu Saga, when Goku is forming a Spirit Bomb and 8, along with his fellow villagers, supplies Goku with his energy to use against Kid Buu. The fact that he is alive at this time proves that completely artificial life can be revived by the Dragon Balls, as he appears to have been revived along with Earth's inhabitants after the planet's destruction by Buu.
Dragon Ball GT
Main article: Baby Saga
The Path to Power
Main article: Dragon Ball: The Path to Power
Android 8 appears in the film Dragon Ball: The Path to Power, which is a retelling of the early Dragon Ball story altered for theatrical purposes. Android 8 is first seen in Muscle Tower under the control of General White, who orders Android 8 to attack Goku, to which he does. Later, however, Android 8 comes to his emotional feelings and does not want to attack the boy, thus, General White deems Android 8 "a failure", and a waste of the millions of dollars spent on designing him. Goku manages to defeat General White with his Power Pole, saving Android 8's life before White can blow him up with his self-destruct device. Android 8 and Goku later play in the snow, where Goku names Android 8 "Eighter", delighting the latter. When Goku offers Eighter the chance to join him and his friends on their quest for the Dragon Balls, Eighter decides instead to stay behind and report the RRA members near the tower to the police. One major plot change is that Android 8 is later destroyed by the newly titled Commander Black of the "Black Ribbon Army" at the Red Ribbon Army Headquarters, which causes Goku to snap and push himself into a severely powered up state, allowing him to destroy the giant Battle Jacket that Black is inside, which ultimately kills Black.
After Commander Black is defeated, Goku uses the Dragon Balls to wish Android 8 back to life with the bomb inside of him removed.
Battle of Gods
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods Android 8 appears in the prologue when the narrator recaps the adventures and rigorous battles fought by Goku and his friends along with their journey to collect the 7 Dragon Balls to make a wish to Shenron whenever they needed them.
Other Dragon Ball Stories
Attack of the Saiyans
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans In Attack of the Saiyans, Eighter finds one of the Dragon Balls near Penguin Village. Unfortunately, General White survived Android 8's punch and returns to the ruins of Muscle Tower with other Red Ribbon Army members who survived the army's defeat. They manage to capture Android 8 who is brainwashed to serve the Red Ribbon Army.
However thankfully, Goku had been temporarily revived by Fortuneteller Baba to assist the Dragon Team in collecting the Dragon Balls to revive him to confront the Saiyans. The Dragon Radar leads them to Muscle Tower, where Goku reunites with Suno who informs him of what happened to Eighter and he resolves to save his friend and stop the Red Ribbon Army's plans once more. General White orders Android 8 to fight the Dragon Team alongside him in an attempt to take revenge on Goku. However neither is a match for Goku and his friends who have been training to confront the Saiyans.
Defeated, Android 8 is freed and reverts to his original personality. After giving the Dragon Ball to Goku and his friends, Eighter returns with Suno to continue his peaceful life in Jingle Village.
Main article: Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
- Saiyan Saga
In Kakarot, Android 8 appears in the East Ravine Area during the Saiyan Saga Episode 2 when Goku and Piccolo travel to the region while following the Dragon Radar to find his brother Raditz who had abducted his nephew Gohan to force Goku to exterminate the Earthling population.
If Goku speaks to him, this leads to the Sub Story "Gentle Giant". The introduction cutscene that triggers when Goku speaks to him, his in-game moniker is Kindhearted Android and he is identified by his nickname Eighter.
- Sub Story Gentle Giant
Goku is surprised to see his old friend who recongizes the now adult Goku. Goku asks what he's doing in East Ravine and Eighter explains that he heard that some of the Red Ribbon Army's RR Mech Soldiers had been rampaging in the region and came to stop them. However he notes he dislikes fighting and so Goku who loves to fight offers to take care of the Rampagimg Robots for his old friend which Eighter agrees to.
After destroying the robots, Goku returns and informs Android 8 who is relieved that the robots can no longer hurt anyone. Completing this Sub Story, rewards Goku with Eighter's Soul Emblem for the Community Boards.
Additionally afterwards, Eighter can be encountered in certain areas during different points in the story.
- Intermission 1
During the first Intermission after the Saiyan Saga, Android 8 can be found visiting the farm near the lake Fish Spot in the West Area of Earth where Gingertown and West City are located.
- Frieza Saga & Intermission 2
During the Frieza Saga Episode 1 and second Intermission after the Frieza Saga, Android 8 can be found near on a stone land bridge near the dinosaur research facility in East Ravine Area. If spoken to, he reveals he's taking pictures of various locations he is visiting to show to Suno after he returns to Jingle Village.
Due to Android 8's hatred of fighting, the true extent of his power is unknown. However, even after seeing Goku defeat Major Metallitron, an android who previously gave Goku a hard time, Sergeant-Major Purple is still confident that Goku would stand no chance against Android 8. He is durable enough to take a blast from General White's Powered Gun with no visible effect, which had previously knocked over Goku. When he becomes angered at General White, later on, he punches him with enough force to send him over the mountains, a punch Goku says is even stronger than his own.
- Self Destruct Device: Android 8 can kill himself to create a huge energy wave.
- Hikou: Android 8 can fly with great speed as seen in The Path to Power. Being an Android he lacks ki to use Flight and is instead outfitted with a special device that allows him to fly.
- Android Bomb: Like most Androids, Android 8 had a bomb implanted in his chest, giving him the ability to self-destruct. He lost this ability after the bomb was removed by Dr. Flappe. In the video game, Dragon Ball: Origins 2 the bomb is removed by Senbei Norimaki.
- Eighter's Anger: Android 8 releases a massive fiery wave of energy similar to Super Explosive Wave. This attack is named and only seen in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. This is most likely inspired by Android 8's self-destruction ability before the bomb he had was removed by Dr. Flappe.
- Eighter Attack: Android 8 zooms through the air out into the distance with his arm out and flies into the opponent.
- You Hurt Goku!: Android 8's ultimate attack in Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Android 8 attacks the opponent with a punch that sends his opponent reeling. He then repeatedly uses chop and punch-like attacks to beat the opponent further backward, finishing them off with a massive punch that sends them flying across the stage. This move was likely inspired by the punch he used to defeat General White.
- Risking it all for a friend: A technique where the user uses their own body to shield an ally. Used by Android 8 in the manga to shield unconscious Goku from being shot by General White. Thanks to his resilient Android body, Android 8 is unaffected by the shot which hits him in the leg.
- False Courage: A supportive technique that raises the user's defense capacity by faking bravery through ignorant fearlessness. One of Android 8's Blast 1 techniques in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
- Howl: Android 8 howls loudly, which magnifies his power, putting them straight into Max Power mode and increasing their physical attributes. However, once the power wears out, the Android 8 will have a hard time gaining back their ki, making them take a much longer amount of time to be able to use ki-based attacks. One of Android 8's Blast 1 techniques in Budokai Tenkaichi 3.
In Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, General White captures Android 8 whom he brainwashes to serve the resurgent Red Ribbon Army. In this form, Eighter's pupils disappear and he becomes a mindless brute that follows General White's orders. However after the Dragon Team defeats both Eighter and General White, he is freed from White's control and reverts back to his true gentle-hearted self.
Video Game Appearances
Android 8 appears in Dragon Ball: Daimaō Fukkatsu, Dragon Ball 3: Gokuden, Dragon Ball Z: Super Gokuden: Totsugeki-Hen, Dragon Ball RPG: Shōnen-hen, and in cutscenes in Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo.
He makes his first playable appearance in a video game in Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Despite being able to fly in The Path to Power and having several moves from this film in the game, Android 8 cannot fly well in Budokai Tenkaichi 3. In an alternate saga, Android 8 protects Goku from Android 16 who was sent to the past by Dr. Gero to assassinate Goku so he wouldn't destroy the Red Ribbon Army. Although Android 8 manages to defeat Android 16, he spares Android 16 under Goku's request, partially because he wants to fight him again.
Android 8 is also a playable character in Dragon Ball: Origins 2. After General White's defeat in the bonus level 2-5, he attacks a Yeti Suno had befriended, thinking it had kidnapped Suno. In bonus level 2-6, Android 8 repairs the Red Ribbon Robot Suno found, after Goku had found the robot's five missing parts in the snow. In the bonus level 2-7, Android 8 confronts Ninja Murasaki and his brothers in the Muscle Tower to make him stop the bad jokes Murasaki began to make to the population of Jingle Village after General White's defeat. Android 8 decides to remove the bomb implanted in his chest in bonus level 4-5 and visits Senbei Norimaki in Penguin Village. It is revealed in bonus level 2-8 that while Android 8 was at Penguin Village, Major Metallitron took control of the Muscle Tower after his batteries reloaded and ordered the Muscle Tower soldiers to steal Jingle Village's supplies. Android 8 then goes to the Muscle Tower and beats Major Metallitron.
In Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans, Android 8 gets captured and brainwashed to be evil in the Muscle Tower by General White. Fortunately, while searching for the Dragon Balls with the other Z-Fighters, Goku (revived by Fortuneteller Baba to assist his friends in finding the Dragon Balls to wish him back in time to face the Saiyans) meets Suno in front of Muscle Tower and she informs him of Eighter's capture. Wanting to free his old friend, Goku along with his allies journey into Muscle Tower to free Eighter and stop General White's plans to revive the Red Ribbon Army, though is forced to face both White and the brainwashed Eighter. After White is defeated, Android 8 returns to his good-natured self and is happy to see his old friend Goku. Android 8 then returns to Jingle Village along with Suno.
Though he does not appear in Dragon Ball Xenoverse he is mentioned by Goku when the Future Warrior talks to him (while he is the Warrior's current Master) wearing the Murasaki-style Ninja Suit (part of the GT Pack 1 DLC), as the suit will remind Goku of Ninja Murasaki and Goku will mention Eighter helping him defeat Murasaki and this causes him to wonder how his friend is doing.
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, he is referenced, as Android 16's fighter and player avatar color 2 share Android 8's color scheme. Adding onto this further, Android 16's Halloween avatar is a direct reference to him, sharing the same exact clothing, facial scars, keeping with the Frankenstein motif.
Android 8 appears as a non playable character in Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot.
- Japanese: Shōzō Iizuka
- Latin American Spanish dub: Ricardo Hill (DB), Arturo Mercado (DBZ)
- Portuguese dub: António Semedo(†)
- Brazilian Portuguese dub: Fábio Moura (DB old dub), Antônio Moreno (DB redub; 1st voice), Carlos Campanile (DB redub; 2nd voice), Guilherme Lopes (The Path to Power), João Batista (DBZ episode 285)
- Italian dub: Pietro Ubaldi
- Dragon Ball
- Android 8 vs. General White
List of Characters Killed by Android 8
- Dragon Ball
- General White - Killed when Android 8 punched him straight through the wall and out of Muscle Tower.
- In the Viz manga, Goku calls Android 8 "8-man" while in the anime and Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Goku calls him "Eighter."
- "8-Man" might be a reference to the manga character of the .
- Android 8 bears a heavy resemblance to Boris Karloff's famous interpretation of Frankenstein's monster from .
- Android 8 has also been called Franky, in reference to his resemblance to Frankenstein's monster.
- His nickname in the Latin American dub, "Octavio", comes from the Latin word octa which means "eight". is also a real name that is common in the region.
- Android 8 seems to be a nature-loving android, like Android 16. Also, he shares a few other traits with Android 16: they both became friendly (although 16 still shows animosity towards Goku), they loved nature, are much larger than their companions, faced a tragic end, and their deaths fueled enough rage within Goku and Gohan to triumph over the villain that had killed them (Commander Black in the The Path to Power and Cell, respectively).
- Android 17 asserts during the Androids Saga of Dragon Ball Z that Dr. Gero destroyed the first fifteen Androids he designed, which contradicts Android 8's appearances in Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT, presumably either because 17 and 18 never knew of the still alive 8's whereabouts (since he now lives in Jingle Village), or Dr. Gero lied to the twins about it.
- In Dr. Slump, the character of Frankenstein is a direct parody and reference to the Frankenstein's monster who appears as one of the resident of Penguin Village. Both characters are apparently based upon the monster from author Mary Shelly's classic novel Frankenstein.
- Additionally both Frankenstein's monster and Android 8 are artificial lifeforms created from a human base (the Frankenstein's monster was created from human corpses and certain sources state Android 8 was created using a human corpse) that rebel against their creators.